• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RGM79

I'm guessing since I haven't gotten that many comments back on this that this is a good build, right?

No complaints from me. Just keep in mind that to get the best performance out of the Pentium G3258, you will want to overclock it, and that means you'll want to get an aftermarket cooler. It's $20 for the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo and it fits in the Antec 300. Well, if you want part suggestions.. the only ones I have will increase the cost of your PC.

The Asus Z97-E/USB3.1 motherboard is $75 after $40 rebate. Yes, it costs more money at first, but if you don't mind rebates, then for around $7 more than the cheapest MSI Z97 motherboard, you could get the cheapest Asus Z97 motherboard that comes with USB 3.1 ports. For about $10 more than the WD Blue 1TB, you could get a Toshiba 2TB drive. Also, the XFX R7 370 is available for $100.. but seems to be on par with the R9 270. Can't figure out which one is better for sure, they're nearly the same performance-wise.

Alternatively, you could pick up an i3 processor and a cheaper motherboard instead that wouldn't need an aftermarket cooler because it can't be overclocked.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-4160 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor ($96.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Asus H81M-D PLUS Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($41.00 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Team Dark 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($28.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Toshiba 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R7 370 2GB Double Dissipation Video Card ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $326.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-28 02:24 EST-0500

Whether the Pentium or the i3 will perform better for games will depend on which games you are looking at. Some games will run just fine on two cores and benefit from higher clock speed from overclocking, while other games will run better on the i3's hyperthreading that makes it act like a quad core. It can be said that going with the Pentium build is a bit better if you are willing to overclock, and the Z97 motherboard would be a better match for a potential upgrade to an i5 4690K that would also be overclockable.. whereas the i3 build's cheaper motherboard wouldn't be very well suited to overclocking at all and be best paired with something like an i5 4460 or 4590.

Hey fellas, I have a monitor question. I've been thinking about upgrading to a 144hz monitor for a while, and while that's all well and good for games where I can get 144 FPS (and more) like League of Legends or something, what do I do for games where I'll be unable to achieve 144? Do I change the refresh rate in the game menu to something I can achieve? For example, if I turn the refresh rate setting in Elite: dangerous or Battlefield 4 to 60 hz, will it be like I'm playing on a 60hz monitor? or is a 144 hz monitor somehow worse at playing games at 60 FPS?

Hopefully I made sense. What I'm wondering is if getting a 144 hz monitor will degrade my 60 FPS gaming experience at all through the introduction of tearing or jittering or anything like that, or by simply not being as "smooth."

ssjChris

Neo Member
Building my rig next week and I'm checking over everything to make sure everything checks out. One thing that has been bugging me is what RAM does my motherboard take? (X99 - USB 3.1 model, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132517)

Newegg recommended DDR4 SDRAM with the board so that's what I got. Then the product page (http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/X99PROUSB_31/specifications/) says DIMM DDR4. I hope I'm being overly paranoid but I wanted to make sure I have the right RAM before my friend and I start to build my rig next week.

RGM79

Building my rig next week and I'm checking over everything to make sure everything checks out. One thing that has been bugging me is what RAM does my motherboard take? (X99 - USB 3.1 model, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132517)

Newegg recommended DDR4 SDRAM with the board so that's what I got. Then the product page (http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/X99PROUSB_31/specifications/) says DIMM DDR4. I hope I'm being overly paranoid but I wanted to make sure I have the right RAM before my friend and I start to build my rig next week.

They're both referring to the same thing. SDRAM refers to the type of memory technology it is, while DIMM refers to the physical size and design.

Pkaz01

It's not bad value for the money, you are getting quite a lot of stuff and it's a strong PC that will be competitive and capable for quite a few years. The water cooler is kinda iffy, no idea how well it'll handle overclocking since it's a low end water cooler with no real reviews available. The prebuilt PC spreads out money on other stuff like a higher wattage power supply, a larger hard drive, more RAM, a wifi adaptor, and a blu ray drive. Usually prebuilt PCs tend to skimp on the motherboard and power supply. The Gigabyte Z97 motherboard is good, but the lack of any info on the PSU even if it is a 1000 watt model is a little worrying. Personally, I would have focused on getting a better graphics card instead, like the following example parts list:

This doesn't include any extras like mouse/keyboard/headset/etc that came with your order, though. And my build gets a stronger graphics card but at the expense of going a bit barebones on other parts. There's nothing really wrong with your PC order except for the unknown power supply and the cheap water cooler which will probably be fine if you're not overclocking.

Thank you for the response! I should have probably checked beforehand but it sounds like itll be good enough for a first timer. i'll keep an eye on the cooler in case i need to upgrade it, but at least im aware now of what to look out for :)

No complaints from me. Just keep in mind that to get the best performance out of the Pentium G3258, you will want to overclock it, and that means you'll want to get an aftermarket cooler. It's $20 for the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo and it fits in the Antec 300. Well, if you want part suggestions.. the only ones I have will increase the cost of your PC.

The Asus Z97-E/USB3.1 motherboard is $75 after $40 rebate. Yes, it costs more money at first, but if you don't mind rebates, then for around $7 more than the cheapest MSI Z97 motherboard, you could get the cheapest Asus Z97 motherboard that comes with USB 3.1 ports. For about $10 more than the WD Blue 1TB, you could get a Toshiba 2TB drive. Also, the XFX R7 370 is available for $100.. but seems to be on par with the R9 270. Can't figure out which one is better for sure, they're nearly the same performance-wise.

Alternatively, you could pick up an i3 processor and a cheaper motherboard instead that wouldn't need an aftermarket cooler because it can't be overclocked.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-4160 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor ($96.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Asus H81M-D PLUS Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($41.00 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Team Dark 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($28.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Toshiba 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R7 370 2GB Double Dissipation Video Card ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $326.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-28 02:24 EST-0500

Whether the Pentium or the i3 will perform better for games will depend on which games you are looking at. Some games will run just fine on two cores and benefit from higher clock speed from overclocking, while other games will run better on the i3's hyperthreading that makes it act like a quad core. It can be said that going with the Pentium build is a bit better if you are willing to overclock, and the Z97 motherboard would be a better match for a potential upgrade to an i5 4690K that would also be overclockable.. whereas the i3 build's cheaper motherboard wouldn't be very well suited to overclocking at all and be best paired with something like an i5 4460 or 4590.

Thanks for the input.

As far as CPU goes, I do prefer the idea of upgrading to something more powerful later, so I think I'll go with the Pentium over the i3.

And I noticed that you went with 1 8GB RAM stick over 2 4GB sticks. Is there any advantage/disadvantage to that, or is it just because it's cheaper?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Got a fractal design R4 and have successfully moved my PC innards into it. That was fun. The cable management stuff made it a really pleasant build.

Now I'm just waiting for my 960 4GB and ram.

RGM79

Thanks for the input.

As far as the mobo goes, according to PCPartPicker, the MSI board I looked at is actually cheaper than the ASUS one after both a coupon code & rebate at SuperBiiz.

As far as CPU goes, I do prefer the idea of upgrading to something more powerful later, so I think I'll go with the Pentium over the i3.

And I noticed that you went with 1 8GB RAM stick over 2 4GB sticks. Is there any advantage/disadvantage to that, or is it just because it's cheaper?

The only reason I did that was because the H81 motherboard only had two RAM slots, the single stick of RAM is to keep the second slot open for adding RAM in the future if needed. If you have two sticks then it's technically because because it can run faster in dual channel mode, but I don't think it affects most if not all games.

The only reason I did that was because the H81 motherboard only had two RAM slots, the single stick of RAM is to keep the second slot open for adding RAM in the future if needed. If you have two sticks then it's technically because because it can run faster in dual channel mode, but I don't think it affects most if not all games.

OK then. Guess I'll stick with the RAM I already selected then. Anyway, just out of curiosity (because I ran into these while looking for fans to add to my case, since it has 3 fan ports unused right now), but are PCI slot fans good for anything?

The Hermit

So I just pulled the plug on the R9 390 Gigabyte.

I am a bit tense because of the manufacturer, never bought anything from them before.

RGM79

OK then. Guess I'll stick with the RAM I already selected then. Anyway, just out of curiosity (because I ran into these while looking for fans to add to my case, since it has 3 fan ports unused right now), but are PCI slot fans good for anything?

PCI slot fans? You mean these things? I haven't used one in about 8 years. I don't really think they're that useful.

Shepard

Guys, my mobo died yesterday after, without giving any previous signs of malfunction. I'm thinking of going full skylake i7 6700k + Asus Maximus VIIi now since I'll have to change it. The only thing that is making me nervous is I'm seeing lots of complains online about Asus mobos, and since I never had one, I'd like to know if they are reliable or if I should go gigabyte again (or other brand).

TimFL

Hello GAF,

had to lose some cash in order to not get bothered by my bank so I finally made the jump to get a new PC (currently rocking i7-920 4@2,67ghz, 6gb slow DDR3 and Radeon HD7950 3GB@850?mhz).

I have the following parts ordered already:

- Corsair Carbide 500R Case
- Intel i7 6700k CPU
- Corsair Cooling Hydro H100i GTX
- Asus MAXIMUS VIII Hero Gaming Mainboard
- Corsair 4x8GB (32GB) DDR4 @ 2800Mhz
- EVGA GTX980Ti 6GB Superclocked+ ACX2.0+
- Samsung 850 Evo 250GB SSD 2,5"

PCPartPicker List (incl. old PSU from current build)
The total was around 1980€ I think.

I plan on using the remaining parts from my PC (I'll use a netgear wifi stick that works great and the old optical drive, also plan on using the old 2009 HDD for programmes and most games as it still runs great).
My question is: I have a PSU from Thermaltake (630w) that I think is the one I added to the pcpartpicker list. Will that one work with the parts I ordered? If not, which PSU should I get (I don't plan on going SLI in the future so I wont need 700w+?)?
Anything I am missing (or something you would recommend getting ontop of the parts?)? The parts should be here by dec 8-11 (had to buy the CPU and case on amazon, CPU was sadly out of stock by the time I hit buy).

Did I mess up somewhere? I had 4 computer-building friends look over it and they all gave their thumbs up. This is actually the build one of them plans on getting next year.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
On my old/current computer I have a evo 212 cpu cooler, which was kind of sucky, so I put replaced the 212's stock fan with a scythe typhoon and at the back of the case added a cougar vortex fan (in push pull) and suddenly temps were like 10-15C lower and more stable just from changing out 2 fans, and everything was much quieter too.

I kinda want to get a prebuilt watercooling kit like a corsair h100 or an NZXT. Am I going to benefit greatly with respect to noise and temps with water cooling over something like the above? Also how long does a watercooling typically last, and when it dies is it likely to get water anywhere? I'm willing to spend 100-150 on cpu cooling.

Matty8787

On my old/current computer I have a evo 212 cpu cooler, which was kind of sucky, so I put replaced the stock fan with a noctua and at the back of the case added a cougar fan and suddenly temps were like 10-15C lower and more stable just from changing out 2 fans, and everything was much quieter too.

I kinda want to get a prebuilt watercooling kit like a corsair h100 or an NZXT. Am I going to benefit greatly with respect to noise and temps with water cooling over something like the above? Also how long does a watercooling typically last, and when it dies is it likely to get water anywhere? I'm willing to spend 100-150 on cpu cooling.

The 212 is a fantastic cooler.

I have had it for years with no problems, although tempted to get a corsair kit myself.

Kud Dukan

To me when I buy a monitor I buy it to last a good while. My last one I used for 6 years (and is now an extra TV in the house). I went to an XB270HU and I expect to use it for 5 years ish too.

I ended up buying mine as a refurb (~$500 USD), otherwise I might have waited a bit longer. But, I'd splurge on a good monitor if you can. They outlast most components in my experience (save for maybe PSU and case).

Yeah, I think I'm going to go for it. I know if I don't, I'll regret it down the line, and I'm not interested in getting new monitors frequently. Thanks for the help guys!

ZQQLANDER

Quick question. My friend mentioned that I may want to get a solid state hard drive as it's mainly a gaming computer.

So I should get a SSHD in addition to a normal hard drive?

How large a SSHD should I get if I want to fit Windows 10 on it?

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
The 212 is a fantastic cooler.

I have had it for years with no problems, although tempted to get a corsair kit myself.

Somehow it wasn't working very well in my setup until I added a couple relatively cheap fans scythe typoon (sorry, said noctua earlier, was wrong) on the cooler itself, and a cougar vortex at the back of my case right behind the cooler. Maybe my case was too small or too stuffed with shit?

I'm looking at my core temps and they're averaging about 28C on idle with a lynnfield i5 OC'd from 2.66 to 3.63 for 5-6 years. With the 212's stock fan I swear I was idling at like 40-45 for some reason.

Anyways yeah I just want to know if watercooling is worth the price difference.

scottzorus

Neo Member
I'm looking at getting a motherboard that can support dual monitors with onboard video. I know the Msi z97 can, do you have any other suggestions?

Asrock h97 with an i3-4160 might be what I'm looking for too. Anyone able to confirm I could do dual monitor with just onboard with those parts? At 1080/60

OraleeWey

Is EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply a good power supply? The XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply is out of stock at SuperBiiz.

Edit: SuperBiiz isn't letting me checkout :p

Do I need to have an account with them if I'm using PayPal?

Edit 2: Yes I had to have an account with them. Also they charge you shipping per item, not per "box". I'm looking at $34.xx

Most other 120mm AIO water coolers should fit. I'm not sure what you mean by best, are you only looking for best cooling performance? Does noise level matter? Or is there a certain price that you're looking for?

Best cooling. The rad will be placed at the front of the case so the fan(s) there will be my intake too.

I'm not sure if a double thick rad would be possible (or even worth it over single) but I'll likely go for push/pull fan combination.

Syril

Okay, I've got pretty much everything taken care of now; the only part I have left to figure out is that power supply. Here's what it will be going with.

CPU: i5 6600k
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Video: GTX 970 4GB
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory

The last time I got a power supply it came included in my case. I was lucky because it turned out to be the right one, despite apparently providing less power than its label indicated, but it means I'm not really sure what to look for, especially in light of the aforementioned deceptive label. Any recommendations?

Crisium

Hey fellas, I have a monitor question. I've been thinking about upgrading to a 144hz monitor for a while, and while that's all well and good for games where I can get 144 FPS (and more) like League of Legends or something, what do I do for games where I'll be unable to achieve 144? Do I change the refresh rate in the game menu to something I can achieve? For example, if I turn the refresh rate setting in Elite: dangerous or Battlefield 4 to 60 hz, will it be like I'm playing on a 60hz monitor? or is a 144 hz monitor somehow worse at playing games at 60 FPS?

Hopefully I made sense. What I'm wondering is if getting a 144 hz monitor will degrade my 60 FPS gaming experience at all through the introduction of tearing or jittering or anything like that, or by simply not being as "smooth."

You can try either and do what is best. I have Freesync, but I very briefly tried Freesync off in Battlefront where I get between 60-75fps mostly and I personally didn't see tearing, so you could try this. Then you can compare this to the 60Hz on the monitor (some games let you choose, otherwise manually do it in Windows) with V Sync and see what you like best.

The TX3 EVO in my computer seems to help the CPU temps a bit, but not well enough in my tastes.

I'm thinking of getting something nicer that I can obtain, and unfortunately my choices are rather limited here.

What would you get out of Corsair H55, H60, H75, and H80i GT? Or should I just accept that the CPU's going to be a bit hotter than ideal? The CPU can hit really high temperatures about 75C during combined CPU + GPU usage, where the case becomes quite warm, compounded with a 30C room temp. (All case exhausts are working fine, and the hot air does get out effectively when the load's gone, but... yeah, the CPU heat isn't too good to think about.

has anyone had problem with Origin on Win10 crashing on startup? The error log basically talks about the config containing invalid *somethingsomething*URLs of one sort or another.

Why are motherboards from like 3 years ago still so expensive...
*edit*
It seems like it may be easier to just buy a new processor/mobo instead of paying a zillion bucks on old hardware

LilJoka

Why are motherboards from like 3 years ago still so expensive...
*edit*
It seems like it may be easier to just buy a new processor/mobo instead of paying a zillion bucks on old hardware

Because nothing has really improved in terms of CPUs. You can grab a z77 board and a 3770 non-k and overclock it easily to match a 4790k. So prices won't move.

Because nothing has really improved in terms of CPUs. You can grab a z77 board and a 3770 non-k and overclock it easily to match a 4790k. So prices won't move.

I see...

I honestly just built my rig for a Hackintosh a few years ago but having an R4 taking up my small studio apartment has become a pain.

Moltenix

GAF, I just put in an order for this set of parts: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/WKRwdC

Will be reusing my existing Intel SSD. But yeah, this will be my first PC build ever. I'll be coming from a prebuilt Dell XPS 8300 (i5-2320, 8gb Ram, 750ti). Yeah yeah, I know, a Dell, but it's held up very nicely for about 3 years now.

Am I gonna be blown away with these new parts?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Quick question: I picked up a 500 GB SSD and a new case. I want to reinstall everything fresh when I move everything to the new case. Now, I have a Win7 key but upgraded to Win 10. Do I need to reinstall Win7 and upgrade to Win10 again? Or can I install Win10 via USB and use my Win7 key?

LilJoka

I see...

I honestly just built my rig for a Hackintosh a few years ago but having an R4 taking up my small studio apartment has become a pain.

Yeah I had an extremely hard time getting old ITX boards for my friends who I wanted to get into PC gaming with small builds, nothing's changed in the last 3 years. I'm still looking for a bargain 3770k to upgrade my 3770 but it's not happening.

Assume your looking to just migrate your parts to ITX too?

forrest

formerly nacire
Well I finalized my build and everything has been ordered. The first shipments should start arriving as early as tomorrow.

Already have:

Case: Ncase M1 v.4
GFX Card: MSI GTX 970 4G Gaming Twin Frozr

The rest:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/HBHqjX

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14 CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock X99E-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA2011-3 Narrow Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2666 Memory
Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Power Supply: Silverstone 600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply
Optical Drive: Panasonic UJ-265 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Case Fan x5: Noctua NF-S12B redux-1200 PWM 59.1 CFM 120mm Fan

I still need to print my invoices and request the free mounting kit from Noctua to make the cooler compatible with the socket and the Optical Drive is out of stock at the moment. Other than that, the parts are done.

On a final note, I'm still contemplating buying the tools to customize the psu cables to specific lengths as the case is that tight of a fit, but I haven't decided yet. I'm more than capable, but not sure if I want to invest the time/money/effort as I'm sure I could probably tidy it up well enough with zip ties and planning. I definitely won't be sleeving them if I do decide to shorten them.

LilJoka

Well I finalized my build and everything has been ordered. The first shipments should start arriving as early as tomorrow.

Already have:

Case: Ncase M1 v.4
GFX Card: MSI GTX 970 4G Gaming Twin Frozr

The rest:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/HBHqjX

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14 CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock X99E-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA2011-3 Narrow Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2666 Memory
Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Power Supply: Silverstone 600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply
Optical Drive: Panasonic UJ-265 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Case Fan x5: Noctua NF-S12B redux-1200 PWM 59.1 CFM 120mm Fan

I still need to print my invoices and request the free mounting kit from Noctua to make the cooler compatible with the socket and the Optical Drive is out of stock at the moment. Other than that, the parts are done.

On a final note, I'm still contemplating buying the tools to customize the psu cables to specific lengths as the case is that tight of a fit, but I haven't decided yet. I'm more than capable, but not sure if I want to invest the time/money/effort as I'm sure I could probably tidy it up well enough with zip ties and planning. I definitely won't be sleeving them if I do decide to shorten them.

Looking forward to many photos of this build.

stanley1993

Neo Member
Hey guys. Someone helped me a lot for my last pc build in these threads, and that pc is working great. Now I need a new pc for business purposes. I am looking for the best PC for 300-400 dollars. It has to be equipped with at least 128gb SSD. This pc will run a lot of business apps. No gaming. Just has to be able to run multiple apps at the same time smoothly. For example, Microsoft office, internet, and custom business software, so I am looking for a good cpu.

Also, I am thinking about a new monitor. What is the best quality cheap 1080p monitor? Again, not for gaming purposes, so hertz is not a problem but color quality is.

LilJoka

I'm looking at benches of these new i series CPU's and I'm really impressed even the i3 6100 outperforms my current i5 3470 seems like these are a fairly big jump across the board.

http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/414/Intel_Core_i3_i3-6100_vs_Intel_Core_i5_i5-3470.html

Nothing impressive there. i5 3470 will be better in games than a i3 6100, its clock for clock about 15% faster, but you have 4 cores. Games are starting to take advantage of 4 cores and even 6 cores, that will scale better than a small architectural improvement right now.

bomblord1

Banned
3470 better in multithgreaded scenarios by a bigger margin than it loses in other areas. You want better multithreaded performance going forward.

I emulate on my PC as much as if not more than I play regular games. Single threaded performance is king there.

However, I was just talking across the board I was impressed that's an entry level i3 with better single threaded performance than my mid tier i5. The i5 6600K blows my CPU out of the water if we're comparing similar ones.

LilJoka

I emulate on my PC as much as if not more than I play regular games. Single threaded performance is king there.

However, I was just talking across the board I was impressed that's an entry level i3 with better single threaded performance than my mid tier i5. The i5 6600K blows my CPU out of the water if we're comparing similar ones.

For emulation, it was Haswell that brought the improvements, especially for Dolphin, afaik nobody on their forum knows exactly why, but it was big. But yes you expect as a minimum about 10% jump each gen from Intel on a single thread basis. But really, a highly clocked i7 3770k or 3570k would do great too for 90% of emulation. Particular titles like Twilight princess really benefit, nearly all the hyrule field lag is gone on Haswell CPUs and beyond.

RGM79

Guys, my mobo died yesterday after, without giving any previous signs of malfunction. I'm thinking of going full skylake i7 6700k + Asus Maximus VIIi now since I'll have to change it. The only thing that is making me nervous is I'm seeing lots of complains online about Asus mobos, and since I never had one, I'd like to know if they are reliable or if I should go gigabyte again (or other brand).

Depends on the model you're looking at. Every brand has good and bad motherboards.

I am half tempted to get rid of my official reference 970's and get a 390 and a free sync monitor.

Good idea or not?

Have you considered getting a G-sync monitor?

Quick question. My friend mentioned that I may want to get a solid state hard drive as it's mainly a gaming computer.

So I should get a SSHD in addition to a normal hard drive?

How large a SSHD should I get if I want to fit Windows 10 on it?

Hybrid drives aren't recommended. Either get just a hard drive or a separate hard drive and a solid state drive.

I'm looking at getting a motherboard that can support dual monitors with onboard video. I know the Msi z97 can, do you have any other suggestions?

Asrock h97 with an i3-4160 might be what I'm looking for too. Anyone able to confirm I could do dual monitor with just onboard with those parts? At 1080/60

Just about every recent generation Intel processor and motherboard will handle dual monitors. What monitors and cables do you have? You'll want a motherboard with the appropriate output connectors so you can hook up everything with the right cables. You don't mean you'll be doing any kind of gaming though, will you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom