• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

theRizzle

G-sync?
I think im goin G-sync.

Also i just ordered the red dragon mouse that was recommended in another thread.
Any good starter keyboards youd recommend?
And finally i think i need to open my pc back up to double check front wiring.
Im getting no headphones to register on my front headphone/mic ports.

You may have to switch the wire from the front panel audio connector you used. I think most cases have two front panel audio connections... AC 97 or HD Audio. Try the other one.

Also, do your case USB ports work? It's unrelated to the audio connector but it's something easy to miss or forget.

You may have to switch the wire from the front panel audio connector you used. I think most cases have two front panel audio connections... AC 97 or HD Audio. Try the other one.

Also, do your case USB ports work? It's unrelated to the audio connector but it's something easy to miss or forget.

Usbs are fine.
using a usb mouse now
And no AC 97
just HD audio
let me refer to the manual one more time to ensure i got the right port
wait is it possible its a driver/utility download?
Remember new guy here

theRizzle

Usbs are fine.
using a usb mouse now
And no AC 97
just HD audio
let me refer to the manual one more time to ensure i got the right port
wait is it possible its a driver/utility download?
Remember new guy here

Are you getting sound from the back panel? I mean, just from your motherboard audio out?

I can't think of why a driver wouldn't give you audio from the front audio connection if you are getting it from the rear connection. I'd check the Audio thing in your system tray. (System tray is the icons beside the clock... Audio icon will look like a little speaker)

When you plug your headphones into the front panel, you should see stuff change there if your PC is picking them up.

Also, I -think- you can disable front panel audio in the BIOS, but unless you were playing around in there just switching stuff willy-nilly I doubt that's the problem.

Edit: now that I think about it, definitely check the Audio drivers/utilities from your motherboard page and install the newest version from there (if you haven't already).

Are you getting sound from the back panel? I mean, just from your motherboard audio out?

I can't think of why a driver wouldn't give you audio from the front audio connection if you are getting it from the rear connection. I'd check the Audio thing in your system tray. (System tray is the icons beside the clock... Audio icon will look like a little speaker)

When you plug your headphones into the front panel, you should see stuff change there if your PC is picking them up.

Also, I -think- you can disable front panel audio in the BIOS, but unless you were playing around in there just switching stuff willy-nilly I doubt that's the problem.

Edit: now that I think about it, definitely check the Audio drivers/utilities from your motherboard page and install the newest version from there (if you haven't already).

Does msi have an auto installer like nvidia?
I havnt downloaded any drivers for my mb yet as I saw that it was all manual and honestly im just not that savvy on manual installs

Also double checked my internals and my mb manual.
only HD audio connector and correct port

theRizzle

If you Google your motherboard model, it should take you to its specific page on the manufacturers site.

From there, they usually have a thing called Support or Drivers or Downloads (or something to that effect). Then from there, it's usually split into sub-categories like LAN, Audio, and Wireless. Just download and install the newest version of each utility. It's very simple; 3 or 4 clicks per utility.

If you tell me the model of your motherboard I can tell you what stuff to download if that'll be easier.

If you Google your motherboard model, it should take you to its specific page on the manufacturers site.

From there, they usually have a thing called Support or Drivers or Downloads (or something to that effect). Then from there, it's usually split into sub-categories like LAN, Audio, and Wireless. Just download and install the newest version of each utility. It's very simple; 3 or 4 clicks per utility.

If you tell me the model of your motherboard I can tell you what stuff to download if that'll be easier.

MSI Z170-A PRO LGA1151 socket

Also i just confirmed my rear audio IO ports work
headset is getting sound and i infer that mic should work too.
just let me double check the front to see if my reinserting the port did anything

I'm gonna pick up an MSI 970 100ME (5% off coupon on newegg today that makes it $330 with a $20 rebate. Upgrading from my 7970

MSI Z77 MPOWER
i7 3770k
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
Cooler Master Silent Pro M - 1000W
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB
ASUS 24X DVD Burner
ADATA XPG SX900 2.5" 256GB SSD
also have 2 HDDs

This is my current build inside a Cooler Master Haf 932 case

It looks like it should fit everything right? I am leaning towards this Phanteks PH-ES515P_BK

Jimrpg

Gaf I gotta talk about this.
As you all know I built my first PC yesterday over an 8 hour period and it was pretty much documented in endless stream of posts in the last few pages of this thread.

I literally bled for that PC(i cut myself on an edge)

Well just now not even a minute ago I just played my first 1080/60 PC fps.
I get it gaf.
I mean holy shit i sucked ass as ive never used a kb/m combo but at least I still scored some kills.
It was fucking glorious and it was just meh settings by pc standards but good god am I happy I finally joined the party.
Also if anyones curious I played ghost in the shell first assault.
I just gotta acclimate to the kb/m now.

As someone who was a PC guy who went console for 15 years and then back to PC last year - i totally get you. Even after a year, it still feels next gen to me. (im on 1440p/144hz though)... now im awaiting a reasonably priced 4k GPU/monitor combo.

Lmao
gaf
i fixed it.
My reinsert worked.
I guess it shook loose?
But I think I should probably get those drivers anyway right?
Please let me know which

@Arbok
Its like this alien world opened up.
I just need a good keyboard now if u have a good starter reccomendation.
I just ordered the reddragon mouse.
Man i suck at kb/m atm

LQX

So I was finally about to complete my new system build by moving my SSD from my old system to it. I planned to just format during installation but it booted up and is seemingly working fine. I did not even intend to do that. I went from a Asrock LGA 1155 build to a Asrock LGA 2011 build. Only issue I had was it asking me to validate windows which I did and it is again genuine.

I uninstalled all previous drivers and put the motherboard drivers and everything is still fine. I anticipated crashes and such but it still fine after two days. Games and everything I normally use work. Am I good? What can go wrong doing this?

theRizzle

^ If it seems to be working fine, you're probably OK. I can't see it causing any permanent damage or anything.

EVA, I'm on mobile ATM but I'll throw up a post for you in about an hour. If you haven't got anything from the motherboard page, there'll be a few things you'll want.

th3dude

Got a pretty nice boost upgrading my GTX 570 SLI to a single 970.

Other specs:
CPU: i5 2500K overclocked to 4.0GHz
16GB DDR3 RAM

Looks like the 2500K will live on!

Lw5I2HW.png

theRizzle

Lmao
gaf
i fixed it.
My reinsert worked.
I guess it shook loose?
Please let me know which

Welcome to the wonderful world of PCs, where the problem is almost always something minute and easy to overlook like that. I've literally spent hours trying to troubleshoot something like no audio coming out of my headphones when it turns out I just accidentally unplugged them.

So the page you want is here.

You'll more likely than not want to download the newest stuff. Personally, I am Captain Anal about keeping my system updated. That comes down to personal preference I guess.

Start from the bottom and download & install these things. The order which you do it doesn't matter terribly (your PC will not melt if you don't do it this way), but here's what I suggest.

1) System & Chipset Drivers - Intel Chipset Driver
2) Others Drivers - Intel Management Engine Driver+Microsoft hotfix
3) On-Board LAN Drivers - Realtek PCI-E Ethernet Drivers
4) On-Board Audio Drivers - Realtek High Definition Audio Driver
5) On-Board SATA AHCI/RAID Drivers - Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver

That should give you everything you need. In a lot of cases, this stuff is probably already working via a Generic or built in Windows driver, but I would install these versions anyways.

Then, you can venture into the Utility section at your own peril. The only stuff there you might be interested in are the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility (which I'm guessing is overclock settings/tweaks but in Windows instead of the BIOS), Live Update 6 (helps to keep your BIOS updated... if you are a total noob you probably won't be comfortable doing this through DOS or the BIOS itself). Looks like they also have some kind of Command Center program that might do a lot of this stuff as well.

Generally I tend to stay away from this type of stuff but that's because I know how to do everything in other ways without installing these programs. For a new person, I think they can be invaluable to help you understand what you can do with your PC while still giving you some safeguards to prevent any unfortunate mishaps.

Welcome to the wonderful world of PCs, where the problem is almost always something minute and easy to overlook like that. I've literally spent hours trying to troubleshoot something like no audio coming out of my headphones when it turns out I just accidentally unplugged them.

So the page you want is here.

You'll more likely than not want to download the newest stuff. Personally, I am Captain Anal about keeping my system updated. That comes down to personal preference I guess.

Start from the bottom and download & install these things. The order which you do it doesn't matter terribly (your PC will not melt if you don't do it this way), but here's what I suggest.

1) System & Chipset Drivers - Intel Chipset Driver
2) Others Drivers - Intel Management Engine Driver+Microsoft hotfix
3) On-Board LAN Drivers - Realtek PCI-E Ethernet Drivers
4) On-Board Audio Drivers - Realtek High Definition Audio Driver
5) On-Board SATA AHCI/RAID Drivers - Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver

That should give you everything you need. In a lot of cases, this stuff is probably already working via a Generic or built in Windows driver, but I would install these versions anyways.

Then, you can venture into the Utility section at your own peril. The only stuff there you might be interested in are the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility (which I'm guessing is overclock settings/tweaks but in Windows instead of the BIOS), Live Update 6 (helps to keep your BIOS updated... if you are a total noob you probably won't be comfortable doing this through DOS or the BIOS itself). Looks like they also have some kind of Command Center program that might do a lot of this stuff as well.

Generally I tend to stay away from this type of stuff but that's because I know how to do everything in other ways without installing these programs. For a new person, I think they can be invaluable to help you understand what you can do with your PC while still giving you some safeguards to prevent any unfortunate mishaps.

Thanks alot man.

kuYuri

Gaf I gotta talk about this.
As you all know I built my first PC yesterday over an 8 hour period and it was pretty much documented in endless stream of posts in the last few pages of this thread.

I literally bled for that PC(i cut myself on an edge)

Well just now not even a minute ago I just played my first 1080/60 PC fps.
I get it gaf.
I mean holy shit i sucked ass as ive never used a kb/m combo but at least I still scored some kills.
It was fucking glorious and it was just meh settings by pc standards but good god am I happy I finally joined the party.
Also if anyones curious I played ghost in the shell first assault.
I just gotta acclimate to the kb/m now.

Congrats! Glad to hear you are enjoying high end PC gaming. :p

joecanada

Anyone have a view on these NUC units? Seem like good deal? I guess they come with a processor and you add the other stuff you want for your build?

Jimrpg

Lmao
gaf
i fixed it.
My reinsert worked.
I guess it shook loose?
Please let me know which

@Arbok
Its like this alien world opened up.
I just need a good keyboard now if u have a good starter reccomendation.
I just ordered the reddragon mouse.
Man i suck at kb/m atm

I have the Razer Blackwidow Classic Linus Tech Tips Review. and Razer Deathadder Classic mouse. I like the keyboard much more than the mouse. The KB feels great to type on and I don't find anything wrong with it. Most GAFfers will recommend you the CoolerMaster Quickfire or Ducky Shine with real Cherry switches. I got the Razer because of the reasonable online reviews, discount and because I had seen it in person. I hadn't seen the others. Look up the Neogaf Mechanical Keyboard thread for more information and welcome to the world of PC gaming!

Guys, what is the best tool to download the correct and most updated drivers for my system in preparation for a clean Windows 10 install? The website drivers for my PC is not very helpful because there are many duplicate drivers.

RGM79

Guys, what is the best tool to download the correct and most updated drivers for my system in preparation for a clean Windows 10 install? The website drivers for my PC is not very helpful because there are many duplicate drivers.

You should only download the ones with the highest version numbers, which are usually the the most recent ones.

You should only download the ones with the highest version numbers, which are usually the the most recent ones.

Oh, I meant that there are updates for multiple brands and I don't know what hardware I have (example: network drivers for Broadcom and Ralink for the same thing).

Alucrid

Banned
upgrading to a 1440 monitor kinda wrecked my fps so i guess i have to start overclocking now. i'm running a z97x and 4690k. was going to go through this guide http://www.overclock.net/t/1490835/the-gigabyte-z97x-overclocking-guide, but was wondering if there was any other suggestions for information. also, for my 970, msi afterburner still good or is evga's precision x better? i used afterburner in the past and it was fine, but that was like...4 years ago

MooMoo

Hey guys, looking for some help. Built my first desktop with the help of tthis thread about 4 years ago and it's had no hitches until now. Currently whenever I turn on my desktop, I'll see the initial boot screen stuff, then the Windows logo, and then instead of seeing the typical Windows 10 lock screen wallpaper I just get a black screen. The thing is, it was running perfectly fine last night. Some info that may or may not be helpful:

Windows 10 Pro
i5 2500k
8GB Corsair Vengeance RAM
128GB Samsung 830SSD
1TB HDD

Things that have occured recently that may be the cause:
- I bumped up my overclock from 4.0 to 4.3. I've tried bumping the OC back down to stock speeds but I still get the black screen
- There were thunderstorms in the area earlier today and the lights were flickering on/off. My desktop wasn't on though and I have a surge protector.

Things I've done to try to fix it but made no changes to the issue:
- Went into BIOS and made it so that the integrated GPU is forcibly used. Then tried plugging displayport and HDMI cable directly into motherboard.
- Tried booting into safe mode.
- Tried running Windows Startup Repair. It spat out something about the output being saved into a log file and Windows conveniently lets you access command prompt as one of their boot options, so I went into that logfile but it says that the system has booted successfully; so no errors found.
- I have a dual monitor setup so instead of having both wires plugged in I just tried having a single monitor plugged in.
- Once I hit the black screen, I used my keyboard shortcut to put my desktop to sleep. I then wake it up and interesting enough I get a mouse cursor. Ctrl+alt+delete doesn't do anything, but I can spam the shift key to get the sticky key popup.

I can't think of what else to try, but I want to make sure I exhaust all my options before I go down the route of "refreshing" my Windows installation.

RGM79

upgrading to a 1440 monitor kinda wrecked my fps so i guess i have to start overclocking now. i'm running a z97x and 4690k. was going to go through this guide http://www.overclock.net/t/1490835/the-gigabyte-z97x-overclocking-guide, but was wondering if there was any other suggestions for information. also, for my 970, msi afterburner still good or is evga's precision x better? i used afterburner in the past and it was fine, but that was like...4 years ago

Depends on the game, but overclocking won't cover all that you've lost in terms of framerate. You might have to consider turning down the graphics settings.

Oh, I meant that there are updates for multiple brands and I don't know what hardware I have (example: network drivers for Broadcom and Ralink for the same thing).

Where are you looking?

Namek

Neo Member
Currently have a i5 4570, the maximum my motherboard will support is a i7 4790k.

Is there any logical reason to upgrade? I use it for gaming, mainly.

RGM79

Currently have a i5 4570, the maximum my motherboard will support is a i7 4790k.

Is there any logical reason to upgrade? I use it for gaming, mainly.

What are you doing with the PC that the processor can't handle? Video editing? Computational work?

I need some more help.

So yesterday my PC started on it's own in the morning. Like I wasn't even near the PC.
Today, when I turn on my multiple socket outlet, the PC turned on again. What is going on ?

I am on Windows 10,

i5 6600k
GTX 970 MSI
16GB DDR4
ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K4 Z170

I need some more help.

So yesterday my PC started on it's own in the morning. Like I wasn't even near the PC.
Today, when I turn on my multiple socket outlet, the PC turned on again. What is going on ?

I am on Windows 10,

i5 6600k
GTX 970 MSI
16GB DDR4
Maybe see if wake-on-LAN is enabled in the bios.

knitoe

I need some more help.

I am on Windows 10,

i5 6600k
GTX 970 MSI
16GB DDR4
I had the same problem after going to Windows 10 on 1 of my 3 PCs. Disabling Fast Startup on that PC fixed the problem. If you have Windows installed on a SSD, you won't notice any difference.

RGM79

Right here. Oh and I bought the 750ti low profile GPU you recommend, do I download the latest driver now or wait until I install the drivers from the disc that comes in the box? Its MSI brand.
Unfortunately, you will need to figure out if your PC has Intel or Broadcom Ethernet, and the same for any other "duplicates". Check device manager a d see what the devices are called so you can match names of devices for what drivers they have.

As the the graphics card, get the latest compatible driver from the NVIDIA website after you install the graphics card.

I need some more help.

I am on Windows 10,

i5 6600k
GTX 970 MSI
16GB DDR4
Check BIOS settings for power options. There should be one setting that governs whether your PC will turn itself back on or not if it detects that it is connected to a live outlet again. Refer to motherboard manual.

So, the PC doesn't turn on when I turn on the power outlet, that is good. Thing is, the first time the PC turned itstelf on, it already had power. I guess I have to wait another 24h to see if it has anything to with the time.

kris.

Banned
so i figured if i'm gonna upgrade my case (definitely decided with the Define R5, the thing is sexy as hell), i've also decided to throw out my stock Intel heatsink and make the terrifying (i don't know why i'm afraid of doing this?) jump to watercooling and grab a Hydro H110i. i'm gonna have all of this fan space, might as well utilize it ayyy

so i figured if i'm gonna upgrade my case (definitely decided with the Define R5, the thing is sexy as hell), i've also decided to throw out my stock Intel heatsink and make the terrifying (i don't know why i'm afraid of doing this?) jump to watercooling and grab a Hydro H110i. i'm gonna have all of this fan space, might as well utilize it ayyy
What CPU?

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Like many others, I'm gearing up for VR. I was initially going to wait until Pascal but since it might not even release until late 2016, I'm thinking I should get a 970 instead and maybe jump to Pascal in a couple years. Regardless, anything will be a big upgrade from the GTX 460 that I have now.

I have a i5 2500k (stock), motherboard P8P67, 8 GB RAM, 550 W power supply (all of this from a 2011 build). Should I upgrade any of these to accommodate a 970?

Will be attempting to install and run mods later today on New Vegas.
Simple mods running on the manager seem easy but im concerned about textures/ENBs.
Ive got like a stack of them I want to run in tandem.

beast

Neo Member
Hi PC GAF ,

I want to buy a gpu for 1080p/60fps / high -ultra settngs .

My current setup is

i5 6600k
8 gb ddr4 3200
asus z170 mobo
psu 650w

What gpu you suggest ?

Hi PC GAF ,

I want to buy a gpu for 1080p/60fps / high -ultra settngs .

My current setup is

i5 6600k
8 gb ddr4 3200
asus z170 mobo
psu 650w

What gpu you suggest ?

970 is a very good 1080/60 card. Good price too. I have one myself and rarely have to go below high settings to maintain FPS.

But if you want to be more future proof and have the cash for it, 980/980ti.

I would argue the R9 390 is a better card and slightly cheaper than the 970. Unless power draw is a major concern.

Can't argue with you on that front.

But the power draw is the thing that pushed me personally to the 970 and it hasn't let me down so far. Either is still a fine choice.

Jyrii

Banned
I am planning to get Dark Souls 3 on day 1. Problem is my PC quite outdated.

I have HD5780, which was the minimal requirement for DS2. the minimal requirement for DS3 appears to be HD6870.

I really want to wait till Pascal, so should I just buy DS3 for Playstation, or would there be a chance that it would have similar performance on my PC?

Edit. I just noticed that it also requires at least i5 2500, guess my i7 950 bottlenecks too.

Have to go PS4 route I guess

bomblord1

Banned
Can't argue with you on that front.

But the power draw is the thing that pushed me personally to the 970 and it hasn't let me down so far. Either is still a fine choice.

It's also worth noting that the 970 can be OC'd further than the 390 (but both can get a decent OC going) if the original poster is interested in overclocking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom