• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

inner-G

Banned
How crazy/dumb would I be to grab a Dell XPS 8900 with i7 6700 and drop in a 970?

I have an old Corsair TX 650 I can use, so it seems like it would be pretty easy and relatively cheap. I don't have interest in overclocking, that i7 runs at 4.0 anyway.

RGM79

Currently, I'm deciding between:

I only wanted to spend about $1500, and I'm a bit over budget with both builds due to several components rising in price.

Other than deciding between Haswell and Skylake, I'm trying to decide whether or not to drop the 980 ti for a 970.

You can go with some cost cutting parts to make it all fit within your budget. Performance-wise there's nothing wrong with going with a less expensive CPU cooler, motherboard, and bronze power supply.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($329.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H5 Universal 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($46.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($88.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($71.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($149.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card ($599.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair Air 540 ATX Mid Tower Case ($129.79 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($74.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1492.60
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-04 18:22 EST-0500

NCIX has a website for American users, it's NCIXUS.com. You shouldn't have any issues ordering from them. Here's their $50 assembly option.

Edit: I'm trying to put together a NCIXUS parts list for you, but one of the bad things about them is the parts availability and weird pricing. They want $90 for 2x4GB of DDR4.. it's absurd.
Awesome, thanks for your help! I'll check to see if this works for him :]

As for the installation of Windows, that's all on him, correct? I'm sure it's a dumb question, but it's not just pre-installed huh? lol

I can't find that exact model number for some reason, but by my calculations, it does 228 watts on the 12V rails, but only if both rails are combined. Since they're split into two, you'd have to be careful to balance the load if you need to use any power cable adaptors.

Again, thank you very much. I'll keep it in mind. I found the 350W Seasonic TFX PSU earlier as well and was a bit hesitant, because it's already EOL without a replacement and came out in 2011. If it turns out that my current PSU isn't enough for the i3 and 950, I'll definitely try it that way.

RGM79

Awesome, thanks for your help! I'll check to see if this works for him :]

As for the installation of Windows, that's all on him, correct? I'm sure it's a dumb question, but it's not just pre-installed huh? lol

If you order Windows along with the rest of the parts from NCIX, they will also install Windows as part of the PC assembly and testing. It says they do Windows configuration and installation on the page for the assembly option. Otherwise, he could install Windows himself. It's not too hard and is basically guided as long as he can start up the installer.

How crazy/dumb would I be to grab a Dell XPS 8900 with i7 6700 and drop in a 970?

I have an old Corsair TX 650 I can use, so it seems like it would be pretty easy and relatively cheap. I don't have interest in overclocking, that i7 runs at 4.0 anyway.

Depends on how much it costs.

kennah

It's a 3.4 that will turbo one core to 4.0. Only the 6700k (and 4790k) run at 4.0 natively on all cores.

Vacant

Neo Member
You can go with some cost cutting parts to make it all fit within your budget. Performance-wise there's nothing wrong with going with a less expensive CPU cooler, motherboard, and bronze power supply.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($329.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H5 Universal 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($46.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($88.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($71.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($149.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card ($599.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair Air 540 ATX Mid Tower Case ($129.79 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($74.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1492.60
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-04 18:22 EST-0500

Thanks. It's a tough call deciding on whether or not the $200 price difference is worth going with inferior parts. $599 for the Gigabyte 980ti is a good price, but I need to do a bit of research first. From what it sounded like MSI, ASUS and EVGA were all very comparable. I'm not exactly sure where Gigabyte falls on that list.

Hyun Sai

Soooo...

Would like some advice on upgrading a config.

Motherboard : ASROCK H81M-ITX
Graphic card : GTX 770
Processor : i5-4440
Ram : 8G
Alim : 550W

What is possible here with the processor and graphic card ?

Thanks.

RGM79

Soooo...

Would like some advice on upgrading a config.

Motherboard : ASROCK H81M-ITX
Graphic card : GTX 770
Processor : i5-4440
Ram : 8G
Alim : 550W

What is possible here with the processor and graphic card ?

Thanks.
What games do you play and what case do you have? The processor is still quite good and shouldn't be a bottleneck for most situations. I suppose a graphics card upgrade is in order, depending on how much you can spend.

Hindl

The Corsair CX500M only does ~456 watts on the 12V rail, but it should be more than enough for your PC.

What model of wireless router are you using? It's probably wireless N, but it's a little better to know so we can recommend you something that isn't unnecessarily expensive and matches the feature/speed of your router well.

I'm actually using the ASUS RT-AC68U if that helps:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FB45SI4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I had a USB Wireless adapter, and when it worked I was getting 30-50 mbps down, but it's just not consistent enough so I'm thinking of a wireless card

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Damn, ASUS really did stuff up here :(. Have you resorted to maybe using the default audio drivers? I read that the audio issues are caused by ithe SupremeFX drivers.
The issue remains consistent with and without the drivers.

I think it's interference, but I don't know how to address that.

Hyun Sai

What games do you play and what case do you have? The processor is still quite good and shouldn't be a bottleneck for most situations. I suppose a graphics card upgrade is in order, depending on how much you can spend.

Well, I was concerned about the recommended specs of SFV, but players of the Beta said I would be fine.

Just in case, this is my case :

http://www.fractal-design.com/home/product/cases/node-series/node-304-black

If I change the graphic card, I don't intend to spend more than 500$ on it.

Hey guys im at a standstill, I can't pick between the R9 390 and GTX 970. How's the 390? Im aware that the 970 is very popular but I have no idea how the 390 is.

Hey guys im at a standstill, I can't pick between the R9 390 and GTX 970. How's the 390? Im aware that the 970 is very popular but I have no idea how the 390 is.

I don't have any complaints with my 390 (MSI version), its cooling well (Don't believe I've seen above 65, never above 70 for sure @ 100%), and performance is killer. If I had another fan (or a better case... or both) I'd probably be running even cooler.

If I owned any recent releases I'd share their performance with you, but I'm enjoying BF4 on ultra locked @ 60, as well as MGSV on ultra locked @ 60. Both @ 1080p

Exuro

is $275 for a 4790k a good deal? Been wanting to upgrade my 920 for a while now and skylake doesn't seem to be available/much of an upgrade and with this I could still use my old ram.

RGM79

I'm actually using the ASUS RT-AC68U if that helps:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FB45SI4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I had a USB Wireless adapter, and when it worked I was getting 30-50 mbps down, but it's just not consistent enough so I'm thinking of a wireless card
Oh, in that case then this Gigabyte model is quite nice for a "cheap" wifi adaptor.

Well, I was concerned about the recommended specs of SFV, but players of the Beta said I would be fine.

Just in case, this is my case :

http://www.fractal-design.com/home/product/cases/node-series/node-304-black

If I change the graphic card, I don't intend to spend more than 500$ on it.
Given your budget and compact case, I'd recommend a GTX 970.

D

Deleted member 18827

Unconfirmed Member
So I got an old 7970 off a friend but cannot get the second output working. Main out is DVI, second through HDMI. The second output works on boot(or in safe mode) but as soon as the drivers kick in the second screen vanishes and I cant detect it. I've tried a bunch of different catayst drivers and the new crimson. Is there a basic setting I'm missing or something?

So I posted a thread about this the other day that got no views. I have this issue with my monitor where it has columns of vertical scrolling pixels. It's done this for about two years now, but the problem has been getting worse. The columns started out faint, but now they are more noticeable, and there are more columns. Here's a video:

https://vimeo.com/150536501

It's especially noticeable on grey backgrounds. I'm using a mid-2010 iMac as a monitor (receiving video from my windows PC HDMI -> mini-displayport). The problem occurs when using the iMac normally as a Mac OS X machine. I've tried tons of google searches over the years, but never found anyone else having a similar issue with any monitor. I'm guessing it means either the monitor is dying or the video card in the iMac is dying, but I'm really not sure. I'm mostly curious about why this is occurring in the first place, it seems really weird.

Robso

So, this is merely a possibility. I've pondered an upgrade for a short time, however I'm in no rush if the advice is to wait for newer cards or whatever to come out.

What would I be needing to upgrade the following to a PC capable of at least 1080p/60FPS and High settings on current games? Or maybe 120hz if I decide to buy a monitor capable of that?

Current:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470.
GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 650.
Motherboard: Asus B75M-PLUS
Ram: 8gb.
PSU: 500W.

My current gaming is done on consoles and I'm happy with what they provide, but of course 1080p/60FPS would be a preference.

Still, I'm in two minds. I don't want to render those systems useless and barely use them outside of an exclusive every now and then and FIFA and PES (although I do still have multi platform games unplayed on them still), but then 1080p/60FPS really appeals to me (although I guess it does everyone lol). Also, whilst I don't buy games on release on console, PC pre order prices can be so cheap which appeals. In general there's tons of games at bargain prices on PC which is a huge plus. Do the PC version of games generally launch in a better shape than console versions?

RGM79

Thanks. Any brand is good ? MSI, Asus, Gigabytes etc...

How large is your power supply in the Node 304 case? Will it interfere with the graphics card? The Node 304's product page mentions that if the PSU is over 160mm long it will interfere with the GPU.

Assuming no physical issues fitting a graphics card, then I recommend the EVGA GTX 970 SSC for $320 after $30 rebate, or the Asus GTX 970 Strix for $318 after $20 rebate. The EVGA model sports a higher clock speed out of the box, but the Asus Strix has a slightly larger cooler. There's not a huge world of difference between the two, get whichever one you can find or prefer.

So I got an old 7970 off a friend but cannot get the second output working. Main out is DVI, second through HDMI. The second output works on boot(or in safe mode) but as soon as the drivers kick in the second screen vanishes and I cant detect it. I've tried a bunch of different catayst drivers and the new crimson. Is there a basic setting I'm missing or something?

When you say the second output works, what do you see? Is it a mirror image of the output to the DVI monitor? Does pressing Win+P to try mirror or extended monitor view change anything?

So I posted a thread about this the other day that got no views. I have this issue with my monitor where it has columns of vertical scrolling pixels. It's done this for about two years now, but the problem has been getting worse. The columns started out faint, but now they are more noticeable, and there are more columns. Here's a video:

https://vimeo.com/150536501

It's especially noticeable on grey backgrounds. I'm using a mid-2010 iMac as a monitor (receiving video from my windows PC HDMI -> mini-displayport). The problem occurs when using the iMac normally as a Mac OS X machine. I've tried tons of google searches over the years, but never found anyone else having a similar issue with any monitor. I'm guessing it means either the monitor is dying or the video card in the iMac is dying, but I'm really not sure. I'm mostly curious about why this is occurring in the first place, it seems really weird.

Wait, I'm not sure if I understand you correctly, but does this happen only when you use the iMac normally or only as a monitor? If it's just the former then that means the iMac's video is going bad. If it does that while acting as a monitor, then I suspect the iMac display itself.

So, this is merely a possibility. I've pondered an upgrade for a short time, however I'm in no rush if the advice is to wait for newer cards or whatever to come out.

What would I be needing to upgrade the following to a PC capable of at least 1080p/60FPS and High settings on current games? Or maybe 120hz if I decide to buy a monitor capable of that?

Current:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470.
GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 650.
Motherboard: Asus B75M-PLUS
Ram: 8gb.
PSU: 500W.

My current gaming is done on consoles and I'm happy with what they provide, but of course 1080p/60FPS would be a preference.

Still, I'm in two minds. I don't want to render those systems useless and barely use them outside of an exclusive every now and then and FIFA and PES (although I do still have multi platform games unplayed on them still), but then 1080p/60FPS really appeals to me (although I guess it does everyone lol). Also, whilst I don't buy games on release on console, PC pre order prices can be so cheap which appeals. In general there's tons of games at bargain prices on PC which is a huge plus. Do the PC version of games generally launch in a better shape than console versions?

Your processor is still kinda alright, but you could use a graphics card upgrade. How much you need to spend to reach 60FPS depends on what sort of graphics quality settings you'll want to play at, as well as what sort of games you want to play. A GTX 970 or R9 390 graphics card is recommended if you want to play most of the latest games at high-ish to ultra graphics settings at 1080p and 60FPS. If you don't mind playing those games at medium to high settings, then a GTX 960 or R9 380/380X will do just fine. Game performance and requirements will vary by the game, of course.

PC ports vary. Some like GTAV and MGSV:TPP are excellent, while others like Batman Arkham Knight are just awful. Other games like Just Cause 3 have their share of issues on all platforms, but are still mostly playable. You do need to look at each game on a game-by-game basis when it comes to playability, polish, and optimization.

So, my PC is several years old and nowadays I am happy if I can run latest AAA games with 30 fps. So, I need an upgrade. I can re-use almost everything I have: I'm satisfied with my keyboard, mouse, displays, hard-drives (I have an SSD + normal drive), I have a power supply that can support the new components etc.

The problem I'm having is choosing between GTX 970 and GTX 980 Ti.

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($419.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Z170 PRO GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($147.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($91.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card ($348.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1008.95
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-05 03:37 EST-0500

GTX 980 Ti is almost double the price of GTX 970 and I'm wondering if the price difference is worth it. Or is one of the ATI cards an alternative? For reference, I'm aiming for a PC where I can reasonably expect the 60fps 1080p everything maxed -experience for next several years. Also, I intend to use Oculus or some other kind of VR.

I could pay the extra 300e for 980 Ti, but if it provides no tangible benefits then I'd rather use that money for something else.

ISee

Just wondering, why the non-overclocking processor with the Z series motherboard? I guess the case could be made that a Z170 motherboard would be a better fit for a future upgrade to an overclockable K series processor, but for office and light gaming work, the i3 should be more than adequate. And there's got to be better power supplies than a Corsair CX model. Here, this build is better for the money:

Because the motherboard is just 10 bucks more expensive, it supports faster ddr4 ram up to 3200 which can help in cpu bottlenecked gaming situations and might be useful in the future if he ever decides to upgrade to 16gb. It also allows him to upgrade to a faster k model i5/i7 and to overclock it, if he wishes fore more cpu power in let's say a year from now.
Picking a slightly better mainboard for future upgrade reasons mostly pays off in my experience, especially if the price difference is that low..
The rest, yes better picks, but I'd still recommend the z170 board.

spons

Gold Member
Decided on getting the GTX 960 today, but I'm still wondering if getting 4 GB of RAM is worth it, partly because I'm undecided on whether to SLI the thing a year down the line (provided I can get a proper second GTX 960 then). I know you can't add up RAM so I'm wondering: should I pay the extra buck for more RAM than I might need at this very moment? I have the money, but buying an extra game or two is also tempting. Current CPU is an i5 4590 and I'll be playing on 1080p. I don't even know whether the extra power for a second GPU is worth it at that resolution.

dude

dude
So, I've waited on my new PC for more than a year now, but as luck would have it I really need to buy it right now for work reasons and this comes at a bad time because I'm a little lower on money than I expected.

I just have one question for you fine folks - It seems that the only PSU brand I can easily find in my country is Seasonic... Are they alright? Anything I should know about buying a PSU from them?

Thanks.

So, my PC is several years old and nowadays I am happy if I can run latest AAA games with 30 fps. So, I need an upgrade. I can re-use almost everything I have: I'm satisfied with my keyboard, mouse, displays, hard-drives (I have an SSD + normal drive), I have a power supply that can support the new components etc.

Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($91.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card ($348.99 @ SuperBiiz)

GTX 980 Ti is almost double the price of GTX 970 and I'm wondering if the price difference is worth it. Or is one of the ATI cards an alternative? For reference, I'm aiming for a PC where I can reasonably expect the 60fps 1080p everything maxed -experience for next several years. Also, I intend to use Oculus or some other kind of VR.

I could pay the extra 300e for 980 Ti, but if it provides no tangible benefits then I'd rather use that money for something else.

Check out the 3dmark results in this thread.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1166048

or this one... there are two running concurrently right now, lol.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1166067

Pay attention to the graphics score as the combined score and physics scores are greatly affected by the CPU.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I just have one question for you fine folks - It seems that the only PSU brand I can easily find in my country is Seasonic... Are they alright? Anything I should know about buying a PSU from them?

Seasonic are very highly regarded.

ISee

Decided on getting the GTX 960 today, but I'm still wondering if getting 4 GB of RAM is worth it, partly because I'm undecided on whether to SLI the thing a year down the line (provided I can get a proper second GTX 960 then). I know you can't add up RAM so I'm wondering: should I pay the extra buck for more RAM than I might need at this very moment? I have the money, but buying an extra game or two is also tempting. Current CPU is an i5 4590 and I'll be playing on 1080p. I don't even know whether the extra power for a second GPU is worth it at that resolution.

Short answer: yes go for 4gb you'll definitely need it.
Also it's hard to recommend sli right now (especially for mid range gaming pcs). Granted it might get much better with dx12, but the current situation isn't very reassuring. A 220$ single Pascal GPU might be the better planned pick up.

Just a tip:
You should also look into the r9 380x and read some reviews, it might be the better suited card for your budget. (Only price segment where I recommend amd over nvidia tbh).
Code:
[IMG]http://abload.de/img/r80x1fms8t.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://abload.de/img/r80x3tlsy3.jpg[/IMG]

I managed to solve my WLAN issues and returned the ac router I got, so that means I now have some dough in my pockets to finally upgrade my gaming PC. If PC GAF would give me advice on what really needs upgrading and in what order, I'd be really happy.

What I currently have is below.

Zalman Z3 Plus Mid Tower Case
High Power ECO 500W PSU
ASUS M5A97 R2.0 Mainboard
AMD FX-6100 CPU (@3.6GHz)
Xigmatek Apache-III Cooler
2x4GB G.Skill DDR3-1333 CL9 RAM
Sapphire Radeon HD 7770 Ghz Edition
1TB Western Digital Blue HDD

I'm currently considering upgrading my GPU and possibly getting a small SSD as a system drive but I may have my priorities wrong here.

Jimrpg

Decide if you want to have G-Sync (NVidia) or Freesync (AMD) compatible as an option for your monitor if you can't decide between the two cards.

GTX 970 comes with Rise of the Tomb Raider too.

RGM79

Because the motherboard is just 10 bucks more expensive, it supports faster ddr4 ram up to 3200 which can help in cpu bottleneck situations and might be useful in the future if he ever decides to upgrade to 16gb. It also allows him to upgrade to a faster k model i5/i7 in the future and to overclock it, if he wishes fore more cpu power in let's say a year from now.
Picking a slightly better mainboard for future upgrade reasons mostly pays off in my experience.
The rest, yes better picks, but I'd still recommend the z170 board.

Yeah, that makes sense. I totally missed out on the RAM and cost of that motherboard.

Saving up for a GTX 970 is a whole lot better than SLI GTX 960. Techspot recently ran an article claiming 2GB vs 4GB of VRAM for the GTX 960 and R9 380 doesn't make that much of a difference. That said I'd still pay the little extra for the peace of mind and the benefit of 4GB VRAM in a few games, so I'd recommend a graphics card with 4GB.

So, I've waited on my new PC for more than a year now, but as luck would have it I really need to buy it right now for work reasons and this comes at a bad time because I'm a little lower on money than I expected.

Thanks.

It's hard to go wrong with Seasonic. Excellent reviews and quality across their entire product line.

I'd recommend other parts if possible, those aren't the best for price-to-performance right now. The i7 6700K is at a very high price due to lack of supply, $420 is a hard buy for something that's supposed to have a $350 MSRP. It's even more expensive than the higher end hexa core i7 5820K at $375. I have that Asus motherboard and it's kind of a disappointment. Stability issues with my CPU are not fun. Reviews are painting a pretty bad picture if you look at the Newegg user reviews for that motherboard. I recommend higher speed RAM if possible as well.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($118.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1228.94
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-05 04:24 EST-0500

If $1200 is too much to spend, then perhaps you should consider the i5 6600K instead for $260. It'll still be excellent for games.

If you're looking to max games out at 1080p and maintain 60FPS, you really don't have a choice other than to go with the GTX 980 Ti. The GTX 970 already can't max out certain games from this year and maintain 1080p60. GTX 970 SLI is potentially more capable than a single GTX 980 Ti, but there's no stronger single graphics card than the 980 Ti.

I managed to solve my WLAN issues and returned the ac router I got, so that means I now have some dough in my pockets to finally upgrade my gaming PC. If PC GAF would give me advice on what really needs upgrading and in what order, I'd be really happy.

What I currently have is below.

Zalman Z3 Plus Mid Tower Case
High Power ECO 500W PSU
ASUS M5A97 R2.0 Mainboard
AMD FX-6100 CPU (@3.6GHz)
Xigmatek Apache-III Cooler
2x4GB G.Skill DDR3-1333 CL9 RAM
Sapphire Radeon HD 7770 Ghz Edition
1TB Western Digital Blue HDD

I'm currently considering upgrading my GPU and possibly getting a small SSD as a system drive but I may have my priorities wrong here.

The biggest boost you could get depending on how much you want to spend, would come from a new processor and graphics card. Having an SSD would be nice, but it doesn't really affect game performance outside of loading times.

spons

Gold Member
Short answer: yes go for 4gb you'll definitely need it.
Also it's hard to recommend sli right now (especially for mid range gaming pcs). Granted it might get much better with dx12, but the current situation isn't very reassuring. A 220$ single Pascal GPU might be the better planned pick up.

Just a tip:
You should also look into the r9 380x and read some reviews, it might be the better suited card for your budget. (Only price segment where I recommend amd over nvidia tbh).
The R9 380X does seem good. I'll read up on some reviews, they're almost the same price here. I can upgrade to Pascal down the line no problem, just need something to be able to play games on my PC right now.

Saving up for a GTX 970 is a whole lot better than SLI GTX 960. Techspot recently ran an article claiming 2GB vs 4GB of VRAM for the GTX 960 and R9 380 doesn't make that much of a difference. That said I'd still pay the little extra for the peace of mind and the benefit in a few games, so I'd recommend a graphics card with 4GB of VRAM.
I'll definitely get a card with 4 GB of RAM then. That puts the 960 in the price range of the 380X.

So in conclusion: SLI is not optimal, so just get something mid-decent right now (most probably the R9 380X), then a single Pascal as the upgrade later this year (if at all necessary)? That would fit my budget just fine.

Thanks for the input.

Edit: Just wanted to say that my budget allows just mid-range right now and really anything will do because I'm on integrated since I lost my previous card. I can upgrade at the end of the year to Pascal, probably high-end, so a SLI 960 would not make sense if I understand correctly.

The biggest boost you could get depending on how much you want to spend, would come from a new processor and graphics card. Having an SSD would be nice, but it doesn't really affect game performance outside of loading times.

Would upgrading to an FX-8xxx be worthwhile, or am I looking at a mainboard+cpu upgrade there? If I have to replace the mainboard I'd rather wait and see what Zen will bring to the table..

As for the GPU, what would be a good bang for the buck upgrade for the 7770? I need something that will let me play current gen games at 900p at mid/high settings and 60fps; I'm thinking an R7 370 could be a good buy? Or an R9 270?

Hyun Sai

How large is your power supply in the Node 304 case? Will it interfere with the graphics card? The Node 304's product page mentions that if the PSU is over 160mm long it will interfere with the GPU.

Assuming no physical issues fitting a graphics card, then I recommend the EVGA GTX 970 SSC for $320 after $30 rebate, or the Asus GTX 970 Strix for $318 after $20 rebate. The EVGA model sports a higher clock speed out of the box, but the Asus Strix has a slightly larger cooler. There's not a huge world of difference between the two, get whichever one you can find or prefer.

Ok, my power supply is 160x150 mm, and my current graphic card is 260x128x38 mm.

I heard about "Pascal", is it worth the wait assuming my configuration can use it ?

RayStorm

Would upgrading to an FX-8xxx be worthwhile, or am I looking at a mainboard+cpu upgrade there? If I have to replace the mainboard I'd rather wait and see what Zen will bring to the table..

As for the GPU, what would be a good bang for the buck upgrade for the 7770? I need something that will let me play current gen games at 900p at mid/high settings and 60fps; I'm thinking an R7 370 could be a good buy? Or an R9 270?

I would think that both of your proposed upgrades would not be worth it at all. The R7 370/R9 270 are both based off of the 7850, so you would pay quite a bit of money for just one very small step up. The same probably goes for the CPU as well.

Ok, my power supply is 160x150 mm, and my current graphic card is 260x128x38 mm.

Considering that you already have a graphics card installed with your PSU and don'T have any problems you wouldn't have them either with a new card, as long as it's not longer than 310mm, which is the maximum for the Node 301.Obviously depending on where the wires actually exit your PSU it might not be pretty, but it should certainly work.

RGM79

I heard about "Pascal", is it worth the wait assuming my configuration can use it ?
Pascal will be compatible, but not much else is known.

Unless you can get that FX-8xxx processor for very cheap, Intel is the better way to go for performance. You may want to wait for Zen if you prefer AMD.

The R7 370 and R9 270 are nearly the same in terms of performance. If you're aiming for 60FPS at 900p and medium settings then it may be possible, but it'll depend on the game. I'd feel better recommending a GTX 960 or R9 380.

Thanks guys!
Another question, a local shop has those sticks for a very good price, are they fine?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...e=kingston_hyperx_fury-_-20-104-531-_-Product
They're alright, but if you have a Z170 motherboard then you'll want higher speed RAM, 2666MHz or higher if it doesn't cost too much extra.

What country are you in, if you don't mind me asking?

Matty8787

There's a questionnaire in the first post of this thread you should fill out, it'll give us a better idea of what to recommend you. No offense, but you're being a bit vague with your needs, at the very least we kinda should know how much you want to spend, and because it sounds like you want it to be a media center PC, if it should be small and compact or whatnot.

Yeah my bad, I forgot to check OP.

I am a bit vague as the build is for somebody else, will fill out the questionnaire and return when I have done so.

Thanks.

dude

dude
They're alright, but if you have a Z170 motherboard then you'll want higher speed RAM, 2666MHz or higher if it doesn't cost too much extra.

What country are you in, if you don't mind me asking?

Israel. Prices here are very high for hardware, so I'm trying to save where I can. I'd say my whole build is about 33% more expensive than it'd be if bought in the US.
Anyway, I do have a Z170 motherboard. I think I'll go with better RAM, I just hoped to save a couple extra bucks.

Thanks a lot!

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Seems to me the prices of GPUs went up. Week before last was like $340 for the 970, last week was $350 and this week it's $360.

Terra

Ok. So I upgraded to an i7 6700+gtx 980 build and I am happy with this.

But I also bought a cheap case and cleaned/installed my old stuff into this new.
So suddenly I also have an i7 960 with 16 gb RAM, a gtx 295, genuine Windows 10 and 240 gb ssd.
Runs like a clock.

1. If I sell the i7 960 build, how much could I ask for it?
2. If I don't sell it. Got any ideas what I could use it for?

Thanks guys, I guess I'll postpone the CPU upgrade to post-Zen and go for an R9 380 instead. Will it be terribly bottlenecked by my FX-6100?

ISee

Ok. So I upgraded to an i7 6700+gtx 980 build and I am happy with this.

But I also bought a cheap case and cleaned/installed my old stuff into this new.
So suddenly I also have an i7 960 with 16 gb RAM, a gtx 295, genuine Windows 10 and 240 gb ssd.
Runs like a clock.

1. If I sell the i7 960 build, how much could I ask for it?

i7 960 = 70-80
gtx 295 = 40-50
mobo (?) = 50-60
16gb of ddr3 (1333?) = 40-55
240 ssd = 60
power supply + case (really depends on the case/power supply) = let's assume 50-60

So around 300-400 bucks without win10, I guess. But I do not know why some should be interested in a gtx 295 now days to be honest.

2. If I don't sell it. Got any ideas what I could use it for?

You can use the gtx 295 as a dedicated PhysX card.
You can buy a capture card and use the system to record gameplay, stream to twitch or whatever.
You can look at it, then install newer games and laugh how badly they run in comparison.
You could hook it up to your TV and use something like Steam to stream your games to your living room (probably not too power efficient).
You could use it as a NAS/personal cloud server (too power hungry, I guess)

Terra

i7 960 = 70-80
gtx 295 = 40-50
mobo (?) = 50-60
16gb of ddr3 (1333?) = 40-55
240 ssd = 60
power supply + case (really depends on the case/power supply) = let's assume 50-60

So around 300-400 bucks without win10, I guess. But I do not know why some should be interested in a gtx 295 now days to be honest.

You can use the gtx 295 as a dedicated PhysX card.
You can buy a capture card and use the system to record gameplay, stream to twitch or whatever.
You can look at it, then install newer games and laugh how badly they run in comparison.
You could hook it up to your TV and use something like Steam to stream your games to your living room (probably not too power efficient).
You could use it as a NAS/personal cloud server (too power hungry, I guess)

Thanks. I bought a new 650w cooler master psu and there is a gigabyte ud5-something motherboard.

I really don't know what to do. So I guess I'll sell it for 300 bucks.

The gtx 295 with dual pcs is a beast though. I hav seen it run gta v and mgs V too. Of course on low settings. But still :).

Hi all, I was going through some boxes and found bits from from my my old PC, a GA-P55M-UD2 motherboard with an Intel G6950 2.80GHz CPU still in it. I was wondering if I could slap a cheap-ish graphics card, like a R7 265, with a 430w PSU and use it as a 2nd PC? Pretty much the only game it would be playing is World of Warcraft.

Can I MacGyver my old pieces into something useful? Or are the mobo and CPU just too old for that proverbial shit these days?

Raxanas

Neo Member
Hi all, I was going through some boxes and found bits from from my my old PC, a GA-P55M-UD2 motherboard with an Intel G6950 2.80GHz CPU still in it. I was wondering if I could slap a cheap-ish graphics card, like a R7 265, with a 430w PSU and use it as a 2nd PC? Pretty much the only game it would be playing is World of Warcraft.

Can I MacGyver my old pieces into something useful? Or are the mobo and CPU just too old for that proverbial shit these days?

Can you please tell me how old your PC is?And what brand is your PSU?
Also how much are u willing to spend generally?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom