• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

th3dude

Question for anyone that's redeemed an Nvidia/uPlay promotion code:

I redeemed my code on Nvidia for my free copy of The Division a while ago, but there is no evidence anywhere on the uPlay site that I own/will own the game. Not in my library and also not in any order history page.

Will it show up and if so where?

TheExodu5

Banned
How can 200fps add to fluidity when the monitor is not capable of displaying that many frames?

He's playing in a competitive scenario and without v-sync. Higher framerate will offer a small advantage in terms of latency and tearing reduction. Hovering around the monitor's refresh rate is never good for tearing.

so I'm kinda torn on upgrade path right now with Oculus/Vive + Pascal.

My rig is overclocked i5-2500k + ASUS P8Z68-V. No issues there, it seems despite the age of the processer. Should be fine. 8gb of good ram.

Need to put in a new USB 3.0 card for Oculus but got that (actually, I need to make sure it fits...)

The real question is -what is the right strategy for GPU upgrade?

Part of me thinks i should just pull the trigger on a 980ti and upgrade my currently 600w power supply (I think with the overclock on the CPU it'd be pushing it).

The other part of me says just buy a 970 for now, and upgrade the GPU again with Pascal (and then do the power supply if needed)... part of me thinks the 970 will be fine for now.

We're in the same boat. 2500K and 680 here. Except I'm in Canada. I'm personally going to wait for Pascal. A 970 is too small of an improvement from my 680, and the 980 Ti is over $1000 with taxes in Canada, which is hard to justify.

I redeemed my code on Nvidia for my free copy of The Division a while ago, but there is no evidence anywhere on the uPlay site that I own/will own the game. Not in my library and also not in any order history page.

There has been issues with Nvidia/Uplay promo's, I had this issue with AC: Syndicate. Hit up Nvidia customer's support.

bomblord1

Banned
He's playing in a competitive scenario and without v-sync. Higher framerate will offer a small advantage in terms of latency and tearing reduction. Hovering around the monitor's refresh rate is never good for tearing.

Why can't he just turn on vsync if he's running a 120fps monitor and consistently over?

e90Mark

Why can't he just turn on vsync if he's running a 120fps monitor and consistently over?

V-Sync and mouse movements probably wouldn't be the best. The potential lag from vsync could put you at a disadvantage for a competitive FPS where you need to react fast.

bomblord1

Banned
V-Sync and mouse movements probably wouldn't be the best. The potential lag from vsync could put you at a disadvantage for a competitive FPS where you need to react fast.

Maybe it's just my ignorance talking but at 120fps it doesn't seem like it would make a difference in even a competitive scenario.

So... I ended up pulling the trigger on all of this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (Purchased For $211.00)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (Purchased For $29.74)
Motherboard: MSI Z170A GAMING M5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (Purchased For $179.00)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory (Purchased For $67.99)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $147.00)
Case: NZXT S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $74.99)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $79.99)
Total: $789.71
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-24 10:08 EST-0500

Gonna wait to buy my GPU and just build a very nice machine right now. Hopefully those pascal cards are out soon though.... I'm really tempted to get a 970, but I don't want to regret purchasing something like that.

EDIT: if I bought a 970 right now, would I regret it in 6 months?

th3dude

There has been issues with Nvidia/Uplay promo's, I had this issue with AC: Syndicate. Hit up Nvidia customer's support.

In case anyone comes across this issue as well - I contacted Nvidia support and they did something on their end, but I still didn't see the game on my uPlay account through the web site.

Then the rep mentioned that it will only show up in the uPlay client, which I thought was weird, but they were right. 'The Division' pre-order is in my uPlay client.

TheExodu5

Banned
Maybe it's just my ignorance talking but at 120fps it doesn't seem like it would make a difference in even a competitive scenario.

It's a huge difference. Not everyone is sensitive to this, but I for one am.

If you have no buffer and are rendering at roughly 120fps your input lag will be small, but that's usually not the case.

Triple buffer adds a full frame of lag, and the faster you're rendering, the more lag gets added on top of that since the frame becomes stale by the time it gets to the monitor.

Vsync off is a requirement for competitive shooters. GSync will solve the issue of tearing and lag, but even then, you're better off running ULMB over GSync.

bomblord1

Banned
It's a huge difference. Not everyone is sensitive to this, but I for one am.

If you have no buffer and are rendering at roughly 120fps your input lag will be small, but that's usually not the case.

Triple buffer adds a full frame of lag, and the faster you're rendering, the more lag gets added on top of that since the frame becomes stale by the time it gets to the monitor.

Vsync off is a requirement for competitive shooters. GSync will solve the issue of tearing and lag, but even then, you're better off running ULMB over GSync.

Right but 1 frame of lag at 120fps is .0083 of a second which is 12x faster than the fastest recorded human reaction time ever.

I'll just drop it I don't game competitively like that so I'll assume there is something here I don't understand.

Bloodember

The OC didn't reset but the hour/month/year did reset.

I tried hooking a 360 to the monitor and it works.

Btw, I can now see and enter the BIOS, only if I start the PC with HMDI on TV only.
If I start with the TV and monitor, it doesn't show the BIOS and goes directly to Windows.

If I try to connect the monitor while I have the TV via HDMI on screen goes black for a sec (the usual when connecting a new output) but then nothing happens. (screen still works on TV, monitor does nothing).

Sadly, I don't have any other DVI cable.
Have you reseated the card yet? If not do that. If it still does it, it sounds like the card is the issue, you best bet to make sure of that is to try a different cable and also a different card in the machine.

Ferr986

Have you reseated the card yet? If not do that. If it still does it, it sounds like the card is the issue, you best bet to make sure of that is to try a different cable and also a different card in the machine.

Thanks. I got it to work. Turns out both my two DVI cables don't work (either that, or the DVI from the monitor doesn't work, I hope this is not the case but...). I tried an VGA cable with a DVI adapter and it works.

It's friggin weird because everything started to happening just after replacing the RAM and it doesn't make much sense.

I ordered another DVI cable to test it. VGA looks bad :(

I also ordered a new card (not because this , I was going to upgrade anyways) and now I'm scared as shit because I totally expect to have problems again when I install it lol

OraleeWey

Right but 1 frame of lag at 120fps is .0083 of a second which is 12x faster than the fastest recorded human reaction time ever.

I'll just drop it I don't game competitively like that so I'll assume there is something here I don't understand.

On my 144hz monitor, I turn on VSYNC on CSGO and I never notice any input lag. On my 60FPS monitor, I notice it and I'm very sensitive to it. To the point where I don't perform well. I'm not competitive though, but still notice it. So, I guess I agree with you... If you're playing 120fps plus and have VSYNC on, you're probably not going to notice. Anecdotal.

TheExodu5

Banned

Reaction times are not the same as perceiving input delay. I guarantee you I can pick out a GSync and vsync monitor at 144Hz by input delay alone.

ACE 1991

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (Purchased For $29.74)
Motherboard: MSI Z170A GAMING M5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (Purchased For $179.00)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory (Purchased For $67.99)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $147.00)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $79.99)

Gonna wait to buy my GPU and just build a very nice machine right now. Hopefully those pascal cards are out soon though.... I'm really tempted to get a 970, but I don't want to regret purchasing something like that.

If you play this game you'll never end up buying anything. Newer and better parts are always just around the corner.

e90Mark

Agreed with the above poster.

Consider buying one used off here as a stop gap? They pop up in the BST every so often. Hell, I may even have one.

BorntoPlay

Finally my upgrade is complete!!!, i got a GTX 970 for $236 with Rise of the Tomb Raiders game code, ( I hope not regret it when pascal come out )...

My complete build:

Core i5-6500 3.2Ghz (OC 4.0Ghz) CPU
Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 2666MHz RAM
evga NVIDIA GTX 970 4GB SSC Graphics Card
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD
Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB HHD
Cooler Master Hyper TX3 CPU Cooler
Cooler Master CM 690 Case
Corsair TX850 Power Supply
Lite-On IHAS124-04 24X RW Dual Layer Drive

20160223_202405_2.jpg

RGM79

Thanks man, found most of them for around that price :) Was offered a MSI 780ti by a friend, for €275. Better value while I wait for the pascal GPUs to drop?
If you'll be upgrading for sure, go for it. With the money saved, you can opt for a better looking case, an even larger SSD, a modular power supply, or perhaps that desk or monitor you need.

Manp

Finally my upgrade is complete!!!, i got a GTX 970 for $236 with Rise of the Tomb Raiders game code, ( I hope not regret it when pascal come out )...

My complete build:

Core i5-6500 3.2Ghz (OC 4.0Ghz) CPU
Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 2666MHz RAM
evga NVIDIA GTX 970 4GB SSC Graphics Card
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD
Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB HHD
Cooler Master Hyper TX3 CPU Cooler
Cooler Master CM 690 Case
Corsair TX850 Power Supply
Lite-On IHAS124-04 24X RW Dual Layer Drive

good ol' CM690...

:)

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
In that case I would probably just buy a 980 Ti and be done with it. You're fine with a 600W power supply, even with your CPU overclocked (unless it's a really crappy PSU).

it's 80+ (bronze, I think?) corsair gs600.

was a stupid best buy purchase when the gold power supply from new egg blew the first night just to get up and running again. #nopatience

jony_m

everytime i try to deinstall the physx driver it installs the driver again wtf is happening

edit: changed to dvi and now only a black screen

You may have already fixed this. I had a similar issue on a 980ti (random black screen for 1-2 seconds) and for me it was the Nvidia HD audio drivers... I uninstalled all the Nvidia drivers with DDU and installed only video drivers via custom install.

Also, revert any overclocks or even down-clock the card a bit to see if it helps. good luck.

I'm gonna pick up an MSI 970 100ME (5% off coupon on newegg today that makes it $330 with a $20 rebate. Upgrading from my 7970

MSI Z77 MPOWER
i7 3770k
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
Cooler Master Silent Pro M - 1000W
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB
ASUS 24X DVD Burner
ADATA XPG SX900 2.5" 256GB SSD
also have 2 HDDs

This is my current build inside a Cooler Master Haf 932 case

I, 100% decided, want to downsize my case size and weight. Anyone have any recommendations for a great mid size case with cable room and build quality that will be smaller and under 20 lbs?

Could I fit into a Corsair Carbide Series Air 540? also looking at ENERMAX iVektor ECA3310A-W White and Phanteks Enthoo Pro M PH-E515PA_BK // Phanteks PH-ES515P_BK Black Steel // Phanteks PH-ES515P_TG Titanium Green Steel

Looking to replace my ASUS P8Z77-V LK and would like some suggestions on getting a good mobo.

Currently my specc are:

i5 3570k oc'd to 4.7 ghz
gtx 980ti
16gb ram
w10

Manp

Exactly, that's the only thing i didn't need to upgrade....XD

still using this beauty on my second PC:

eQoELLT.jpg

too bad i can't get crossfire to work under linux :|

it doesn't make cable management particularly easy since it is an old school case on many fronts (lacks space on the back of the motherboard tray, no pass through rubber thingies), but i still think it looks gorgeous :)

i have another one just like yours that i'm going to paint white when i'll have some free time :D

RGM79

I'm gonna pick up an MSI 970 100ME (5% off coupon on newegg today that makes it $330 with a $20 rebate. Upgrading from my 7970

MSI Z77 MPOWER
i7 3770k
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
Cooler Master Silent Pro M - 1000W
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB
ASUS 24X DVD Burner
ADATA XPG SX900 2.5" 256GB SSD
also have 2 HDDs

This is my current build inside a Cooler Master Haf 932 case

I, 100% decided, want to downsize my case size and weight. Anyone have any recommendations for a great mid size case with cable room and build quality that will be smaller and under 20 lbs?

Could I fit into a Corsair Carbide Series Air 540? also looking at ENERMAX iVektor ECA3310A-W White and Phanteks Enthoo Pro M PH-E515PA_BK // Phanteks PH-ES515P_BK Black Steel // Phanteks PH-ES515P_TG Titanium Green Steel

The NZXT S340 is great for cable management and mid-tower size as it has a PSU shroud cover and room to route and tie down cables. No optical drive bays though, dunno if that's very important to you. The Fractal Define S is a great case as well, good airflow and noise muffling foam and also lots of room for cable management, even the hard drives mount on the side of the case, and it also omits optical drive bays. It does just about weigh 20 pounds, though.

Are you gonna be moving the PC around often or something? Perhaps you need carrying handles too?
I'm trying to connect my R6250 router to my current router in WIRED bridge mode. Any suggestions?

What's the model of the other router, what are you trying to set up, and what do you specifically need bridge mode for? You should be able to just connect one to the other and it'll work, unless you specifically only want bridging. I know the all-in-one router and modem devices that certain ISPs offer can be crappy and have locked down settings (Telus kept telling me that bridge mode was enabled when it was locked away and unchangeable), is that what you're dealing with?

So with those speccs, I could play Quantum Break at a decent settings?

Changing your motherboard doesn't change your PC's performance. Processor and graphics card is what matters. You already have a very good processor (overclocked i5 3570K) and the strongest single graphics card (GTX 980 Ti) on the market. It more than meets the official requirements for Quantum Break.

mkenyon

Banned
So with those speccs, I could play Quantum Break at a decent settings?
Looked up sys requirements. Recommended is a 4690 (non K) and a GTX 970.

Your OC'd 3570K is faster than a 4690. Your 980 Ti is faster than a 970.
The NZXT S340 is great for cable management and mid-tower size as it has a PSU shroud cover and room to route and tie down cables. No optical drive bays though, dunno if that's very important to you. The Fractal Define S is a great case as well, good airflow and noise muffling foam and also lots of room for cable management, even the hard drives mount on the side of the case, and it also omits optical drive bays. It does just about weigh 20 pounds, though.
Just a heads up, the Phanteks Eclipse is coming out next month, and looks like it'll be the value case to beat.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...thQ6qv7_ozZ6Efn5myfk8aAnz58P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

They're also heavily discounting some others

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811854019

RGM79

Looked up sys requirements. Recommended is a 4690 (non K) and a GTX 970.

Your OC'd 3570K is faster than a 4690. Your 980 Ti is faster than a 970.

Just a heads up, the Phanteks Eclipse is coming out next month, and looks like it'll be the value case to beat.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...thQ6qv7_ozZ6Efn5myfk8aAnz58P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

They're also heavily discounting some others

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811854019

Yep, looking forward to that. I really like the looks, and it seems to be a bit better than the Define S (which I own) in terms of hard drive accommodation. For my own case, I sort of don't like how much empty space there is next to the motherboard, it could have had a shallower depth or maybe made better use of the empty space rather than being like a cost-cut version of the Define R5 with all the drive cages missing.

mkenyon

Banned
How can 200fps add to fluidity when the monitor is not capable of displaying that many frames?

Anyway you're going to want an all around upgrade. If I had to guess the GPU? might give you the biggest boost but you really need to upgrade your CPU, GPU, and Mobo to something better. If you plan on playing the division (at all) and plan on getting 200+ fps in counter strike go you are going to need it.

Your CPU does not meet the minimum for the Division and your GPU is just barely above the minimum and not even close to the recommended.
I think what the person is saying is that lets say you're getting a 120fps average on a 120 Hz monitor. You'll have a large number of frames that go well above 8.3ms when displaying, perhaps even large chunks that go above that threshold.

When you see "200 fps" displayed in whatever FPS counter you're using on screen, chances are you're going to have a pretty solid experience with your screen spitting out images as fast as it can.

In addition to that, games poll input based on frames rendered, so you have a more precise polling method for input with a higher frame rate (or lower frame time).
It does for me, and I'm not even that good. It's a necessity for comp players for sure.

BorntoPlay

still using this beauty on my second PC:

eQoELLT.jpg

too bad i can't get crossfire to work under linux :|

it doesn't make cable management particularly easy since it is an old school case on many fronts (lacks space on the back of the motherboard tray, no pass through rubber thingies), but i still think it looks gorgeous :)

i have another one just like yours that i'm going to paint white when i'll have some free time :D

You paint it black? that look great!, Maybe I have do the same...=D

Gaf I gotta talk about this.
As you all know I built my first PC yesterday over an 8 hour period and it was pretty much documented in endless stream of posts in the last few pages of this thread.

I literally bled for that PC(i cut myself on an edge)

Well just now not even a minute ago I just played my first 1080/60 PC fps.
I get it gaf.
I mean holy shit i sucked ass as ive never used a kb/m combo but at least I still scored some kills.
It was fucking glorious and it was just meh settings by pc standards but good god am I happy I finally joined the party.
Also if anyones curious I played ghost in the shell first assault.
I just gotta acclimate to the kb/m now.

bomblord1

Banned
Gaf I gotta talk about this.
As you all know I built my first PC yesterday over an 8 hour period and it was pretty much documented in endless stream of posts in the last few pages of this thread.

I literally bled for that PC(i cut myself on an edge)

Well just now not even a minute ago I just played my first 1080/60 PC fps.
I get it gaf.
I mean holy shit i sucked ass as ive never used a kb/m combo but at least I still scored some kills.
It was fucking glorious and it was just meh settings by pc standards but good god am I happy I finally joined the party.
Also if anyones curious I played ghost in the shell first assault.
I just gotta acclimate to the kb/m now.

Hehe hey good for you. Now upgrade your monitor and begin the endless quest to keep up with the best. Even consoles have 1080p 60 games after all :p

Hehe hey good for you. Now upgrade your monitor and begin the endless quest to keep up with the best. Even consoles have 1080p 60 games after all :p

G-sync?
I think im goin G-sync.

Also i just ordered the red dragon mouse that was recommended in another thread.
Any good starter keyboards youd recommend?
And finally i think i need to open my pc back up to double check front wiring.
Im getting no headphones to register on my front headphone/mic ports.

Would those be onboard with the HD audio connection?
Im seeing no loose ones i missed so im not sure what the deal is.
My front panel wiring included
HD audio
USB
power switch/reset
power led +/-
And all are connected

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom