• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
Is there anything that I can buy off the shelf that's respectable for under 850 ?

Pheace

This is going to sound pretty noobish but I have to ask anyway,

I'm planning to upgrade my computer to be able to stream properly, and from what I can tell the absolute clear result there is to get an I7 (hyperthreading). So I'm going to update my current outdated AMD system (Phenom II 1090t), motherboard/cpu/ram, and that'll end me up with an I7 CPU and an ATI HD7970 videocard.

I was streaming Fallout 4 the other day and that was hitting 100% cpu regularly, then I realized I was using a CPU heavy codec, changed to H.264 and now it's running under 100% CPU pretty much most of the time (at least at the reduced graphics settings I'm using).

Now my noobish question is, surely I'll see an increase in FPS from this upgrade, despite not hitting 100% CPU currently, won't I? I'm basically expecting to go from a system that has trouble running/streaming the latest games to being able to stream anything my videocard can handle. Does that sound about right or am I about to waste a ton of money for nothing?

(purposely leaving out RAM etc from the question as no doubt I'll see an improvement going from DDR2 to DDR3/4, sata 300->600 on my SSD etc)

theRizzle

I'm planning to upgrade my computer to be able to stream properly, and from what I can tell the absolute clear result there is to get an I7 (hyperthreading). So I'm going to update my current outdated AMD system (Phenom II 1090t), motherboard/cpu/ram, and that'll end me up with an I7 CPU and an ATI HD7970 videocard.

I was streaming Fallout 4 the other day and that was hitting 100% cpu regularly, then I realized I was using a CPU heavy codec, changed to H.264 and now it's running under 100% CPU pretty much most of the time (at least at the reduced graphics settings I'm using).

Now my noobish question is, surely I'll see an increase in FPS from this upgrade, despite not hitting 100% CPU currently, won't I? I'm basically expecting to go from a system that has trouble running/streaming the latest games to being able to stream anything my videocard can handle. Does that sound about right or am I about to waste a ton of money for nothing?

(purposely leaving out RAM etc from the question as no doubt I'll see an improvement going from DDR2 to DDR3/4, sata 300->600 on my SSD etc)

Coming from a Phenom II 1090t, yes. You should see a large difference. According to CPU Boss, you should be seeing "double" the performance if you go to the i7-6700k.

mkenyon

Banned
Is there anything that I can buy off the shelf that's respectable for under 850 ?
For gaming or general use?

Yes, absolutely you will.

You might also consider keeping the parts from your old system to build a dedicated streaming box, which would be even better performance and allow you to stream at a higher bit rate. That's mostly if you are taking the streaming thing very seriously.
Coming from a Phenom II 1090t, yes. You should see a large difference. According to CPU Boss, you should be seeing "double" the performance if you go to the i7-6700k.
Well, that's only raw performance, not game performance. Some games have very very low CPU usage and almost no bottleneck..
I am planning to get Dark Souls 3 on day 1. Problem is my PC quite outdated.

I have HD5780, which was the minimal requirement for DS2. the minimal requirement for DS3 appears to be HD6870.

I really want to wait till Pascal, so should I just buy DS3 for Playstation, or would there be a chance that it would have similar performance on my PC?

Edit. I just noticed that it also requires at least i5 2500, guess my i7 950 bottlenecks too.

Have to go PS4 route I guess
Your i7 950 is actually right around 2500 performance, and better than 2500 performance if you get it around 3.7 GHz.

But, the 5780 is a far cry from the 6870. You'd need a new GPU. You can pick up lots of used cards that would be a substantial upgrade for around $100.
I would argue the R9 390 is a better card and slightly cheaper than the 970. Unless power draw is a major concern.
Unless there's interest in Shadowplay, G-Sync, or other less important NVIDIA proprietary tech.

Pheace

Yes, absolutely you will.

You might also consider keeping the parts from your old system to build a dedicated streaming box, which would be even better performance and allow you to stream at a higher bit rate. That's mostly if you are taking the streaming thing very seriously.

Thanks for the replies. It feels like a lot of money to spend so I'm getting a bit squeamish and some reassurance helps a lot :)

I considered the streaming box but it would probably be too much money to fully set up right now (case, PSU, capture card?) and with an investment like this I could really use some return on my old parts, though I doubt it'll get me much. I *am* looking to pick up a Fractal Design R5 to replace my current case but I just can't justify spending more money atm :)

Ferr986

Dunno if this is the correct place to ask but, I got a new card, and now MSI Afterburner doesn't work like always.

With the old card I could see the actual Core clock, now it shows +0, and goes up and down with percentatges. Is there any way to revert it like the way it was before? i'm nore used that way.

EDIT: I see the 900 series is this way. nvm them

I finally retired my i5 2400
to my HTPC
. I decided to future proof my PC as much as I could without breaking the bank. My system as of of right now.

i5 6600K @ 4.5GHz(Evo 212)
Asrock Z170 Pro4
16GB DDR4 @3000MHz
7870XT (waiting for mid 2016 cards)

qRokc4B.jpg

Case is a Cooler Master N400. Cable management needs work but I don't have a window on my case so function over form for now.

I moved my i5 2400 and 8GB DDR3 to the HTPC. I also bought a 750Ti for it. The 750Ti for the price is still great. I was also limited to low profile cards.

Plenty of power to play pretty much anything at 30fps at least.

For a fun comparison here is the 7870XT next to the 750Ti...

So, I have a 60hz monitor, when I want to cap a game at 30, I just change it to adaptive half refresh rate and turn vsync off ingame, right ?

Then I don't need no RTSS?

Down to basically choosing the final part in this build, after prices changed on me and excluded a prior choice from fitting in the budget.

XFX Double Dissipation 390 - $275 after MIR
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150729

Gigabyte Windforce 970 - $300 after MIR
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125685

Thoughts? This will be installed in a build for a friend who isn't too tech savvy, so I'm also weighing drivers/software in addition to price vs performance. Basic min-req VR support would also be good.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
For gaming or general use?

Both. looking for something that can run current gen games at 30fps 1080p if possible.
I'm too lazy to build one myself and I don't want to deal with buying individual parts either.
Any help is appreciated.

I was looking at the Alienware X51 $949.99 but cant seem to get a clear cut opinion from reading reviews and other message broads.

RayStorm

I am planning to get Dark Souls 3 on day 1. Problem is my PC quite outdated.

I have HD5780, which was the minimal requirement for DS2. the minimal requirement for DS3 appears to be HD6870.

I assume you meant to write HD5870? If so, then you need not worry, as it outperformed the HD 6870 when that came out. AMD/ATI at that time decided to somewhat change their naming scheme and introduced the x9xx naming scheme for their top range single cpu with the HD 6xxx series. Before that, their top range single GPU series was named x8xx. As such the successor to the HD5870 was the 6970. And even then, that particular generation "jump" was more of a hop if memory serves correctly. The difference between the equivalent HD6xxx and HD5xxx cards was minuscule.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I have a socket 1155 motherboard with a 3570k @4GHz. Can't go faster because the motherboard won't allow it (gigabyte z77n)

I can buy a 3770k for about £175 - is that worth it and will I see any meaningful improvements? Wondering if it'd help me delay a full upgrade for a few years. It'd be paired with a 970, with an eye to upgrade to pascal next year

(Motherboard is also limited to 1600Mhz ram)

Muddimar

First question: Is there a go to AMD cpu at the moment? A friend of mine is trying to find a comparable amd cpu, that is close to the new intel chipset. Does it not exist?

Second question: I also noticed that there is a i7 6700, would this be ideal over the i5 6600k?

Appleman

Holding off on a build until I can get a monitor that fits my wants and needs... are there still no decent options for a 4K display around the 40"ish size that can do 4K60 and has 4:4:4 chroma?

Seems like there's like one weird problem with each one I look at that ends up being a bit of a dealbreaker

Jyrii

Banned
I assume you meant to write HD5870? If so, then you need not worry, as it outperformed the HD 6870 when that came out. AMD/ATI at that time decided to somewhat change their naming scheme and introduced the x9xx naming scheme for their top range single cpu with the HD 6xxx series. Before that, their top range single GPU series was named x8xx. As such the successor to the HD5870 was the 6970. And even then, that particular generation "jump" was more of a hop if memory serves correctly. The difference between the equivalent HD6xxx and HD5xxx cards was minuscule.

Ah yeah typo there, 5870 is the one I have. Guess I'll might go with the PC version then. Can always get refund if the performance is crap.

RGM79

First question: Is there a go to AMD cpu at the moment? A friend of mine is trying to find a comparable amd cpu, that is close to the new intel chipset. Does it not exist?

Second question: I also noticed that there is a i7 6700, would this be ideal over the i5 6600k?
No, AMD is only comparable at the lower end range (Intel i3 and below). AMD's new line of Zen processors is slated for launch this year, but that's still up in the air as to when it'll be available and just how well it'll perform compared to Intel.

The i7 6700 is a quad core processor like the i5 6600K, the main difference is that the i5 can be overclocked easily while the i7 has hyperthreading a a little bit more cache. The i7 will be more expensive, but can perform somewhat faster at certain tasks that can make use of hyperthreading, like video encoding. The i5 6600K is still very competitive and would represent better value for its cost, especially if overclocked.

Guys,

have I made a mistake? I've had this 3570k @ 4.4 since release and had paired it with G.Skill RIpjaws 2x4GB 1600 memory. I changed a few GPUs and have GTX 770 right now. The other day I decided to upgrade my RAM so I bought 2 more sticks for a total of 16GB dirt cheap.

Enter this "horrible" article about RAM speed and importance of it. It showed that RAM speed indeed is important mostly for min FPS.

I tried overclocking my RAM to at least 1866 but it was no go even with 1.65V.

So how bad is it? I mean everything works but would you guys have gone for faster memory instead?

bomblord1

Banned
Guys,

have I made a mistake? I've had this 3570k @ 4.4 since release and had paired it with G.Skill RIpjaws 2x4GB 1600 memory. I changed a few GPUs and have GTX 770 right now. The other day I decided to upgrade my RAM so I bought 2 more sticks for a total of 16GB dirt cheap.

Enter this "horrible" article about RAM speed and importance of it. It showed that RAM speed indeed is important mostly for min FPS.

So how bad is it? I mean everything works but would you guys have gone for faster memory instead?

RAM speed makes only a few fps difference in real world scenarios.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utWnjA4NzSA

LilJoka

Guys,

1600 CAS 9 is good.

schwupp

quick questions for all the pros here :) :

i have a asus P8H61 PRO with a i5 2400 at the moment.
would it make sense to upgrade to a i7-3770K?
if i´m reading this correctly i would not be able to make use of the overclocking since its a H61 chipset.

what would be the most fitting cpu for it?

mkenyon

Banned
Both. looking for something that can run current gen games at 30fps 1080p if possible.
I'm too lazy to build one myself and I don't want to deal with buying individual parts either.
Any help is appreciated.

I was looking at the Alienware X51 $949.99 but cant seem to get a clear cut opinion from reading reviews and other message broads.
Yeah, the X51 is okay, and it should do 1080/30 fine.

if i´m reading this correctly i would not be able to make use of the overclocking since its a H61 chipset.

There's really not much to upgrade to. Any proc in there would lead to an unnoticeable improvement in gaming performance.
Guys,

What article was this? The Corsair one?

TMK their results are stacked because the game(s) they use are single/dual threaded engines like Starcraft 2. Their results are also an aberration I haven't seen backed up anywhere.

LilJoka

What GPU?

Jzero

Wow Windows 10 didn't crash even though I completely changed to a different Motherboard and other components on my mom's computer. All I had to do was slui 3 and put my old product key. I did a reset just in case though.

urge26

Urgh.... Haven't pulled the trigger because of video card. 1080p60, games like: the Division, Dark Souls series, Ghost Recon Wild Lands, Over Watch is my goal.

I have the money, but if I saved I could throw it into VR.

- 980ti with the intent of getting 3 years, wait for VR to mature.

- 970, with the thought of Oculus.

Decisions!

mkenyon

Banned
Got most of my parts in today except for the i5 and RAM which are coming tomorrow. Figured I'd go ahead and get started since

1NpPBdY.jpg
You can build the entire computer, and just put in the CPU and memory after.

Well, assuming your case has a CPU socket cutout, which it probably does.

Mohasus

So, I have a 60hz monitor, when I want to cap a game at 30, I just change it to adaptive half refresh rate and turn vsync off ingame, right ?

Then I don't need no RTSS?

nvidia control panel overrides the game setting, so it doesn't matter if vsync is on or off there.

RTSS isn't needed, but recommended for better frametimes.

1600 CAS 9 is good.

So if I have 8gb of 1600mhz Cas 9 currently, it's better to just add another 8gb for a total of 16gb, than to replace my ram with 8gb of 2133mhz?

After that digital foundry video I've been toying with the idea, but leaning towards just adding another 8gb of the 1600 mhz ram.

mkenyon

Banned
No idea lol. Tonight begins my learning experience. I thought I'd be able to just stick the CPU onto the MB, but if not I'll wait before I potentially block it off.
What case did you get?

You can always put the CPU in, but the cutout is specifically for installing aftermarket CPU coolers, which generally people are advised to purchase.

mkenyon

Banned
Do you just mean a separate CPU cooler, because yeah I already have one.
Yeah, typically they have backplates that go on the back side of the motherboard to secure the cooler to the board. The installation of them generally requires that the CPU is already installed.

RayStorm

Yeah, typically they have backplates that go on the back side of the motherboard to secure the cooler to the board. The installation of them generally requires that the CPU is already installed.
I must misunderstand you, but you actually can, and probably should for that matter, install the backplate without first installing the CPU...

brandonh83 said:
...In fact, aside from cramped conditions, if you were to install the backplate (if the cooler comes with one) then you could actually, install that backplate and assemble most of the PC (including fixing the mainboard within the case) and then just plop the CPU in when it arrives and install the cooler inside the case. Depending on what cooler/case combination it is, one might have to install the cooler with the mainboard already inside the case.

mkenyon

Banned
I must be out of touch with installations, since I only use waterblocks or stock coolers now :p

Back when I was still using air coolers, the screws that went through the backplate would not be secure until you put on the heatsink and tightened it down.

RayStorm

I must be out of touch with installations, since I only use waterblocks or stock coolers now :p

Back when I was still using air coolers, the screws that went through the backplate would not be secure until you put on the heatsink and tightened it down.

In my experience it has been a backplate and a bracket on the top. This bracket is then used to screw the actual heatsink onto. This has, at least for the past two coolers I used allowed for installation of the CPU after installing backplate/bracket.

blado

I'm really struggling to decide between these two newegg bundles:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.2624899

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.2466098

I know the 5820k is overall a better CPU, but I'm slightly worried that I'll regret not taking the ~10% ipc increase that skylake provides. Plus, I'll need to buy a new cpu cooler, as I plan on overclocking, and the hyper 212 evo can't quite cut it with the heat output of the 5820k. Any advice is appreciated, because I'm having a lot of trouble deciding.

I know the 5820k is overall a better CPU, but I'm slightly worried that I'll regret not taking the ~10% ipc increase that skylake provides. Plus, I'll need to buy a new cpu cooler, as I plan on overclocking, and the hyper 212 evo can't quite cut it with the heat output of the 5820k. Any advice is appreciated, because I'm having a lot of trouble deciding.

What will you be using it for?

darthbob

I'd definitely go with the 5820k, having 12 threads available vs 8 is a no-brainer. You can always overclock too to make up for the reduced single threaded performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom