• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RGM79

Does anyone have a link to the post about booting/installing Windows from a USB stick? Will Windows 10 boot for a trial period before I get my product key?

Here you go. Windows 10 can be installed without being activated, but instead of a grace period before you are required to activate, Windows 10 will have reduced functionality and require a reboot every 6 hours.

Is there currently a ~$200 gfx card that would be a major upgrade from a Radeon 7850? I was looking at the benchmarks on Anandtech, and see that both the R290X and R390 are 2-2.5x the performance, but I'm not looking to spend ~$300 on a card right now...I've always bought ATI/AMD cards, but I'm not totally opposed to picking up a Nvidia card.

There's the R9 380 and GTX 960, both of which start at $170~190 for the 4GB variants. Those first two links go to performance comparisons with the 7850. You get a decent performance boost, but it's not huge for the money you would be spending. Unfortunately there's a sizable performance gap between the GTX 960 / R9 380 and the GTX 970 / R9 390. No GPUs offer anything in between at the $250 price spot. If possible, spending $300 on an R9 390 or GTX 970 would be better use of your money and represent a bigger performance upgrade.

Maybe you should look around and see if you can find a used R9 290, R9 390, or GTX 970? I don't know how much a used R9 290 goes for now but it performs just a bit lower than the R9 390 and used to be as cheap as $230 new before they were discontinued. Sometimes a brand new entry level GTX 970 can be had for around $250 at a really good sale or discount, like whatever promotion jet.com is running. Occasionally there are cheap secondhand GTX 970 cards up for sale in gaf's B/S/T thread.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Ended up building my pc that I had questioned about a few weeks ago. Been gaming with tomb raider, firewatch, and rocket league maxed put at 4k with pretty smooth framerates. Very happy with the build.

vhlcTEp.jpg
Is that the silver or dark gray case?

I was indecisive about which color to get, but ended up with the silver one. It's alright. :]

LilJoka

Also, I want to install Windows 10 on the SSD, so should I unwire the HDD for that, because of the bootloader data?

You should if an existing bootloader exists on the HDD, as the new Win 10 entry will end up being installed there which causes an issue of you remove the HDD at a later date.

You should if an existing bootloader exists on the HDD, as the new Win 10 entry will end up being installed there which causes an issue of you remove the HDD at a later date.

There is nothing installed on the system. I simply will unwire the HDD, no harm done by doing so ^^

I have an 8GB Corsair XMS3 piece of RAM free as my new server doesn't take it and I was thinking about putting it in my PC.

I have two 4GB Crucial Ballistix Tracers in my PC at the moment, will they play nice together?

LilJoka

I have an 8GB Corsair XMS3 piece of RAM free as my new server doesn't take it and I was thinking about putting it in my PC.

I have two 4GB Crucial Ballistix Tracers in my PC at the moment, will they play nice together?

Try it and see. It's not going to break anything.
We need model numbers of both to help you further.

Try it and see. It's not going to break anything.
We need model numbers of both to help you further.

I would just test it but I wanted to make sure as it'll be a pain to move a fan off the heatsink to get to the DIMM.

EDIT: Upon further inspection I may be able to squeeze it in under the fan.

If a power supply calculator says that the worst case scenario would be 422W, is a 550W PSU perfect? Or should I be looking a bit higher(650 for example) for peak efficiency?

Whats the specs?

Well after all my budget posturing I've decided to go for the I7 6700 anyway. :p

The full specs will be:

Intel Core I7 6700 CPU 3.4Ghz
2x 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz RAM
1x Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD
1x WD Blue 1TB 2.5" 5400rpm drive
ASRock H170M ITX/AC LGA1151 DDR4 mITX Motherboard
The case will have 1x 200mm fan, and 2x 80mm fan.

I currently don't have a GPU listed as I'm waiting for Pascal before buying a dedicated. But when I did my calculation I just put a 980ti in as safety measure. Although you'd hope Pascal might be more energy efficient.

RayStorm

I just bought this computer. I plan on upgrading the HDD and adding a 1GB (or close, maybe 960) SSD, and maybe throwing in the 2TB from my current rig and running them in RAID, but I honestly don't even know the advantages of that anymore it's been so long since my main PC actually had room for more than one HDD... I don't want to spend over $250 for the SSD, maybe $300 if it came with a game I want, I don't know why the more expensive models are better, I've never had an SSD. Is this a good one?

Usually people tend to recommend either Samsung or Crucial SSDs, but in reality, if you are only used to HDDs any kind of SSD will feel significantly faster.
What storage option did you chose for the HP? And what are you planning on doing with that once you buy an SSD? In that setup RAID (assuming you want it for speed and not redundancy) has little advantage, as you would use your mechanical HDDs mostly to store files and not to install programs/games.

Nevermind it already comes with DDR4 RAM but I'm not sure the exact speed.

I guess your question about changing the RAM has thus been solved?

I guess I need to dig up the specs of both computers before someone can really help me.

That would certainly be helpful.

Ok would there be any major bottle necks if I replace the Radeon with a GTX 660 in this setup...

Dell XPS 630i
Nvidia nForce 650i Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Q6600 Quad-Core 2.4GHz Processor
500GB HDD
320GB HDD
4GB OCZ Platinum 800MHz DDR2 RAM
Sapphire ATI Radeon 4870 512MB

Also my current rig CPU is i7-3770 3.4 GHz Quad Core processor, 8GB RAM... not sure what speed or even what speed my motherboard can handle...

Personally I find the fear of bottlenecks a bit ridiculous, but anyway: The C2Q for gaming is certainly on its last legs, but still, depending on the resolution and graphics settings a better GPU can provide ample benefits. I would argue, before you just throw it away, there is literally no harm in using it there. In fact you will likely see handsome benefits for doing so.

Now the alienware, due to its small case and PSU you are limited in choices. There are three things to consider for a new GPU: a) physical size b) power consumption c) fan configuration. Apparently you can fit some GTX 970s in it which would make this still a very capable system. But I will refer you to google for specifics.

LilJoka

Well after all my budget posturing I've decided to go for the I7 6700 anyway. :p

The full specs will be:

Intel Core I7 6700 CPU 3.4Ghz
2x 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz RAM
1x Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD
1x WD Blue 1TB 2.5" 5400rpm drive
ASRock H170M ITX/AC LGA1151 DDR4 mITX Motherboard
The case will have 1x 200mm fan, and 2x 80mm fan.

I currently don't have a GPU listed as I'm waiting for Pascal before buying a dedicated. But when I did my calculation I just put a 980ti in as safety measure. Although you'd hope Pascal might be more energy efficient.

i7 6700 95W
980TI 300W
Rest 100W
500W is fine, go for 550/600/650W depending on model/features etc.

You want atleast 500W on the 12v rail, that's 500/12=42A. So as long as the PSU has atleast 42A on its 12v rails (combined if multiple 12V rails), then that PSU is sufficient. The rest depends on what you care about, bronze vs gold for higher efficiency, warranty, voltage regulation, modular.

John Wick

When I upgrade my processor, should I go for 5820k, 6700k or wait for the next model?

Depends what your looking for and if your gonna overclock. I have the 5820K which has six cores and makes a massive difference in multi-threaded applications. I've given it a mild overclock at the moment. Down the line I'll push it to about 4.2ghz and it'll make a difference. Right now it's fast enough even at stock speeds. I personally would go for the 5820K.

John Wick

If a power supply calculator says that the worst case scenario would be 422W, is a 550W PSU perfect? Or should I be looking a bit higher(650 for example) for peak efficiency?

I always buy a beefier PSU as it'll power your current and maybe next PC. I'd go minimum 750W.

i7 6700 95W
980TI 300W
Rest 100W
500W is fine, go for 550/600/650W depending on model/features etc.

You want atleast 500W on the 12v rail, that's 500/12=42A. So as long as the PSU has atleast 42A on its 12v rails (combined if multiple 12V rails), then that PSU is sufficient. The rest depends on what you care about, bronze vs gold for higher efficiency, warranty, voltage regulation, modular.

Thanks, the one that I was set on buying is a Seasonic G-Series 550W 80PLUS . I was just under the impression that with PSU's you should aim for a fair amount of headroom for peak efficiency and I thought 550 might be cutting it a bit fine.

LilJoka

Thanks, the one that I was set on buying is a Seasonic G-Series 550W 80PLUS . I was just under the impression that with PSU's you should aim for a fair amount of headroom for peak efficiency and I thought 550 might be cutting it a bit fine.

That PSU is fine. If you plan to overclock the GPU then I would get a 650W, something like the Corsair RMx650. Or if available SUPER FLOWER LEADEX PLATINUM 650W. Or EVGA G2 series.

You could run that list off a decent 450W really. My estimate is over exaggerated already. 65W CPU, 300W GPU, rest 20-30W is more accurate to true consumption.

kennah

Tuesday night a software engineer friend is going to come over and we are going to install custom RGB LED lighting in my case, controlled by Arduino and a software widget. Fucking stoked.

Can someone help me with memory?

I have an Asus P8Z68-V with i5-2500K @ 4.5ghz and 8gb of DDR3 1600. I've been wanting to bump up to 16gb for awhile. Another 8gb of 1600 is about $55, but I decided I might as well just do 16gb of 2133 at $80-90 after seeing the Digital Foundry piece that shows around an 8fps boost with the faster memory.

So my question is, what the hell is the difference in all these memory sticks I'm seeing on Amazon? For example, G.Skill Ares and G.Skill Sniper seem to have identical specs, 2x8gb, 2133, 1.6v, CL 10, but Ares is almost $10 less. Then there's another G.Skill Ares with CL 11 that actually costs more. Wtf? G.Skill site is useless for explaining the differences.

Do I need to worry about voltage? Does 1.6 just means it draws less power than the usual 1.65 sticks?

And finally, would I get better performance if instead of replacing my 2x4 (1600) with 2x8 (2133), I just added another 2x4 (1600)? I don't get the whole dual/quad channel stuff.

Bradf50

Ended up building my pc that I had questioned about a few weeks ago. Been gaming with tomb raider, firewatch, and rocket league maxed put at 4k with pretty smooth framerates. Very happy with the build.

vhlcTEp.jpg

nhZiMp6.jpg

Lovely build. Great job, bet it runs so nice with the 2 980ti's!

I finished my build yesterday, same case as you. Only one 980ti for now though. Really happy with how it went. :)

Here's some pics. Apologies for the pants quality.

LilJoka

Can someone help me with memory?

I have an Asus P8Z68-V with i5-2500K @ 4.5ghz and 8gb of DDR3 1600. I've been wanting to bump up to 16gb for awhile. Another 8gb of 1600 is about $55, but I decided I might as well just do 16gb of 2133 at $80-90 after seeing the Digital Foundry piece that shows around an 8fps boost with the faster memory.

So my question is, what the hell is the difference in all these memory sticks I'm seeing on Amazon? For example, G.Skill Ares and G.Skill Sniper seem to have identical specs, 2x8gb, 2133, 1.6v, CL 10, but Ares is almost $10 less. Then there's another G.Skill Ares with CL 11 that actually costs more. Wtf? G.Skill site is useless for explaining the differences.

Do I need to worry about voltage? Does 1.6 just means it draws less power than the usual 1.65 sticks?

And finally, would I get better performance if instead of replacing my 2x4 (1600) with 2x8 (2133), I just added another 2x4 (1600)? I don't get the whole dual/quad channel stuff.

First 2 kits are the same as you noted, RRP price difference was only $3, thats due to the heatsink design (aesthetics).
Last kit is slower, its priced wrong, its Amazons fault, they arent exactly a proper component shop.

Lower the voltage the better.

Last point, no, 4 sticks would still be dual channel on you platform. Harder to get the RAM running at 2133Mhz with 4 modules vs 2. Also remember its not guaranteed to run at 2133Mhz, the Intel Memory Controller on the CPU needs to be up for the job, its rated for 1600Mhz. So be prepared to tweak the memory controller voltage at least if XMP fails.

Question! I have an 8gig stick of this DDR3 ram:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231527

Eventually I'm going to buy another stick since I'm sure I'll need 16 eventually but I'm good with 8 for now. My question is, is the price more likely to go up or down for this? If it'll go up I'll buy it now, but I'm fine waiting if it'll drop eventually.

Regarding RAM it is difficult to say, it can go up or down, depends of the situation if the world market and the raw materials prices.

LtOrange

I built my PC around three weeks ago and have experienced zero issues with it until today. I was browsing the internet until it just shut off and now won't turn on. The case lights and fans turn on, but it won't boot to the bios and my mouse/kb are not lighting up. How do I figure out what exactly has gone wrong.......

I built my PC around three weeks ago and have experienced zero issues with it until today. I was browsing the internet until it just shut off and now won't turn on. The case lights and fans turn on, but it won't boot to the bios and my mouse/kb are not lighting up. How do I figure out what exactly has gone wrong.......

Double check all connections, particularly power cables. Clear the CMOS (see manual).

Are you overclocking at all? Specs?

First 2 kits are the same as you noted, RRP price difference was only $3, thats due to the heatsink design (aesthetics).
Last kit is slower, its priced wrong, its Amazons fault, they arent exactly a proper component shop.

Lower the voltage the better.

Last point, no, 4 sticks would still be dual channel on you platform. Harder to get the RAM running at 2133Mhz with 4 modules vs 2. Also remember its not guaranteed to run at 2133Mhz, the Intel Memory Controller on the CPU needs to be up for the job, its rated for 1600Mhz. So be prepared to tweak the memory controller voltage at least if XMP fails.

Awesome, thank you!

Flaxh

You don't need to mount it too high. I see that the fan is in the way of an unused RAM slot, that's fine. Move the fan down to its normal position so the airflow blows at the heatsink fins. Don't worry too much about the few millimetres of the RAM module sticking up in front of the fan.

Made some changes to the rig. First, moved down the fan like you suggested:

sJS8u1D.jpg

Also took off the middle cage, moved the SSD to the bottom cage and the front fan to the highest slot.

4G1f7Yd.jpg

I highlighted my fans with red circles and fan slots with blue ones. Should I get more fans? Now I get 30ºC when I start the PC but after a while it goes to 40/43 with 9 or 10 tabs opened on Chrome. I'm gonna buy some thermal paste this week and apply it.

John Wick

I finished my build yesterday, same case as you. Only one 980ti for now though. Really happy with how it went. :)

How the fuck did you get the wiring so tidy? That looks mint!

On second examination I've got a lot more stuff in my PC but still that is a tidy build

Bradf50

How the fuck did you get the wiring so tidy? That looks mint!

Haha thank you! Took me a little while but to be fair the case helped out massively with the shroud covering the power supply and all its cables. It's my first pc build however so I'm really happy with it. :)

LilJoka

Made some changes to the rig. First, moved down the fan like you suggested:

sJS8u1D.jpg

Also took off the middle cage, moved the SSD to the bottom cage and the front fan to the highest slot.

4G1f7Yd.jpg

I highlighted my fans with red circles and fan slots with blue ones. Should I get more fans? Now I get 30ºC when I start the PC but after a while it goes to 40/43 with 9 or 10 tabs opened on Chrome. I'm gonna buy some thermal paste this week and apply it.

Let's check some things
On the Hyper 212, did you apply the included thermal paste?
What method did you use to apply the paste?
Can you see the shiny sticker on the CPU fan, confirming it is blowing air over the Heatsink?
Did you tighten the hyper 212 screws as far as they go? They will hit metal stops where you can't go any further.

paskowitz

You are probably going to want a 1000w PSU if you go SLI 980 Ti (especially with an X99 CPU and the GB Xtreme).

I'm a little concerned with my PSU. It's a corsair TX750M. I've installed all my components, seems to be running fine, but the fan on the PSU looks like it's trying to spin up but it just buzzes and doesn't spin up. My load should be pretty low relative to the PSU's capacity. Only running a 95W CPU (AMD 1090T), two platter hard drives and a 560ti, 2 system fans. Should I be worried? I know that the Corsair units only spin up on load but I feel like it should at least start spinning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom