• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I overclocked my i5-4670K to 4.0Ghz and did 10 runs (High) with IntelBurnTest. Should I push for 4.2?

Results:

N6TfASN.png

That's a bit hot for 4ghz. What vcore did you use?

RGM79

Thanks man, you've been a real help. Does this look like a good monitor to go with this setup?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/aoc-21-5-ips-led-hd-monitor-black/8163044.p?id=1218864514315
That's a pretty good price for an IPS monitor and reviews are excellent. Otherwise if you're interested in a larger monitor, there's this Asus VN248H-P ($111) which offers 23.8" of screen size for $11 more compared to that AOC's 21.5" screen. It is also an IPS monitor and if you look at the Newegg link, reviews are similarly excellent after a few hundred reviews.

Club3D R9 270

It's not a specific monitor/cable that doesnt work, instead it's whichever monitor/cable is plugged in last.
As far as I can find, it's because the R9 270 cannot do that with a passive Displayport cable adaptor as it has technical limitations. Apparently it only allows a third monitor with an active displayport adaptor which is as you can guess, more expensive than a simple passive one. See the AMD Eyefinity FAQ here and examples of active DP cables here.

What are you doing on your PC that is RAM intensive? I cannot think of anything that would benefit from quad channel or be bottlenecked by dual channel unless you are doing some tough work involving CPU heavy computation workloads. Paying more for RAM speeds higher than 3200MHz is hard to justify because there are few applications that can make use of it.

If you're going with Skylake parts, get DDR4. There are some Skylake motherboards that support DDR3, but it definitely isn't recommended for reasons of high voltage meaning higher temperatures and possible lower lifespan of the processor.

I'm planning to use it for a lot. I've used photoshop and video editors on low ram machines in the past with tolerable results. However there are more intensive things I want to delve into, like 3d modelling. And i'd rather just save a little extra for extra ram without having to worry about it.

I actually saw a fantastic deal on 64gb DDR4, if it's within my budget, i don't see why not.

I'm looking to put together a new computer but all of this is so mindboggling that I kind of feel like giving up.

I spent most of the day trying to look at different parts and I feel more confused than before I started.

OraleeWey

I'm looking to put together a new computer but all of this is so mindboggling that I kind of feel like giving up.

I spent most of the day trying to look at different parts and I feel more confused than before I started.
Best thing to do is forget about the past. Learn about what's current. Everything revolves around the CPU. Learn about Haswell and Skylake. It will make things much easier for you. If you fill out the questions from the OP, I'm sure RGM79 will suggest a build for you based on your specifications. You build your PC, and slowly you'll understand more.

RGM79

I'm planning to use it for a lot. I've used photoshop and video editors on low ram machines in the past with tolerable results. However there are more intensive things I want to delve into, like 3d modelling. And i'd rather just save a little extra for extra ram without having to worry about it.

I actually saw a fantastic deal on 64gb DDR4, if it's within my budget, i don't see why not.

Yeah, that sounds totally reasonable.

There's a short questionnaire in the first post of this thread, fill it out and we can help you figure out what to get.

If a HDD fails it usually fails in the short period after purchasing it, so it can happen.

Formatting doesn't delete data, just marks it as deleted. Usually a recover program like GetDataBack will find these files but usually loses the real file names. So make sure to check every folder that appears in the results. Also depends exactly which partition you deleted and which partition those photos were on.

Of course writing data to the formatted area will overwrote those areas flagged as deleted and then you can't get the old files back. That's also why you have to copy recovered files to a different disk.

I meant to write unallocated space, can files be in those partitions?

I have worked with computers for a long time and I have never had this happen to me before. It is a learning experience I guess.

Best thing to do is forget about the past. Learn about what's current. Everything revolves around the CPU. Learn about Haswell and Skylake. It will make things much easier for you. If you fill out the questions from the OP, I'm sure RGM79 will suggest a build for you based on your specifications. You build your PC, and slowly you'll understand more.

I guess I'll try that as I have no clue on how to proceed.

[Basic Desktop Questions]

Budget: 1000-1400 I guess + Canada

Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest: Gaming - 5

Monitor Resolution: 1600 x 900, don't really see a need to get a bigger one.

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Need to run the latest stuff at 60fps at least. (PhysX / SuperSampling / CUDA) don't think these things have anything to do with 60 FPS so I guess it doesn't matter.

Looking to reuse any parts?: Not reusing anything.

When will you build?: As soon as possible.

Will you be overclocking?: Never done it before so no.

As you can see I basically need a new gaming PC. Other things I have to add; from the videos I've seen + prices it seems like the GTX 960 or Radeon R9 380 would be good choices for the video card, the videos showed them mostly running things at 50-60 fps at 1080p (I guess at my res they will run a bit better since it's lower than 1080p).

I also need a SSD and HDD since I want to put Windows OS and games on the SSD for faster load times. Apparently this SSD is supposed to be pretty good.

For the CPU I read that intel CPUs are the best now, I basically need one of those ones that are good for gaming I guess. I'd also like 16GB of RAM but I don't know which ones good/bad.

Things I have absolutely zero clue about include the case/motherboard/power supply/disc drive that can read cd/dvd/blu ray (if those even exist). I'm not sure if that covers everything or not, there's so many parts it feels like I'm always forgetting about something.

Also I heard that sites like NCIX.com have some kind of service where they put the PC together for you then ship it to you if you buy all the parts there.

Is that recommended or should I receive the parts then take it to someone for them to put it together? I just want to know if online preassembling has a bad reputation or not if I have them build it or if it's better to have a local business do it.

I appreciate any help that anyone can give me.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Spent all night after work trying to isolate the reason behind my lack of getting to POST or any image displayed on my monitor screen.

My ASUS board lacks an internal speaker, and my case didn't include one so I couldn't tell by boot beeps what is happening. The ASUS board does have an Q-code display for errors however and while nothing dramatic was shown according to the manual(it stays on '32' - Post Memory Initialization?) it does seem like my Corsair RAM is likely the culprit.

I did run an XPS profile in Bios which increased my RAM speed to their designated values(3000mhz) vs the default underclocked 2133mhz. This is normal to do and recommended to switch on even in the manual. A bit of googling and I discovered various reports of people having similar boot errors as me after weeks of using this same RAM at those faster clock speeds. It's rare, but until I try different RAM out, it's impossible to say if I just had bad luck here.

Ordered Kingston replacements and will be RMA'ing the Corsair regardless. Mobo seems fine, PSU is working, and I even rebuilt my entire PC including reseating my Processor to check pins for faults(none). It has to be the RAM....and if not, I quit PC gaming altogether. This added expense and time commitment has been such a turnoff the past few days.

Manp

Spent all night after work trying to isolate the reason behind my lack of getting to POST or any image displayed on my monitor screen.

My ASUS board lacks an internal speaker, and my case didn't include one so I couldn't tell by boot beeps what is happening. The ASUS board does have an Q-code display for errors however and while nothing dramatic was shown according to the manual(it stays on '32' - Post Memory Initialization?) it does seem like my Corsair RAM is likely the culprit.

I did run an XPS profile in Bios which increased my RAM speed to their designated values(3000mhz) vs the default underclocked 2133mhz. This is normal to do and recommended to switch on even in the manual. A bit of googling and I discovered various reports of people having similar boot errors as me after weeks of using this same RAM at those faster clock speeds. It's rare, but until I try different RAM out, it's impossible to say if I just had bad luck here.

Ordered Kingston replacements and will be RMA'ing the Corsair regardless. Mobo seems fine, PSU is working, and I even rebuilt my entire PC including reseating my Processor to check pins for faults(none). It has to be the RAM....and if not, I quit PC gaming altogether.

you sure ram are getting the right voltage for that clock? have you tried setting it manually?

This added expense and time commitment has been such a turnoff the past few days.

that's the fun part lol :)

RGM79

It kept flashing various number codes. I am going to do some more rigorous testing tonight after work and note all the codes and report back(also checking what they mean in the manual).

I also just bought a new PSU off Amazon to install as my current one is a few years old and was purchased 'used' when I needed one fro my prior PC build. I am not certain that is the issue, but I have been meaning to upgrade it anyway.

Got a Corsair RM850 as a replacement. Hope it is a reliable one.

Ordered Kingston replacements and will be RMA'ing the Corsair regardless. Mobo seems fine, PSU is working, and I even rebuilt my entire PC including reseating my Processor to check pins for faults(none). It has to be the RAM....and if not, I quit PC gaming altogether. This added expense and time commitment has been such a turnoff the past few days.

It's not promising, but it seems that from Newegg's user reviews, several others have noted hardware issues with the Asus Maximus VIII Hero motherboard failing days to months after putting together their computer. Go here, click on the reviews, then sort by "lowest rated". It's unfortunate, but overall the motherboard seems to have a poor review score average coming from Newegg customers.

Good luck with the replacement power supply and RAM.

I guess I'll try that as I have no clue on how to proceed.

[Basic Desktop Questions]

Budget: 1000-1400 I guess + Canada

Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest: Gaming - 5

Monitor Resolution: 1600 x 900, don't really see a need to get a bigger one.

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Need to run the latest stuff at 60fps at least. (PhysX / SuperSampling / CUDA) don't think these things have anything to do with 60 FPS so I guess it doesn't matter.

Looking to reuse any parts?: Not reusing anything.

When will you build?: As soon as possible.

Will you be overclocking?: Never done it before so no.

As you can see I basically need a new gaming PC. Other things I have to add; from the videos I've seen + prices it seems like the GTX 960 or Radeon R9 380 would be good choices for the video card, the videos showed them mostly running things at 50-60 fps at 1080p (I guess at my res they will run a bit better since it's lower than 1080p).

I also need a SSD and HDD since I want to put Windows OS and games on the SSD for faster load times. Apparently this SSD is supposed to be pretty good.

For the CPU I read that intel CPUs are the best now, I basically need one of those ones that are good for gaming I guess. I'd also like 16GB of RAM but I don't know which ones good/bad.

Things I have absolutely zero clue about include the case/motherboard/power supply/disc drive that can read cd/dvd/blu ray (if those even exist). I'm not sure if that covers everything or not, there's so many parts it feels like I'm always forgetting about something.

Also I heard that sites like NCIX.com have some kind of service where they put the PC together for you then ship it to you if you buy all the parts there.

Is that recommended or should I receive the parts then take it to someone for them to put it together? I just want to know if online preassembling has a bad reputation or not if I have them build it or if it's better to have a local business do it.

I appreciate any help that anyone can give me.

You're right that you don't need quite as much GPU performance to reach 60FPS on your 1600x900 monitor compared to 1080p, but a stronger graphics card can keep maintaining a high enough framerate at the latest games than a weaker graphics card and won't need to be replaced/upgraded as quickly, and/or can do it at higher graphics settings.

Yes, Samsung SSDs are good in general and Intel CPUs are recommended. On your budget 16GB of RAM is definitely possible to get, we will figure out recommendations for you. As for the rest of the parts, this is where a website like ca.pcpartpicker.com comes in. It's handy for referencing prices and keeping track of parts lists.

Yes, NCIX offers assembly. If you're worried about sloppy assembly or the PC being shipped to you in a non-working state, the product page for their assembly service does state that they will "assemble your PC, then test to ensure that no parts were DOA (dead on arrival) before shipping to you". There's also user reviews and comments at the bottom of the page, most of which appear to be positive. It could save time if you just have the parts delivered for someone to locally assemble it for you, of course. If you have a friend willing to help you with it, that's even better as you can oversee the assembly and learn a bit more about PC hardware.

How does this parts list look? It meets all of your stated needs.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($278.26 @ Vuugo)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B150M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($115.00 @ Vuugo)
Memory: G.Skill NT Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($110.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($113.26 @ Vuugo)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($67.26 @ Vuugo)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 380 4GB SOC Video Card ($297.95 @ Vuugo)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($57.99 @ NCIX)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($69.88 @ Canada Computers)
Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($75.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($128.00 @ shopRBC)
Total: $1314.56
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-27 02:31 EST-0500

If I may ask, are you planning to watch blu-ray movies with this PC? You will need to get additional software for playing back blu-ray discs. Otherwise if you're just planning to rip movies, you won't need that.

Brandon F

you sure ram are getting the right voltage for that clock? have you tried setting it manually)

If I can even boot into bios, I'd stick to 2133mhz just for stability and never touch any sense profile again, but I cannot get anything to display on my monitor at all after boot. For all I know the ram is fine but the bios is unhappy with whatever xmp has done and it can't recover no matter how many times I clear cmos. Ugh...

Seems it could be a Z170 issue, or ASUS, or Corsair based on all sorts of similar reports. Who knows right now...

Firestorm

NCIX's assembly option is great. Their cable management is ace and you don't need to worry about troubleshooting DOA parts. If you live in Vancouver or Toronto you can also just pick it up at your nearest store instead of shipping. I would recommend it. I have used it three times now (myself, cousin, father).

Ok, so I asked for help a week or two back and got great advice, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I've been going back and forth on whether I wanted to go a bit bigger, since this is the first time in over a decade I'll have a current pc. So here's where I stand right now, and will probably make the call later on today:

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($399.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z170M Pro4S Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($99.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($67.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Toshiba 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($67.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card ($651.56 @ B&H)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($66.50 @ Newegg)
Total: $1508.87
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-27 03:59 EST-0500

Any thoughts before I finally dive in?

knitoe

If I can even boot into bios, I'd stick to 2133mhz just for stability and never touch any sense profile again, but I cannot get anything to display on my monitor at all after boot. For all I know the ram is fine but the bios is unhappy with whatever xmp has done and it can't recover no matter how many times I clear cmos. Ugh...

Seems it could be a Z170 issue, or ASUS, or Corsair based on all sorts of similar reports. Who knows right now...

Have you got it boot with just 1 stick of ram? Did you update to the latest bios?

With some thriftier parts selection, you can get a build with a GTX 970 for nearly the same cost as the GTX 960 build you had earlier.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($174.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H-A Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($41.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Mushkin ECO2 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($309.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $670.71
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-26 18:03 EST-0500

So first timer here.
Dont know anything really.
On the previous few pages bomblord gave me a solid looking build but I have to say this one looks more promising and features a 970.
Can someone re-review it for me and let me know if it will do what id like which is essentially run most of todays games at 1080/60 as well as run dolphin/and PS2 emulation.
And if possible also reccommend me a dvd drive as well as let me know where I should be getting my OS.
Thanks.

dorxan

Neo Member
Hey PCtechGAF,
I have this fairly old PC (i5 2500k @4,4GHz/GeForce 560ti/8GB DDR3 RAM 1600MHz). The plan was to upgrade it when the next series of GPUs come out. My video card died this morning though, so right now I'm not sure what to do.

Should I get a budget card and wait till September for a proper replacement, or should I just get a GTX 970 now and be done with it?
I'm more inclined towards the first option, because I'm bothered by the idea of paying near full price for a card when we're so close to the launch of a new series... but I'm also worried my CPU might be a bottleneck for future mid-high end cards.

Burkatron81

Been away for a few days, could someone help out with the below?:-

Hi all, so my friend has just told me he is buying the below system. He has a budget of £600 and will be using it mostly for gaming and general web use, however i have a feeling he may be making a rash decision going the APU route? Could anyone advise if there will be much bang for the buck with this setup, and if not maybe even offer alternatives? He’s based in the UK.

Chassis: Sharkoon VG4-W Gaming Series (Green)
CPU: AMD A10-7870k Quad Core APU 3.9ghz & Radeon R7 Series Graphics
Motherboard: ASUS A88XM-PLUS
RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury Dual DDR3 1600mhz (2x8gb)
GPU: See CPU
SSD: 240GB Kingston V300 SSD
HDD: Already has one
PSU: Corsair 350W VS-350 PSU
Cooling: Corsair H55 Hydro Series
Optical: Standard 24/8x CD/DVD

Thanks in advance.

Yudoken

This doesn't seem right, for that budget you definitely should get a pc with a decent gpu and cpu.
If you're not afraid of getting a good used pc 2nd hand you can get way better parts than new.
You don't even need to build it, just look for a pc for a pc with an i5 cpu and a decent gpu on sites like craigslist.

I really can't help you choosing the parts because I live in Europe.

bomblord1

Banned
So first timer here.
Dont know anything really.
On the previous few pages bomblord gave me a solid looking build but I have to say this one looks more promising and features a 970.
Can someone re-review it for me and let me know if it will do what id like which is essentially run most of todays games at 1080/60 as well as run dolphin/and PS2 emulation.
And if possible also reccommend me a dvd drive as well as let me know where I should be getting my OS.
Thanks.

The biggest problem with that build is it's using an older CPU that doesn't support DDR4 ram. If you are deadset on a 970 you could swap it out in the build I gave you but it would increase the price GPU's can be put in any build that has a big enough PSU and an open PCI-E slot

You could check out the Buy Sell Trade Thread someone's selling a 970 fairly cheaply over there.

KooopaKid

Banned
Last night I played The Witness using my "old" VGA monitor (via an adapter connected to my GTX 960 4Go) and it looked perfect to me. Would buying an HDMI monitor change the visual quality that much?

LordAlu

Seems like a lot of money. You could certainly get something that performs better and is much more "future-proof" than that, for example:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (£164.99 @ Ebuyer)
Motherboard: Asus B150M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£65.99 @ Ebuyer)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (£71.82 @ More Computers)
Storage: Crucial BX200 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£49.99 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card (£89.99 @ Novatech)
Case: Thermaltake Versa H15 MicroATX Mid Tower Case (£28.50 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£44.17 @ Amazon UK)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer (£12.98 @ Novatech)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) (£74.94 @ Aria PC)
Total: £603.37
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-27 14:42 GMT+0000

You could even get rid of the graphics card for now and get a better board or an aftermarket CPU cooler. If you decided to get Windows via Reddit (see RGM's disclaimer regarding buying a Windows licence via Reddit) you could save even more or put that towards improvements.

bomblord1

Banned
Last night I played The Witness using my "old" VGA monitor (via an adapter connected to my GTX 960 4Go) and it looked perfect to me. Would buying an HDMI monitor change the visual quality that much?

VGA technically supports 1080p/60 however you're looking at the difference between a digital and analog signal. An HDMI running to the same monitor at the same resolution should technically give a better picture. It's a bit of an oversimplification but think of the difference between a .JPG and a .PNG of the same image (the difference isn't exactly that extreme but it can still be noticeable). I also believe HDMI supports a wider color gamut.

For more info I suggest this article http://www.cnet.com/news/hdmi-vs-displayport-vs-dvi-vs-vga-which-connection-to-choose/

The old-school VGA connector is a cable of last resort. It's not too common anymore, and hardly ever found on TVs. A recent e-mail asked about it, so I'm including it.

Don't use VGA, not if you can help it. While it is capable of fairly high resolutions and frame rates, it's an analog signal. You're not likely to get a pixel-perfect image with today's LCD monitors (hence why you'd use DVI).

Even ignoring all of that a newer monitor would more than likely give you a better picture just due to newer technologies like IPS and LED backlights.

Brandon F

It's not promising, but it seems that from Newegg's user reviews, several others have noted hardware issues with the Asus Maximus VIII Hero motherboard failing days to months after putting together their computer. Go here, click on the reviews, then sort by "lowest rated". It's unfortunate, but overall the motherboard seems to have a poor review score average coming from Newegg customers.

Good luck with the replacement power supply and RAM.

Yikes! This is now dwindling my confidence that the RAM is the culprit, and rather it is just a junk mobo.

At least if I need to replace or get a new one, I am still within the refund/return window for RMA ease. Still, the prospect of reassembling everything on a new board while dealing with returns and exchanges then reaching out to MS to re-verify my copy of Win 10 on the swapped mobo...feh.

I guess I should start considering new mobo options. I'll read more newegg reviews on popular ones, thanks for your help. I guess I will know tonight for sure when the new ram arrives.

knitoe

I am using Asrocks optimized OC presets and my fan is in performance mode.
[Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO]

xZXP4eI.png

I am using Asrocks optimized OC presets and my fan is in performance mode.

CPU-Z doesn't show much. Download and run HWinfo, link in OP, in "Sensor only". Then, run a stress test. HWinfo will show us your min, Max and current VCore, temps and etc.

KooopaKid

Banned
VGA technically supports 1080p/60 however you're looking at the difference between a digital and analog signal. An HDMI running to the same monitor at the same resolution should technically give a better picture. It's a bit of an oversimplification but think of the difference between a .JPG and a .PNG of the same image (the difference isn't exactly that extreme but it can still be noticeable). I also believe HDMI supports a wider color gamut.

For more info I suggest this article http://www.cnet.com/news/hdmi-vs-displayport-vs-dvi-vs-vga-which-connection-to-choose/

Even ignoring all of that a newer monitor would more than likely give you a better picture just due to newer technologies like IPS and LED backlights.

Ok thanks. Really I have no complaints with VGA at the moment so I think I'll keep my monitor (Yeah less pollution!)

Smash88

Banned
Sort of posted this problem in The Division thread, but apparently the new Nvidia drivers are causing my GPU to pop up the notification safely remove hardware and eject media. I have a 980Ti, Windows 10 Pro. Others are reporting the same issue, I'm surprised Nvidia didn't notice this obvious bug.

I was wondering if there is a way to remove it? Through brute force maybe?

Blitzhex

Sort of posted this problem in The Division thread, but apparently the new Nvidia drivers are causing my GPU to pop up the notification safely remove hardware and eject media. I have a 980Ti, Windows 10 Pro. Others are reporting the same issue, I'm surprised Nvidia didn't notice this obvious bug.

I was wondering if there is a way to remove it? Through brute force maybe?

Lol, getting the same problem, same setup.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
What are the easiest and best ways to reduce noise coming from my case? I record myself on a microphone and I need complete silence in the room.

I have a Fractal R3, so it already comes with sound-absorbing foam, but it's nowhere near enough. Any suggestions?

KevinG

This is my first time building a PC (technically I built one around Vista in 2007, but it was for a class). Built this PC for work, mainly for video processing and Photoshop work.

Bounced everything off of several people who have experience building gaming PCs, and got thumbs up from all of them.

This is my trial run, kind of, because I intend to build a personal gaming PC one day in the future.

How would this build stack up if I were to, hypothetically, mess around with a few games during my breaks?

Work PC:

Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor

Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory

Sandisk SSD PLUS 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Gigabyte Radeon R9 380 4GB SOC Video Card

Thermaltake SMART 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
Edit: Thinking about this: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LcVc23 . Anything I could change to that is good $/performance that I'm not aware of? Would my current RAM and Power supply be fine for it?

Been mostly playing console and lower end PC games, but it's time for an upgrade.

Mostly need a solid CPU/Motherboard/Video Card recommendation (I think I'd prefer Intel for cpu), as well as what SSD is models are good. Also whether or not to stick with my current RAM (8gb), and power supply (550w modular) - models are on the pcpartpicker link below.

Your Current Specs: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Yz7Xxr

Budget: US. ~$600-700 for CPU/Motherboard/VideoCard/SSD/Power supply(if needed).

Main Use: Going to mostly be using for gaming, game design, and some emulation. I'd like to be able to play newer games over the next few years at 1080p/30fps locked, 60fps being nice. Don't care about it being "Ultra Quality"/all the visual bells and whistles.

Monitor Resolution: 1080p. Don't anticipate going higher than that anytime soon

When will you build?: Likely February, but I am in no hurry if it is worth waiting until March

Will you be overclocking?: Yes

Thorgal

something weird is happening .

Whenever i am downloading a game on steam and i am going on youtube to watch something or doing something other internet related , there is a 70% chance my PC BSOD.

Now i am not a PC tech wizard ,but even i doubt it is normal to get a BSOD like this .

i can safely rule out drivers as iv'e gone through 3 different drivers and the problem persists .

any help would be appreciated .

Thorgal:

Does the BSOD only happen when you're doing BOTH things (YouTube and downloading)? Also, is your Steam install directory on the same drive as your OS?

Depends on what you mean by fast , but i definitely would not say it is slow .

Ok let me tell you why I'm asking. If you have a ton of bandwidth (I'm talking 300+ megabit down), you could actually outpace your drive's write speed. It seems less likely given you're using an SSD, but I have definitely had the issue before where my whole system locked up for a few seconds. Never got a BSOD though, and I think Steam will actually pause downloads to give your drive time to write now.

You're right that you don't need quite as much GPU performance to reach 60FPS on your 1600x900 monitor compared to 1080p, but a stronger graphics card can keep maintaining a high enough framerate at the latest games than a weaker graphics card and won't need to be replaced/upgraded as quickly, and/or can do it at higher graphics settings.

Yes, Samsung SSDs are good in general and Intel CPUs are recommended. On your budget 16GB of RAM is definitely possible to get, we will figure out recommendations for you. As for the rest of the parts, this is where a website like ca.pcpartpicker.com comes in. It's handy for referencing prices and keeping track of parts lists.

Yes, NCIX offers assembly. If you're worried about sloppy assembly or the PC being shipped to you in a non-working state, the product page for their assembly service does state that they will "assemble your PC, then test to ensure that no parts were DOA (dead on arrival) before shipping to you". There's also user reviews and comments at the bottom of the page, most of which appear to be positive. It could save time if you just have the parts delivered for someone to locally assemble it for you, of course. If you have a friend willing to help you with it, that's even better as you can oversee the assembly and learn a bit more about PC hardware.

How does this parts list look? It meets all of your stated needs.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($278.26 @ Vuugo)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B150M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($115.00 @ Vuugo)
Memory: G.Skill NT Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($110.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($113.26 @ Vuugo)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($67.26 @ Vuugo)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 380 4GB SOC Video Card ($297.95 @ Vuugo)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($57.99 @ NCIX)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($69.88 @ Canada Computers)
Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($75.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($128.00 @ shopRBC)
Total: $1314.56
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-27 02:31 EST-0500

I really appreciate you picking out these parts for me. There's one thing I'm wondering about however. I noticed that for the power supply, Bluray/DVD/CD drive and the RAM that they aren't available on NCIX.com.

After looking at that assembly link you provided I'm convinced that the $50 is a pretty good value for putting all the parts together but I think that only works if I order all of the parts from them.

Is there a comparable power supply, Bluray/DVD/CD drive and RAM that you can recommend that are available on NCIX.com? I don't mind going over $1400 if necessary. I think if I can get those locked down then I can go for that assembly option which would be the best possible solution for me I think.

Again, I really appreciate the help I'm receiving here. It's really making this a smooth experience so far.

If I may ask, are you planning to watch blu-ray movies with this PC? You will need to get additional software for playing back blu-ray discs. Otherwise if you're just planning to rip movies, you won't need that.

I don't have any immediate plans but I figured it would be nice to have if I want to watch Bluray movies or something later down the road. I'll keep the software note in mind as well.

NCIX's assembly option is great. Their cable management is ace and you don't need to worry about troubleshooting DOA parts. If you live in Vancouver or Toronto you can also just pick it up at your nearest store instead of shipping. I would recommend it. I have used it three times now (myself, cousin, father).

It's good to hear that they're pretty reliable. If I'm buying a SSD and HDD, will they know to automatically install the OS on the SSD?

Thorgal

The weirdest part of the BSOD is that it is not reproducible .

After the crash and reboot , it downloads just fine no matter what i am doing no crashes BSOD nothing ..

Brandon F

So I've had it with my Asus Maximus board the last few days. Trying to verify what is going on with this thing and why it refuses to POST has left me drained and at my wits end. I am just going to send it back to Amazon before the refund period closes and get a different brand (regardless if my new RAM works or not tonight). The Asus forums are rife with a massive thread detailing users experiencing the same issues as me.

Any thoughts on the Gigabyte G1 Z170 Gaming 7? I have a Gigabyte 970GTX and am unsure if there is ANY perks to staying within brand on use. That or MSI are my current considerations for my i7-6700k chip.

Also, when I swap the Mobo should I reinstall Win 10 all over again? I only just installed it 2 weeks back with the Asus mobo, so my OEM key is already used, but I assume Windows will require me to jump through hoops to prove that it is the same PC if I keep the current installation. Just unsure what to anticipate or what is recommended when swapping mobo on Win 10(I shouldn't have to purchase ANOTHER OEM key right??)

Finally, how problematic will it be to use different branded DDR4 RAM? Assuming my ASUS board is at fault for all my POST-less boot issues and not the RAM, I would now have a set of Kingston and Corsair(with similar timings 2666 vs 3000) that would be nice to pair together in the Mobo, but I fear problems with multiple brands.

Love to hear thoughts and sorry for the long rant. Sorry Asus, two-weeks of barely any use and the extreme errors I have gotten out of the blue are enough!!!

bomblord1

Banned
Finally, how problematic will it be to use different branded DDR4 RAM? Assuming my ASUS board is at fault for all my POST-less boot issues and not the RAM, I would now have a set of Kingston and Corsair(with similar timings 2666 vs 3000) that would be nice to pair together in the Mobo, but I fear problems with multiple brands.

As far as this goes as long as the timings and pins/type are the same there shouldn't be a problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom