• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

th3dude

On this page, someone's linked to a cheap deal on a Zotac GTX 970. Otherwise, there are these two moderately higher end models, the MSI Gaming 4G and Gigabyte G1 Gaming. Both are $310 after rebate at Newegg. Both are factory overclocked and feature moderately higher speeds than the Zotac, but can still be overclocked a bit further if you wanna do some tweaking yourself. The MSI is somewhat quieter, being a twin fan model that can turn off its fans at low temperature to run silently. The triple fan Gigabyte model has a large cooler that has more headroom for handling heat from overclocking, but doesn't have that quiet fanless mode. Not to imply the MSI model can't handle more heat or the Gigabyte model is always loud, though. Look up some reviews if you want.

The R9 390 is the AMD competitor. Here's a list of them, the first bunch of cards on that list are quite good even being the cheaper models (except for XFX R9-390P-8BD6). AMD started a new promotion today that bundles the Hitman game with their R9 390 cards, and in general they come in somewhat cheaper than the GTX 970.

Awesome info. Thank you!

Hikami

Hey guys, first time building a PC here.. is this any good?
I got most of these parts from some random site then edited some of them, just wondering if this would fit together well or if I could change anything for something better.
Just looking to run modern games at 1080p/60fps. Medium to High settings is fine, I don't need Ultra graphics or whatever. I can barely run recent games on Low now with my i3/GTX 860m. It's an alienware alpha so I can't just upgrade it sadly, need to build one from scratch.

Case: Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-02 Mid Tower Gaming Case - $59.99
Graphics: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB - $209.99
Motherboard: MSI ATX DDR3 2400 LGA - $94.99
CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 BX80646I54590 Processor - $198.99
Power Supply: EVGA 600 B1 80+ BRONZE, 600W - $44.99
RAM: Kingston HyperX FURY 8GB 1866MHz DDR3 - $34.99 (x2)
Already have some HDDs from an older PC.

Comes out to $678.93, looking to stay under $800 and get the parts from Amazon preferably.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Been experiencing a strange problem with my fans lately. Every time I start my computer, the fans are REALLY loud. I have to tap my case a few times before they quiet down. But after an hour or so they start ramping up very loud again, and it continues like this until I either tap my case a few times or turn the system off.

Are they just dusty or do I need completely new fans?

I have a Rosewill Challenger case. If I were to buy new fans, which ones should I go for?

Thoughts?

RGM79

Hey guys, first time building a PC here.. is this any good?
I got most of these parts from some random site then edited some of them, just wondering if this would fit together well or if I could change anything for something better.
Just looking to run modern games at 1080p/60fps. Medium to High settings is fine, I don't need Ultra graphics or whatever. I can barely run recent games on Low now with my i3/GTX 860m. It's an alienware alpha so I can't just upgrade it sadly, need to build one from scratch.

Case: Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-02 Mid Tower Gaming Case - $59.99
Graphics: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB - $209.99
Motherboard: MSI ATX DDR3 2400 LGA - $94.99
CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 BX80646I54590 Processor - $198.99
Power Supply: EVGA 600 B1 80+ BRONZE, 600W - $44.99
RAM: Kingston HyperX FURY 8GB 1866MHz DDR3 - $34.99 (x2)
Already have some HDDs from an older PC.

Comes out to $678.93, looking to stay under $800 and get the parts from Amazon preferably.

You could get Intel's newer Skylake parts.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($204.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B150M MORTAR Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($69.84 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 380 4GB SOC Video Card ($204.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Silverstone PS08B (Black) MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $649.79
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-22 23:31 EST-0500

Case choice is kinda subjective, so feel free to look for another case or keep the one you picked already.

Hikami

You could get Intel's newer Skylake parts.

Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($69.84 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 380 4GB SOC Video Card ($204.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Silverstone PS08B (Black) MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $649.79
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-22 23:31 EST-0500

Case choice is kinda subjective, so feel free to look for another case or keep the one you picked already.

Perfect, thanks!
I just wanted any case with a window on it, doesn't look that one has one? I'll go with the other one I had in that case, thanks again.
edit: Oh, guess I should've also stated I preferred Nvidia cards. Mostly due to shadowplay but there are some other things I prefer from them.
What would be the Nvidia equivalent to that Radeon R9 380?

How is it that the i7-4790K has a benchmark score of 11216, whereas the i7-6700k has a benchmark score of 11021.

I already have a 4670k and thus a LGA-1150 mobo, so I'd prefer to simply upgrade the CPU to a 4790k, rather then do both mobo + CPU with the 6600k. Are there any benefits to the latter?

RGM79

Perfect, thanks!
I just wanted any case with a window on it, doesn't look that one has one? I'll go with the other one I had in that case, thanks again.
edit: Oh, guess I should've also stated I preferred Nvidia cards. Mostly due to shadowplay but there are some other things I prefer from them.
What would be the Nvidia equivalent to that Radeon R9 380?

Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 960 4GB AMP! Edition Video Card ($194.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair Carbide SPEC-M2 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($45.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $650.79
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-23 00:01 EST-0500

There, I tweaked the parts list to accommodate what you wanted. The Nvidia equivalent is the GTX 960, which you were already looking at.

You have more than enough money in your budget to accommodate a GTX 970, for example. I'd recommend it to be able to better attain 60FPS in most games you'll be playing. For some of the latest and most intense games, a GTX 970 would be preferable over a GTX 960 for 60FPS. For example, a GTX 960 will only get you a bit over 30FPS for Rise of the Tomb Raider and The Witcher 3 on high settings at 1080p.

Alternatively hold on to the GTX 960 for now and wait for Nvidia's new Pascal graphics cards to come out.

How is it that the i7-4790K has a benchmark score of 11216, whereas the i7-6600k has a benchmark score of 11021.

I already have a 4670k and thus a LGA-1150 mobo, so I'd prefer to simply upgrade the CPU to a 4790k, rather then do both mobo + CPU with the 6600k. Are there any benefits to the latter?
4790k turbos to 4.4ghz stock, 6700k turbos to 4.2ghz. And there is probably some variance in the measurements anyway... either way clock for clock the 6700k is a bit ahead (but not enough to warrant upgrading from the 4790k, that's for sure).

Anyway, about your other question. If you already have an 1150 setup and you want to get an i7 then go for the 4790k, for sure. The 6600k/6700k platforms will offer some extra features and a bit of IPC improvement but that's about it. I'd 100% get the 4790k if you are set on upgrading.

Hikami

Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 960 4GB AMP! Edition Video Card ($194.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair Carbide SPEC-M2 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($45.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $650.79
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-23 00:01 EST-0500

There, I tweaked the parts list to accommodate what you wanted. The Nvidia equivalent is the GTX 960, which you were already looking at.

You have more than enough money in your budget to accommodate a GTX 970, for example. I'd recommend it to be able to better attain 60FPS in most games you'll be playing. For some of the latest and most intense games, a GTX 970 would be preferable over a GTX 960 for 60FPS. For example, a GTX 960 will only get you a bit over 30FPS for Rise of the Tomb Raider and The Witcher 3 on high settings at 1080p.

Alternatively hold on to the GTX 960 for now and wait for Nvidia's new Pascal graphics cards to come out.
Many thanks :)

I think I'll go ahead and stick with the 960 for a while then and upgrade it later.

4790k turbos to 4.4ghz stock, 6700k turbos to 4.2ghz. And there is probably some variance in the measurements anyway... either way clock for clock the 6700k is a bit ahead (but not enough to warrant upgrading from the 4790k, that's for sure).

Anyway, about your other question. If you already have an 1150 setup and you want to get an i7 then go for the 4790k, for sure. The 6600k/6700k platforms will offer some extra features and a bit of IPC improvement but that's about it. I'd 100% get the 4790k if you are set on upgrading.

Sweet, thanks for the info. I'm contemplating upgrading as some future games I'm interested in might have a bottleneck in my 4670k. I might look into overclocking first...hm.

holygeesus

Banned
Finally got round to installing my Noctua NHD-15 heatsink and fan today, after waiting for my new CPU to arrive and yes it is a behemoth! I'm kinda worried about the pressure it must be making on my motherboard, as they make them so thin nowadays.

Installation was pretty simple, but even though I deliberately bought low profile RAM, I still can only use one of the included fans as if you install the second one, it blocks the fastest PCI socket on the board - poor. You also might not want to mess up where you put the RAM (as I did) as there is like 3-4mm clearance after installing the heatsink, so getting them out is a task and a half! Also, make sure you have a long ass screwdriver, or install it already in your case, as reaching the corner motherboard screw holes is a ball-ache, unless you have girly hands.

That aside, I'm pretty impressed with the performance, bearing in mind I had to ditch the second fan - the 6700k seems to idle at 21-22c and hits 65c when under load. Not remarkable performance when taxed, if I'm honest, but damn my system is quiet - so quiet, that I had to check every fan in the system to make sure they were working! Ditching mechanical drives also helps massively in this regard.

So yeah, not amazing performance cooling wise IMO but silent, so swings and roundabouts - I could probably create a custom fan profile and get those load temps down with minimal noise increase I think.

All in all, content.

RGM79

Finally got round to installing my Noctua NHD-15 heatsink and fan today, after waiting for my new CPU to arrive and yes it is a behemoth! I'm kinda worried about the pressure it must be making on my motherboard, as they make them so thin nowadays.

Installation was pretty simple, but even though I deliberately bought low profile RAM, I still can only use one of the included fans as if you install the second one, it blocks the fastest PCI socket on the board - poor. You also might not want to mess up where you put the RAM (as I did) as there is like 3-4mm clearance after installing the heatsink, so getting them out is a task and a half! Also, make sure you have a long ass screwdriver, or install it already in your case, as reaching the corner motherboard screw holes is a ball-ache, unless you have girly hands.

That aside, I'm pretty impressed with the performance, bearing in mind I had to ditch the second fan - the 6700k seems to idle at 21-22c and hits 65c when under load. Not remarkable performance when taxed, if I'm honest, but damn my system is quiet - so quiet, that I had to check every fan in the system to make sure they were working! Ditching mechanical drives also helps massively in this regard.

So yeah, not amazing performance cooling wise IMO but silent, so swings and roundabouts - I could probably create a custom fan profile and get those load temps down with minimal noise increase I think.

All in all, content.

What motherboard do you have? Did you install it with the fans horizontal rather than vertical?

Sweet, thanks for the info. I'm contemplating upgrading as some future games I'm interested in might have a bottleneck in my 4670k. I might look into overclocking first...hm.

In that case, if I were you I'd just crank it to 4.2ghz+ and enjoy your current CPU. It's plenty fast. You're almost certainly better off setting aside the money for a GPU upgrade instead of going to the 4790k. What video card do you have now? And CPU cooler?

In that case, if I were you I'd just crank it to 4.2ghz+ and enjoy your current CPU. It's plenty fast. You're almost certainly better off setting aside the money for a GPU upgrade instead of going to the 4790k. What video card do you have now? And CPU cooler?

Just got a 970 this weekend and I have a H80 for cooling.

Afro

Just got my all black Manta as well. Totally worth the price because it feels premium. It's a fingerprint magnet unfortunately .

4eaJZsS.jpg

That looks mean. So sleek and minimal. I can see how the front could be a fingerprint magnet, though.

M3z_

Manta is a gorgeous case, I really want one, but been thinking about getting a m.2 raid setup and itx boards don't have 2 m.2 slots. Really like that case though, almost want to build a small rig just to have one.

Afro

This Red Dragon is the greatest budget mouse of all-time, easily. Feels incredibly comfy and grippy. So smooth at 144hz. Great buy. Definitely doesn't feel like a $14 mouse. The LEDs are a bit bright so I covered the side ones w/ electrical tape b/c i was too lazy to de-solder.

Even thinking about buying a backup.

amazon link

Guys.
Now the case is here.
Tomorrow the final 3 ingredients arrive and ill be building my first PC.
Educate me on drivers gaf.
After I assemble what do I need to be downloading for full functionality?
Do you need my parts list to inform me first?

Also please provide links

deoee

After years of use I finally want to upgrade my i5-2500 (non K sadly) to Skylake - I have the oppurtunity to get the following relatively cheap:

Motherboard:MSI ATX DDR4 Z170-A PRO
CPU: i5-6600k
RAM: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 2666MHz DDR4

And getting a decent air cooler for the CPU.

I already got the following:
Storage: OCZ Triton 150 480 GB
Graphics: Palit Jetstream GTX 970 OC.

Before I make the purchase, I'd like to hear your opinions on this.
Yes I know there is the 6700k, but I can not justify 120€ more (here in Germany) for the extra threads, just because I will mainly be gaming on this rig and don't see going to anything like 144hz in the near future.

Thank you in advance guys :)

holygeesus

Banned
What motherboard do you have? Did you install it with the fans horizontal rather than vertical?

It's a MSI Gaming Z170A M5. I'm not gonna lie I didn't realise you even could install it with the fans vertical! There's just one horizontal fan on there at the moment so nothing even blowing directly on the CPU which makes the temps even more impressive at idle. Had them at room temp earlier.

Mine is set up as in this link http://www.hardwareheaven.com/2014/09/noctua-nh-d15-review-2/

I'm wondering now if I can get two fans on it if I align it so the fans are blowing towards the back of the case. Not sure.

I can't find a single 2x8GB ram kit that matches the QVL for the Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3. How often do ram sticks just not work? I want to buy locally (MemoryExpress.ca).
At JEDEC specs probably 9 out 10 will work. When you want to turn on XMP or manually overclock them, it's a different matter.

I have a Z170 ROG board and nearly all the kits tested on the QVL list are for 4 slots. I simply bought a 2x8 corsair kit and hoped for the best. It worked on the Hero so why not the Ranger. I do know that the Pro Gaming board from Asus can not use this kits XMP profile.

Have you taken a look at the socket after mounting it? It looked kinda scary to me. But the manual from Noctua just tells you to keep turning the screws until they stop. They do have springs to stop overtightening but for someone who hasn't used the mechanism before I was a little worried.

holygeesus

Banned
Have you taken a look at the socket after mounting it? It looked kinda scary to me. But the manual from Noctua just tells you to keep turning the screws until they stop. They do have springs to stop overtightening but for someone who hasn't used the mechanism before I was a little worried.

Yeah it doesn't seem to warp or anything so I think it's safe. I'm at work at the moment so can't picture the inside of my case but there must be a reason I orientated it the way I did. I think there is a small fan over the chipset on the MSI board but I might see if I can change it so the fans blow the same way as the top rear fan on my case with the 2nd fan directly above the RAM. I can't remember why I didn't try that way first though. Might be reseating it tonight!

teokrazia

I'm considering to upgrade to a 5820K with 16 GB.
Any advice about RAM type and frequency, motherboard and cooler?
I would like to overclock it for daily use.

bomblord1

Banned
I'm considering to upgrade to a 5820K with 16 GB.
Any advice about RAM type and frequency, motherboard and cooler?
I would like to overclock it for daily use.

Why would a 5820K need OC'd for daily use? I'm assuming you are referring to things like web browsing and maybe some light photo editing etc.

teokrazia

Why would a 5820K need OC'd for daily use? I'm assuming you are referring to things like web browsing and maybe some light photo editing etc.

ROTFL, sorry.
I was meaning to squeeze some peformance for gaming.

I know that a 6600K would be better for merely play games, but I'm going to do alot of video editing, so the 5820K looks like the better choice.

I don't know if this question pertains to the scope of the thread but I thought I'd ask.

So I have Window 10 on my machine. I've had it since release via the upgrade program from Windows 7.

Now just recently I switched up the motherboard in my PC with a replacement and now I get a constant message in the bottom right corner to activate windows. I completely forgot that your windows serial is tied to your hardware if you choose to replace major components. Well anyway, I got in contact with MS support via Windows 10 start menu and they basically said the only way to fix this is to go through the Windows 7 upgrade process again.

Surely there has to be a way? I don't want to install Windows 7 again and go through the whole process just because I changed the motherboard.

Afro

I don't know if this question pertains to the scope of the thread but I thought I'd ask.

So I have Window 10 on my machine. I've had it since release via the upgrade program from Windows 7.

Now just recently I switched up the motherboard in my PC with a replacement and now I get a constant message in the bottom right corner to activate windows. I completely forgot that your windows serial is tied to your hardware if you choose to replace major components. Well anyway, I got in contact with MS support via Windows 10 start menu and they basically said the only way to fix this is to go through the Windows 7 upgrade process again.

Surely there has to be a way? I don't want to install Windows 7 again and go through the whole process just because I changed the motherboard.

They're bullshitting you. I had Windows 10 (upgraded from Win8.1), swapped my motherboard, and a dude from Microsoft re-activated my license on my new setup. Just keep asking until you get the right person. It's completely unprofessional. First guy I got on MS support said "nope" and ended the chat while I was mid-sentence. Second guy said "yes, no problem!"

Been getting annoyed with my BenQ G2420 being pretty much useless without software calibration (which then doesn't come over into full screen games so end up being completely washed out) and looking around for a new monitor. As much as I'd like G-Sync I don't think my budget can stretch to a decent monitor with it in. Currently looking at the Dell u2414h, but does anyone have any recommendations for around £200-250 max? 1080p 60hz is fine for me, but if a decent 120/144hz is out there I'd take a look.

They're bullshitting you. I had Windows 10 (upgraded from Win8.1), swapped my motherboard, and a dude from Microsoft re-activated my license on my new setup. Just keep asking until you get the right person. It's completely unprofessional. First guy I got on MS support said "nope" and ended the chat when I was mid-sentence. Second guy second "yes, no problem!"

Thanks. It's strange because I even pointed the guy to a statement from their VP that we can contact MS support in these sort of situations to resolve the issue but he was still adamant that there was nothing he could do.

I'll keep on trying until I get someone who can actually help.

RGM79

It's a MSI Gaming Z170A M5. I'm not gonna lie I didn't realise you even could install it with the fans vertical! There's just one horizontal fan on there at the moment so nothing even blowing directly on the CPU which makes the temps even more impressive at idle. Had them at room temp earlier.

Mine is set up as in this link http://www.hardwareheaven.com/2014/09/noctua-nh-d15-review-2/

I'm wondering now if I can get two fans on it if I align it so the fans are blowing towards the back of the case. Not sure.

According to the Noctua compatibility guide, there should be no problems mounting the NH-D15 on the MSI Z170A M5. They have actually tested the cooler with hundreds of motherboards, or at least measured the dimensions and usually mention if the cooler ends up blocking a PCI-E slot. I assume they mount the cooler with the fans vertical (blowing toward the back of the case) because the cooler itself is not a perfect square, it is more rectangular. As you can see in the scale drawing, if the cooler is mounted with the fans blowing toward the back, the cooler is 150mm "wide". If you orient it with the fans blowing up/down as in the Hardware Heaven review, then the cooler is 161mm "wide" and could obstruct a PCI-E slot.

Roarer

Thinking about doing a major upgrade in the coming 12 months and I'm curious about my Windows 10 license.

I upgraded my Win7 OEM license to Win10 a few months ago. Now, if I were to change HDD, mobo etc after the 12 month free Windows 10 upgrade offer expires, how would I go about installing Windows 10 on the new rig? Is my old Win7 product ID automatically registered as a Win10 ID? I think I heard someone say it's tied to the hardware, does that mean that I would need a new Win10 license for the new rig?

TheExodu5

Banned
Can I SLI different branded GPUs?

I have an EVGA GTX680. There's an Asus GTX 680 for sale for $160 CAD.

I told myself I'd never bother going SLI again, but a GTX 970 is about $500 CAD. This would be a pretty good stop gap while waiting for Pascal.

Still too early for 4K. Lots of games struggle with the 980 Ti in 2-3 Way SLI. 120-144Hz refresh rate is way better than 4K @ 60Hz too.

1440p @ 120-144Hz is the sweet spot for top end right now, IMO.
Thank you! Do you think G-sync would be mandatory or any nice 120/144Hz monitor would do just fine?

RGM79

Thinking about doing a major upgrade in the coming 12 months and I'm curious about my Windows 10 license.

I upgraded my Win7 OEM license to Win10 a few months ago. Now, if I were to change HDD, mobo etc after the 12 month free Windows 10 upgrade offer expires, how would I go about installing Windows 10 on the new rig? Is my old Win7 product ID automatically registered as a Win10 ID? I think I heard someone say it's tied to the hardware, does that mean that I would need a new Win10 license for the new rig?

Yes, your Windows 7 license was changed into a WIndows 10 license. Just reinstall as usual. You already used the upgrade offer, you don't need to do it again.

Can I SLI different branded GPUs?

I have an EVGA GTX680. There's an Asus GTX 680 for sale for $160 CAD.

I told myself I'd never bother going SLI again, but a GTX 970 is about $500 CAD. This would be a pretty good stop gap while waiting for Pascal.
You can. Try to get them running at the same clock speeds, using MSI Afterburner or something similar. A long while back, I believe someone was running into some microstutter issues with SLI and his two dissimilar-branded Nvidia cards were apparently running at different clock speeds.

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm thinking GSync probably won't play too nicely with SLI...I expect micro stutter galore. Still...if I can manage a GTX 680 for $160, I think I'll pull the trigger.

holygeesus

Banned
According to the Noctua compatibility guide, there should be no problems mounting the NH-D15 on the MSI Z170A M5. They have actually tested the cooler with hundreds of motherboards, or at least measured the dimensions and usually mention if the cooler ends up blocking a PCI-E slot. I assume they mount the cooler with the fans vertical (blowing toward the back of the case) because the cooler itself is not a perfect square, it is more rectangular. As you can see in the scale drawing, if the cooler is mounted with the fans blowing toward the back, the cooler is 150mm "wide". If you orient it with the fans blowing up/down as in the Hardware Heaven review, then the cooler is 161mm "wide" and could obstruct a PCI-E slot.

Thanks yeah, to conclude my Noctua adventure - I realigned the whole heatsink, so it blows the air towards my exhaust fan at the top of my case, and by doing so, it allowed me to add the 2nd fan just above my Ram.

The results - idle is pretty much at ambient temp, so 17c, and under load the spread across all 4 cores is just 48-50c which is a massive damn improvement and very respectable considering it's just air cooling and I honestly cannot hear the fans.

So the Noctua gets the thumbs up here. One thing I would say - I wish they would spend a little less money on their packaging, and give you more than a tiny blob of thermal paste. I don't use a lot, and I barely had enough for two adhesions, which is a bit tight really. Nit-picking though now.

Could somebody be so kind to recommend a modest GPU for around £150-£200. I'll mainly be playing older games.

Honestly find it hard to settle on any given card based on their specs as I'm not sure what the difference in real world output would be.

I looked at both XFX Radeon R9 380 Double Dissipation 4GB GDDR5 and SAPPHIRE Radeon R7 370 NITRO 4GB GDDR5 for example but can't determine how much better the R9 380 is really likely to be -- although the price difference is next to nothing.

Also, I notice the difference in price between 2GB and 4GB versions of cards is usually marginal. Is the extra memory's effect on performance negligible or what?

It really doesn't matter. I'd get these
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX57070

Nice low timings, and colour matches your motherboard

At JEDEC specs probably 9 out 10 will work. When you want to turn on XMP or manually overclock them, it's a different matter.

I have a Z170 ROG board and nearly all the kits tested on the QVL list are for 4 slots. I simply bought a 2x8 corsair kit and hoped for the best. It worked on the Hero so why not the Ranger. I do know that the Pro Gaming board from Asus can not use this kits XMP profile.

Thanks!

One last question, has anyone ever reused their Hyper 212? I bought mine to use with my i5 2500 and it sounds like it should be useable with the i5 6600K with some new thermal paste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom