• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.
980 Ti 100%. Much better than SLI.

That is what I was thinking, just wanted confirmation.

Another quick question, that monitor is 4k G Sync @ 60Hz. Would it better to sell it and buy a 1440p 144hz monitor? This is a beast of a monitor, but with actual gaming aspects is what I am getting hung up on. Tough choices.

That is what I was thinking, just wanted confirmation.

Another quick question, that monitor is 4k G Sync @ 60Hz. Would it better to sell it and buy a 1440p 144hz monitor? This is a beast of a monitor, but with actual gaming aspects is what I am getting hung up on. Tough choices.
If I had to choose between them I would go 1440p 144Hz. However, if you have to lose a decent chunk of money by trying to resell it you may want to think it over.

For instance, what games do you like to play?

Edit: I just opened your link. That's a sweet display. The pixel count is actually quite a bit lower than a 4k display. The 980 TI would be a perfect match but if you like to play older games I could see your current 970 getting by.

If I had to choose between them I would go 1440p 144Hz. However, if you have to lose a decent chunk of money by trying to resell it you may want to think it over.

For instance, what games do you like to play?

I play, for the most part, everything. That monitor is $1400 new. I mean even losing $200, I would make money selling it and getting the best 1440p 144hz.

I play, for the most part, everything. That monitor is $1400 new. I mean even losing $200, I would make money selling it and getting the best 1440p 144hz.
Yeah, I just made an edit. I thought you got a 4k monitor.

Up to you. I guess you could try to put it up for sale and see if anyone bites. And in the meantime give it a go? Maybe you'll find yourself liking the aspect ratio.

Edit: doing this stuff on a phone is so slow lol.

Yeah, I just made an edit. I thought you got a 4k monitor.

Up to you. I guess you could try to put it up for sale and see if anyone bites. And in the meantime give it a go? Maybe you'll find yourself liking the aspect ratio.

Edit: doing this stuff on a phone is so slow lol.

Mobile replying is a pain. I already have someone would be willing to buy it for $1100 (Ridiculous, i think). Since at this point money is pretty much not a problem for buying a new monitor. May as well go with a 980ti at this point. I was going to end up buying a 1440p 144Hz monitor after Christmas, but now that there is more or less no budget, it seems that a BenQ Curved Ultra Wide 35inch is the best money can buy. I've always been one to buy the absolute best when I do my few year upgrade. May was well do that now.

The only reason I bought that 970 was to wait out until Pascal, but with a new monitor like that not a big point to anymore.

paskowitz

You got an X34 for free... KEEP IT! Jesus. Sell the 970 and get a top class 980 Ti. You may not be able to play games like GTAV or TW3 at the X34's res and 100hz w/ max settings but stuff like BF4, pCARS, and anything below the "most demanding game out there" category will be fine.

For the 980 Ti, I would get the Gigabyte Extreme Waterforce. Outside of the $800+ EVGA K|NGP|N it is the best 980 Ti. That should reliably clock to 1500Mhz+ on the core and 8000Mhz+ on the memory (which is important at that resolution).

Ugh I'm struggling so hard with monitors right now. Have the original ROG Swift I got for cheap and I like it but I'm ready for 21:9 ultra wide goodness. Refrained myself from the x34 with G-Sync because of pricing and holiday spending but it's just so hard.

Plus waiting for the Asus version is getting painful.

baphomet

I got better performance from sli 970s than a single 980ti.

I have sli 980tis now, and even I would have trouble running brand new games on that monitor. It's super nice, but I would probably sell it. Of course that's just my person opinion.

I'm trying to decide between a GTX 960 or a AMD 380. The 380 seems to be the better choice in benchmarks and is similar in price. the 970 is super expensive in Australia. Fucking Nvidia Pricing.

I have sli 980tis now, and even I would have trouble running brand new games on that monitor. It's super nice, but I would probably sell it. Of course that's just my person opinion.

If that is the case, would going for the Titan (Honestly not worried about price at this point due to getting that monitor free) be the best option? I know technically it is, but with Pascal on the horizon and promising a 10-12% boost, I cannot decide if it is worth it to just got for a Titan.

paskowitz

Did you overclock either the 970s or 980 Ti? Plus I would think SLI is hit and miss.

I can run pCARS and BF at 4K (DSR), max settings with no AA at about 60-100fps with my single (overclocked) 980 Ti. Turn down the settings one notch and constant 90fps is possible.

If that is the case, would going for the Titan (Honestly not worried about price at this point due to getting that monitor free) be the best option? I know technically it is, but with Pascal on the horizon and promising a 10-12% boost, I cannot decide if it is worth it to just got for a Titan.

TItan is NOT worth the money. At best it is 5% faster than the 980 Ti (for 40% extra $). If you get a stinker of a card, then a good 980 Ti will beat it easily. If you have that kind of money, just go SLI 980 Ti and call it a day. We still don't know if big or little Pascal is coming first. If it comes later we could be waiting until late 2016 or worse for a 1080 Ti.

Titan would do the same as the 980 Ti, possibly worse because of thermal limitations.

I have 12 GB of this RAM.

I'm guessing 2x2 and 2x4?

Anyway, you can use them if you go to a Haswell system, since it still uses DDR3 (not that ram is that expensive now anyway).

Titan would do the same as the 980 Ti, possibly worse because of thermal limitations.

Okay great. So at this point it seems like the my best course of action is to go with a 980ti OCed and keep the X34. If needed I could always go and buy another 980ti if i felt the need for the extra power. Like i've said previously, my biggest worry is Pascal destroying everything that came before it.

Okay great. So at this point it seems like the my best course of action is to go with a 980ti OCed and keep the X34. If needed I could always go and buy another 980ti if i felt the need for the extra power. Like i've said previously, my biggest worry is Pascal destroying everything that came before it.

I think 980 Ti is the way to go, whether you go for the curved X34 or a 1440p 144Hz monitor.

Which monitor you end up with depends on what you like best.

About Pascal, it'll be an improvement, but I doubt it'll be anything nutter. A 30% improvement on the 980 Ti would be in the impressive camp IMO.

OraleeWey

So, it appears that USPS perhaps lost my Video Card. Apparently it was delivered at 1:34pm on December the 2nd. I didn't check for a box until about 8pm that day, but my relatives were outside around that time and they claim that no mail was left for me.

The tracking shows delivered, but again, no package. What are the chances that I can file a claim and get the claim money out of this situation? I've never had this problem happen to me before.

Also, what a good replacement card comparable to the R9 270x?

These are my parts
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/QxnyYJ

I'm thinking a GTX 960 4g if I can get a good deal on it. Not sure about a budget, somewhere around $100 bucks. Will probably get something used.

paskowitz

Link to the card I was referencing:

http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5683#kf

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_page...0_ti_extreme_gaming_waterforce_review,37.html

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...re=GV-N98TXTREME_W-6GD-_-14-125-838-_-Product

grumble

I think 980 Ti is the way to go, whether you go for the curved X34 or a 1440p 144Hz monitor.

Which monitor you end up with depends on what you like best.

About Pascal, it'll be an improvement, but I doubt it'll be anything nutter. A 30% improvement on the 980 Ti would be in the impressive camp IMO.

The new process shrink could actually be quite impressive, and the new memory too. In theory we could see a jump bigger than anything in several years. Amd should have impressive stuff coming down the pipe as well.

8ypMtWG.jpg

VS
Ti0bdtf.jpg

Both are comparable in price.

Diablos

The ITX versions have lower clock speeds and therefore perform worse overall. Only buy the ITX version of you cannot fit the full size version in the case.
Is it significant in terms of performance though?

Flirting with the idea of a Mini ITX build.

LilJoka

Is it significant in terms of performance though?

Flirting with the idea of a Mini ITX build.

Yes, it can be up to 10-15% worse. As I said, most ITX builds cater for full size GPUs, so exactly what are you looking to use for the case?
The ITX versions tend not to overclock well either, and of course can be a bit louder overall due to the smaller heat sinks.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The 980 Ti is a sweet spot for 144@1080 or 60@1440, if you want to max out your games. I'm hoping high end Pascal opens doors to better 4K performance, but we'll see. GPU performance increases have been incremental for so long that I'm conditioned to expect the same from Pascal.

Diablos

A lot of people have told me that my CPU is good enough (well, except for big-name PC websites), so I think I'll stick with it! Guess I just need to upgrade my GPU, then. I have a GTX 960 2GB. Income tax I guess I can upgrade to a better, 4GB card.

Thanks for the response!
Sure, no problem! If you want to upgrade your CPU I understand, even yours is a bit dated now -- but don't swtich to a 6300 as that would for most purposes be a step backwards. Otherwise you might want to wait until next year depending on how much money you want to spend; things are kind of at a dead end right now until newer tech comes out.

Ah, yes. So if that link is right then we should see the FX brand come back to life during the second half of next year (Summit Ridge)?

Yes, it can be up to 10-15% worse. As I said, most ITX builds cater for full size GPUs, so exactly what are you looking to use for the case?
The ITX versions tend not to overclock well either, and of course can be a bit louder overall due to the smaller heat sinks.
Not sure what case I would want to use yet, I am looking at quite a few. I never overclock GPU's and I really don't even like OCing CPU's very much.

A 10-15% drop in performance kind of sucks though.

I wish the GTX 970 would come down in price, especially the smaller form factor since it's not clocked as high anyway.

sl4yor

Neo Member
Looking to go a little crazy on my next PC, moved to a new city without a gaming computer and put this together. Final price was about $3000 Canadian, avoiding buying from the states due to how weak our dollar is. Anything you guys think I should change?

1 x INTEL® CORE™ I7-6700K Processor (8M Cache Up to 4.10 GHz) FC-LGA1151 Retail Box for NCIX PC
1 x Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H100I GTX CPU Cooler System LGA1150 1155 1156 1366 2011 AM2 AM3 FM1 FM2
1 x Corsair Vengeance Lpx 16GB 4X4GB DDR4-2800 C16 Memory Kit Blue
1 x ASUS Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Z170 Skylake DDR4 3PCI-E16 3PCI-E1 1PCI CrossFireX/SLI USB3.1 Motherboard
1 x ASUS GeForce GTX 980 Ti Strix 1317MHZ 6GB 7.2GHZ GDDR5 DVI HDMI 3XDISPLAYPORT PCI-E Video Card
1 x Corsair CS850M CS Modular 80 Plus GOLD-RATE 850W 12V Power Supply
1 x Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower EATX White Case w/ Window 3x 5.25EXT 6x 3.5INT 2x USB3.0 No PS
1 x Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64Bit English DVD OEM for NCIX PC
1 x Samsung 850 EVO Series 1TB SSD MZ-75E1T0B/AM 2.5INCH SATA 3 Internal SSD
1 x ASUS DRW-24F1ST 24X SATA DVD Writer Black

RGM79

Hey guys, what would be the consequence of putting 2 sets of DDR3 RAM sticks from different manufactures? Specifically these two:

http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f3-1866c9d-8gab
http://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/HX318C10FK2_16.pdf

Thanks.

Nothing that I know of. They're only slightly different in that the Kingston model has very slightly higher latency timings. If placed together, the motherboard will make them run at the same speed and latency settings automatically. If it doesn't work right away, you may need to update the motherboard BIOS to support the RAM.

LilJoka

Sure, no problem! If you want to upgrade your CPU I understand, even yours is a bit dated now -- but don't swtich to a 6300 as that would for most purposes be a step backwards. Otherwise you might want to wait until next year depending on how much money you want to spend; things are kind of at a dead end right now until newer tech comes out.

Ah, yes. So if that link is right then we should see the FX brand come back to life during the second half of next year (Summit Ridge)?

Not sure what case I would want to use yet, I am looking at quite a few. I never overclock GPU's and I really don't even like OCing CPU's very much.

A 10-15% drop in performance kind of sucks though.

I wish the GTX 970 would come down in price, especially the smaller form factor since it's not clocked as high anyway.

There's only a few ITX cases I can think of that really need the small gpu, but most popular ones like Silverstone RVZ01/02 or Fractal Design Node 304 fit full size cards. Have a look at cases before having to work out the GPU.

Looking to go a little crazy on my next PC, moved to a new city without a gaming computer and put this together. Final price was about $3000 Canadian, avoiding buying from the states due to how weak our dollar is. Anything you guys think I should change?

1 x INTEL® CORE™ I7-6700K Processor (8M Cache Up to 4.10 GHz) FC-LGA1151 Retail Box for NCIX PC
1 x Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H100I GTX CPU Cooler System LGA1150 1155 1156 1366 2011 AM2 AM3 FM1 FM2
1 x ASUS Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Z170 Skylake DDR4 3PCI-E16 3PCI-E1 1PCI CrossFireX/SLI USB3.1 Motherboard
1 x ASUS GeForce GTX 980 Ti Strix 1317MHZ 6GB 7.2GHZ GDDR5 DVI HDMI 3XDISPLAYPORT PCI-E Video Card
1 x Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower EATX White Case w/ Window 3x 5.25EXT 6x 3.5INT 2x USB3.0 No PS

Looks pretty good, but it would help if you could provide a PC Part Picker link. Then it's easy to see how much each component is and whatnot.

I would consider dropping down to a cheaper cooler unless you plan on major overclocking (212 Evo is probably fine). And I'd probably go for a lower wattage PSU, maybe from the EVGA supernova G2 line.

knitoe

I'm going to go ahead and buy that one right now. Thank you!

Thank you everyone for all the help!

The Acer Predator X34 is a ultrawide Gsync 100hz 1440p monitor. Not 4K. At that resolution, a single high end video card should offer good performance with max settings or near. Congrats on winning the best current gaming monitor. Unlike you, I will be spending $1300 on mine.

paskowitz

Changes I would make:

- CPU Cooler: See if you can get the H110i GTX. Prices have been similar to the H100i GTX. Worth it if the difference is ~$10.
- GPU: I would go with the GPU I recommended above, Gigabyte Extreme Gaming Waterforce 980 Ti. Plus it will match better with the mobo and case.
- If you don't plan on go SLI I would go with a 650W PSU from EVGA. G2 is best. If you do plan on doing SLI, step up to a 1000W PSU.
- Finally I would invest in some nice fans. At least one for the rear exhaust, maybe more for your AIO unit(s). If you don't mind the color (Black w/a little brown), Noctua's Industrial fans are great.

Kite

Thanks for the responses earlier in the thread, I'm about the pull the trigger on upgrading my graphics card and need to make sure the two choices I have in mind will fit properly. I did some googling of my motherboard and the vid card model numbers and it should be find but I'd prefer gaf's expert opinion.

Here is my old computer
CPU
Intel Core i7 2600 @ 3.40GHz 38 °C
Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology

Motherboard
MSI P67A-C43 (MS-7673) (SOCKET 0) 40 °C

and the two video cards I'm looking at are the
GTX 950
or the AMD 370. I wish I could afford the better cards like the 960 or 970 but $150 is my budget. Any thoughts on which I should choose, if they'll fit or alternative cards in the price range. I see a bunch of different companies making nvidia 950s and AMD 370s with different prices..

Thanks!

You should be fine. As I understand it, the graphics card does all of the special work in rendering a game at a higher resolution then squeezing it down to 1080p to send to your monitor. As far as the monitor and DVI cable is concerned, it's receiving a 1080p signal and image, it doesn't know or care that it's in DSR mode or that the image was originally much higher resolution.

The R9 390 will draw a bit less than 300 watts when under load. Your i7 2700K if overclocked might draw somewhere a bit over 100 watts. You shouldn't have an issue powering everything with your existing 650 watt PSU, but if you really want to upgrade, there are some excellent 750~850 watt power supplies for far less than £120. Here's some:

XFX XTR Series 750 watt bronze for £86
EVGA G2 750 watt gold for £83
Corsair RMx Series 750 watt for £87

As far as I can see, the Corsair HX1000 is an old discontinued design dating back to 2008. It was very good quality back then though. There's a new HX1000i that was released in 2014 that according to recent reviews is also an excellent power supply, but costs about £160 at the lowest that I can find. If you want alternatives in the 1000 watt range, then consider these:

XFX Pro Series gold for £110
EVGA GQ gold for £117

I will do some tinkering with my current PSU before I buy a new one. Try and get some efficient overclocks going. I wasn't going to buy one until I found the edge of the capability of what I had but I figured it might not cut it. We will find out I guess!

Thank you for the input, I'll keep note of these in case I do get a new one.

That makes sense. Thanks!

What's the problem?

manfestival

What exactly are you buying? What's your part list look like? While the Xeon processor does cost a bit more, you can probably make up for it by going with a cheaper motherboard. The i5 4690K would in theory have slightly higher power consumption than the Xeon because it has integrated graphics built in and just slightly higher clock speed. That and the fact that the i5 is rated at 88 watts of thermal design power while the Xeon is rated at 80 watts TDP.
Planning on spending around $500.
Thanks for all your responses. Was thinking about placing my order after my paycheck in a little over a week. Only looking to maximize my build around CPU, mobo, ram, harddrive and case. Keeping my GPU( http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008MJHS8I/?tag=neogaf0e-20 ) and PSU(I think its 550w). Planning on upgrading my video card with a tax return or fat bonus check but that won't be till next month. I am leaning towards the xeon like you suggested and probably that case, so that is about 300 of my 500 budget for the rig.

Lucentto

Banned
So are those builds in the OP good to follow? I am planning on building a PC this holiday but I know little about parts. Looking for something in the around ~$1000 total. I don't really game too much on PC but I am still looking for something strong enough to max nearly every game at 1080p, emulators too.

So I have this ram with my i7 5820K:

DDR4 2133

With some evidence showing significant performance increases with faster ram I'm considering this set:

DDR 4 3200

What does "I need a new PC" gaf think? Most reports center around Skylake, so I'm not sure if the Quad channel Haswell-E negates any of the gains of faster ram or sees similar improvements.

Schryver

I recently rearranged my room and since plugging in my PC it won't boot properly. It shows the Gigabyte logo with BIOS options and then boots to a solid green screen (my Windows8 login background is that color I think). If I try to change the boot drive to the SSD that the OS is on I get the reboot and choose proper boot device message. Sometimes it shows the solid blue screen (which I actually got about 10%? of the time I would boot up prior to this). Did my harddrive die or do I just need to reinstall the OS or something? :/

DDR4 2133

With some evidence showing significant performance increases with faster ram I'm considering this set:

DDR 4 3200

What does "I need a new PC" gaf think? Most reports center around Skylake, so I'm not sure if the Quad channel Haswell-E negates any of the gains of faster ram or sees similar improvements.
I think it doesn't make a lot of sense. Just save your money for your next GPU upgrade, it would make a much much bigger difference than faster RAM.

What's the problem?

Oh shit. I totally misquoted. Meant to quote the post below. Sorry Burgess. Was on my phone and somehow grabbed the wrong post to quote.

You should be fine. As I understand it, the graphics card does all of the special work in rendering a game at a higher resolution then squeezing it down to 1080p to send to your monitor. As far as the monitor and DVI cable is concerned, it's receiving a 1080p signal and image, it doesn't know or care that it's in DSR mode or that the image was originally much higher resolution.

Thanks RGM!

I think it doesn't make a lot of sense. Just save your money for your next GPU upgrade, it would make a much much bigger difference than faster RAM.

Alright, I'll hold off for now. I know the prevailing thought on faster ram until very recently has been that it makes little difference, though recently with some modern hardware pushing games we've been seeing very significant gains in benchmarks from faster ram. Witcher 3 and CryEngine games for example. I don't have anywhere to go GPU-wise for a while but I'll wait and see as more data becomes available. Thanks.

Hmmm...This is my first time ever trying to OC anything (I come from a MacBook Pro) so this stuff sounds really complicated to me haha. I might stick to default settings until I'm comfortable with BIOS and understand what everything does. I'm really worried about accidentally bricking my newly built PC haha.

It's extremely difficult to permanently damage a PC from overclocking. Worst thing that happens is you crash. If you're doing it right, you'll crash a lot early on until you settle in on a nice stable overclock. CPUs and GPUs will thermally throttle and even hang, causing a hard lock, long before you can cause any real damage. Just don't give anything crazy voltages and you'll be fine.

It's probably hypothetically easier to destroy memory but again you need to really give it crazy voltages before there's any real danger. That guide is very helpful in do's and don'ts, read it carefully and you won't have any problems. Also do read your mobo's manual as well, as it lays out where your overclocking settings are in the BIOS and what each setting does.

DDR4 2133

DDR 4 3200

Before I answer your quesiton, let me ask you one. Why do you need 32GB of RAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom