• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RGM79

Thx for the quick reply.

DDR3. Any reason why not to go with Skylake?

For Skylake you will need DDR4 RAM. There are some Skylake motherboards that accept DDR3, but they aren't recommended as Skylake is meant to take lower voltage DDR4 or DDR3L and it is unknown if running standard DDR3 will cause Skylake CPUs damage or extra wear over time. Also DDR3 is technically slower than DDR4 and could hold back the performance of Skylake, although whether it matters or not is highly dependent on the software and what you're doing with the PC. It doesn't matter for most games, but Fallout 4 does rely on RAM speed, oddly.

chessnut

Is anyone having a hard time finding a 6700k processor? holy shit, newegg, frys, and microcenter are sold out in my area. Amazon is selling it for $100 more than frys/microcenter and even they are only selling it through third party sellers.

I have a week off from work and I have all my parts except for my CPU, fuuuuuuuuck.

I'm thinking about doing a complete rebuild. Is it realistic at this point to build a single GPU rig to run games at 4k at acceptable frame rates? Somewhere between 30-60 is fine for me as anything over that usually makes me motion sick. I'd most likely play open world games like GTA and Witcher 3.

Is anyone having a hard time finding a 6700k processor? holy shit, newegg, frys, and microcenter are sold out in my area. Amazon is selling it for $100 more than frys/microcenter and even they are only selling it through third party sellers.

I have a week off from work and I have all my parts except for my CPU, fuuuuuuuuck.

AFAIK the 6700K has been extremely difficult to find since it's release. Pretty incredible that Intel hasn't sorted out supply issues by now.

REMAINSILLY

If you can overclock the i5 750 to 4GHz, that might solve your CPU performance issues (if you have any). I wouldn't recommend buying AMD at this point, they don't offer anything that is that big of an upgrade from your i5 750. This article compares Intel processors from the last ten years and they have the i5 760 tested (your overclocked i5 750 is actually a bit faster). According to those test results your processor is more or less on par with the AMD FX-8350, perhaps slightly better if you can overclock it further to 4GHz.

Edit: What sort of performance are you looking for that you can't currently get? What games are you playing that you need better performance in?

Thanks for the response! I'm new to overclocking, and I used this guide to overclock the i5. I was too afraid to go any higher than 3.2.

I was just wanting Fallout 4 to have better framerates. I have everything at medium and get FPS drops in cities. But I think that's a universal issue.

EDIT: I just tried to go from 3.2 to 4.0 and got an endless loop of restarting. Went back to 3.2 and everything is fine.

RGM79

Yeah, it's in short supply and the places that do have it are price gouging as much as they can.

I'm thinking about doing a complete rebuild. Is it realistic at this point to build a single GPU rig to run games at 4k at acceptable frame rates? Somewhere between 30-60 is fine for me as anything over that usually makes me motion sick. I'd most likely play open world games like GTA and Witcher 3.

If you don't mind turning down the graphics settings, sure. HardOCP tested the GTX 980 Ti for both GTAV and The Witcher 3, they mentioned they set the graphics settings to what they felt they were able to achieve best at 4K (around 45~50FPS). With a single GTX 980 Ti, expect to play at medium to high settings, depending on the game. You won't be able to play on ultra/maxed settings, and you should avoid using MSAA, Nvidia hairworks, and certain higher shadow/grass settings in some games.

I'm running 6700k with 980ti @ 4K and get 40-60 in most games so far, but I have to keep AA down.

Wreav

Banned
Guys, how is the i5 2500k holding up against the newer breeds? I'm on a mobo that stopped taking BIOS updates in 2012 and can't really upgrade much beyond that CPU, and I'm trying to avoid a full system rebuild.

Hoping upgrading my 660ti to a 970/980 will last me another 2 years or so.

I really wish PC building wasn't such an expensive hobby... I'm often tempted to completely strip down my rig and rebuild it just to scratch the builder's itch.

RGM79

Guys, how is the i5 2500k holding up against the newer breeds? I'm on a mobo that stopped taking BIOS updates in 2012 and can't really upgrade much beyond that CPU, and I'm trying to avoid a full system rebuild.

Hoping upgrading my 660ti to a 970/980 will last me another 2 years or so.

The i5 2500K isn't that far behind. Overclock your i5 2500K and you'll be fine for another few years.
Hi guys I need some advice!

http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-3000c15q-16grbb
I got the memory Gskill ripjaw F4-3000C15Q-16GRBB for my new rig and it is currently running at 2133mhz. What is the difference between tested speeds 3000 and SPD speed 2133? I tried to change the speed on the motherboard configuration to 3000mhz but I got an error message. Is this stick only 2133mhz?
What motherboard do you have? What does the error message say?

Enable or set the XMP profile, that's all you need to do. The menus will look somewhat different, but the options should be named similarly. You don't need to change any speed or latency timings yourself. If it still doesn't work, you may need to update your motherboard BIOS.

Xenus

AFAIK the 6700K has been extremely difficult to find since it's release. Pretty incredible that Intel hasn't sorted out supply issues by now.

Yeah in fact supply is so bad everyplace is selling it above the $349.99 MSRP on Black Friday with everyone but Microcenter doing it horribly so. Newegg was selling it for $419.99 on Black Friday. I was lucky enough to have 2 Microcenters near me so I went and got it after work on Black Friday. The one I was at only had like 6-7 left in the case when I got mine.

Microcenter's webstore annoyed me though. I went to get a tablet as a gift for a friend and have it shipped to them only to find out that it would only allow shipping to the billing address on the credit card you are using. Also for anyone wondering $359.99 6700k was instore only not avaible from the their webstore.

I just kept checking newegg every day and then one day it just happened to be there.

Xenus

I just kept checking newegg every day and then one day it just happened to be there.

Yeah it wasn't in stock anywhere in the US for like 3 months except for random times people were able to buy them with outrageously expensive bundles. Then after that it was in stock pretty regularly till black friday but at that time it was late enough that I figured I'd wait till Black Friday to see if I could get 10-50 bucks off or so. Not really so much other then cheaper motherboards.

Also I have to say while I wait on my RAM from newegg this box the thermaltake-x9 comes in is massive.

kennah

A friend is going to lend me his oculus rift dev kit 2. What are some good games for it? I've done a bit of googling and am going to attempt a hl2 play though again. Has anyone used that vorpx to add support to games like borderlands?

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I should mention that SATA Express is dead. Motherboards have it, but no one really made any SSDs that support that plug. When M.2 came out, everyone jumped to that instead since it was already being used, even faster, and less clunky (doesn't take up two whole ports plus a little more). The only reason manufacturers still include it on higher end motherboards is more just so they can and advertise about having it included. Better to be able to brag about it than not have it, I guess. Probably doesn't cost them too much to include the extra connections and plastic. There are other uses for it, though.

Assuming you don't have problems reading from that SSD, then give this guide a try, cloning is fairly easy and hassle-free.

as it turns out it is a read error of some sort so cloning didn't work, oh well

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Hmm, any idea if they'll be overclocking the E8400? Small coolers are inherently kind of noisy because they have smaller fans that need to spin faster to move more air through the also small heatsink. And any idea how much you want to spend on the cooler?

As I recall for older PCs from the C2D era, the round Zalman coolers like the Zalman CNPS9500 were popular for being very effective yet small enough to fit in cases like the one you linked to. Otherwise there's horizontal coolers like the Cooler Master GeminII S524 or the Scythe Shuriken models. Can't think of any others at the moment.
It's for my parents so they won't be doing any OC. :p

I wanted to spend about $20, but I guess I can get the Zalman. I wonder if buying it used from ebay would be bad. :?

FinKL

When i checked 3 weeks ago, I saw Newegg selling for like $410 and Frys had it in store for $350, ended up driving to Frys for it. Definitely has been stocked limited and I've been checking since start of Nov.

RGM79

It's for my parents so they won't be doing any OC. :p

I wanted to spend about $20, but I guess I can get the Zalman. I wonder if buying it used from ebay would be bad. :?

Well you don't have to spend too much especially if it's not gonna be overclocked. Just keep in mind that the small case kinda limits your options and the smaller the cooler, the more likely that it'll have to be loud at times. Otherwise I'd just recommend the good old 212 Evo for $20 and be done with it. Give the computer a thorough cleaning as best you can. I don't really see a problem with buying a used cooler so long as it works and has all the parts. Try to get one with a normal fan, a specialized fan like the one on those Zalman rounded coolers will be difficult to replace if it breaks down.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
A few more things arrived.

x33mpwy.jpg

Well you don't have to spend too much especially if it's not gonna be overclocked. Just keep in mind that the small case kinda limits your options and the smaller the cooler, the more likely that it'll have to be loud at times. Otherwise I'd just recommend the good old 212 Evo for $20 and be done with it. Give the computer a thorough cleaning as best you can. I don't really see a problem with buying a used cooler so long as it works and has all the parts. Try to get one with a normal fan, a specialized fan like the one on those Zalman rounded coolers will be difficult to replace if it breaks down.
The EVO's definitely too big. :p

I'll compare on ebay to see if there's anything that looks alright.

Hi, looking for some advise. I am updating my pc by changing the gpu to a gtx 970. Should I also change my cpu to a I7 or is my current i5 good enough? Thanks.

my current setup is:

AMD 7950 3GB
I5- 3570 (not overclocked)
8GB Ram

RGM79

Hi, looking for some advise. I am updating my pc by changing the gpu to a gtx 970. Should I also change my cpu to a I7 or is my current i5 good enough? Thanks.

my current setup is:

AMD 7950 3GB
I5- 3570 (not overclocked)
8GB Ram

Is it the i5 3570 or 3570K? Only the K model can be overclocked. You should be fine either way, but if you wanted some more performance then I'd recommend overclocking (if applicable) instead of buying an i7 processor.

Is it the i5 3570 or 3570K? Only the K model can be overclocked. You should be fine either way, but if you wanted some more performance then I'd recommend overclocking (if applicable) instead of buying an i7 processor.

Mine is just the i5 3570 not the k. it can't be overclocked.

Josman

Hello PC GAF, I need a little help:

1) The difference between the i5 4460 and i5 4590 is just clock speeds? or something about the iGPU?

2) I'm trying to make a build for a friend, for around $600. She's just gonna use it for interior design apps, furniture design and modelling, not gaming. What should I go with? keep in mind I'm from Mexico and I'll only be using Amazon.com.mx for shopping so I can't take advantage of deals in the USA

Edit: I forgot, what is the difference between H81 and B85 chipsets?

I'm posting from a PC I built with my own two hands!

Before
IMG0813.jpg

After. My currently messy workspace
IMG0817.jpg

I'm so excited that everything went well! I just need to tidy up, do a little overclocking, and familiarize myself with Windows (I'm coming from OSX).

I was a little nervous installing the CPU and Cooler, but it all worked out :)

Goddamn I'm so excited! I just cracked open a beer and now I'm going to enjoy my new PC :D

Edit - Ugh, sorry about the horizontal photos...cubeupload is a little weird sometimes :/

RGM79

Hello PC GAF, I need a little help:

1) The difference between the i5 4460 and i5 4590 is just clock speeds? or something about the iGPU?

2) I'm trying to make a build for a friend, for around $600. She's just gonna use it for interior design apps, furniture design and modelling, not gaming. What should I go with? keep in mind I'm from Mexico and I'll only be using Amazon.com.mx for shopping so I can't take advantage of deals in the USA

Edit: I forgot, what is the difference between H81 and B85 chipsets?

1. Yes, mainly just clock speed. The iGPU is the same HD Graphics 4600, but with a very slightly higher maximum clock speed for the 4590's iGPU (1.10GHz vs 1.15GHz).

2. How do these parts look? Does she need anything else such as keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, etc?

See here for the main differences between H81 and B85. B85 is a slightly better chipset with more support for certain features and faster and more connectivity.

bs000

Felt like it was time for an upgrade. Finished installing 500 GB SSD, 4TB HDD, GTX 970, and OCed 2600K to 4.5GHz. I've got myself a sweet ride now.

manfestival

I feel ancient since I want to install windows using a disc like the old days and it seems like the latest and greatest is to do the install from a thumb drive. So my question is... I need a newer MOBO in order for it to recognize the USB as a possible boot device right? I am assuming the methodology is about the same as the disc format minus the formatting of the drive to run the OS ... right?

my computer is going through some growing pains and it seems like its time to go ahead and upgrade (gonna keep my video card cause it seems fairly adequate as a 7850 2GB). Any advice as I take my first steps into creating a boot usb? Also been using the same case for like 10 years.... should I buy a new one? I was gonna buy prebuilt from craigslist/online stores but it seems that the value really isnt there.

RGM79

I feel ancient since I want to install windows using a disc like the old days and it seems like the latest and greatest is to do the install from a thumb drive. So my question is... I need a newer MOBO in order for it to recognize the USB as a possible boot device right? I am assuming the methodology is about the same as the disc format minus the formatting of the drive to run the OS ... right?

my computer is going through some growing pains and it seems like its time to go ahead and upgrade (gonna keep my video card cause it seems fairly adequate as a 7850 2GB). Any advice as I take my first steps into creating a boot usb? Also been using the same case for like 10 years.... should I buy a new one? I was gonna buy prebuilt from craigslist/online stores but it seems that the value really isnt there.

It depends, but most motherboards made in the last ~7 years should be able to boot from USB. What model of motherboard do you have?

The methodology is fairly simple. This guide will tell you where to legally obtain the installation files for versions of Windows as old as 7, and the associated tools needed to load them onto a USB drive. Rufus is also a popular tool for creating bootable USB drives, all you need to do is point it at the correct ISO file and USB device.

If you want recommendations for a new case, can you tell us your system specs? We should recommend a case that can fit all of your existing parts, of course. Is there anything you want from a new case? More drive bays? Better airflow and ventilation? New and better looks?

manfestival

It depends, but most motherboards made in the last ~7 years should be able to boot from USB. What model of motherboard do you have?

The methodology is fairly simple. This guide will tell you where to legally obtain the installation files for versions of Windows as old as 7, and the associated tools needed to load them onto a USB drive. Rufus is also a popular tool for creating bootable USB drives, all you need to do is point it at the correct ISO file and USB device.

If you want recommendations for a new case, can you tell us your system specs? We should recommend a case that can fit all of your existing parts, of course. Is there anything you want from a new case? More drive bays? Better airflow and ventilation? New and better looks?
Thanks for the information. I think of all of the things the PSU(its like 550) and GPU will probably be the 2 things I will retain in my system. I am interested in SSD since I have never installed one before and cannot recall having experience with any aside from people showing how fast their boot times were. I have some goofy xion case since I was in high school(I am 28 now). I have no preference except I do not need any extravagant design. Something easy to work with that won't slice me up and doesn't have a very demanding presence(less is more)

My old system for information sake is an AMD Phenom 965, Mobo: biostar TA790GXB3, RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB SDRAM DDR3 1600, some old seagate 600GB HDD.

Funny enough, this computer is pretty old but it has ran dota 2 and most games pretty well. I know that the current generation has finally started to make my system antiquated which means its finally time to upgrade. Which has taken waaaaaay longer than previous years.

I can't believe I'm asking this, but I just got a new pair of senheissers from my brother, they're gorgeous, but I have no idea what port I'm supposed to plug them into on the back of my motherboard.

I've got a Gigabyte Z97N gaming itx mobo, and it's got 6 gold analog connectors. Anyone here know these things?

LilJoka

Mine is just the i5 3570 not the k. it can't be overclocked.

It can be overclocked on a Z series board, usually 4 bins above turbo speed.

I can't believe I'm asking this, but I just got a new pair of senheissers from my brother, they're gorgeous, but I have no idea what port I'm supposed to plug them into on the back of my motherboard.

I've got a Gigabyte Z97N gaming itx mobo, and it's got 6 gold analog connectors. Anyone here know these things?

That would be the 5.1 output. One of those will refer to front left/right and that's where the headphones will work properly. Trial and error or look up the ports in the manual.

It can be overclocked on a Z series board, usually 4 bins above turbo speed.

That would be the 5.1 output. One of those will refer to front left/right and that's where the headphones will work properly. Trial and error or look up the ports in the manual.

Yeah I had to do just that lol. Damn gold connectors >_>

RGM79

Thanks for the information. I think of all of the things the PSU(its like 550) and GPU will probably be the 2 things I will retain in my system. I am interested in SSD since I have never installed one before and cannot recall having experience with any aside from people showing how fast their boot times were. I have some goofy xion case since I was in high school(I am 28 now). I have no preference except I do not need any extravagant design. Something easy to work with that won't slice me up and doesn't have a very demanding presence(less is more)

My old system for information sake is an AMD Phenom 965, Mobo: biostar TA790GXB3, RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB SDRAM DDR3 1600, some old seagate 600GB HDD.

Funny enough, this computer is pretty old but it has ran dota 2 and most games pretty well. I know that the current generation has finally started to make my system antiquated which means its finally time to upgrade. Which has taken waaaaaay longer than previous years.

How much are you thinking of spending on a new case? Here are some cases that I think will suit your requirements:

NZXT Source 210 Elite ($42/$46 depending on color) Basic and devoid of extra features, but gets the job done with good cooling.
Corsair 200R ($43 after $10 rebate) A small step up gives you more ease of mind when it comes to the little details like cable management and ease of PC part installation.
NZXT S340 ($60~89 depending on color) Fairly compact with premium-feeling metal exterior. All versions come with a case window.
Fractal Design Define S ($70/$89 with window) - This has noise suppressing foam lining the case.

You should refer to the motherboard manual, there's a diagram with explanation on pages 19 to 21.
tWWhYwq.jpg

According to the manual, plug it into the port labeled "O".

The hilarious saga of my brother and I, and his mobo continues. I told him by mistake to buy an asus mobo that ended up being DDR3 even thought it was Skylake and and z170, now he's ignoring me and getting an Asus Rog Maximus VIII.

The weirdest thanksgiving.

Hooches

Neo Member
Current Specs: i5 3570k @ 4,0GHz / 16 GB DDR3 RAM / ASRock Z77 Pro3 / GTX 980 TI EVGA / 2x SSDs, 1TB HDD
Budget: 350€-400€ + Germany
Main Use: Mostly Gaming
Monitor Resolution:144Hz 1920x1080 G-Sync Monitor

Results of my Benchmark today: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/9558703

Currently i´m playing Just Cause 3 and Battlefront, but especially during Just Cause 3 i noticed FPS drops. I guess my aging CPU might be the reason.

Would it be a big boost to upgrade the CPU to a newer one? Or would this be a waste of money? What CPU would you buy?

Thanks in advance!

Current Specs: i5 3570k @ 4,0GHz / 16 GB DDR3 RAM / ASRock Z77 Pro3 / GTX 980 TI EVGA / 2x SSDs, 1TB HDD
Budget: 350€-400€ + Germany
Main Use: Mostly Gaming
Monitor Resolution:144Hz 1920x1080 G-Sync Monitor

Results of my Benchmark today: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/9558703

Currently i´m playing Just Cause 3 and Battlefront, but especially during Just Cause 3 i noticed FPS drops. I guess my aging CPU might be the reason.

Would it be a big boost to upgrade the CPU to a newer one? Or would this be a waste of money? What CPU would you buy?

Thanks in advance!

You can see here and decide for yourself. Your CPU should be around the i5-4670k.

In my opinion though, it will not be worth it. Or even possible to do with that budget. To see a sizeable change, you will have to upgrade to skylake i7 or Haswell-E at least and that would require new MOBO, CPU, RAM.

You can overclock your 3570k to 4.5 for example and it will be ok. And possibly even overclock your RAM speed as Frostbyte engine (Star Wars 3) seems to benefit from that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom