• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

OraleeWey

Oh, was your computer acting weird and you think you might have damaged it?
Not really. All seems good. Only reason I do it is because I think it turns on automatically by itself. Sometimes I come home and find it either on or "asleep". Oddly enough it only happens when I'm away for a long period of time. Sometimes I think someone turns it on - on purpose to mess with me but I'm assuming at this point.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
My apologies upfront if I'm asking an ignorant question here - I tried to read all of the older posts to ensure I at least have a grasp on how things operate in this thread. I've been out of the PC market for quite some time, so any help here would be great appreciated.

I configured the following at Lenovo as I need a new workstation - something that is a bit of an all-rounder. My budget is up to around 5K CAD.

Code:
Intel Xeon E5-1650 v3 Processor (15MB Cache, 3.50GHz) 
Windows 10 Pro 64 
Windows 10 Pro 64 English 
32GB DDR4 2133MHz ECC RDIMM 
NVIDIA Quadro K2200 4GB (DVI+2DP) 
2 x Display Port to HDMI Dongle 
DVI to VGA Dongle 
Sound Blaster Z Audio Card 
Intel Integrated Controller 
Yes 
2.5" 256GB SATA Solid State Drive (OPAL) 
2TB+8GB Hybrid Hard Drive, 3.5", SATA 
Rambo8 DVD Burner/CD-RW SATA 
Blu-ray with bus encryption 
9 in 1 Media Card Reader 
ThinkServer 10Gbps Ethernet X540-T2 Server Adapter by Intel 
eSATA Rear I/O 
USB Full Keyboard - English 
Lenovo USB Optical Wheel Mouse 
LineCord - US 
Tower 490W 90% Power 
Publication - English 
Key Lock Kit With Unique Key 
3 Year On-site 
ThinkVision T2224z 21.5" WVA FHD LED LCD Monitor - Webcam, USB Hub, VOIP Capable 
Microsoft® Office Professional 2016 Activation Card 
Accessories 
Lenovo Gaming Mechanical Keyboard 
Lenovo Gaming Mouse Mat 
ThinkPad Precision Wireless Mouse - Midnight Black 
Lenovo HDMI to VGA Monitor Adapter

This came out to about 4100 CAD before tax. Is this a good buy? A good configuration? Can I do better for the budget?

I'm getting the urge to upgrade but I want your guys opinion.

Current Specs
I5-2500K (Stock Speeds lol)
GTX 970
ASUS P8Z68 V-PRO/ GEN 3 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB DDR3 SDRAM 1600

Truthfully this does most everything I could ask of it but not getting a more solid framerate in fallout 4 kinda bums me out.

I was thinking either
1. Finally getting around to OC'ing my CPU I even have a 212 EVO cooler installed.
2. Getting 16GB of some faster RAM
3. Getting like a 256gb SSD to supplement my current 128gb drive to put some of my more played games on it.

OR

Just getting a new computer minus the GPU. Though i'm not really up to speed on what the CPU market looks like right now.

Joco

So I'm trying a first time build which just so happens to be mitx. I know it's supposedly more difficult to build in but the small form factor and portability is what I'm after. I posted on reddit to get some feedback but I thought I'd ask here as well. I bought a 1080p 144hz monitor as I'm looking to play CS:GO, League of Legends, Dota 2, and maybe the occasional CRPG. XCOM 2 once it comes out as well.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: ASRock H97M-ITX/AC Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Crucial MX200 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Additional Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Node 304 Mini ITX Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

Someone recommended I get a 970 but that seems like massive overkill for what I'm planning on playing. I'm assuming the 750 ti can do 1080p 144hz in the MOBAs and CS GO but if I'm wrong someone correct me. Also the power supply unit I'm not really sure of so if someone could point me to a better one that would be appreciated.

I have a few questions about the next build I'm planning. It's going to be a rig that hopefully can deal with a lot of processing power.

I am currently running a 5200rpm HDD as my secondary that holds all of my games, my work files, my Me files, and all my dev files. It feeds off a 113gb SSD OS. I'm getting a lot of skips.

Here's what I'm trying to build for my new rig:

I really like the speed of my OS SSD and can get a free primary SSD with the current build I have picked out online. So I don' t need to worry about that.

But I don't want the speed to fuck up/skip between my programs and playing games and doing programs. Especially when I'm doing devwork.

So that's why I don't just buy the 8tb WD 7200rpm on sale for Black Friday as my secondary, even though it's *far* less money. I'd like to get everything on SSD this time around. So that means the 250gb OS, a 500gb - 1.5tb for devwork, and a 2 - 2.5tb for games.

I'm not quite sure how much power or speed I'd need for processing for UE4. I'm already looking at a variety of graphics cards ranging from 2GB to 12GB and 32GB 2800mhz RAM.

My question is this: should I just grab the 8tb? Does 7200rpm - is that going to be significantly slower than the SSD OS?

Current Specs
GTX 970

Truthfully this does most everything I could ask of it but not getting a more solid framerate in fallout 4 kinda bums me out.

I was thinking either
1. Finally getting around to OC'ing my CPU I even have a 212 EVO cooler installed.
3. Getting like a 256gb SSD to supplement my current 128gb drive to put some of my more played games on it.

OR

Just getting a new computer minus the GPU. Though i'm not really up to speed on what the CPU market looks like right now.
I actually have a very similar setup. 2500K, 970, P8Z68-V Pro/3 lol.

I would definitely OC your CPU. You can easily get it to 4.2 or 4.3, it'll make a big difference. I'm assuming you're playing at 1080p. Oh, you're going to want an aftermarket cooler if you don't already have one. Keep it simple, just go for the Hyper 212 Evo. (edit: just saw you already have the evo. overclock!!)

I would also advise you to do a bit of reading as to which settings/effects are the most intensive in FO4. I don't know if there's an Nvidia guide, but take a look.

edit2: if you have any trouble overclocking I can probably help you out, since we have the same setup.

e90Mark

I wanna try 120/144hz on CSGO. I have a 570 currently and I see a 960 and 980 in the BST thread. Would one of these get me a stable frame rate over 144 at 1080p maxed out? Or should I wait for Pascal? Haven't bought a monitor yet, but thinking of getting the XL2411Z.

jordyn11

Neo Member
Hey Guys,

Quick and possibly odd question. Currently I have 16gb DDR3 Ram @ 1633 in 2 x 8gb sticks. Would this be better than 12gb of DDr3 @ 2000 in 2x 4gb (Patriot Sector 7) and 2 x 2gb (Patriot G Series)?

Is the 2nd part even a option?

Thanks in advance

4r5

Hi all,
I'm trying to build a small form-factor streaming PC that I can lug around to various fighting game events and such. The primary use would be to record and stream console games. (PS4, 60fps @ 1080p) Secondarily, I'd like to use this as a kind of Steam Box to play games on, specificly, Street Fighter V. Right now I am using an Avermedia Live Gamer Portable for my streaming and recording. Latter I would like to move towards and internal card.

Here's what I've slapped together at pcpartpicker. I'm wondering how much money I can shave off of this?
Code:
PCPartPicker part list: [url]http://pcpartpicker.com/p/NnRLQ7[/url]
Price breakdown by merchant: [url]http://pcpartpicker.com/p/NnRLQ7/by_merchant/[/url]

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($209.99 @ Newegg) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master GeminII M4 58.4 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($30.61 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($88.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($35.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.98 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB FTW ACX 2.0+ Video Card  ($255.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced (Black) Mini ITX Tower Case  ($49.99 @ NCIX US) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($67.15 @ SuperBiiz) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 OEM (64-bit)  ($141.98 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $930.67
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-27 19:33 EST-0500

Street Fighter V's PC requirements are:
Code:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/310950/

System Requirements
MINIMUM: 
Processor: Intel Core i3-4160 @ 3.60GHz 
Memory: 6 GB RAM 
Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 480, GTX 570, GTX 670, or better 
DirectX: Version 11 
Network: Broadband Internet connection 
Sound Card: DirectX compatible soundcard or onboard chipset

RECOMMENDED: 
Processor: Intel Core i5-4690K @3.50GHz 
Memory: 8 GB RAM 
Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 960 

Just to make sure I'm following the OP right:
[Basic Desktop Questions]
  • My Current Build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/NnRLQ7 - See above
  • Budget: $1,000 or less. United States.
  • Main Use: Streaming games, 60fps @ 1080p.
  • Monitor Resolution: 1020 x 1080
  • List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Street Fighter V @ 60fps
  • Looking to reuse any parts?: No.
  • When will you build?: By New Year.
  • Will you be overclocking?: No.

RGM79

My apologies upfront if I'm asking an ignorant question here - I tried to read all of the older posts to ensure I at least have a grasp on how things operate in this thread. I've been out of the PC market for quite some time, so any help here would be great appreciated.

I configured the following at Lenovo as I need a new workstation - something that is a bit of an all-rounder. My budget is up to around 5K CAD.

Code:
Intel Xeon E5-1650 v3 Processor (15MB Cache, 3.50GHz) 
Windows 10 Pro 64 
Windows 10 Pro 64 English 
32GB DDR4 2133MHz ECC RDIMM 
NVIDIA Quadro K2200 4GB (DVI+2DP) 
2 x Display Port to HDMI Dongle 
DVI to VGA Dongle 
Sound Blaster Z Audio Card 
Intel Integrated Controller 
Yes 
2.5" 256GB SATA Solid State Drive (OPAL) 
2TB+8GB Hybrid Hard Drive, 3.5", SATA 
Rambo8 DVD Burner/CD-RW SATA 
Blu-ray with bus encryption 
9 in 1 Media Card Reader 
ThinkServer 10Gbps Ethernet X540-T2 Server Adapter by Intel 
eSATA Rear I/O 
USB Full Keyboard - English 
Lenovo USB Optical Wheel Mouse 
LineCord - US 
Tower 490W 90% Power 
Publication - English 
Key Lock Kit With Unique Key 
3 Year On-site 
ThinkVision T2224z 21.5" WVA FHD LED LCD Monitor - Webcam, USB Hub, VOIP Capable 
Microsoft® Office Professional 2016 Activation Card 
Accessories 
Lenovo Gaming Mechanical Keyboard 
Lenovo Gaming Mouse Mat 
ThinkPad Precision Wireless Mouse - Midnight Black 
Lenovo HDMI to VGA Monitor Adapter

This came out to about 4100 CAD before tax. Is this a good buy? A good configuration? Can I do better for the budget?

I'm not sure if any of us are that well versed when it comes to high end workstations. What is the computer going to be used for?

Current Specs
GTX 970

I was thinking either

OR

The most cost effective thing you can do is overclock your processor. It's not that far off from current generation i5 processors in terms of performance. As for the RAM, 8GB should be enough for most users in nearly all situations, but faster RAM apparently does help Fallout 4. RAM isn't that expensive, so that's an option. And yes, a larger SSD would be very nice to have.

What's your budget for upgrades?

A difference of only $8? Go for it if you like.

So I'm trying a first time build which just so happens to be mitx. I know it's supposedly more difficult to build in but the small form factor and portability is what I'm after. I posted on reddit to get some feedback but I thought I'd ask here as well. I bought a 1080p 144hz monitor as I'm looking to play CS:GO, League of Legends, Dota 2, and maybe the occasional CRPG. XCOM 2 once it comes out as well.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: ASRock H97M-ITX/AC Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Crucial MX200 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Additional Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Node 304 Mini ITX Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

Someone recommended I get a 970 but that seems like massive overkill for what I'm planning on playing. I'm assuming the 750 ti can do 1080p 144hz in the MOBAs and CS GO but if I'm wrong someone correct me. Also the power supply unit I'm not really sure of so if someone could point me to a better one that would be appreciated.

A 750 Ti will handle every game you mentioned just fine, with the exception of XCOM 2. We don't know enough about that game yet to recommend graphics cards. While a GTX 970 is overkill for CSGO and MOBA games, it would better allow you to take advantage of a monitor with 144Hz refresh rate if you ever wanted to play newer games that would be more demanding.

How much do all of those parts cost? PCPartPicker has build list sharing options that you can use to show us. Maybe we can help you optimize costs for performance.

Current Specs
GTX 970

I was thinking either

OR

Got a very similar setup. Overclock to 4.4Ghz and you'll be sweet.

No need to upgrade at the moment.

Fry's had the MSI X99A RAIDER (not a joke, the actual name) for $140 - $20 MIR = $120.

So now I need to find a CPU to put on it and some DDR memory to go with it.

Broadwell-E isn't due until earliest March and possibly as late as June, so I wonder if I should just get Haswell-E and some DDR4 and be done with it. Alternatively I could just return the motherboard to Fry's and forget it LOL

The most cost effective thing you can do is overclock your processor. It's not that far off from current generation i5 processors in terms of performance. As for the RAM, 8GB should be enough for most users in nearly all situations, but faster RAM apparently does help Fallout 4. RAM isn't that expensive, so that's an option. And yes, a larger SSD would be very nice to have.

What's your budget for upgrades?
If I go the upgrade route I was think around 300 dollars for the RAM and the SSD. The Current SSD I have is from Crucial and I've had zero problems with it, are they still the go to company? As for the RAM I think I have to use DDR3 with my motherboard right?

Current Specs
GTX 970

I was thinking either

OR

stock speeds on 2500k????? Oc that sucker

RGM79

I have a few questions about the next build I'm planning. It's going to be a rig that hopefully can deal with a lot of processing power.

I am currently running a 5200rpm HDD as my secondary that holds all of my games, my work files, my Me files, and all my dev files. It feeds off a 113gb SSD OS. I'm getting a lot of skips.

Here's what I'm trying to build for my new rig:

I really like the speed of my OS SSD and can get a free primary SSD with the current build I have picked out online. So I don' t need to worry about that.

But I don't want the speed to fuck up/skip between my programs and playing games and doing programs. Especially when I'm doing devwork.

So that's why I don't just buy the 8tb WD 7200rpm on sale for Black Friday as my secondary, even though it's *far* less money. I'd like to get everything on SSD this time around. So that means the 250gb OS, a 500gb - 1.5tb for devwork, and a 2 - 2.5tb for games.

I'm not quite sure how much power or speed I'd need for processing for UE4. I'm already looking at a variety of graphics cards ranging from 2GB to 12GB and 32GB 2800mhz RAM.

My question is this: should I just grab the 8tb? Does 7200rpm - is that going to be significantly slower than the SSD OS?

Yes, it'll feel slower. One great advantage of SSDs are the extremely fast seek times, a hard drive needs to spin up and move a reading arm to find and read the data that you're looking at whereas SSDs obviously don't need to do that.

I wanna try 120/144hz on CSGO. I have a 570 currently and I see a 960 and 980 in the BST thread. Would one of these get me a stable frame rate over 144 at 1080p maxed out? Or should I wait for Pascal? Haven't bought a monitor yet, but thinking of getting the XL2411Z.

What are the rest of your PC's specs? The CPU will also play a part in how high the framerate can go. As a rule of thumb, you'll want a stronger graphics card not only for higher framerate, but for lower dips when the framerate does drop during more intensive parts of games. As far as I can see however, the GTX 960 should meet your needs quite well. This video shows a GTX 960 running CSGO maxed out at 1080p, delivering over 200FPS with no dropped frames and I don't think the average framerate ever drops below 144.

Hey Guys,

Quick and possibly odd question. Currently I have 16gb DDR3 Ram @ 1633 in 2 x 8gb sticks. Would this be better than 12gb of DDr3 @ 2000 in 2x 4gb (Patriot Sector 7) and 2 x 2gb (Patriot G Series)?

Is the 2nd part even a option?

Thanks in advance

Better for what, games? Few games actually need more than 8GB of RAM and speed doesn't play a large part in most of them. The only games I know that benefit from higher RAM speed would be Fallout 4 and maybe BF4.

For the second option, are all 4 sticks running at 2000MHz? If so, then sure, the second option is technically better, but you'll almost never be able to tell in normal use, and maybe in a few certain applications and games.

jordyn11

Neo Member
Better for what, games? Few games actually need more than 8GB of RAM and speed doesn't play a large part in most of them. The only games I know that benefit from higher RAM speed would be Fallout 4 and maybe BF4.

For the second option, are all 4 sticks running at 2000MHz? If so, then sure, the second option is technically better, but you'll almost never be able to tell in normal use, and maybe in a few certain applications and games.

Sorry, should have been clearer. Primarily for games and as you mentioned it is Fallout 4 that brought me to this question. Yep all 4 are 2000Mhz.

RGM79

Hi all,
I'm trying to build a small form-factor streaming PC that I can lug around to various fighting game events and such. The primary use would be to record and stream console games. (PS4, 60fps @ 1080p) Secondarily, I'd like to use this as a kind of Steam Box to play games on, specificly, Street Fighter V. Right now I am using an Avermedia Live Gamer Portable for my streaming and recording. Latter I would like to move towards and internal card.

Here's what I've slapped together at pcpartpicker. I'm wondering how much money I can shave off of this?
Code:
PCPartPicker part list: [url]http://pcpartpicker.com/p/NnRLQ7[/url]
Price breakdown by merchant: [url]http://pcpartpicker.com/p/NnRLQ7/by_merchant/[/url]

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($209.99 @ Newegg) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master GeminII M4 58.4 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($30.61 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($88.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($35.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.98 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB FTW ACX 2.0+ Video Card  ($255.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced (Black) Mini ITX Tower Case  ($49.99 @ NCIX US) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($67.15 @ SuperBiiz) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 OEM (64-bit)  ($141.98 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $930.67
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-27 19:33 EST-0500

Street Fighter V's PC requirements are:
Code:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/310950/

System Requirements
MINIMUM: 
Processor: Intel Core i3-4160 @ 3.60GHz 
Memory: 6 GB RAM 
Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 480, GTX 570, GTX 670, or better 

RECOMMENDED: 
Processor: Intel Core i5-4690K @3.50GHz 
Memory: 8 GB RAM 
Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 960 

Just to make sure I'm following the OP right:
[Basic Desktop Questions]
  • My Current Build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/NnRLQ7 - See above
  • Budget: $1,000 or less. United States.
  • Main Use: Streaming games, 60fps @ 1080p.
  • Monitor Resolution: 1020 x 1080
  • List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Street Fighter V @ 60fps
  • Looking to reuse any parts?: No.
  • When will you build?: By New Year.
  • Will you be overclocking?: No.

Yeah, that parts list can definitely be optimized. Here's what I'd recommend.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($159.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Asus H81M-D PLUS Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($41.00 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Team Dark 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($28.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 380 4GB PCS+ Video Card ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Silverstone PS08B (Black) MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($31.45 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($84.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $596.37
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-27 20:55 EST-0500

There are a few problems with your original build. If you want an internal recording card, you cannot go with the mITX form factor as it only has one PCI-E slot that the graphics card has to go in. Windows 10 is cheaper than Windows 7, so that's an obvious decision there. Lastly, a GTX 960 for $255 is grossly overpriced, they should cost under $200. I chose the R9 380 instead as it represents excellent value for the performance and is nearly the same if not slightly faster than the GTX 960 in most games as pointed out by Crisium.

If I go the upgrade route I was think around 300 dollars for the RAM and the SSD. The Current SSD I have is from Crucial and I've had zero problems with it, are they still the go to company? As for the RAM I think I have to use DDR3 with my motherboard right?

If you want to spend $300 on SSD and RAM, that will get you quite a lot of storage. Yes, you have to use DDR3. DDR4 is reserved for newer generation Intel motherboards that are incompatible with your older generation parts. Crucial's good, but so is Samsung when it comes to mid-to-high end SSDs.

A kit of 2x4GB G.Skill 2400MHz RAM will only cost $35, while a kit of 2x8GB G.Skill 2400MHz RAM will cost $65. Those two are fairly high speed and yet don't cost that much compared to the other RAM I was looking at.

The Samsung 850 Evo 500GB drive is $140. The cheapest Samsung and Crucial 1TB models are over $300, though. There is this Sandisk Ultra II 960GB SSD for $200 which is a pretty damn good price. Performance-wise it's not the absolute best, but it's not awful either.

e90Mark

What are the rest of your PC's specs? The CPU will also play a part in how high the framerate can go. As a rule of thumb, you'll want a stronger graphics card not only for higher framerate, but for lower dips when the framerate does drop during more intensive parts of games. As far as I can see however, the GTX 960 should meet your needs quite well. This video shows a GTX 960 running CSGO maxed out at 1080p, delivering over 200FPS with no dropped frames and I don't think the average framerate ever drops below 144.

i5 3570k @ stock - planning on getting a cm evo once I figure the rest out.
600w corsair psu
8gb ddr3 @ 1600

RGM79

i5 3570k @ stock - planning on getting a cm evo once I figure the rest out.
600w corsair psu
8gb ddr3 @ 1600

You have nothing to worry about when it comes to the CPU, then. That's the other main factor that could limit your framerate.

Any BF deals on power supplies?

What sort of power supply are you looking for? Wattage? Modular? Is it going in a small case?

Sorry, should have been clearer. Primarily for games and as you mentioned it is Fallout 4 that brought me to this question. Yep all 4 are 2000Mhz.

The 12GB of 2000MHz RAM will give you slightly better performance in Fallout 4 and should be enough for anything you want to do. You only need more than that if you're doing some kind of super high resolution video editing or heavy computational/rendering jobs.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
It comes down to preference as far as Samsung 850 EVO goes. It's the M2 x4 SSD's that matters which have speeds in the 1000's vs 500ish for typical ones.
Alright, I just went with the 2.5 to save a few dollars.

EVGA still has some decent PSUs.
Those are used/refurbished though.

Next:

Cooling - to water or not to water
RAM - 16GB downgradathon
PSU - missed it by a day (even though today is black friday)
Case - Primo or less premium
Card - cheapo 970

I hope cyber Monday can bring in a few more options.

I can't believe B&H closed down for a whole day, either.

Trying to build a "cheap" Haswell-E upgrade isn't nearly as cheap as I originally might have guessed. But it's way cheaper than it was at launch a year ago I guess.

Core i7-5820K - $375
MSI X99A RAIDER - $120 after MIR
4x 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200 - $100

-------------------------

= $595

Good enough I guess for a motherboard I pretty much impulse-bought at Fry's.

I should still just return the damn motherboard. >_>

Trying to build a "cheap" Haswell-E upgrade isn't nearly as cheap as I originally might have guessed. But it's way cheaper than it was at launch a year ago I guess.

Core i7-5820K - $375
MSI X99A RAIDER - $120 after MIR
4x 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200 - $100

-------------------------

= $595

Good enough I guess for a motherboard I pretty much impulse-bought at Fry's.

I should still just return the damn motherboard. >_>

What's your current system?

Joco

A 750 Ti will handle every game you mentioned just fine, with the exception of XCOM 2. We don't know enough about that game yet to recommend graphics cards. While a GTX 970 is overkill for CSGO and MOBA games, it would better allow you to take advantage of a monitor with 144Hz refresh rate if you ever wanted to play newer games that would be more demanding.

How much do all of those parts cost? PCPartPicker has build list sharing options that you can use to show us. Maybe we can help you optimize costs for performance.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($180.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M-ITX/AC Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($35.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial MX200 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($85.00 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card ($109.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Fractal Design Node 304 Mini ITX Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($47.60 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $664.53
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-27 22:33 EST-0500

I'd like to keep it under $800 if possible. $850 max.

Yes, it'll feel slower. One great advantage of SSDs are the extremely fast seek times, a hard drive needs to spin up and move a reading arm to find and read the data that you're looking at whereas SSDs obviously don't need to do that.

So the speed of the SSD outweighs the size of the HDD? Thanks.

Gojeran

Using a bunch of my old parts and shopping some holidays sales for 300 bucks he can get:

I5 2500k
Msi z77 gaming motherboard
Evga sc gtx 960
8gb corsair ddr 1600 ram
1TB hdd
Seasonic 620w full modular power supply
Corsair carbide 100r with extra case fan
Windows 8.1 (legal!)

I think this is a fucking great deal and trying to get him to jump on it. What does gaf think? He would be gaming at 1080p on his TV using a dual shock 4 mostly.

Kud Dukan

GAF, I need some advice.

Last night I found a good deal on a GTX 980 Ti, so I decided to go ahead and grab it. Now that I have that, I'm trying to decide what to do about my monitor situation. I am currently using an old 24" LED monitor I acquired from work a few years ago. It's decent enough, but I definitely feel like it's time to upgrade that piece of my hardware.

So I'm trying to decide whether I should upgrade to a nice 144hz monitor or go all the way and upgrade to something like the Acer XB270HU and get that nice 1440p G-SYNC goodness. Either way, it'll be a big upgrade from what I am currently using. The only thing holding me back from the Acer is that it is over double the cost of a decent standard 144hz monitor, and I'm not sure if it'll make enough of a difference to warrant the upgrade.

Thoughts?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($47.60 @ SuperBiiz)

I'd like to keep it around $800 if possible. $850 max.

Newegg has the 4590 for a dollar less. It's just one notch better, but may as well go with the slightly better one for the basically the same price.

Gojeran

GAF, I need some advice.

Last night I found a good deal on a GTX 980 Ti, so I decided to go ahead and grab it. Now that I have that, I'm trying to decide what to do about my monitor situation. I am currently using an old 24" LED monitor I acquired from work a few years ago. It's decent enough, but I definitely feel like it's time to upgrade that piece of my hardware.

So I'm trying to decide whether I should upgrade to a nice 144hz monitor or go all the way and upgrade to something like the Acer XB270HU and get that nice 1440p G-SYNC goodness. Either way, it'll be a big upgrade from what I am currently using. The only thing holding me back from the Acer is that it is over double the cost of a decent standard 144hz monitor, and I'm not sure if it'll make enough of a difference to warrant the upgrade.

Thoughts?

My Asus rog swift 1440p 144hz Gsync monitor is the best PC and purchase I have ever made. 800 dollars and I've not regretted it even once. It's a fucking game changer. I love it and I'd tell anybody to spring for it if you have the money.

Kud Dukan

My Asus rog swift 1440p 144hz Gsync monitor is the best PC and purchase I have ever made. 800 dollars and I've not regretted it even once. It's a fucking game changer. I love it and I'd tell anybody to spring for it if you have the money.

This is exactly the type of thing that's making me want to just go ahead and get one. Everyone who has them speaks so highly of them. A friend of mine has the same monitor and he can't stop saying great things about it.

RGM79

Thanks a lot for the info. One more thing, would it matter if I got either the 2 over the 4gb or vice versa?

We recommend a 4GB graphics card where possible at the minimum, especially for playing games at 1080p or higher resolution. Quite a few games at 1080p will already go over 2GB of VRAM usage. CSGO probably won't use more than 2GB of VRAM, but in case you may want to play any games in the future that are more intensive and demanding on the graphics card, we would definitely recommend the 4GB model.

I'd like to keep it under $800 if possible. $850 max.

I've noticed that you have set some of the parts to be purchased from Amazon, but the hard drive isn't listed with a price and tallied into the total, so your parts list should be closer to $710 in total. Here's my version of your parts list:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($71.33 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Cooler Master 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $635.25
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-27 23:50 EST-0500
  • I switched the 2x4GB RAM for a kit of 1x8GB instead. You still have 8GB of RAM, but now you'll have room to add another piece of RAM if you need to.
  • The Samsung 850 Evo 250GB is at a better price than the Crucial MX200 250GB you were looking at.
  • Paying $110 for a GTX 750 Ti is kinda expensive. I switched in a MSI GTX 750 Ti model that is cheaper at $90.
  • The Seasonic power supply is nice, but inside a small case you may prefer a modular power supply because the detachable cables will free up more room inside for you to work with and for air to flow. I chose the Cooler Master model because it offers relatively high wattage and okay quality in a small package.
I left the hard drive the same way you had it, but you can expect my build to cost about $685 with the ~$50 WD hard drive's price factored in. If you're willing to go up to the end of your budget, you could put a GTX 970 into your parts list and it'd look like this.

Edit: changed the processor to the i5 4590 as recommended by chaosblade.

So the speed of the SSD outweighs the size of the HDD? Thanks.

Whether you want the SSD for the speed or the hard drive for the greater capacity is up to you. They're two different things. I'm just explaining that the hard drive will always feel slower than the SSD when it comes to seeking and loading.
Using a bunch of my old parts and shopping some holidays sales for 300 bucks he can get:

I5 2500k
Msi z77 gaming motherboard
Evga sc gtx 960
8gb corsair ddr 1600 ram
1TB hdd
Seasonic 620w full modular power supply
Corsair carbide 100r with extra case fan
Windows 8.1 (legal!)

I think this is a fucking great deal and trying to get him to jump on it. What does gaf think? He would be gaming at 1080p on his TV using a dual shock 4 mostly.
Looks good to me. What do you mean by "legal", are you buying him a Windows 8.1 license from somewhere?

5% off ordering on Newegg using the app + $15 off $50 purchase using Visa Checkout and Chase Freedom helped soften the blow a little bit.

The suddenness of this upgrade is still unexpected. At least DDR4 RAM is pretty cheap now, which just leaves the damn CPU as the biggest piece of this upgrade expense.

Joco

I've noticed that you have set some of the parts to be purchased from Amazon, but the hard drive isn't listed with a price and tallied into the total, so your parts list should be closer to $710 in total. Here's my version of your parts list:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($71.33 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Cooler Master 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $635.25
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-27 23:50 EST-0500
  • I switched the 2x4GB RAM for a kit of 1x8GB instead. You still have 8GB of RAM, but now you'll have room to add another piece of RAM if you need to.
  • The Samsung 850 Evo 250GB is at a better price than the Crucial MX200 250GB you were looking at.
  • Paying $110 for a GTX 750 Ti is kinda expensive. I switched in a MSI GTX 750 Ti model that is cheaper at $90.
  • The Seasonic power supply is nice, but inside a small case you may prefer a modular power supply because the detachable cables will free up more room inside for you to work with and for air to flow. I chose the Cooler Master model because it offers relatively high wattage and okay quality in a small package.
I left the hard drive the same way you had it, but you can expect my build to cost about $685 with the ~$50 WD hard drive's price factored in. If you're willing to go up to the end of your budget, you could put a GTX 970 into your parts list and it'd look like this.

Edit: changed the processor to the i5 4590 as recommended by chaosblade.

Thanks for the reply! Your advice is definitely a big help. I guess I'll have to think about the 970.

Gojeran

"Looks good to me. What do you mean by "legal", are you buying him a Windows 8.1 license from somewhere?"

Yes I already have an extra license for a build I never put together.

GAF, I need some advice.

Thoughts?
To me when I buy a monitor I buy it to last a good while. My last one I used for 6 years (and is now an extra TV in the house). I went to an XB270HU and I expect to use it for 5 years ish too.

I ended up buying mine as a refurb (~$500 USD), otherwise I might have waited a bit longer. But, I'd splurge on a good monitor if you can. They outlast most components in my experience (save for maybe PSU and case).

jsrv

So I've been working on the builds for my relatives, just missing the PSU now. The case they picked is the Fractal Design S and it's the best case I've ever worked on and felt like a nice improvement over the R4 that I still use. Are there any other cases that are as good as this? Are Fractal's mitx cases (Node I think) also as decent?

Pkaz01

Just picked this up

BF Intel Z97 Special $1,243.00 1 $1,243.00

Black Friday Limited Time Offer 1 x [FREE] - iBUYPOWER High Performance Gaming Mouse Pad - Free with any System ($19 Value)
Black Friday Limited Time Offer 1 x [FREE] - KWORLD G98 Gaming Headset - Free with any System ($29 Value)
Black Friday Limited Time Offer 1 x [FREE] - iBUYPOWER MEK Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (Red Switch) - Free with all desktops ($79 Value)
Case 1 x Xigmatek Mach II Gaming Case - Black
Case Lighting 1 x iBUYPOWER RGB Smart Lighting (Software Controlled LED Lighting Kit) - [FREE] 1 Smart Lighting Strip - Top of the case
Processor 1 x Intel® Core™ i7-4790K Processor (4x 4.0GHz/8MB L3 Cache) - Intel® Core™ i7-4790K
Processor Cooling 1 x Asetek 510LC Liquid CPU Cooling System [SOCKET-1150] - Free Upgrade to Corsair Hydro Series H55 120mm Liquid CPU Cooler
Memory 1 x 8 GB [4 GB x2] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - Corsair or Major Brand - **Free Upgrade to 16GB DDR3-2133 ADATA XPG**
Video Card 1 x AMD Radeon R9 390X - 8GB - Single Card
Free Stuff 1 x [FREE] - 802.11AC Dual Band Wireless USB Adapter - FREE with iBUYPOWER Desktops
Free Stuff 1 x [FREE Game Download] - Intel Gaming Bundle: Just Cause 3, CSGO, and World of Warships - free w/ Intel Processors
Free Stuff 1 x [FREE] - McAfee Antivirus PLUS - FREE with any System ($49 Value)
Free Stuff 1 x [FREE In-Game Content] - Star Citizen Digital In-Game Content Bundle - Free with AMD Radeon 300 Series Graphics Cards
Motherboard 1 x Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI -- 2x PCIe x16, 4x USB 3.0, 2x USB 2.0 - *Free Upgrade to Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 3 -- 3x PCIe x16, 4x USB 3.0, 4x USB 2.0
Power Supply 1 x 500 Watt - Standard 80 PLUS Bronze - *Free Upgrade to 1000W Standard 80 PLUS Bronze
Primary Hard Drive 1 x 1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 32MB Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive *Free Upgrade to 2TB Hard Drive*
Optical Drive 1 x 24x Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW - Black -- Free Upgrade to 14X LG Blu-ray Re-writer
Sound Card 1 x 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard
Network Card 1 x Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100)
Operating System 1 x Windows 10 Home + Office 365 Trial [Free 30-Day !!!] - (64-bit) *Newest Microsoft Windows*
Mouse 1 x iBUYPOWER Standard Gaming Mouse
Warranty 1 x 3 Year Standard Warranty Service
Rush Service 1 x No Rush Service (Usually Ships in 10-15 Business Days)

anyone tell me if it was a decent deal at least? Will my cooler be good enough?

I am pretty new at this :D

Joco

Stupid question: How do I get Windows on the computer without an optical drive? I'm assuming I download it and then load it onto a flash drive - does the Windows store from Microsoft allow this? I want to obtain the copy legally of course.

RGM79

Stupid question: How do I get Windows on the computer without an optical drive? I'm assuming I download it and then load it onto a flash drive - does the Windows store from Microsoft allow this? I want to obtain the copy legally of course.

You're right about downloading them and loading them onto a USB drive. Yes, Microsoft allows this and they even provide tools that will automatically do this for you. These guides will help you.

How to Download Windows 10, 7, 8, and 8.1 Install Media
Download Windows 10 and Create Installation Media

Just picked this up

anyone tell me if it was a decent deal at least? Will my cooler be good enough?

I am pretty new at this :D

It's not bad value for the money, you are getting quite a lot of stuff and it's a strong PC that will be competitive and capable for quite a few years. The water cooler is kinda iffy, no idea how well it'll handle overclocking since it's a low end water cooler with no real reviews available. The prebuilt PC spreads out money on other stuff like a higher wattage power supply, a larger hard drive, more RAM, a wifi adaptor, and a blu ray drive. Usually prebuilt PCs tend to skimp on the motherboard and power supply. The Gigabyte Z97 motherboard is good, but the lack of any info on the PSU even if it is a 1000 watt model is a little worrying. Personally, I would have focused on getting a better graphics card instead, like the following example parts list:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($254.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($109.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Toshiba 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($42.49 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Superclocked ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($599.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($42.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1245.30
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-28 01:43 EST-0500

This doesn't include any extras like mouse/keyboard/headset/etc that came with your order, though. And my build gets a stronger graphics card but at the expense of going a bit barebones on other parts. There's nothing really wrong with your PC order except for the unknown power supply and the cheap water cooler which will probably be fine if you're not overclocking.

So I've been working on the builds for my relatives, just missing the PSU now. The case they picked is the Fractal Design S and it's the best case I've ever worked on and felt like a nice improvement over the R4 that I still use. Are there any other cases that are as good as this? Are Fractal's mitx cases (Node I think) also as decent?

The Define R5 is also similarly new and well designed. It was released just a few months before the Define S was released, I think.

Alright, thinking of getting a new PC. How's this for a starter build?

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($68.20 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 270 2GB TurboDuo Video Card ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $298.15
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-26 08:01 EST-0500

Aiming around ~$300-$400, not counting OS.

Going to be reusing the PSU and case from an older build of mine, if that's alright. PSU is a Corsair TX650W, while the case is an Antec A300.

I'm guessing since I haven't gotten that many comments back on this that this is a good build, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom