• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

j-wood

wow you just burned 1000$. Gains you about 10fps max. Just OC your CPU and upgrade the RAM in the future...

Well, I came into some extra money and wanted to go ahead and future proof myself for years ahead. Built my current rig back in 2011, so with this i'll be good until at least 2020

RGM79

Current Specs: i5 3570k @ 4,0GHz / 16 GB DDR3 RAM / ASRock Z77 Pro3 / GTX 980 TI EVGA / 2x SSDs, 1TB HDD
Budget: 350€-400€ + Germany
Main Use: Mostly Gaming
Monitor Resolution:144Hz 1920x1080 G-Sync Monitor

Results of my Benchmark today: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/9558703

Currently i´m playing Just Cause 3 and Battlefront, but especially during Just Cause 3 i noticed FPS drops. I guess my aging CPU might be the reason.

Would it be a big boost to upgrade the CPU to a newer one? Or would this be a waste of money? What CPU would you buy?

Thanks in advance!

No, it would be a small boost. There are reports that Just Cause 3 is buggy and has performance issues on all platforms, but I'd have thought that your PC would have enough power that it wouldn't affect a PC of your caliber that badly. Have you downloaded the latest Nvidia drivers?

The hilarious saga of my brother and I, and his mobo continues. I told him by mistake to buy an asus mobo that ended up being DDR3 even thought it was Skylake and and z170, now he's ignoring me and getting an Asus Rog Maximus VIII.

The weirdest thanksgiving.
Which Maximus motherboard is it?

manfestival

How much are you thinking of spending on a new case? Here are some cases that I think will suit your requirements:

NZXT Source 210 Elite ($42/$46 depending on color) Basic and devoid of extra features, but gets the job done with good cooling.
Corsair 200R ($43 after $10 rebate) A small step up gives you more ease of mind when it comes to the little details like cable management and ease of PC part installation.
NZXT S340 ($60~89 depending on color) Fairly compact with premium-feeling metal exterior. All versions come with a case window.
Fractal Design Define S ($70/$89 with window) - This has noise suppressing foam lining the case.
I find myself leaning toward the s340. Really digging that design

Josman

1. Yes, mainly just clock speed. The iGPU is the same HD Graphics 4600, but with a very slightly higher maximum clock speed for the 4590's iGPU (1.10GHz vs 1.15GHz).

2. How do these parts look? Does she need anything else such as keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, etc?

See here for the main differences between H81 and B85. B85 is a slightly better chipset with more support for certain features and faster and more connectivity.

Thank you! The budget is actually $10,000 MXN, but I may convince her to strech it to 11,000 and use a 250GB Samsung EVO. She also needs a monitor.

I'll probably go with that exact same build you posted :)

Deps

Put together my new pc. Like an idiot I plugged in one of the fan control headers directly into the psu, blew up one of the capacitors on the front panel of my case (2 left). Everything on the front panel except fan control works fine, but that's not a big deal to me. Anyone know if it's safe to continue using the case?

Upgrading soon from a 60Hz 1200p monitor to a 165Hz 1440p monitor with G-Sync.

Do I need to disable VSync in all my games? Anything else I need to change on the software side?

RGM79

Thank you! The budget is actually $10,000 MXN, but I may convince her to strech it to 11,000 and use a 250GB Samsung EVO. She also needs a monitor.

I'll probably go with that exact same build you posted :)

I know, I kept the part list under $10000 MXN in case she needed anything else.

is a better heatsink than OEM necessary if I plan on getting the i5 4690k with no intent to overclock it?

No, you don't need a better heatsink. If you're not going to overclock, why not get the Intel Xeon E3 1231v3 ($243)? Compared to the i5 4690K it costs slightly more and it has nearly the same clock speed (just slower by 0.1GHz), but offers hyperthreading which makes it act like a quad core i7 processor that can handle 8 threads at a time.

Put together my new pc. Like an idiot I plugged in one of the fan control headers directly into the psu, blew up one of the capacitors on the front panel of my case (2 left). Everything on the front panel except fan control works fine, but that's not a big deal to me. Anyone know if it's safe to continue using the case?

What case do you have? It should be safe, I don't see a reason why not.

Currently got a fucked mouse. It no longer clicks, but can still move. What a horrible fate to behold. I'm dual wielding with an even older broken mouse with the reverse problem so I can actually navigate my PC. One for movement, one for clicking.

Anyway, looking for a replacement in the £40 range. I'm mad that I missed out on the Black Friday deals, but whatever. Looking at the Logitech G600 right now, seems like it would suit my uses well (binding tools in Maya to the buttons on the side, etc).

Any other nice mice out there at that price?

Currently got a fucked mouse. It no longer clicks, but can still move. What a horrible fate to behold. I'm dual wielding with an even older broken mouse with the reverse problem so I can actually navigate my PC. One for movement, one for clicking.

Anyway, looking for a replacement in the £40 range. I'm mad that I missed out on the Black Friday deals, but whatever. Looking at the Logitech G600 right now, seems like it would suit my uses well (binding tools in Maya to the buttons on the side, etc).

Any other nice mice out there at that price?
MMO mouses like the G600 and the Razer Naga are amazing for productivity. I can't recommend them enough.

I downloaded the realtek drivers again and it still isn't detecting my headphones. Both of my front USB ports work. Just not my front panel audio jack. Any other suggestions?

Check your front panel audio jack, typically cases come with two front panel audio connectors, a AC97 one and a HD AUDIO one, make sure you connected the HD AUDIO one onto your motherboard's F-AUDIO jack, consult your motherboard manual if needed.

So gaf, I've decided to build a gaming rig. Well my friend will build it for me. Budget is around 1200$ hopefully get a decent monitor included in that price. Keep in mind this is 1200$ Canadian currency.

Suggestions?

RGM79

So gaf, I've decided to build a gaming rig. Well my friend will build it for me. Budget is around 1200$ hopefully get a decent monitor included in that price. Keep in mind this is 1200$ Canadian currency.

Suggestions?

Including taxes? Speakers, keyboard and mouse?

Inkwell

Banned
I'm looking to build a new PC and have a few questions. I'm coming from an i5-750 and a GTX 760. I have the cash to build a high end PC, but I'm still trying to keep a little bit of a budget, so no Titan SLI for me. My initial budget was between $1000 and $1500, but I think I have to surpass that for what I want.

First, I'm wondering what processor I should get. I was thinking of going with a 6600K, but was wondering if a 6700K might be the better deal. Besides having to replace my video card, I've had my current PC for close to 6 years. I know future proofing really doesn't mean all that much, but if I have this new PC for that long (possibly longer!) I'm wondering if it would pay off having those 8 threads. Outside of this, I'm not sure if there's any better deals for price vs performance for other processors.

Second is the video card. I had a 980 Ti in mind, but man is it expensive. I usually go for those awesome mid-range cards when they come out, but I want something better this time. I think I read there's going to be some new stuff from nvidia around the 6 month mark next year. Not sure if I should wait until then or not. I would be fine using my 760 until then.

I'm not planning on buying this stuff incredibly soon either, so I can actually wait on the entire system if anything new and better will be out in a few months.

RGM79

Including taxes. I have everything else.

Sorry, more questions:

Would you count rebates before or after the $1200?

If you can fill out the questionnaire from the first post of this thread, it'd help us determine what sort of PC you want. Canadian prices being what they are, if you have no intention of overclocking then that would help fit everything into your budget. If you have any parts to reuse from an existing computer such as hard drives and whatnot, that would help too.

Er, just to calculate taxes and environmental fees, what province are you in?

Abdozer

Would a 980 Ti be a good upgrade from my 770 2GB? I'm playing on a ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q, so 1440p/144hz with G-Sync. I was going to wait until Pascal but I don't feel like this card is doing it for me anymore.

RGM79

Would a 980 Ti be a good upgrade from my 770 2GB? I'm playing on a ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q, so 1440p/144hz with G-Sync. I was going to wait until Pascal but I don't feel like this card is doing it for me anymore.

It'd be a huge boost in performance. You would be achieving framerates around twice as high or even more in nearly all situations.

I'm looking to build a new PC and have a few questions. I'm coming from an i5-750 and a GTX 760. I have the cash to build a high end PC, but I'm still trying to keep a little bit of a budget, so no Titan SLI for me. My initial budget was between $1000 and $1500, but I think I have to surpass that for what I want.

First, I'm wondering what processor I should get. I was thinking of going with a 6600K, but was wondering if a 6700K might be the better deal. Besides having to replace my video card, I've had my current PC for close to 6 years. I know future proofing really doesn't mean all that much, but if I have this new PC for that long (possibly longer!) I'm wondering if it would pay off having those 8 threads. Outside of this, I'm not sure if there's any better deals for price vs performance for other processors.

Second is the video card. I had a 980 Ti in mind, but man is it expensive. I usually go for those awesome mid-range cards when they come out, but I want something better this time. I think I read there's going to be some new stuff from nvidia around the 6 month mark next year. Not sure if I should wait until then or not. I would be fine using my 760 until then.

I'm not planning on buying this stuff incredibly soon either, so I can actually wait on the entire system if anything new and better will be out in a few months.

Well, there might be some games where 8 processing threads allow for somewhat higher performance, but there isn't that big of a difference in performance and it's not like the non-hyperthreading i5 6600K will be obsolete either.

Well, we're in between product launches right now. AMD and Nvidia launched their latest stuff earlier this year and there's not much new due until the middle of next year, as you say. Intel just launched Skylake back in August, and AMD's Zen is still on the horizon for next year as well. There's not really a lot to wait for unless you really want to wait the half year or more until Pascal launches.

So I want to build a PC from ground up. Very soon as in the day after tomorrow. :D On paper the 825$ one from the OP sounds great and should be within my budget.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lNNp8rI0V8uo-xLMnyIKunffDA3ojtie3LlMNaY8W4g/pubhtml ("best value")

I would go up to 1000$ max if better graphics cards or some more optimal parts are out there. Is this a PC that will play games like Dark Souls 2 or Star Wars Battlefronts on highest settings? I also want to use it for Photoshop, movie editing etc. Mainly for the latest gaming stuff and watching movies, though, haha.

Are there any hidden bottlenecks / beefs with this setup? I'm really looking for something fast and durable...The only thing I'm sure of is an Nvidia gpu. Just more user-friendly and I always had trouble with Radeon.

I am not good with technical stuff overall but in gaming GAF I trust!!!

Sorry, more questions:

Would you count rebates before or after the $1200?

If you can fill out the questionnaire from the first post of this thread, it'd help us determine what sort of PC you want. Canadian prices being what they are, if you have no intention of overclocking then that would help fit everything into your budget. If you have any parts to reuse from an existing computer such as hard drives and whatnot, that would help too.

Er, just to calculate taxes and environmental fees, what province are you in?

I'm in B.C. my power supply would get reused. No intention of overclocking. Rebates not included. So I have a keyboard, mouse, speakers, and power supply I would reuse. It would be used for gaming and web browsing only..

Birbo

Looking to update my current HTPC. Want a boost for comfy couch gaming at 1080p. What I have now:

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz (not overclocked)

Motherboard: ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155

Memory: Samsung 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600

Storage: Sandisk Solid State Drive 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: HIS Radeon HD 7850 2GB

Case : nMEDIAPC HTPC 5000B HTPC Case

Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX

Thinking I just want to upgrade my card to a 970. My case only allows for a card less than 10" long, so I'm looking at:

EVGA GeForce GTX 970

Zotac GeForce GTX 970

Any input on these cards or recommendations for a different one? Would changing cards be all I really need to do? Thanks in advance.

hoy

Banned
i don't have a clue what to do when it comes to a monitor, don't want to make a mistake.

when i tried to search i found some sites talking about next directx and freesync amd cards being better choice over gsync? any input on this so i can pick one or the other? would love the feature, i always seem to notice tearing, have even seen it on tv's in the past.

darthbob

Looking to update my current HTPC. Want a boost for comfy couch gaming at 1080p. What I have now:

Thinking I just want to upgrade my card to a 970. My case only allows for a card less than 10" long, so I'm looking at:

EVGA GeForce GTX 970

Zotac GeForce GTX 970

Any input on these cards or recommendations for a different one? Would changing cards be all I really need to do? Thanks in advance.

I personally prefer EVGA due to their warranty and customer service but I haven't heard bad things about Zotac.

RGM79

I'm in B.C. my power supply would get reused. No intention of overclocking. Rebates not included. So I have a keyboard, mouse, speakers, and power supply I would reuse. It would be used for gaming and web browsing only..
What model is the power supply? Ideally the more wattage the better, but 500 watts would be enough if it were a decent PSU. How does this parts list look?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.49 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: ASRock B85M-DGS Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($59.75 @ Vuugo)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($49.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.01 @ Vuugo)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 380 4GB SOC Video Card ($279.74 @ DirectCanada)
Case: BitFenix Merc Alpha (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.88 @ Canada Computers)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($122.00 @ shopRBC)
Monitor: Acer G226HQLBbd 60Hz 21.5" Monitor ($119.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $959.85
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-03 16:09 EST-0500

I've tried to fit a GTX 970 into your build, but it wasn't possible to do that without going over your budget when taxes and environmental fees are factored in. I assume you need Windows. It would be possible to save some money buying a Windows license elsewhere, but that comes with its own risks. I'll explain:

Cheap Windows licenses can be bought from reddit's microsoftsoftwareswap for cheap, around $15 USD or less. Windows 10 licenses are also available for a bit more. These are most likely legitimate keys that are resold from educational programs like Technet or MSDNAA/Dreamspark. However, you are dealing with a person instead of a retailer, and informal Windows keys sales are not approved by Microsoft and probably breaking some licensing agreement, but it's not illegal. The risks involved are that the person could be selling you a fake or used key, or that Microsoft may refuse to give you support and/or deactivate your license and refuse to reactivate it. That's not very likely, usually it only happens if the seller and their list of sold keys was caught. We've had people here using those keys without issues for a long time and others who say Microsoft deactivated their key after several months. The 7/8/8.1 keys should be upgradeable to Windows 10, but confirm with the seller to be sure, of course.​

i don't have a clue what to do when it comes to a monitor, don't want to make a mistake.

when i tried to search i found some sites talking about next directx and freesync amd cards being better choice over gsync? any input on this so i can pick one or the other? would love the feature, i always seem to notice tearing, have even seen it on tv's in the past.

PCPer has written some handy articles comparing freesync and Gsync. Here's an article comparing the two technologies and here's a more recent article from less than two weeks ago that shows how freesync has improved with the latest drivers.

RGM79

So I want to build a PC from ground up. Very soon as in the day after tomorrow. :D On paper the 825$ one from the OP sounds great and should be within my budget.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lNNp8rI0V8uo-xLMnyIKunffDA3ojtie3LlMNaY8W4g/pubhtml ("best value")

I would go up to 1000$ max if better graphics cards or some more optimal parts are out there. Is this a PC that will play games like Dark Souls 2 or Star Wars Battlefronts on highest settings? I also want to use it for Photoshop, movie editing etc. Mainly for the latest gaming stuff and watching movies, though, haha.

Are there any hidden bottlenecks / beefs with this setup? I'm really looking for something fast and durable...The only thing I'm sure of is an Nvidia gpu. Just more user-friendly and I always had trouble with Radeon.

I am not good with technical stuff overall but in gaming GAF I trust!!!

Here you go:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($254.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2800 Memory ($46.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($319.98 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($47.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($89.88 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1004.78
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-03 16:23 EST-0500

I assume you don't have a copy of Windows and need one in the parts list.

I'd be a bit wary about that motherboard, it seems to have RAM compatibility issues and cannot run RAM at their rated speed through XMP settings. Newegg reviews average out to only 3/5 rating and many reviews note memory speed compatibility as a con. In fact, it seems that quite a few Asus motherboards of this generation are like that.

Quick question rgm79, my buddy says thats a solid build but says i3 with higher ghz would be better for gaming, or obviously i5 with more ghz...what do you think? He says something about dual core being better for gaming then quad. Sorry for the simplistic explaination, but I'm new to this kind of thing

I'd be a bit wary about that motherboard, it seems to have RAM compatibility issues and cannot run RAM at their rated speed through XMP settings. Newegg reviews average out to only 3/5 rating and many reviews note memory speed compatibility as a con. In fact, it seems that quite a few Asus motherboards of this generation are like that.

haha, here we go again. By the way, what micro z170 would you recommend?

Anything i should improve here?

Current Build. I know GPU is outdated.
PSU Seasonic 620 Bronze
8x2 Corsair Vengeance Series 16gb
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77x-UD5H,
Samsung 850 Pro Series MZ-7KE512BW 512GB 2.5 inch SATA III SSD
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB HD,
Das Professional Keyboard
CPU Cooler Hyper Cooler 212
VGA EVGA GTX 670
Intel Processor i7-3770k
Antec NINE HUNDRED BK Case
Asus VE247 Monitor x 2
Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920
Logitech G400.

Budget for upgrades: $2000
Main Use: Mostly Gaming (5) , Video Editing (3), Streaming Games (4)
Monitor Resolution: 1980x1080 the norm. Are you buying a new monitor? Not sure should i?
Total War Series allow the game to run with 6 players with full armies 60fps, Fallout 4 , Just Cause 3, all the new stuff best settings :p. 60 FPS preferred. How important is PhysX / SuperSampling / CUDA to you? Not sure what that stuff is.
When will you build?: Whenever i get the necessary parts.
Will you be overclocking?: No, since i don't know the safety and requirements to do so.

RGM79

Quick question rgm79, my buddy says thats a solid build but says i3 with higher ghz would be better for gaming, or obviously i5 with more ghz...what do you think? He says something about dual core being better for gaming then quad. Sorry for the simplistic explaination, but I'm new to this kind of thing

Sorry, but he's wrong. Most games these days run better with quad cores than dual cores. There's no downside to going with a quad core processor as it can do everything that a dual core processor can, except it has two extra cores that games can use if they're coded to take advantage of it. Take a look at this comparison between the i3 4360 and the i5 4690 (scroll down to the game results). Both of them are the same generation, the i3 is a dual core (with hyperthreading) at 3.7GHz while the i5 is a quad core at 3.5GHz. Despite the fact that the i3 is clocked 0.2GHz faster, the i5 beats or at least matches the i3 in every game.

Here's some more results with the Pentium G3258, which is purely a dual core processor (no hyperthreading). Tom's Hardware has an article where they compared the G3258 overclocked to 4.4GHz to various other processors. Again, in every game the G3258 @ 4.4GHz is beaten by the i5 4690K @ 3.5GHz.

There might be a few rare games where a dual core processor running at very high clock speed can beat a quad core processor running at a lower clock speed, but given how uncommon that is, you'd definitely want an i5 processor to be able to run most games and get better performance.

haha, here we go again. By the way, what micro z170 would you recommend?

There aren't a lot of user reviews for many microATX Z170 motherboards yet, but the Asus Z170M-Plus and Gigabte Z170M-Gaming 5 seem to have positive reviews so far.

The Asus only has a single 1 star review, the other six reviews are 4 or 5 stars.

The Gigabyte motherboard has one review each at 2 and 3 stars, and seven reviews that are rated at 5 stars.

Keep in mind that user reviews aren't everything either, but at the very least we hope they're an indicator of how well made the motherboards seem to be, and how many seem to fail or be defective.

Anything i should improve here?

Current Build. I know GPU is outdated.
PSU Seasonic 620 Bronze
8x2 Corsair Vengeance Series 16gb
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77x-UD5H,
Samsung 850 Pro Series MZ-7KE512BW 512GB 2.5 inch SATA III SSD
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB HD,
Das Professional Keyboard
CPU Cooler Hyper Cooler 212
VGA EVGA GTX 670
Intel Processor i7-3770k
Antec NINE HUNDRED BK Case
Asus VE247 Monitor x 2
Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920
Logitech G400.

Budget for upgrades: $2000
Main Use: Mostly Gaming (5) , Video Editing (3), Streaming Games (4)
Monitor Resolution: 1980x1080 the norm. Are you buying a new monitor? Not sure should i?
Total War Series allow the game to run with 6 players with full armies 60fps, Fallout 4 , Just Cause 3, all the new stuff best settings :p. 60 FPS preferred. How important is PhysX / SuperSampling / CUDA to you? Not sure what that stuff is.
When will you build?: Whenever i get the necessary parts.
Will you be overclocking?: No, since i don't know the safety and requirements to do so.

The only thing you need to upgrade is the graphics card. The processor and everything else is still very good and high end. Spending $2000 is a lot, for that much money you could build a whole new computer that's even better than the one you have now in every way.

I think you'll want a GTX 980 Ti if you want to run the latest games at 60FPS and best possible settings.

The only thing you need to upgrade is the graphics card. The processor and everything else is still very good and high end. Spending $2000 is a lot, for that much money you could build a whole new computer that's even better than the one you have now in every way.

I think you'll want a GTX 980 Ti if you want to run the latest games at 60FPS and best possible settings.

Thank you for the quick response!

Could you link me to a recommended model of the GTX 980 Ti?... I was looking at amazon and i saw like 15 different kinds..
Honestly not sure if i should wait for the Pascal GPUS or just go for upgrade.

I just keep the funds as possible upgrade funds as i know eventually i'll need to upgrade some other parts.

Sorry, but he's wrong. Most games these days run better with quad cores than dual cores. There's no downside to going with a quad core processor as it can do everything that a dual core processor can, except it has two extra cores that games can use if they're coded to take advantage of it. Take a look at this comparison between the i3 4360 and the i5 4690 (scroll down to the game results). Both of them are the same generation, the i3 is a dual core (with hyperthreading) at 3.7GHz while the i5 is a quad core at 3.5GHz. Despite the fact that the i3 is clocked 0.2GHz faster, the i5 beats or at least matches the i3 in every game.

Here's some more results with the Pentium G3258, which is purely a dual core processor (no hyperthreading). Tom's Hardware has an article where they compared the G3258 overclocked to 4.4GHz to various other processors. Again, in every game the G3258 @ 4.4GHz is beaten by the i5 4690K @ 3.5GHz.

There might be a few rare games where a dual core processor running at very high clock speed can beat a quad core processor running at a lower clock speed, but given how uncommon that is, you'd definitely want an i5 processor to be able to run most games and get better performance.

There aren't a lot of user reviews for many microATX Z170 motherboards yet, but the Asus Z170M-Plus and Gigabte Z170M-Gaming 5 seem to have positive reviews so far.

The Asus only has a single 1 star review, the other six reviews are 4 or 5 stars.

The Gigabyte motherboard has one review each at 2 and 3 stars, and seven reviews that are rated at 5 stars.

Keep in mind that user reviews aren't everything either, but at the very least we hope they're an indicator of how well made the motherboards seem to be, and how many seem to fail or be defective.

Thanks for the input! Hopefully going to take advantage of some boxing day deals and save a few bucks.

thanks again

The 5820k, DDR4 memory, and LGA2011 mounting kit for my NH-D14 all arrived today.

I think it's almost building time. :D

Anybody know the best option for the existing Win7 install on my SSD? Is it still best to clean install Win7 fresh, or can I just port over the existing install with new drivers?

kennah

The 5820k, DDR4 memory, and LGA2011 mounting kit for my NH-D14 all arrived today.

I think it's almost building time. :D

Anybody know the best option for the existing Win7 install on my SSD? Is it still best to clean install Win7 fresh, or can I just port over the existing install with new drivers?
Clean clean clean my friend.

Alastor3

AHAH this is my current build, I don't think I can do anything with this.

SDB5kpk.png

I guess I can for maximum 1000$

But will that build you showed me will be still relevant in January? That's when I will get my money for my PC.

I have a huge problem guys.

I just bough divinity original sins Enhanced Edition to my friend so we can play together. It's the first time im booting the game but the game won't launch because the minimum setting is a graphic card don't support DirectX11.

Now, I already wanted to build a new computer in January, but since I have a bit of money left already, maybe I should buy the new card right now. You guys said to me to buy this one

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB FTW ACX 2.0 Video Card ($314.99 @ NCIX US)

But I don't know if it's compatible to my current gear (just to play Divinity)

Man I fucking hate this right now. It's been months we said we should play divinity and didnt because of my school and now THIS bullshit...

RGM79

I have a huge problem guys.

I just bough divinity original sins Enhanced Edition to my friend so we can play together. It's the first time im booting the game but the game won't launch because the minimum setting is a graphic card don't support DirectX11.

Now, I already wanted to build a new computer in January, but since I have a bit of money left already, maybe I should buy the new card right now. You guys said to me to buy this one

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB FTW ACX 2.0 Video Card ($314.99 @ NCIX US)

But I don't know if it's compatible to my current gear (just to play Divinity)

Man I fucking hate this right now. It's been months we said we should play divinity and didnt because of my school and now THIS bullshit...

It is compatible. Just keep in mind that your relatively old processor will be a bit of a bottleneck, but it will work.

RGM79

Thanks for the fast reply

Actually, there is one other thing to consider, the power supply. Any idea what power supply is in your current PC? It'll need to have enough wattage and the right connectors to power the GTX 970, which tends to consume around ~50 watts more than your existing 9800GT graphics card.

Also, I just noticed that your screenshot says your CPU is running at an extremely hot 98 degrees, you may want to consider cleaning out your PC if it is dusty inside.

Sickbean

I'm having an odd problem.

I bought 16GB RAM on black friday to upgrade the 4GB I currently have. Put the sticks in, everything booted up fine, RAM is shown in Windows.

Checked on CPUZ and it seem to be running slow, so thought I'd boot to BIOS and check if XMP was enabled.

I can't seem to get to BIOS any more?! I've upgraded to Windows 10 so I assumed that might be it. I've tried all sorts of workarounds I've found but nothing seems to work - holding down delete at boot just stops the PC from even getting to POST and it just cycles power constantly.

Anyone got any ideas? Motherboard is an Asus P8P67 Pro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom