• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kezen

Banned
What are the other parts that are in your PC?

Why do you say yes and than link to a review that would clearly indicate no?

It says this in the review :
AMD R9-390X - On your average system the card requires you to have a 550~600 Watt power supply unit.

His PSU might not cut it, better to play it safe and pave the way for future upgrades. High quality 650w PSUs can be found for about 100$USD.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Thinking of doing a 5820k build. Now that I'm working full time in Premiere and doing lots of other video crunching tasks, I think the 3570k is falling behind. I've found the CPU for just $300 which seems like a great price. I know x99 is pricier in general, though.

Planning to pick up CPU and motherboard here in the US while visiting and then transporting them back home in my luggage. Hoping they survive the trip.

100% usage thats very weird. Is gaming performance suffering? Possibly malware (bitcoin miner)?

Thereitis.gif

Ran MalwareBytes and it found a mining PUP :/ I honestly have no idea where it has come from. The only unscrupulous things I've done recently was trying to buy Battlefront through a proxy :/

Anyhow, back to normal now.
I know x99 is pricier in general, though.
It's not that much more than Skylake i7. There was maybe £40/50 difference went I built my 1150 build but you get a lot more of everything on X99.

We need 34-inch 4K G-Sync 21:9 aspect monitors. And we need them yesterday. If you have that... that will be the best thing you could ever get in your life. If you get this, you have won life. There won't be anything else. G-sync is a dealbreaker, 4k is a game changer that allows you turn off all those taxing Aliasing options. The sharpness almost eliminates jaggies in most games, and the 21:9 aspect ratio in the 34-inch variant basically takes up your entire field of vertical (and horizontal vision). It's absolutely perfect and amazingly immersive.

It's not 3d. it's not 240 hz (I cant tell the difference between 70hz and anything above. it doesn't seem visible to me). It's just this. But we need lower prices. We need to get them below 600 USD for a really good one.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
We need 34-inch 4K G-Sync 21:9 aspect monitors. And we need them yesterday. If you have that... that will be the best thing you could ever get in your life. If you get this, you have won life. There won't be anything else. G-sync is a dealbreaker, 4k is a game changer that allows you turn off all those taxing Aliasing options. The sharpness almost eliminates jaggies in most games, and the 21:9 aspect ratio in the 34-inch variant basically takes up your entire field of vertical (and horizontal vision). It's absolutely perfect and amazingly immersive.

It's not 3d. it's not 240 hz (I cant tell the difference between 70hz and anything above. it doesn't seem visible to me). It's just this. But we need lower prices. We need to get them below 600 USD for a really good one.
We need it in OLED. As long as it's LCD, well, it's not good enough.

Lucentto

Banned
How is this build? Anything I should change?

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K- $320
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 - $145
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 2X4GB DDR3 1600MHz- $42
Graphics: MSI GeForce GTX 970 TwinFrozr V 1140/1279MHZ - $332
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO Series MZ-75E250B/AM 250GB - $78
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB - $55
Power Supply: CoolerMaster V750 - $120
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 200R Mid Tower ATX - $58
Optical Drive: ASUS DRW-24F1ST 24X SATA DVD Writer Black - $24
Heatsink: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Direct Touch 4 Heatpipe Heatsink - $40

Total: $1214

I'm ordering all this from NCIXUS so they can build it. I plan on pulling the trigger on this today or tomorrow.

StuffRuff

So I want to join the 1440p club after managing to snag a 980ti for £350 in a recent Amazon sale.

Is there anything not bank breaking for 1440p G sync at the moment, anything to avoid?

Before I go nuts searching everything I can find for a solution (I did some searching, didn't notice anything), is there a known issue with the later/latest nvidia drivers and throttling on Windows 10? Quick example.

I play some XCOM, and of course it runs at a capped 60fps on a GTX970, then stop. I go back into the game a while later and notice frames in the 40s, and then see that the clock speed is at 400, rather than the boosted 1400-1500 speeds set in MSI Afterburner. Nothing I do seems to fix it, other than a restart. Same thing when I was playing some Witcher 3.

I set everything in the control panel for maximum performance over adaptive settings, and it's the same. I'll probably go ahead and reinstall drivers again, but I was getting worse performance with the latest drivers over 358.91, which runs Witcher 3 near perfectly for me.

manfestival

its amazing that I ordered parts with 4-7 day shipping through different retailers. The ones that used fedex and UPS arrived within like 2 days of it being shipped and the one retailer that used USPS 2 day shipping is taking almost 5 days to arrive

Firebrand

Monitor suggestions with IPS and decent refresh times / lack of ghosting? Looking at the ASUS VC239H at the moment as it's discounted. "5ms", too much?

Also, does 120Hz matter if I'm not likely to hit more than 60 FPS in games?

RGM79

I'm ordering all this from NCIXUS so they can build it. I plan on pulling the trigger on this today or tomorrow.

The motherboard, power supply, and heatsink are kinda expensive. Use PCPartPicker to check prices, remember that NCIX has a price matching policy, if someone else has the exact same product for less, you can usually get NCIX to lower the price. For example, the 212 Evo heatsink is good, but costs as low as $25 elsewhere. You should be able to find a good PSU like an EVGA B2/G2/GS 650~850 watt PSU for under $100 USD. And 8GB of RAM can be had for as little as $35, for ~$40 you should be able to find higher speed RAM at 2133MHz or 2400MHz.

Sorry, normally I'd do the entire parts list recommendation for you, but I'm busy today and need to head out.

LQX

Monitor suggestions with IPS and decent refresh times / lack of ghosting? Looking at the ASUS VC239H at the moment as it's discounted. "5ms", too much?

Also, does 120Hz matter if I'm not likely to hit more than 60 FPS in games?

Check out this HP 27xw 27-in IPS. It is 8ms GtG. I had the one before it, the XI so I was confident it would be great for gaming and it is. No ghosting or input lag I can discern at all after hours and hours of Black Ops 3 and Fallout 4.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TQQN4WU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Lucentto

Banned
The motherboard, power supply, and heatsink are kinda expensive. Use PCPartPicker to check prices, remember that NCIX has a price matching policy, if someone else has the exact same product for less, you can usually get NCIX to lower the price. For example, the 212 Evo heatsink is good, but costs as low as $25 elsewhere. You should be able to find a good PSU like an EVGA B2/G2/GS 650~850 watt PSU for under $100 USD. And 8GB of RAM can be had for as little as $35, for ~$40 you should be able to find higher speed RAM at 2133MHz or 2400MHz.

Sorry, normally I'd do the entire parts list recommendation for you, but I'm busy today and need to head out.

I see, thanks for taking the time to break it down for me. If you have the time, could you recommend me a few reliable motherboards for my build? I am new to this and had to spend some time just picking out that one.

Skii

For some reason, The Witcher 3 is crashing on me and I don't know why. I've already clean installed Nvidia drivers so it can't be that. Has the new update introduced a bug that crashes the game? I also think it's unlikely that it's my GPU because I played GTA V for about an hour today with no crash.

For some reason, The Witcher 3 is crashing on me and I don't know why. I've already clean installed Nvidia drivers so it can't be that. Has the new update introduced a bug that crashes the game? I also think it's unlikely that it's my GPU because I played GTA V for about an hour today with no crash.

I haven't had any problems but I got an AMD card.

Are you overclocking anything?

If all else fails, try reinstalling the witcher.

le-seb

What country are you in? There are a few suggestions I could make.

Nanoxia is known for making silent PC cases and they have smaller products similar to the CM Silencio 352. Nanoxia hails from Germany, so the price might not be bad in the EU (it's somewhat pricey in North America).

I see you're planning for a Skylake based build. If you want to save money, consider the cheaper Haswell i7 4790 or Xeon E3-1231 with DDR3 RAM and a cheaper H81 or B85 motherboard instead. I don't know what prices are like in your country, but I am 99% certain that such parts will offer similar performance (within ~10%) but at a much lower cost. Those processors are all similar (quad core with hyperthreading), you can see an official comparison here.

As I understand it, even 4K video editing would not use up 16GB of RAM. You could start off with that much RAM at first and then add more if needed in the future.
Thanks for your feedback.

The Nanoxia mini-tower case indeed looks very nice, but it seems impossible to find in France.
It's pretty cheap in Germany (found the Deep Silence 4 for 65€), but shipping costs will probably be half the cost and I'm afraid something could go wrong. Also, the case will be hidden behind a cabinet, so the better look isn't a sufficient reason for me to bother with getting one (yes, there's better cable management, too, but the use of a modular PSU should save me some hassle.)

Regarding your other options, yes they're almost 25% less expensive, but I'll have to pay back these immediate savings in the mid/long term, due to their higher power consumption. So I definitely prefer to build a Skylake system from the start.

As a Firefox user and GAF's Pics that makes you laugh thread subscriber, I'd say you never have enough RAM.
But yeah, you're right, I can just start with 16 GB and see how it goes from there, adding more RAM in a few years if I feel the need for it, and benefit from lower prices.

I went to my local computer shop today to gather more options, and that's what I think I'll pull the trigger on:
  • Case : CM Silencio 352
  • Motherboard : MSI H170M PRO-VHD
  • CPU : Intel Core i7 6700
  • Heatsink : BeQuiet Pure Rock
  • RAM : Crucial 2x8GB DDR4 2400 MHz
  • GPU : MSI GTX750 Ti 2GB
  • SSD : Samsung EVO850 250GB
  • PSU : BeQuiet 530W Pure Power L8-CM
  • KB/M : Logitech Wireless Combo MK520
Total cost: 1089€

I'll add a BD drive that's unused on my HP Microserver, and once I'm done with decommissioning the Mini, its 120GB SSD will join the party.

Are you playing through the GOG Galaxy client? If so, go into More/Configure and uncheck 'Game Overlay'.

Skii

I haven't had any problems but I got an AMD card.

Are you overclocking anything?

If all else fails, try reinstalling the witcher.

I think the GPU is overclocked. It's an MSI GTX 970.

Are you playing through the GOG Galaxy client? If so, go into More/Configure and uncheck 'Game Overlay'.

Yeah I am using GOG galaxy client. What does "game overlay" even do? I'm guessing it's known to crash the game?

RGM79

What is the best brand for a 970? Is a Gigabyte windforce good? I don't want any coil whine or over heating

What country are you in? It's hard to go wrong with most GTX 970 cards. Each brand has their own take on the GTX 970, with varying benefits and drawbacks. Coil whine isn't a problem that is specific to any brand, it's a matter of luck if you get a graphics card with poor coil whine. Overheating usually isn't a problem, the GTX 970 doesn't produce a lot of heat for the amount performance it gives compared to other graphics cards in the same price range.

The most basic and usually cheapest GTX 970 models EVGA's ACX2.0 and ACX2.0+ models tend to be the most compact and will fit in most cases. Asus Strix and MSI Gaming 4G are somewhat larger and taller, but should still also still fit in most cases. The slightly larger coolers may make them better for overclocking. Gigabyte Windforce and G1 Gaming have triple fan coolers which are considered fairly great at cooling, but can also be somewhat loud.

Thanks for your feedback.

The Nanoxia mini-tower case indeed looks very nice, but it seems impossible to find in France.
It's pretty cheap in Germany (found the Deep Silence 4 for 65€), but shipping costs will probably be half the cost and I'm afraid something could go wrong. Also, the case will be hidden behind a cabinet, so the better look isn't a sufficient reason for me to bother with getting one (yes, there's better cable management, too, but the use of a modular PSU should save me some hassle.)

Regarding your other options, yes they're almost 25% less expensive, but I'll have to pay back these immediate savings in the mid/long term, due to their higher power consumption. So I definitely prefer to build a Skylake system from the start.

As a Firefox user and GAF's Pics that makes you laugh thread subscriber, I'd say you never have enough RAM.
But yeah, you're right, I can just start with 16 GB and see how it goes from there, adding more RAM in a few years if I feel the need for it, and benefit from lower prices.

I went to my local computer shop today to gather more options, and that's what I think I'll pull the trigger on:
  • Case : CM Silencio 352
  • Motherboard : MSI H170M PRO-VHD
  • CPU : Intel Core i7 6700
  • Heatsink : BeQuiet Pure Rock
  • RAM : Crucial 2x8GB DDR4 2400 MHz
  • GPU : MSI GTX750 Ti 2GB
  • SSD : Samsung EVO850 250GB
  • PSU : BeQuiet 530W Pure Power L8-CM
  • KB/M : Logitech Wireless Combo MK520
Total cost: 1089€

I'll add a BD drive that's unused on my HP Microserver, and once I'm done with decommissioning the Mini, its 120GB SSD will join the party.

TDP isn't an exact indicator of energy consumption, it's more accurate as an indicator of how much heat you should expect the processor to produce. According to these results by Tom's Hardware and Anandtech, Skylake processors consume more power in the tests than their Haswell equivalents do.

I think the GPU is overclocked. It's an MSI GTX 970.

Yeah I am using GOG galaxy client. What does "game overlay" even do? I'm guessing it's known to crash the game?

Eventually they'll have an interface like Steam (shift-tab features), but right now it's causing issues. I mean how long does it take to have a built-in screenshot feature? :-/

RGM79

I finally had time to take a look and optimize your parts list. This is what I recommend:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($39.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($82.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($38.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($77.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($319.98 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSC0 DVD/CD Writer ($23.98 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1083.88
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-19 22:31 EST-0500

Performance wise, it is nearly identical to your parts list but costs $130 less. The motherboard is a downgrade in that it has fewer features, but it won't affect gaming performance, perhaps just overclocking. If you don't mind checking prices and getting most of the items pricematched, you can save even more:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($309.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($81.45 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($38.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($314.99 @ Micro Center)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($47.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSC0 DVD/CD Writer ($13.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1020.24
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-19 22:33 EST-0500

If pricematched, the build will only cost $1020.

Jharp

Getting ready to order my system, hopefully this week. I need to make sure with you guys that I don't need to be concerned about any compatibility issues and that the Cooler Master 212 will be enough for the i7-4790K.

PC Part Picker is noting a voltage concern with the 2400 RAM, so I might downgrade that.

https://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/

Also keep in mind, I already own a case, power supply, and SSD.

Getting ready to order my system, hopefully this week. I need to make sure with you guys that I don't need to be concerned about any compatibility issues and that the Cooler Master 212 will be enough for the i7-4790K.

PC Part Picker is noting a voltage concern with the 2400 RAM, so I might downgrade that.

https://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/

Also keep in mind, I already own a case, power supply, and SSD.

I just put the Evo 212 on my i7-5820k and it's keeping it nice and cool, so you shouldn't have any worries there.

RGM79

50% would be a huge disappointment to me. I would want double the performance of my 980 Ti just to get close to 60 fps all the time in 4K.

The burn-in is going to be glorious you mean. There's a reason why no one ever tried to make plasma monitors.

Wasn't the jump from Kepler to Maxwell's flagship only about 40~50% better? It's a bit unrealistic to expect 100% improvement.

And as far as I know, it's supposedly not cost-effective to make plasma TVs smaller than a certain size for some reason. What reason are you referring to?

Jharp

Updated my build with slower ram to eliminate any voltage incompatibilities. Let me know if anything strikes you as worrisome, GAF.

Wasn't the jump from Kepler to Maxwell's flagship only about 40~50% better? It's a bit unrealistic to expect 100% improvement.

I don't know how realistic or unrealistic any expectation is with a new GPU and memory architecture at the same time. I want 100% because it's my own personal desire.

And as far as I know, it's supposedly not cost-effective to make plasma TVs smaller than a certain size for some reason. What reason are you referring to?

Burn-in.

50% would be a huge disappointment to me. I would want double the performance of my 980 Ti just to get close to 60 fps all the time in 4K.

Titan -> Titan X was like a 50-80% boost depending on specific benchmark, so theoretically it could get close to a 100% boost. I'm just being pessimistic because it's coming a mere one year later (according to rumours) and it feels like too much performance increase too soon. I'm also somewhat skeptical of the benefits that HBM will actually bring in the wake of the Fury X. Like it's an improvement, but not a magical one.

I'm torn, I'm building a new PC and one of my friends who helped me build my first rig is telling me to replace the GTX 960 in my build for a R9 380X, he says the little extra $ will be get me better performance and a more future proof card. Thoughts?

Josman

What country are you in? It's hard to go wrong with most GTX 970 cards. Each brand has their own take on the GTX 970, with varying benefits and drawbacks. Coil whine isn't a problem that is specific to any brand, it's a matter of luck if you get a graphics card with poor coil whine. Overheating usually isn't a problem, the GTX 970 doesn't produce a lot of heat for the amount performance it gives compared to other graphics cards in the same price range.

The most basic and usually cheapest GTX 970 models EVGA's ACX2.0 and ACX2.0+ models tend to be the most compact and will fit in most cases. Asus Strix and MSI Gaming 4G are somewhat larger and taller, but should still also still fit in most cases. The slightly larger coolers may make them better for overclocking. Gigabyte Windforce and G1 Gaming have triple fan coolers which are considered fairly great at cooling, but can also be somewhat loud.

I'm in Mexico, buying from amazon.com.mx, 970 Gigabyte Windforce is the cheapest option so I will just go for that, waiting for Pascal would be eternal otherwise, and since a 970 is good enough for VR I think I can stay with this for another gen.

Is there a reason you don't want to do that? The R9 380X is a fair bit stronger than a GTX 960.

Mind posting your parts list?
Well, I'm not going to lie, I prefer Nividia's software to AMD's. Also, how credible is that benchmark? Other places I have checked out say that the difference in the cards is not as much as large as that graph is showing. Also the 380X apparently runs a lot hotter than the 960.

-Intel Core i5-4460 Haswell Quad-Core 3.2 GHz
-ASRock H97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX
-Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866
-XFX Radeon R9 380X 4GB 256-Bit DDR5
-WD BLUE 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache Internal Hard Drive
-Thermaltake 650W Power Supply 80 PLUS Bronze Certified
-NZXT Source 220 Black ATX Mid Tower
-Microsoft Windows 10 Home - 64-bit

Titan -> Titan X was like a 50-80% boost depending on specific benchmark, so theoretically it could get close to a 100% boost. I'm just being pessimistic because it's coming a mere one year later (according to rumours) and it feels like too much performance increase too soon. I'm also somewhat skeptical of the benefits that HBM will actually bring in the wake of the Fury X. Like it's an improvement, but not a magical one.

Well, the Fury X is heavily limited by the fact that it's based on a 5-year old GPU architecture (GCN). They took 4 GCN modules and taped them together and the result was Fiji. The purpose of HBM is to bring vast swathes of memory bandwidth between GPU and VRAM but if you're only working with 64 ROPs like Fiji is then you're RIP. Even if you were to quadruple the Fury X's bandwidth, it would still bottleneck at the 64 ROPs. GCN is just way too old at this point and with all of AMD's resources currently invested in development of Zen and K12, I really wonder if Arctic Islands will be a new architecture or not.

The 980 Ti also frequently outperforms the Fury X because even though it has 2/3 the memory bandwidth it incorporates much more advanced compression techniques to optimally utilize the bandwidth it has. Despite this, it's easy to see how bandwidth-starved Maxwell is. Try just overclocking only the GPU and see piddly performance gains and then try overclocking only the memory and see huge performance gains. If you put HBM on Maxwell right now you would see a dramatic benefit, and that's not even the new Pascal architecture.

I finally had time to take a look and optimize your parts list. This is what I recommend:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($39.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($82.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($319.98 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSC0 DVD/CD Writer ($23.98 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1083.88
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-19 22:31 EST-0500

Performance wise, it is nearly identical to your parts list but costs $130 less. The motherboard is a downgrade in that it has fewer features, but it won't affect gaming performance, perhaps just overclocking. If you don't mind checking prices and getting most of the items pricematched, you can save even more:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($309.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($81.45 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($314.99 @ Micro Center)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($47.99 @ Micro Center)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSC0 DVD/CD Writer ($13.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1020.24
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-19 22:33 EST-0500

If pricematched, the build will only cost $1020.
Is the EVGA 970 FTW+ not worth the extra cost?
I plan on picking up a 970 as well.
http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=14-487-090

RGM79

Well, I'm not going to lie, I prefer Nividia's software to AMD's. Also, how credible is that benchmark? Other places I have checked out say that the difference in the cards is not as much as large as that graph is showing. Also the 380X apparently runs a lot hotter than the 960.

-Intel Core i5-4460 Haswell Quad-Core 3.2 GHz
-ASRock H97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX
-Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866
-XFX Radeon R9 380X 4GB 256-Bit DDR5
-WD BLUE 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache Internal Hard Drive
-Thermaltake 650W Power Supply 80 PLUS Bronze Certified
-NZXT Source 220 Black ATX Mid Tower
-Microsoft Windows 10 Home - 64-bit
I find that TechPowerUp is usually fine, they're usually one of the few sites to provide benchmarks. Not all places test games with the same settings so that could be throwing it off, but checking with Anandtech seems to be support TechPowerUp's results. The results aren't the same, but they seem proportional. What other places have you looked at for benchmarks, and which games are you looking at specifically?

Yes, the R9 380X can run hotter than the GTX 960, but not uncomfortably so. A decent cooler will keep it at the 70 degree range or even less, according to the temperature results from TPU and Anandtech.

As for your build.. where are you buying the parts and how much do they cost? Which power supply and motherboard are you getting exactly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom