• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me post a pic of this fan cables ending.
its just loose and bugging me.
I just gotta ziptie this trainwreck of cables.
avert your eyes gaf

uPJtyxR.jpg

This thing.
Small port plugs into sysfan1 and then the larger end has no port?
Am i going blind here?

Hard to tell without knowing what the other end of that cable goes to. Is it a chassis fan? Some chassis fans will include both a molex and motherboard pin connector on the offchance you're using a motherboard that doesn't have an open fan connection available. It's always preferable to plug into the motherboard fan connectors where you can, as that enables monitoring and control of fanspeed. In that case, the molex end indeed just flaps around, but you can bind it up with zip ties to keep it looking cleaner.

RGM79

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (€233.40 @ Mindfactory)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (€36.48 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Motherboard: MSI Z170A GAMING PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (€127.94 @ Mindfactory)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory (€63.83 @ Mindfactory)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€46.98 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€54.27 @ Mindfactory)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card (€344.76 @ Mindfactory)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (€69.81 @ Mindfactory)
Total: €977.47
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-24 01:27 CET+0100

That's it atm, minus a case. Want to have a max budget of €1000 for everything, as I still need a desk and monitor, but they can come a week or two after I build it.
I'll come up with an improved and cheaper parts list for you later, but I recommend against that SSD and power supply. That Kingston SSD is an awful performer, if you wish to save money you could even drop it from your parts list and save up for a better SSD in the future. The Corsair CX power supply is kind of low end, I would recommend EVGA, Seasonic, Super Flower, or XFX instead.

So uh....i think im done?
I mean i dont have alot to hook in since im using no optical,only an ssd for now and stock fan.

Let me post a pic of this fan cables ending.
its just loose and bugging me.
I just gotta ziptie this trainwreck of cables.
avert your eyes gaf

uPJtyxR.jpg

This thing.
Small port plugs into sysfan1 and then the larger end has no port?
Am i going blind here?

Lol you tell me
so its just a pointless cable then?
Ill tie it off
You have to plug in the larger connector if you want that fan to spin. I don't know what power supply you have, but you should have a similar connector on one of the cables from the power supply. It's called a molex connector.

bomblord1

Banned
You have to plug in the larger connector if you want that fan to spin. I don't know what power supply you have, but you should have a similar connector on one of the cables from the power supply. It's called a molex connector.

I'm viewing on mobile but looks like it's coming from his power supply not his case fans.

bomblord1

Banned
Wait yes.
the wire in question is a case fan.
any power supply molex will do then?
I assumed that in that position that itd be connecting to the mb not a psu link.
noob error.

Woops lol then RGM is right if its a case fan it will need to be connected if there's no MOBO connector. Sorry

Wait yes.
the wire in question is a case fan.
any power supply molex will do then?
I assumed that in that position that itd be connecting to the mb not a psu link.
noob error.

If it has a motherboard connection, that will be enough to power it; you don't need to plug it in to both the molex from the PSU and the motherboard chassis fan connector. If you don't have a chassis fan connector available on the motherboard, then you use the molex connection, but you'll lose out on any monitoring abilities; the fan will simply be on at full speed whenever the computer is powered on.

I'll come up with an improved and cheaper parts list for you later, but I recommend against that SSD and power supply. That Kingston SSD is an awful performer, if you wish to save money you could even drop it from your parts list and save up for a better SSD in the future. The Corsair CX power supply is kind of low end, I would recommend EVGA, Seasonic, Super Flower, or XFX instead.

Okay cool thanks. If I install say all my programs and OS to a standard HDD, would I have to re install them all to an SSD when I got one? Also if you could PM me that list when you get around to it it would be most appreciated :) I'm chopping and changing my mind way too much whilst I gather the money for it haha

If it has a motherboard connection, that will be enough to power it; you don't need to plug it in to both the molex from the PSU and the motherboard chassis fan connector. If you don't have a chassis fan connector available on the motherboard, then you use the molex connection, but you'll lose out on any monitoring abilities; the fan will simply be on at full speed whenever the computer is powered on.

Ok conflicts here.
its currently in a sysfan port on the mb.
not the psus molex.
In other words only the smaller connector is in while the molex is just hangging out.
can it run in this state?

Ok conflicts here.
its currently in a sysfan port on the mb.
not the psus molex.
In other words only the smaller connector is in while the molex is just hangging out.
can it run in this state?

Yes, that's the ideal way to connect it. But when you boot up for the first time, it's always a good idea to double-check that everything comes on like you expect it to, including all the fans. I'm not familiar with the BIOS for that specific motherboard, but you should also be able to track the fanspeed through the monitoring tool included in modern BIOS software.

Yes, that's the ideal way to connect it. But when you boot up for the first time, it's always a good idea to double-check that everything comes on like you expect it to, including all the fans. I'm not familiar with the BIOS for that specific motherboard, but you should also be able to track the fanspeed through the monitoring tool included in modern BIOS software.

Well then...i think im done?
Sdd is in and powered
970 is in and powered
Fans are powered
cpu and cpu fan in and wired
front connections wired in
Ram correctly inserted
Psu installed and bolted in

Am i missing something off my mental list?
Any difference in monitor/tv connectors?
Can i just hdmi from monitor to card?
Simplest seems most appealing.

i started up and i see onscreen
cpu or mem changed
enter setup to config
F1 to run setup
F2 to load default values and continue
is F1 for OS and bios here?

Alucrid

Banned
i want to consolidate my 2 and 1 TB hdds into one 4 tb one for storage. what's more reliable, WD green or whatever seagate one is out there?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
What LEDS do you guys use to light up your case? I want some yellow ones...

I just bought a few white LED fans to replace the stock ones in my case. They match the white glow of the NZXT logo in my case, though I kind of now wish I went Blue to match the 'Windforce' LED on my 970 card instead.

The Hermit

Ok, in the thread Digital Foundry: Is It Time To Upgrade Your Core i5 2500K? I realized why my upgrade from the GTX 670 to the R9 390 was a bit less impressive than I expected.

Aparently overcloking everything will help but not as much as if it was a nVidia card (I havent overclocked or used a faster RAM yet, and I have a Maximus Iv Gene-z motherboard)

So what would be the best CPU to buy in that motherboard? Apparently my CPU is one hell of a bottleneck now...

Ok, in the thread Digital Foundry: Is It Time To Upgrade Your Core i5 2500K? I realized why my upgrade from the GTX 670 to the R9 390 was a bit less impressive than I expected.

Aparently overcloking everything will help but not as much as if it was a nVidia card (I havent overclocked or used a faster RAM yet, and I have a Maximus Iv Gene-z motherboard)

So what would be the best CPU to buy in that motherboard? Apparently my CPU is one hell of a bottleneck now...

Could you list your current system's specs?

An i7-3770K would be the best possible CPU you can run on an LGA 1155 board, though you're probably gonna have to settle for a used CPU unless you are willing to pay the arm and leg necessary to get one new now.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
so I'm kinda torn on upgrade path right now with Oculus/Vive + Pascal.

My rig is overclocked i5-2500k + ASUS P8Z68-V. No issues there, it seems despite the age of the processer. Should be fine. 8gb of good ram.

Need to put in a new USB 3.0 card for Oculus but got that (actually, I need to make sure it fits...)

The real question is -what is the right strategy for GPU upgrade?

Part of me thinks i should just pull the trigger on a 980ti and upgrade my currently 600w power supply (I think with the overclock on the CPU it'd be pushing it).

The other part of me says just buy a 970 for now, and upgrade the GPU again with Pascal (and then do the power supply if needed)... part of me thinks the 970 will be fine for now.

theRizzle

Software i should have by default due to 970 or free download?

If you don't have it, it's possible you just have a basic driver from your Windows install, but I don't think they really do that any more. If you are completely new to PC gaming, I would absolutely recommend you download GeForce Experience. It'll help you find more or less good settings for your games, or at the very least a starting point from which you can tweak to your preference. It'll also keep you updated on newest drivers and make updating them painless.

It is a far from perfect utility, but I think for new people it's wonderful.

holygeesus

Banned
Software i should have by default due to 970 or free download?

Have you installed the Nvidia driver? In my experience, although Windows automatically installs a working display driver, until you download and install one from Nvidia, then I don't get Nvidia control panel.

Finished my build today, ended up having to buy an after market cooler with silver thermal paste as keeping your CPU permanently in turbo-boost whilst doing video-encoding still makes it quite warm. :p
The Thermaltake TX3 EVO is what I got, as it fits inside the mini-ITX case with about 1cm to spare at the top. :p
Temps have dropped by about 15c during load though so it's doing it's job over the stock cooler. :)

Now I'm just waiting for Pascal so I can buy a dedicated GPU.

Edit: And video encoding seems about 50% faster over my i7 4720HQ laptop CPU.

RGM79

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (€233.40 @ Mindfactory)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (€36.48 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Motherboard: MSI Z170A GAMING PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (€127.94 @ Mindfactory)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory (€63.83 @ Mindfactory)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€46.98 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€54.27 @ Mindfactory)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card (€344.76 @ Mindfactory)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (€69.81 @ Mindfactory)
Total: €977.47
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-24 01:27 CET+0100

That's it atm, minus a case. Want to have a max budget of €1000 for everything, as I still need a desk and monitor, but they can come a week or two after I build it.

I managed to come up with mostly equal or better parts all around for under 1000€, including a case and a larger SSD.

http://geizhals.de/?cat=WL-645230&wlkey=a4854681fbd0387a06312c30a568eee1
1 x Western Digital WD Blue 1TB, 64MB Cache, SATA 6Gb/s (WD10EZEX)
1 x Crucial BX100 250GB, SATA (CT250BX100SSD1)
1 x Intel Core i5-6600K, 4x 3.50GHz, boxed ohne Kühler (BX80662I56600K)
1 x G.Skill RipJaws V rot DIMM Kit 8GB, DDR4-3000, CL15-16-16-35 (F4-3000C15D-8GVRB)
1 x ASUS STRIX-GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5, GeForce GTX 970, 4GB GDDR5, 2x DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort (90YV07F0-M0NA00)
1 x Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI
1 x Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo (RR-212E-16PK-R1)
1 x NZXT Source 210 Elite weiß (S210E-002)
1 x XFX Pro Series Full Wired Edition (Bronze) 650W ATX 2.3 (P1-650S-NLB9)
Summe aller Bestpreise: € 996,90

My rig is overclocked i5-2500k + ASUS P8Z68-V. No issues there, it seems despite the age of the processer. Should be fine. 8gb of good ram.

Need to put in a new USB 3.0 card for Oculus but got that (actually, I need to make sure it fits...)

Part of me thinks i should just pull the trigger on a 980ti and upgrade my currently 600w power supply (I think with the overclock on the CPU it'd be pushing it).

The other part of me says just buy a 970 for now, and upgrade the GPU again with Pascal (and then do the power supply if needed)... part of me thinks the 970 will be fine for now.
What GPU do you have now? How serious are you about getting into VR ASAP (i.e. are you preordering)?

Ferr986

If your OC isnt resetting, your bios isnt resetting. Have you tried a different cable on your monitor? I cant see the dvi port going bad. You may also try taking the card out and reseating it. You may have bumped it.

The OC didn't reset but the hour/month/year did reset.

I tried hooking a 360 to the monitor and it works.

Btw, I can now see and enter the BIOS, only if I start the PC with HMDI on TV only.
If I start with the TV and monitor, it doesn't show the BIOS and goes directly to Windows.

If I try to connect the monitor while I have the TV via HDMI on screen goes black for a sec (the usual when connecting a new output) but then nothing happens. (screen still works on TV, monitor does nothing).

Sadly, I don't have any other DVI cable.

Bluforce

Finally arrived my substitutive i5-6600 CPU.

No more dragster sound when I boot my PC.

The old heatsink was clearly broken, but the new one is entirely different.

haveheart

Banned
Hey PCGaf,

I would really like to upgrade my system, however, I'm very unsure if this is the right time with the announcement of Zen and incoming new Geforce cards. I'm mostly playing CSGO. Since I have a 120hz display, the framrate is pretty important to me. I'm getting between 80 and 140fps, but I'm aiming for 200+. Another reason is The Division. Unfortunately, I didn't play the beta, so I don't know how this will perform – I'm guessing not so good.

My system:

Phenom II X4 955 3,2Ghz
Gigabyte GV-N660OC-2GD
8Gig Ram 1333
Asus M4A79T Deluxe mainboard
500GB + 128SSD

The worst part is my case. Except the graphics card and the SSD everything is from 2009. The case is pretty roughed up, so I definitely want a new one – I was already looking into the fractal design cases (mybe the Define S).

Another thing I definitely want to replace is my Scythe Mugen. It's big, heavy and the fan is pretty annoying. Also, it seems to attact dust which gets stuck in the big fins of this monster.

Since I'm pretty much a budget guy, I do not want to consider any high end components. Generally, I guess I would need a whole new rig. But I want to do it step by step and start somewhere.

So my question is basically: Which components should I replace at this point?

Case + cooler + CPU?
Case + cooler + GPU?

bomblord1

Banned
Hey PCGaf,

I would really like to upgrade my system, however, I'm very unsure if this is the right time with the announcement of Zen and incoming new Geforce cards. I'm mostly playing CSGO. Since I have a 120hz display, the framrate is pretty important to me. I'm getting between 80 and 140fps, but I'm aiming for 200+. Another reason is The Division. Unfortunately, I didn't play the beta, so I don't know how this will perform – I'm guessing not so good.

My system:

Phenom II X4 955 3,2Ghz
Gigabyte GV-N660OC-2GD
8Gig Ram 1333
Asus M4A79T Deluxe mainboard
500GB + 128SSD

The worst part is my case. Except the graphics card and the SSD everything is from 2009. The case is pretty roughed up, so I definitely want a new one – I was already looking into the fractal design cases (mybe the Define S).

Another thing I definitely want to replace is my Scythe Mugen. It's big, heavy and the fan is pretty annoying. Also, it seems to attact dust which gets stuck in the big fins of this monster.

Since I'm pretty much a budget guy, I do not want to consider any high end components. Generally, I guess I would need a whole new rig. But I want to do it step by step and start somewhere.

So my question is basically: Which components should I replace at this point?

Case + cooler + CPU?
Case + cooler + GPU?

Is that GPU a 960? If you replace the CPU the mobo is going to have to be replaced with it. I would honestly recommend upgrading the CPU but the GPU could be holding you back as well if you are aiming for 200 fps in CSGO but why are you aiming for 200fps? You can't even buy a display that does 200fps.

haveheart

Banned
Is that GPU a 960? If you replace the CPU the mobo is going to have to be replaced with it. I would honestly recommend upgrading the CPU but the GPU could be holding you back as well if you are aiming for 200 fps in CSGO but why are you aiming for 200fps? You can't even buy a display that does 200fps.

I wish. It's a 660...

I don't want to get in a fps discussion but 200fps avg really add to fluidity. There will be drops and I certainly do not want drops below 120.

bomblord1

Banned
I wish. It's a 660...

I don't want to get in a fps discussion but 200fps avg really add to fluidity. There will be drops and I certainly do not want drops below 120.

How can 200fps add to fluidity when the monitor is not capable of displaying that many frames?

Anyway you're going to want an all around upgrade. If I had to guess the GPU? might give you the biggest boost but you really need to upgrade your CPU, GPU, and Mobo to something better. If you plan on playing the division (at all) and plan on getting 200+ fps in counter strike go you are going to need it.

Your CPU does not meet the minimum for the Division and your GPU is just barely above the minimum and not even close to the recommended.

haveheart

Banned
How can 200fps add to fluidity when the monitor is not capable of displaying that many frames?

Anyway you're going to want an all around upgrade. If I had to guess the GPU? might give you the biggest boost but you really need to upgrade your CPU, GPU, and Mobo to something better. If you plan on playing the division (at all) and plan on getting 200+ fps in counter strike go you are going to need it.

Your CPU does not meet the minimum for the Division and your GPU is just barely above the minimum and not even close to the recommended.

Yeah, thanks for your help so far. That's what I was suspecting. I really neglected my PC in the last years.

Do you think it's a bad moment to upgrade?

bomblord1

Banned
Yeah, thanks for your help so far. That's what I was suspecting. I really neglected my PC in the last years.

Do you think it's a bad moment to upgrade?

Well a new architecture is only a few months out however at launch it's obviously going to be more expensive than the existing one and probably riddled with bugs.

It just comes down to personal preference really. After it's out a new architecture is going to be on the way.

Guysy 6600k comes on Friday! Got my corsair vengeance c70 case, z170xp-sli gigabyte mobo, and hyper 212 evo. Also got m2 ssd for maximum performance. I will post pics before an after build!!! :)

e90Mark

Pretty good deal on a EVGA 980ti ftw on Newegg right now for like $600 after MIR. Otherwise the 970 is just about half that.

Depends on your budget really. I had a 980ti, got a 970 because of the Pascal hype, but now I can't help but keep looking at the 980ti.

If you're even considering the 980ti, I would just get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom