• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volotaire

What country are you in and how much of a budget do you have available to spend? We can find something to recommend to you.

Well, it's hard to go wrong with the i7 6700K if you're worried about performance. It's just expensive, that's all.

I tend not to worry as much about the brand of graphics card, any brand is capable of putting out good or bad products. The ZT-90101-10P has excellent user review ratings from North American retailers at the very least, I feel comfortable recommending it. It has consistently scored over 4/5 rating from Newegg, Amazon, and other places after many reviews.

Thanks for your help!

You have a Windows 10 product key, right? You can download the Windows 10 media creation tool by Microsoft, it's a program that will download the latest Windows 10 installation files for you and help you load it onto a USB drive. All you need is a decent sized USB drive (4GB minimum). Just choose home or professional edition and whether you want the Windows ISO file or for it to automatically copy the files to a USB drive for you, your choice. When it puts the Windows 10 installation files on the USB drive, it will format and delete everything before moving the files over, so be sure to save anything you need.

Damn you are super helpful. Thank you again!

650W is more than enough.

I prefer huge cases like my Thermaltake OVerseer RX-I, because my own logic tells me that big = better for cooling... (not necessarily true). So 'room' wasn't an issue while picking a card.

But specs and pictures tell me that you can easily fit a Gigabyte G1 (~300mm) in your case.

Thanks for that. My sound card is right above my current GPU. I'm assuming in terms of height, the extra size will be downwards rather than upwards?

Just another input for you, I actually own the 970 Gaming G1 and to echo the above comments its a fanastic card. Cool temps and great overclocks (I'm running 1540 and 8000) but I unfortunately do get a bit of coil whine. Though from what I understand its a pot luck of not just the card itself but also the combo of which PSU you have.

Does your coil whine occur when going above 60fps, or generally? From what I can tell, my current 770 only has coil whine when the framerate goes really high (when vsync is off), but I also get a slightly different sounding whine from the PSU (at least I think that's the source), which I can only hear in one ear, probably because it's at a higher frequency. PSU is a Corsair TX V2 650w.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
hmm, do you have some sort of audio manager in your system tray, in something like realtek audio manager it usually defaults to mute rear output when headset is plugged in, so all you have to do is plug in your headphones when you want to use them, and unplug them when you want to switch back to external speakers

Yea, my Mobo includes the Realtek Audio manager that you stated in the system tray. Problem I think is that I keep my USB headset plugged in the back of my tower(its a wireless headset afterall), so manually telling the machine where to direct audio when both lines are active is the issue.

Going back and forth between Windows Sound manager and the Realtek software to align everything is just a nightmare. Maybe I need to just get accustomed to unplugging my USB stick for the headset everytime I quit gaming with them. A pain, but the alternative is just killing me.

Do you have a reason to want DDR4? Not that many programs and games are bottlenecked by RAM speed.

Not really, just building for the future, lol.

The price for the 6700k isn't that bad, but $70 is $70 you know? Wasn't sure if it was a temp thing since I remember it cheaper when pricing parts a couple months ago.

M.D

I use Audioswitch. It's a tiny program that sits in your system tray that you can click on to quickly change audio inputs. You can set up a custom keyboard shortcut to cycle through audio devices.

As for step #3, it's not so much the computer or Windows, but the game or program you're using. Some games and programs don't handle switching audio devices after you already started them. If you start it up and then change audio devices, it will be stuck on the output device that was already set when the game/program was started. The only foolproof method is to make sure you set the audio device you wanted and then start the game or program. I've noticed that Firefox/Youtube and Media Player Classic handle default audio device changing on the fly really well, but most games don't.

Kingston likes to label some of their RAM kits with the total memory capacity of the kit, not the actual size of the stick. E.g., they have a kit of 2x4GB, both sticks will be labeled with a "/8GB" on the end of the model number. I work as a hardware technician doing repairs and assembly, they are the only RAM brand that I've seen does this. It's annoying.

Anyway, that RAM is fine, it's actually quite short and should fit under the NH-D15 very easily. The PDF you linked to shows the Kingston RAM as being 30mm tall, while the Noctua NH-D15's compatibility guide shows that the heatsink itself allows for 64mm tall RAM and the fan will have 32mm of space underneath (and you can always adjust the fan to be mounted taller to leave more room underneath.)

Thanks for the explanation and the help!

ISee

Thanks for that. My sound card is right above my current GPU. I'm assuming in terms of height, the extra size will be downwards rather than upwards?

There is a backplate, so a tiny bit up and a tiny bit down. But this shouldn't be a problem at all. Some people have problems to fit the G1 because it is about 10cm longer than most cards.

There is a backplate, so a tiny bit up and a tiny bit down. But this shouldn't be a problem at all. Some people have problems to fit the G1 because it is about 10cm longer than most cards.

According to Gigabyte's site, the height of the GPU is 39mm. Does that include the backplate? If not, how much does the backplate add roughly?

Velinos

Yes. The 5770 is extremely dated nowadays. I just recently researched upgrades from a 5770 for a friend and was really surprised at the low performance.
An Nvidia 660 is about 200% performance of a 5770. 960 will wipe the floor with it.

Cool, thanks for the reply.

daxy

Does your coil whine occur when going above 60fps, or generally? From what I can tell, my current 770 only has coil whine when the framerate goes really high (when vsync is off), but I also get a slightly different sounding whine from the PSU (at least I think that's the source), which I can only hear in one ear, probably because it's at a higher frequency. PSU is a Corsair TX V2 650w.

Another 970 G1 user here, the coil whine (for me) only really happens like you said when the frame rate goes above 200 or something. No vsync on and games with uncapped intro sequences or stuff like that. During regular use, the card does produce a soft humming sound (not really whine), but I can barely hear it and it's right next to me under the table. If you know what you're doing, you could edit the BIOS to create a profile that disables fans entirely when the card isn't being significantly taxed. Also, it's installed with fans pointing downward (re: extra size), though take into account that takes up two slots.

In regard to your PSU question on the previous page, I'm using a 650w one myself and it seems to work fine. My card doesn't OC beyond 1500 core, but I don't know if those are related. Probably not.

Another 970 G1 user here, the coil whine (for me) only really happens like you said when the frame rate goes above 200 or something. No vsync on and games with uncapped intro sequences or stuff like that. During regular use, the sound does produce a soft humming sound (not really whine), but I can barely hear it and it's right next to me under the table. If you know what you're doing, you could edit the BIOS to create a profile that disables fans entirely when the card isn't being significantly taxed.

You could just set a global fps cap with rivatuner so that it doesn't get that high. It's how I stopped the coil whine on my MSI 970.

I wasn't aware I could do this! I always made separate profiles for all games. Thanks so much!

No problem! I have a 144Hz g-sync display so I set the cap to 143 fps (above 144--and possibly at--is when it will either engage v-sync or tear, so this way it avoids it).

RGM79

I'm seeing some for a little cheaper than that. R9 390 has 8gb ram but runs a little louder than the gtx 970. How come they're so similar in price with 4gb difference in ram?

PCPartPicker's price database for Australia isn't that comprehensive, so if you're finding it for less than $400, go for it. The VRAM amount doesn't change the manufacturing costs that much, per card.

I use a 256gb Crucial M4 as my OS drive. Got it in 2011.

Do you think I would notice any real world difference in general usage and gameplay if I upgraded to a current SSD like an 850 Pro?

RGM79

I use a 256gb Crucial M4 as my OS drive. Got it in 2011.

Do you think I would notice any real world difference in general usage and gameplay if I upgraded to a current SSD like an 850 Pro?

The 850 Pro is a lot faster in some read and write situations, but unless you need the speed for work it's not worth bothering. You might see things load a couple seconds faster, but it'll do nothing for gaming performance such a framerate. The only thing it will really affect is loading times, so unless you really, really hate load times and want to shave off a few seconds, I don't recommend it.

daxy

I don't need something super powerful. Can anyone tell me if this is a good build? Is there something that i should change?
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZrQyjX

You could shave off $60 by getting a Windows 7/8/10 license code (upgrade 7 or 8 to 10 if that's cheaper) from someone in the Neogaf BST thread or off of Reddit (did this myself, rolling fine so far), and also get the non-windowed Enthoo Pro for another $20 savings (it's fun to look at once or twice, but it gets old). Use that extra $80 to get a GTX 970 (or a 6600K, but I lean GPU > CPU) . For max savings, hold off on buying that video card and use the the Rainbow Six code from your mobo to sell that for $10-20, so you can put that towards a 970.

Easy savings and totally worth it man. The rest looks solid. Wouldn't recommend OCing the 970 with that PSU though (650w to be safe).

RGM79

I don't need something super powerful. Can anyone tell me if this is a good build? Is there something that i should change?
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZrQyjX

There are some parts that I think are overpriced, like that monitor. I mean, $300 is a lot to ask for just 1080p and 60Hz TN panel, even if it does look nice. Here's what I recommend:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($254.95 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H5 Universal 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($46.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($115.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Patriot Viper 4 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($84.01 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card ($308.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($44.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: EVGA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($61.50 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($89.88 @ OutletPC)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($29.89 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Asus VH238H 23.0" Monitor ($104.39 @ Newegg)
Total: $1225.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-12 17:25 EST-0500

This is about $150 cheaper while having a stronger processor, graphics card, and power supply.

SRG01

Hey guys, I'm attempting to be a bit more frugal with my future purchases and have a need for additional storage since my 1TB storage drive has almost filled up in less than a year -- mostly Steam and GOG install files and photos.

I do have a 4-500GB drive in the old laptop that I used prior to this system. Would it be worthwhile to pull the drive and use it as storage? Or is it not worth it in terms of reliability/cost, in that it's a marginal cost to buy a larger and better performing drive?

ISee

According to Gigabyte's site, the height of the GPU is 39mm. Does that include the backplate? If not, how much does the backplate add roughly?

All gtx g1 970/980 models have a backplate, so most probably yes.

(Sorry I'm way too lazy to crawl under my desk, remove all cables, get the tower up, open it, remove the power cables from my card, remove it the from my pcie slot and then measure it correctly)

(Sorry I'm way too lazy to crawl under my desk, remove all cables, get the tower up, open it, remove the power cables from my card, remove it the from my pcie slot and then measure it correctly)

Lol no problem, I appreciate the help.

RGM79

Hey guys, I'm attempting to be a bit more frugal with my future purchases and have a need for additional storage since my 1TB storage drive has almost filled up in less than a year -- mostly Steam and GOG install files and photos.

I do have a 4-500GB drive in the old laptop that I used prior to this system. Would it be worthwhile to pull the drive and use it as storage? Or is it not worth it in terms of reliability/cost, in that it's a marginal cost to buy a larger and better performing drive?

If you're not using the laptop or hard drive, there's no reason not to take it out and put it in your current PC. Not much point in having it sitting around and doing nothing. Canadian prices being what they are, some of the best deals for storage-to-price recently have been 3TB drives for ~$100. A 1TB drive goes for about $60 at the cheapest.

SRG01

If you're not using the laptop or hard drive, there's no reason not to take it out and put it in your current PC. Not much point in having it sitting around and doing nothing. Canadian prices being what they are, some of the best deals for storage-to-price recently have been 3TB drives for ~$100. A 1TB drive goes for about $60 at the cheapest.

Yeah, the CDN dollar is the main reason why I'm being extremely frugal this time around. I was already lucky enough to purchase my system when I did... I just have to find some SATA cables -- motherboard only came with two :( -- and I should be good to go!

luoapp

- if you need to buy a 2.5"-3.5" bracket, get a new drive. (money better spent on hard drive capacity)

- if you're planning install game on it, get a new drive. waiting for reloading just not fun.

Franco_hunter

Neo Member
I need help with something im breaking my mind on.
I bought the Gigabyte GA-Z170N-Gaming 5 motherboard (http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5529#ov)
It will be used with a Nvidia 970 and i5 6600k. The queston is, the i5 has 16x pci lanes, the motherboard has 1 PCIe Gen3 x4 M.2, will it slow down the gpu in case i put a m.2 ssd?
Thats not the only thing, according to the manufacturer "The Intel® USB 3.1 controller utilizes 2 PCIe Gen3 lanes", That would take another 2 lanes? It even uses 1 lane for the wifi module i think.
Thanks!
Edit: i did some research and a 980 with a x8 pci 3.0 has almost no difference with 16x pci lanes. i guess my configuration wont suffer any hit.

Dmax3901

PCPartPicker's price database for Australia isn't that comprehensive, so if you're finding it for less than $400, go for it. The VRAM amount doesn't change the manufacturing costs that much, per card.

Is the r9 390 better than the gtx 970? double the ram seems like it should be...

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
I bought the Gigabyte GA-Z170N-Gaming 5 motherboard (http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5529#ov)
It will be used with a Nvidia 970 and i5 6600k. The queston is, the i5 has 16x pci lanes, the motherboard has 1 PCIe Gen3 x4 M.2, will it slow down the gpu in case i put a m.2 ssd?
Thats not the only thing, according to the manufacturer "The Intel® USB 3.1 controller utilizes 2 PCIe Gen3 lanes", That would take another 2 lanes? It even uses 1 lane for the wifi module i think.
Thanks!

You're forgetting about out the 26 HSIO (High Speed IO) lanes on the Z170's PCH.

There's 16 PCIe lanes from CPU to the PCIe slots, those are used as either x16 or x8/x8 for SLI etc, but the z170 also uses 26 HSIO lanes for the other IO needs:
(DMI means that most transfers on these buses will never directly go "through" the CPU)

PCH%20Allocation_575px.png

You can see the separation here:

intel_skylake_1.jpg

USB 3.1 and M.2 PCIe x4 are not going to steal bandwidth from the GPU.

Hello. I have a HTPC that I use mostly for streaming movies and TV, but I occasionally use it for some light gaming. The specs are:

Case: Silverstone SG05BB w/ 450W PSU
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XN-WIFI
CPU: AMD A10-7850K
RAM: G.SKILL 8GB DDR3 1600
Video card: AMD 5770
HD: Crucial MX100 256GB SSD & WD Blue 1TB SATA

I normally have this connected to my TV running at a custom resolution close to 720p (the TV does not support 1:1 pixel mapping), but I occasionally have it connected to a monitor running at 1080p. The video card was from a previous build and worked fine except when I wanted to run Divinity: OS EE in split-screen on the TV and it was a bit choppy. I assume that the video card is the bottleneck since it is several years older. Would the EVGA GeForce GTX 960 04G-P4-1962-KR 4GB SC GAMING video card be a good upgrade?
Just curious, is the 5770 too old to crossfire with the 7850k iGPU. It's about the same performance as an R7 250. If so, it could be a free performance boost in crossfire friendly games... I'm not sure, though.

RGM79

- if you need to buy a 2.5"-3.5" bracket, get a new drive. (money better spent on hard drive capacity)

- if you're planning install game on it, get a new drive. waiting for reloading just not fun.

Brackets are pretty cheap. No more than a couple of dollars, even in Canada. It's not like the extra $5~10 spent on a bracket means he missed out on extra storage space. I see brackets on Newegg and NCIX for a fairly low price, not including shipping though.

Hell, I'll mail you a spare bracket if you want, SRG01.

Thanks!

I looked at the Gigabyte motherboard's manual and there's no warning that it will slow down the graphics card. I'm not totally sure, but I think it can intelligently tell which has priority for PCI-E lane usage. It'd be best to contact Gigabyte customer support..

Is the r9 390 better than the gtx 970? double the ram seems like it should be...

At best it's like a 10% performance difference I think, and whether the GTX 970 or R9 390 is faster will depend on the game. They're close enough that for people deciding between the two cards, I usually end up asking about their situation or recommending they look at performance benchmarks for their favorite games to see which one is better suited for them.

For example, if they were building a mini ITX PC which usually has constraints on heat, wattage, and airflow then the GTX 970 is the better recommendation. Otherwise a decent R9 390 can usually be had for a better price than even the cheapest GTX 970 models. Not too long ago, there were a few XFX/MSI/Gigabyte R9 390 models for around $275~280, while a GTX 970 blower model started at $300 and the ones with the nice twin or triple fan coolers started at $310~320. Right now the R9 390 cards have moved up slightly in price compared to the GTX 970, though.

Edit: double the VRAM doesn't mean higher performance. You should think of VRAM like a "storage" for game assets like textures and stuff that the GPU is working on and rendering. The higher the resolution and quality of the game settings, the more VRAM is required to run well, but if it's not being used up, it's not contributing to anything.

Franco_hunter

Neo Member
You're forgetting about out the 26 HSIO (High Speed IO) lanes on the Z170's PCH.

There's 16 PCIe lanes from CPU to the PCIe slots, those are used as either x16 or x8/x8 for SLI etc, but the z170 also uses 26 HSIO lanes for the other IO needs:
(DMI means that most transfers on these buses will never directly go "through" the CPU)

http://images.anandtech.com/doci/9485/PCH Allocation_575px.png

You can see the separation here:

https://regmedia.co.uk/2015/08/20/intel_skylake_1.jpg

USB 3.1 and M.2 PCIe x4 are not going to steal bandwidth from the GPU.

Great, never knew that. Thanks

RGM79

Just curious, is the 5770 too old to crossfire with the 7850k iGPU. It's about the same performance as an R7 250. If so, it could be a free performance boost in crossfire friendly games... I'm not sure, though.

Rule of thumb for how crossfire and SLI work today is that it has to be the same generation and almost exactly the same model of card to pair them up properly. They can't only be "close in performance", they need to be nearly the exact same card so they can work together and synchronize well. Even two of the exact same model of graphics card if they are out of sync by a few milliseconds will result in microstutter and won't provide a smooth gaming experience.

DX12 is coming with extremely promising multi-GPU support. Two graphics cards can pool their VRAM together and share the work instead of having to work separately to render different things, Nvidia and AMD graphics cards can work together, and the performance differences between two unequally performing graphics chips paired together won't be a stumbling factor anymore as the system will know how to intelligently balance the workload.

It looks like R9 Nano and Fury dropped down to the 980(not ti) price point.
Rule of thumb for how crossfire and SLI work today is that it has to be the same generation and almost exactly the same model of card to pair them up properly. They can't only be "close in performance", they need to be nearly the exact same card so they can work together and synchronize well. Even two of the exact same model of graphics card if they are out of sync by a few milliseconds will result in microstutter and won't provide a smooth gaming experience.

DX12 is coming with extremely promising multi-GPU support. Two graphics cards can pool their VRAM together instead of having to render the same thing, Nvidia and AMD graphics cards can work together, and the performance differences between two unequally performing graphics chips paired together won't be a stumbling factor anymore as the system will know how to intelligently balance the workload.

Yeah, I wasn't sure if the 250 was a rebadge of a rebadge because old cards work in hybrid crossfire with the 7850K. I didn't know if the 5770 was one of them or not.

Also, I don't see AMD/Nvidia cards working together, though. Nvidia won't allow it. It was possible to use an AMD card paired with an Nvidia as a physx card in the past but Nvidia locked their cards down if their drivers detect AMD hardware running. I see them doing the same thing again, regardless of whether or not DX12 makes it possible.

RGM79

It looks like R9 Nano and Fury dropped down to the 980(not ti) price point.

Yeah, I wasn't sure if the 250 was a rebadge of a rebadge because old cards work in hybrid crossfire with the 7850K. I didn't know if the 5770 was one of them or not.

Also, I don't see AMD/Nvidia cards working together, though. Nvidia won't allow it. It was possible to use an AMD card paired with an Nvidia as a physx card in the past but Nvidia locked their cards down if their drivers detect AMD hardware running. I see them doing the same thing again, regardless of whether or not DX12 makes it possible.

Yeah, unfortunately the 5770 is too old and of a different design. It sucks that Nvidia is likely to try and block AMD cards from working with them. I'd like to see AMD actively try to butt heads with them and get it working, though. Popular support should be for open operation between the two, so I really hope it works out.

Dmax3901

At best it's like a 10% performance difference I think, and whether the GTX 970 or R9 390 is faster will depend on the game. They're close enough that for people deciding between the two cards, I usually end up asking about their situation or recommending they look at performance benchmarks for their favorite games to see which one is better suited for them.

For example, if they were building a mini ITX PC which usually has constraints on heat, wattage, and airflow then the GTX 970 is the better recommendation. Otherwise a decent R9 390 can usually be had for a better price than even the cheapest GTX 970 models. Not too long ago, there were a few XFX/MSI/Gigabyte R9 390 models for around $275~280, while a GTX 970 blower model started at $300 and the ones with the nice twin or triple fan coolers started at $310~320. Right now the R9 390 cards have moved up slightly in price compared to the GTX 970, though.

Edit: double the VRAM doesn't mean higher performance. You should think of VRAM like a "storage" for game assets like textures and stuff that the GPU is working on and rendering. The higher the resolution and quality of the game settings, the more VRAM is required to run well, but if it's not being used up, it's not contributing to anything.

You are so very helpful thanks so much.

I know there's never a good time, but would you say an upgrade from an R9 290 to a GTX 970 would be wise at this time of year? Am I likely to get a better deal within the next few months?

Alastor3

Need help guys! A friend of mine just gave me his old graphic card.
I never change that before and my computer is pretty old.
Im afraid im going to kill my powersupply.

Now, I have just looked at that website http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GT-9800-vs-GeForce-GT-620

My graphic card is currently a Nvidia 9800 and my friend is a GT620.
I though my card was really low but the benchmarch are actually in favor of the 9800, even tho the 620 can run directX11 and not the 9800...

im lost

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her

Now, I have just looked at that website http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GT-9800-vs-GeForce-GT-620

I though my card was really low but the benchmarch are actually in favor of the 9800, even tho the 620 can run directX11 and not the 9800...

im lost

The 620 was a dog of a card on a 64bit bus, the 9800 was a monster of it's time, despite the age difference between the two the 9800 is the better card.

inner-G

Banned

I'm pretty sure most 970s (at least EVGAs) don't include back plates.

The FTW+ does

The 620 was a dog of a card on a 64bit bus, the 9800 was a monster of it's time, despite the age difference between the two the 9800 is the better card.
I played Skyrim on an Athlon 64 X2 and 9800 gt for a while. It ran amazingly well.

SRG01

It's mainly going to be used for storage. I'll be turfing out a lot of the old folders/directories since that laptop isn't useful for anything anymore. (Aside from being a render box, but my current system can run circles around it)

My system does have spare 2.5" brackets, but it's just a matter of finding/purchasing a SATA cable from somewhere.

RGM79

You are so very helpful thanks so much.

I know there's never a good time, but would you say an upgrade from an R9 290 to a GTX 970 would be wise at this time of year? Am I likely to get a better deal within the next few months?

They're close enough that I can't recommend spending the $300 on a GTX 970 for such a small performance boost from your existing R9 290. It might be a different case if you could sell your R9 290 for a decent price, but still kind of a hassle.

Is your R9 290 not able to handle your games at the settings and framerate that you want?

im lost
Your 9800GT is an ancient but high end card, while the GT 620 is a low end but more recent card. I'd actually stick with the 9800GT unless it's having problems and is dying or something. You don't have to worry about your power supply if you ever switch graphics cards, the GT 620 draws less power than the 9800GT.

grendelrt

So question on swapping over to a new computer build and Windows 10. What's the easiest way to do this on a computer that was upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I was thinking install the new mb, cpu, and ram then launch Windows 10 and run the reset tool maybe? Since I upgraded from Windows 7 , what key do I use to try and register Windows 10 if I need to do a fresh install?

demented

I have an old razer deathadder that has served me fine but for a while now middle button(click not scroll) stops working for few hours, sometimes short sometimes longer. Today it didn't work for 10 hours and I thought it was gone ,ready to pick up a new mouse but it started working again. Anyone got idea what it could be? Just sign of it's upcoming death or? I'm still tempted to buy a new mouse but money is really tight right now so if it still works, and I've been happy with it for 8 years... Tried opening it to clean etc but screws got stripped few years ago when I tried doing the same so yeah..

So my 560ti and 965BE are getting a bit long in the tooth for me. Looking at going in for a new build.

I spent the last couple of days scouring the OP, digging into this thread and reading reviews. What are thoughts on this:

Is that PSU good enough to handle overclockicking? Any other outstanding issues?

I'm trying to keep my budget to as close to $1,000 USD as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom