• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Graphics card finally got here.

The GTS 250 (aka 8900/9800 GTX+ etc) looks so small in comparison.

The right side is a bit empty, but I'll probably put something there when Pascal arrives.

Graphics card finally got here.

The GTS 250 (aka 8900/9800 GTX+ etc) looks so small in comparison.

The right side is a bit empty, but I'll probably put something there when Pascal arrives.

so niceeeee :O it's kinda nostalgic seeing an out of the box msi twin frozr gpu especially when i started building it !

gratz on the upgrade my friend :O

Finaika

img_20151215_190324_regpwl.jpg

That card is a beast.

RGM79

Hm... just wanted to ask a question

i know pascal based gpu's are coming next year and it will be a much more upgraded and better transition per generation of gpu's for a long time.

for someone with a 980ti, would it be a smart idea to upgrade to a pascal gpu with the equivalent ti variant like the 980ti or even titan x? will the price be more expensive?

Too many unknowns. We don't know anything yet about the graphics cards you're interested in.

manfestival

how does one know that their cpu is bottlenecking their system/gpu?

I am hoping that my system can handle star citizen once I get a new GPU next month (probably the 970)

Finaika

Hm... just wanted to ask a question

i know pascal based gpu's are coming next year and it will be a much more upgraded and better transition per generation of gpu's for a long time.

for someone with a 980ti, would it be a smart idea to upgrade to a pascal gpu with the equivalent ti variant like the 980ti or even titan x? will the price be more expensive?

If the Pascal Titan X is double the performance of the 980Ti I would see why not.

StuffRuff

UK/EU Gaffers, should I jump on the opportunity to get a "Open Box" (Amazon Warehouse) Asus Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 Matrix Platinum for £325 or am I better off waiting till next year?

It seems like a decent price but I'm not desperate for a new card and could work for the Pascal stuff to come out.

kennah

UK/EU Gaffers, should I jump on the opportunity to get a "Open Box" (Amazon Warehouse) Asus Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 Matrix Platinum for £325 or am I better off waiting till next year?

It seems like a decent price but I'm not desperate for a new card and could work for the Pascal stuff to come out.
Don't do it. 980 is a totally pointless card. Get a 970 or 980 ti or wait.

How are drivers these days on the AMD side? Back when I had my 5770 there were a handful of games that had juttering and tearing which really turned me off. When I upgraded to a 560ti all the issues pretty much disappeared. I remember reading that the 5770 was uniquely borked in some cases but that soured me on AMD for quite a while. I'm working up to a new build soon and I'm debating going back to AMD with some flavor of 390 due to the bang for buck against the 970.

RGM79

How are drivers these days on the AMD side? Back when I had my 5770 there were a handful of games that had juttering and tearing which really turned me off. When I upgraded to a 560ti all the issues pretty much disappeared. I remember reading that the 5770 was uniquely borked in some cases but that soured me on AMD for quite a while. I'm working up to a new build soon and I'm debating going back to AMD with some flavor of 390 due to the bang for buck against the 970.

In what way was the 5770 broken? The 560 Ti is a pretty substantial upgrade from the 5770, so that might have been one reason for your issues to go away.

how does one know that their cpu is bottlenecking their system/gpu?

I am hoping that my system can handle star citizen once I get a new GPU next month (probably the 970)

benchmark it at different resolutions.

You should get fps that are close to each other at the different resolutions if it is cpu limited.

Like try 720p and 1080p.

You can also check your cpu cores/threads and if they are at 100%.

Azzurri

Gold Member
Can someone try and help me out here.

I am trying to get into the bios on my windows 10 system w but whenever I restart and then press del my screens are just black, my pc is running and nothing happens, nothing comes on the screen. If I restart and don't press anything it goes into windows 10 normally.

I was told to do a cold restart to see if that helps, but if that doesn't any other advice? Not home now.

In what way was the 5770 broken? The 560 Ti is a pretty substantial upgrade from the 5770, so that might have been one reason for your issues to go away.

Well, yeah the performance was much better, but certain low intensity games, specifically Geometry Wars and Zombie Driver had really bad juttering and tearing. It wasn't the end of the world, but I noticed when I moved to nvidia everything worked without much fuss.

RayStorm

Don't do it. 980 is a totally pointless card. Get a 970 or 980 ti or wait.

Considering that the 980 lies right in the middle between 970 and 980ti, as long as the price matches the performance the 980 does not appear to be a pointless card. Or even one to advise against at all.

RGM79

Well, yeah the performance was much better, but certain low intensity games, specifically Geometry Wars and Zombie Driver had really bad juttering and tearing. It wasn't the end of the world, but I noticed when I moved to nvidia everything worked without much fuss.

Well with the release of AMD's Omega drivers and now the newer Crimson drivers, they've been steadily making improvements in terms of features and performance that improve user experience and frame efficiency. That said, I think Eurogamer's Digital foundry still mentions AMD drivers having more overhead than Nvidia's drivers.

Can someone try and help me out here.

I am trying to get into the bios on my windows 10 system w but whenever I restart and then press del my screens are just black, my pc is running and nothing happens, nothing comes on the screen. If I restart and don't press anything it goes into windows 10 normally.

I was told to do a cold restart to see if that helps, but if that doesn't any other advice? Not home now.

What are your computer's specs?

If anyone is looking for an IPS freesync monitor now is your time to buy. Amazon Warehouse UK have an extra 30% off on the majority of their stock and you can pick up an ASUS MG279Q that comes without original packaging though the monitor itself is pristine for just £312.

I bought mine with damaged packaging and the box was fine really, the monitor was brand new never opened. I paid £370 and that was more than worth it, at £312 its a steal.

If anyone is looking for an IPS freesync monitor now is your time to buy. Amazon Warehouse UK have an extra 30% off on the majority of their stock and you can pick up an ASUS MG279Q that comes without original packaging though the monitor itself is pristine for just £312.

I bought mine with damaged packaging and the box was fine really, the monitor was brand new never opened. I paid £370 and that was more than worth it, at £312 its a steal.

$500 in the us, not quite as good a deal.

I am in the market for a monitor in that price range, but it has been five years since my last monitor purchase (a Dell UltraSharp U2410 that I ADORE) and I do want to put something really nice in front of my new 980. Is this monitor considered best in class for that price point?

What do you guys think of this build setup?
I'm trying to build a video editing PC/gaming setup for less than $1500.
Should I make any changes?
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YfZ7t6
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YfZ7t6/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($249.99 @ Micro Center)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 EXTREME6 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($151.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($72.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($99.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($149.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card ($309.99 @ Micro Center)
Case: NZXT Phantom 530 (White) ATX Full Tower Case ($114.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: LG UH12NS30 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($39.88 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($89.88 @ OutletPC)
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-AC68 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($85.59 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1480.04
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-18 13:49 EST-0500

RGM79

Hey guys. Looking to order this before 12pm today to get it delivered same day, so cherrypicking prices on PCPartPicker isn't an option (aka, I want it today, lol).

Objective is 1080p/60 gaming with some compromises on newer titles, to hold me over until Pascal next year.

Thoughts?

LBp2g1R.png

I have a HDD and case already (Corsair 250D). Definitely not my first build (previous custom loop watercooled GTX 980 SLi/i5 build, etc), but I've honestly never built anything in the "budget" space so wanna make sure I am picking the right components for the price point (~$500).

Drop the SSD and get a stronger processor for better framerates. Don't get that PSU, it's not very good at all. Paying $190 for a GTX 960 2GB is just not good, but I guess you don't have a lot of choice. Go with a 4GB model if you can, for an extra $10 it'll prove longer-lasting in the future. This is my version of your parts list, power supply and graphics card are much better..

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.68 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H81N Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Patriot Signature 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($35.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 960 4GB Video Card ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $535.64
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-18 13:56 EST-0500

Edit: Pulled the trigger on a 960/i3 build. This will be my first "budget" build ($550), so excited to see how that goes.

Darn, oh well. In any case, your original parts list isn't that bad, I hope you don't run into issues with the power supply.

RGM79

What do you guys think of this build setup?
I'm trying to build a video editing PC/gaming setup for less than $1500.
Should I make any changes?

Yes, there are quite a few things you should change. The 840 Evo is discontinued and expensive, the newer and better 850 Evo is cheaper for example. Other parts like the 3TB hard drive and wifi adaptor are grossly overpriced.

For $1500, this is what I recommend:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($309.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($77.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($67.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX200 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Toshiba 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($81.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card ($605.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($44.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($29.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1513.65
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-18 14:08 EST-0500

Sure, it costs $30 more but you're getting far stronger performance, especially with that GTX 980 Ti. Everything else is roughly equivalent in terms of performance, except for some parts that have fewer features or are lesser performing but still more than adequate for your needs.

finalflame

Just put together my "hold-over" build while I wait for Pascal to hit and do an SLi build of whatever their 12gb+ HBM2/16nm cards are.

CPU: Intel Core i3-4170 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor (Purchased For $117.55)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H81N Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard (Purchased For $69.99)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (Purchased For $39.99)
Storage: Sandisk SSD PLUS 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $69.99)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $49.99)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card (Purchased For $189.99)
Case: Corsair 250D Mini ITX Tower Case (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: EVGA 400W ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $29.99)
Total: $567.49
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-18 14:12 EST-0500

Can't wait to get some things installed and tweak settings. I've always had really top-end builds, so having to manage settings and the likes to hit my desired performance will be a new experience, and, oddly, one I'm excited for.

Drop the SSD and get a stronger processor for better framerates. Don't get that PSU, it's not very good at all. Paying $190 for a GTX 960 2GB is just not good, but I guess you don't have a lot of choice. Go with a 4GB model if you can, for an extra $10 it'll prove longer-lasting in the future. This is my version of your parts list, power supply and graphics card are much better..

Darn, oh well. In any case, your original parts list isn't that bad, I hope you don't run into issues with the power supply.

Hey, -- thanks for the detailed answer! I actually only need this build to last me ~8 months until Pascal hits and I can build a much more powerful system, so I wasn't too worried on the longevity of the PSU (what Jonny's review seems to pin as the biggest negative due to the build quality on internal components).

As for the 960, I just need it to handle most games at 1080p/60 as long as settings are tweaked down to high with not much AA, or cheap FXAA, at 1080p. Mostly I'll be using the build to try out some PC exclusive RTS that I've been missing and dive into some Divinity and the likes. I thought the 960 was at a decent price point ($190) for what it is. In the benchmarks I saw, the difference in performance between i3/i5/i7 was negligible on most games (Crysis 3 being the exception), so didn't spring for the nearly twice as expensive i5.

Either way I'll have it put together tonight and will report back!

Freaky

Neo Member
Budget: 1400 to 1700$
Main Use: Rate 4 Gaming, 3D modeling/rendering (3d max), Video Editing, game development engines.

General Usage (Web, Adobe Photoshop, autocad, 1080p playback, torrent).

Monitor Resolution: not required, going to use existing 1080P monitor.

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well:
Should run Unity3d/unreal very good. should run new games very well, not necessarily on max settings for future games in 2016\2017.

Looking to reuse any parts?:
No parts to be reused.

When will you build?: before the end of September if possible.

Will you be overclocking?: No.

Hey guys If I upgrade my memory from 16gb to 32 gb ddr4 2400hz Am I going to see any performance improvemnts in games?

My rig:
Assu mobo
i7 5820k
Gtx 980 ti gygabite
evo ssd 1tb

$500 in the us, not quite as good a deal.

I am in the market for a monitor in that price range, but it has been five years since my last monitor purchase (a Dell UltraSharp U2410 that I ADORE) and I do want to put something really nice in front of my new 980. Is this monitor considered best in class for that price point?

Are you looking at the G-sync alternative? I don't know the technical details really behind that one. I think the best G-sync one is considered to be that 165hz ASUS one. The only downside to this monitor is the Freesnyc range is between 35-90hz but that is due to the IPS limitation. I don't really see the issue though as at least in new games my 390 at 1440p isn't hitting over 90fps.

Freesync is fantastic though, can not fault it, I feel it adds a lot more longevity to the card. As long as it keeps above 35fps, it is pretty much good to go.

Are you looking at the G-sync alternative? I don't know the technical details really behind that one. I think the best G-sync one is considered to be that 165hz ASUS one. The only downside to this monitor is the Freesnyc range is between 35-90hz but that is due to the IPS limitation. I don't really see the issue though as at least in new games my 390 at 1440p isn't hitting over 90fps.

Freesync is fantastic though, can not fault it, I feel it adds a lot more longevity to the card. As long as it keeps above 35fps, it is pretty much good to go.

My actual need is a new primary monitor, I'm going to rotate the Dell out to 'second monitor' status (and finally put to pasture my 15 year old Ezio /salute), so I was just cruising this thread for monitor suggestions on top of a new 980 I got recently.

Can you use a G-Sync monitor as primary and use a regular monitor as secondary? If not, I'm just going to buy another Dell or something, but my price point for a new primary monitor is pretty high so I was flirting with the idea of the latest bells and whistles, but I don't want to overpay if the UK is getting a better deal than the US on the same hardware.

RGM79

Hey guys If I upgrade my memory from 16gb to 32 gb ddr4 2400hz Am I going to see any performance improvemnts in games?

My rig:
Assu mobo
i7 5820k
Gtx 980 ti gygabite
evo ssd 1tb

Nope, not really. There aren't any games that really require 16GB of RAM in the first place. There might be some games that benefit from higher RAM speeds, apparently Fallout 4 is one of them.

Budget: 1400 to 1700$
Main Use: Rate 4 Gaming, 3D modeling/rendering (3d max), Video Editing, game development engines.

General Usage (Web, Adobe Photoshop, autocad, 1080p playback, torrent).

Monitor Resolution: not required, going to use existing 1080P monitor.

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well:
Should run Unity3d/unreal very good. should run new games very well, not necessarily on max settings for future games in 2016\2017.

Looking to reuse any parts?:
No parts to be reused.

When will you build?: before the end of September if possible.

Will you be overclocking?: No.

Here's an example build:

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor ($374.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme4/3.1 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($228.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($147.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Toshiba Product Series:DT01ACA 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card ($605.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Fractal Design Define S ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1697.79
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-18 14:53 EST-0500

I don't know when you're planning to build your PC, but if it's more than a few weeks from now, prices will change and new parts will have launched by September 2016. You will probably be building something else.

My actual need is a new primary monitor, I'm going to rotate the Dell out to 'second monitor' status (and finally put to pasture my 15 year old Ezio /salute), so I was just cruising this thread for monitor suggestions on top of a new 980 I got recently.

Can you use a G-Sync monitor as primary and use a regular monitor as secondary? If not, I'm just going to buy another Dell or something, but my price point for a new primary monitor is pretty high so I was flirting with the idea of the latest bells and whistles, but I don't want to overpay if the UK is getting a better deal than the US on the same hardware.

Yeah it operates as usual. I have a 1080p TV and my monitor in tandem and they work fine.

It's not often we get a better deal than you guys!

Lucentto

Banned
Well, my plan to build a new computer is finally confirmed. Though I am completely ignorant on parts when it comes to PCs. What parts do you guys recommend for a build around ~$1000-1300?

I am planning to order all the parts from NCIX US or Microcenter since I can just get them to build it.

Yes, there are quite a few things you should change. The 840 Evo is discontinued and expensive, the newer and better 850 Evo is cheaper for example. Other parts like the 3TB hard drive and wifi adaptor are grossly overpriced.

For $1500, this is what I recommend:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($309.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($77.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($67.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX200 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Toshiba 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($81.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($44.99 @ Micro Center)
Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($29.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1513.65
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-18 14:08 EST-0500

Sure, it costs $30 more but you're getting far stronger performance, especially with that GTX 980 Ti. Everything else is roughly equivalent in terms of performance, except for some parts that have fewer features or are lesser performing but still more than adequate for your needs.
Awesome! Thanks. :)
Only thing I changed is the case. I liked my original pick lol.
It should be fine for video editing, yes?
Also, PCPartpicker says something about exceeding voltage. What's that about?

NotLiquid

So I got my new GPU and I'm ready to upgrade. I'm going from an MSi GTX 760 to an EVGA GTX 970.

Is there anything I need or should keep in mind before I make the change or do I just switch 'em out? I don't really have any MSi software installed that I utilized for my existing card. I read that apparently it's a good idea to uninstall Graphics Drivers.

TaterTots

Banned
Are Kingston SSD's any good? Specifically, this one [URL="http://http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Digital-SSDNow-SV300S37A-120G/dp/B00A1ZTZOG/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1450473239&sr=1-3&keywords=ssd"/http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Digital-SSDNow-SV300S37A-120G/dp/B00A1ZTZOG/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1450473239&sr=1-3&keywords=ssd[/URL]

JMTHEFOX

Are MSI and Gigabyte motherboards any good? Not saying I don't like ASRock, but I am leaning towards the MSI H81I since it got some positive reviews on PCPartPicker.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($174.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI H81I Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($62.99 @ Directron)
Memory: A-Data XPG V1.0 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($37.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 380 4GB Video Card ($204.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 130 Mini ITX Tower Case ($34.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($51.98 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN823N 802.11b/g/n USB 2.0 Wi-Fi Adapter ($13.77 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Logitech K400 Plus Wireless Mini Keyboard w/Touchpad ($24.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $656.67
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-18 19:07 EST-0500

le-seb

I'm in the process of building a new PC that I don't intend to use for gaming, and have been advised in this thread I'd made in OT to knock at this door anyway.

Before I describe what I expect from this new system, I think I should start by saying that my main "rig" is a neolithic (late 2007) Apple Mac Mini (Core2 T7200 @ 2.00GHz), that I've along the past years upgraded with a SSD and 4/3 GB RAM, and which has been running Linux for most of its life.
It's become a bit sluggish when browsing certain websites lately, generally drops a bunch of frames when playing 1080p HTML5 videos, but other than that still matches my very basic needs (also, I'm patient).

That being said, I think the time has definitely come to retire the old chap, and replace it with a beefier system that would allow me to finally edit the nice 1080p@50fps videos I take when I go paragliding from the comfort of my couch (I have to use my Asus notebook for the moment, which also lacks the processing power to do so quickly and efficiently).

So, I'm not really looking for the higher-performance-for-my-money machine here, but rather for a system that will suit these specifications (in order of preference):
1. Be energy efficient, because it'll most certainly be powered on at least 8 hours a day and drawing 50W when idling is just not an option,
2. Fit in a very compact tower case, because I want to hide it and my only option is to place it behind my A/V furniture which is only 44 cm / 17 in. high, and around 20 cm / 8 in. from the wall,
3. Have enough processing power to easily fulfil my video editing needs from today, and not feeling totally ridiculous in 5 years from now (my systems last me a while!),
4. Support for some standards I don't use today but may need in a year or two, like USB 3.1 or HDMI 2.0, would be a appreciated

Having discussed with good people from GAF on OT, done some investigations on hardware, features supported by the software I use, and balanced all that with the opinion of a friend who's regularly editing videos, here's the tentative build I've come to:
  • Case: Cooler Master Silencio 352 - Because it's the only one I've found that's compact enough. The fact it's cheap and appreciated from the people who picked is also nice.
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700 - Because 4 cores / 8 threads seems like a good balance, the fact it's last gen means it's more power efficient than its predecessor, and restricting to the 65W TDP version means it won't be too hard to cool down.
  • Radiator: BeQuiet! PureRock - Because it's the only one I've found with a 12 cm fan that could fit in the Silencio case (limited to 155 mm height.)
  • Motherboard: ASUS Z170M-Plus - Because it's cheap but features anything I'd like.
  • Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 32 GB (2x 16GB) DDR4 2400 MHz CL14 - Because I'm not sure I need it, but fuck it, I can.
  • GPU: (Gigabyte) GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2 GB - Because kdenlive (the video editing software I use) supports libMovit for hardware assisted rendering, whose author seems to think a GTX650 has enough power to render most combinations in 4K, and also relies on ffmpeg for video encoding/decoding tasks, which itself supports hardware acceleration.
  • Storage: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250 GB - Because 250 GB would probably be enough space to hold the system and working files, my NAS being in charge of long term storage of clips and videos.

This configuration would cost me 1175€, just for information.
But let's forget about the price for a moment and simply focus on my specifications and the ways to achieve them: I'd appreciate your feedback regarding possible flaws in my logic, weaknesses in my component choice, or better available options (but please justify them!) ...

manfestival

I got my new parts except for my CPU in the mail today! So excited but I cant freaking build it without the CPU. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

I have never held or dealt with a SSD before. I am blown away by its form. It is so small and light!

RGM79

Awesome! Thanks. :)
Only thing I changed is the case. I liked my original pick lol.
It should be fine for video editing, yes?
Also, PCPartpicker says something about exceeding voltage. What's that about?
The RAM you picked is 1.65V. Look for a 1.35-1.5v kit.
The voltage is fine. All high speed DDR3 RAM is around that voltage, I don't think I've seen many high speed low voltage kits if at all. For video encoding, the faster RAM can make a slight difference.

Are Kingston SSD's any good? Specifically, this one http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A1ZTZOG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Do not buy that SSD, it is a poor performer. It is cheap and still somewhat faster than a traditional hard drive, but you'd be better served by saving up for a better SSD from the likes of Samsung or Crucial.

Are MSI and Gigabyte motherboards any good? Not saying I don't like ASRock, but I am leaning towards the MSI H81I since it got some positive reviews on PCPartPicker.

Motherboard: MSI H81I Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($62.99 @ Directron)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.98 @ OutletPC)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($51.98 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN823N 802.11b/g/n USB 2.0 Wi-Fi Adapter ($13.77 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Logitech K400 Plus Wireless Mini Keyboard w/Touchpad ($24.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $656.67
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-18 19:07 EST-0500

Gigabyte motherboards are usually fine. The MSI H81I has a weird layout compared to other mITX motherboards. The CPU socket is located closer to the PCI-E slot and this may result in issues mounting large coolers. All of the internal I/O connectors are located along the edge of the motherboard opposite of the PCI-E slot, it may make cable routing difficult in some cases. Also, it's worth pointing out that on Newegg, the user reviews average out to 3/5 stars which is a bit worrying. The lowest rated reviews tend to have common complaints about the motherboard being dead on arrival or dying completely or partially after a few months.

I'm in the process of building a new PC that I don't intend to use for gaming, and have been advised in this thread I'd made in OT to knock at this door anyway.

Before I describe what I expect from this new system, I think I should start by saying that my main "rig" is a neolithic (late 2007) Apple Mac Mini (Core2 T7200 @ 2.00GHz), that I've along the past years upgraded with a SSD and 4/3 GB RAM, and which has been running Linux for most of its life.
It's become a bit sluggish when browsing certain websites lately, generally drops a bunch of frames when playing 1080p HTML5 videos, but other than that still matches my very basic needs (also, I'm patient).

That being said, I think the time has definitely come to retire the old chap, and replace it with a beefier system that would allow me to finally edit the nice 1080p@50fps videos I take when I go paragliding from the comfort of my couch (I have to use my Asus notebook for the moment, which also lacks the processing power to do so quickly and efficiently).

So, I'm not really looking for the higher-performance-for-my-money machine here, but rather for a system that will suit these specifications (in order of preference):
1. Be energy efficient, because it'll most certainly be powered on at least 8 hours a day and drawing 50W when idling is just not an option,
2. Fit in a very compact tower case, because I want to hide it and my only option is to place it behind my A/V furniture which is only 44 cm / 17 in. high, and around 20 cm / 8 in. from the wall,
3. Have enough processing power to easily fulfil my video editing needs from today, and not feeling totally ridiculous in 5 years from now (my systems last me a while!),
4. Support for some standards I don't use today but may need in a year or two, like USB 3.1 or HDMI 2.0, would be a appreciated

Having discussed with good people from GAF on OT, done some investigations on hardware, features supported by the software I use, and balanced all that with the opinion of a friend who's regularly editing videos, here's the tentative build I've come to:
  • Case: Cooler Master Silencio 352 - Because it's the only one I've found that's compact enough. The fact it's cheap and appreciated from the people who picked is also nice.
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700 - Because 4 cores / 8 threads seems like a good balance, the fact it's last gen means it's more power efficient than its predecessor, and restricting to the 65W TDP version means it won't be too hard to cool down.
  • Radiator: BeQuiet! PureRock - Because it's the only one I've found with a 12 cm fan that could fit in the Silencio case (limited to 155 mm height.)
  • Motherboard: ASUS Z170M-Plus - Because it's cheap but features anything I'd like.
  • Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 32 GB (2x 16GB) DDR4 2400 MHz CL14 - Because I'm not sure I need it, but fuck it, I can.
  • GPU: (Gigabyte) GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2 GB - Because kdenlive (the video editing software I use) supports libMovit for hardware assisted rendering, whose author seems to think a GTX650 has enough power to render most combinations in 4K, and also relies on ffmpeg for video encoding/decoding tasks, which itself supports hardware acceleration.
  • Storage: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250 GB - Because 250 GB would probably be enough space to hold the system and working files, my NAS being in charge of long term storage of clips and videos.

This configuration would cost me 1175€, just for information.
But let's forget about the price for a moment and simply focus on my specifications and the ways to achieve them: I'd appreciate your feedback regarding possible flaws in my logic, weaknesses in my component choice, or better available options (but please justify them!) ...

What country are you in? There are a few suggestions I could make.

Nanoxia is known for making silent PC cases and they have smaller products similar to the CM Silencio 352. Nanoxia hails from Germany, so the price might not be bad in the EU (it's somewhat pricey in North America).

I see you're planning for a Skylake based build. If you want to save money, consider the cheaper Haswell i7 4790 or Xeon E3-1231 with DDR3 RAM and a cheaper H81 or B85 motherboard instead. I don't know what prices are like in your country, but I am 99% certain that such parts will offer similar performance (within ~10%) but at a much lower cost. Those processors are all similar (quad core with hyperthreading), you can see an official comparison here.

As I understand it, even 4K video editing would not use up 16GB of RAM. You could start off with that much RAM at first and then add more if needed in the future.

JMTHEFOX

Gigabyte motherboards are usually fine. The MSI H81I has a weird layout compared to other mITX motherboards. The CPU socket is located closer to the PCI-E slot and this may result in issues mounting large coolers. All of the internal I/O connectors are located along the edge of the motherboard opposite of the PCI-E slot, it may make cable routing difficult in some cases. Also, it's worth pointing out that on Newegg, the user reviews average out to 3/5 stars which is a bit worrying. The lowest rated reviews tend to have common complaints about the motherboard being dead on arrival or dying completely or partially after a few months.

Well, Gigabyte it is. I chose the Gigabyte GA-H81N motherboard over the MSI H81I. The motherboard seems to have more positive reviews (at least on Amazon US).

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H81N Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($67.99 @ Directron)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($52.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $662.67
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-19 02:38 EST-0500

The list may be final for now.

RGM79

Well, Gigabyte it is. I chose the Gigabyte GA-H81N motherboard over the MSI H81I. The motherboard seems to have more positive reviews (at least on Amazon US).

Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($52.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $662.67
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-19 02:38 EST-0500

The list may be final for now.

Yeah, that Gigabyte motherboard seems better. It's also rated at 4.2 stars out of 5 after 19 reviews on Amazon. I also have some recommendations to update your parts list for slightly better pricing and parts.

Memory: A-Data XPG V1.0 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 380 4GB SOC Video Card ($193.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Cooler Master 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($55.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $651.66
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-19 03:37 EST-0500

The RAM, graphics card were changed for slightly lower priced models that are equal in performance. The PSU was replaced with a Cooler Master model that costs $3 more but you get 50 more watts and it's possibly slightly better made, both are manufactured by Channel Well Tech but the Cooler Master model is rated for operation at up to 40 degrees versus the Corsair model rated at 30 degrees. Alternatively you could get the EVGA B2 750 watt model for $57 which is even better in terms of build quality and offers even more wattage, but is a relatively larger/longer power supply and not as compact as the Corsair or Cooler Master options. Yes, you likely will never need that much wattage for this build, but it is nice to have in case you ever want to recycle the PSU into another build in the future and it is better from a price for quality and performance point of view.

JMTHEFOX

Yeah, that Gigabyte motherboard seems better. It's also rated at 4.2 stars out of 5 after 19 reviews on Amazon. I also have some recommendations to update your parts list for slightly better pricing and parts.

Memory: A-Data XPG V1.0 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 380 4GB SOC Video Card ($193.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Cooler Master 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($55.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $651.66
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-19 03:37 EST-0500

The RAM, graphics card were changed for slightly lower priced models that are equal in performance. The PSU was replaced with a Cooler Master model that costs $3 more but you get 50 more watts and it's possibly slightly better made, both are manufactured by Channel Well Tech but the Cooler Master model is rated for operation at up to 40 degrees versus the Corsair model rated at 30 degrees. Alternatively you could get the EVGA B2 750 watt model for $57 which is even better in terms of build quality and offers even more wattage, but is a relatively larger/longer power supply and not as compact as the Corsair or Cooler Master options. Yes, you likely will never need that much wattage for this build, but it is nice to have in case you ever want to recycle the PSU into another build in the future and it is better from a price for quality and performance point of view.

Ah, this list is so much better. Thank you so much for the suggestions!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom