• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jag

Any recommendations on Skylake motherboards?

Right now, I'm about to buy the Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151. My build is here and I went with the one posted in the OP, but wanted to make sure that it's still the recommended Mobo in that price range.

Quotient

Should we expect a nice influx of LGA1151 mini-itx motherboards over the next few months? Right now only the EVGA Stinger is available and it is a whopping $200.

It seems to be a smarter decision to build a skylake system, though the prices and availability of motherboards is not great right now.

Kwixotik

Best as in performance? Storage size?
I'm really on the fence. My old hard drive was 500GB and I'd like to have at least that, but I'm also sort of interested in getting a SSD. The best price I can find under $100 is for a 250GB SSD, which I'm on the fence about.

Short answer: very undecided

Trying to replace a monitor I inherited that is an Acer with some pretty bad scratches on it.

I have a budget of about 200$.

I want to try and get a 1080p as I only have a gtx760 and an i7 4770k.

Should I go for a 120/144ghz refresh rate? Do these exist in my budget? What about lightboost? Just need some guidance / suggestions.

SleazyC

Ok thansk! So as long as I don't see any artifacts/crashes I shouldn't touch the voltage? I'm a bit noob when it comes to OCing. My temps are at 70°C at max.
Keep an eye on temperature, look for artifacts and if you notice any crashing or BSOD you should maybe either try bumping the voltage or dropping your OC down. Some cards can only go so far but if you are only marginally OC'ing at the moment chances are you need to add just a little bit of voltage.

comrade

Trying to replace a monitor I inherited that is an Acer with some pretty bad scratches on it.

I have a budget of about 200$.

I want to try and get a 1080p as I only have a gtx760 and an i7 4770k.

Should I go for a 120/144ghz refresh rate? Do these exist in my budget? What about lightboost? Just need some guidance / suggestions.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B2HH7G0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

$239 and supports lightboost. Lightboost is best when the game you're playing can match the refresh rate.

I couldn't find anything cheaper that's 120/144hz and supports lightboost.

Thinking of replacing my Acer S240HLBID monitor. I currently have a 760 so I don't think I'd really benefit majorly from 1440p or higher refresh rates really. So I'm looking for a good 24" monitor at 1080p 60 Hz. I'm thinking of the Dell UltraSharp, but I'm needing a second opinion before deciding on something really.

Any help will be appreciated, thanks.

RGM79

I'm really on the fence. My old hard drive was 500GB and I'd like to have at least that, but I'm also sort of interested in getting a SSD. The best price I can find under $100 is for a 250GB SSD, which I'm on the fence about.

Well, when it comes to laptops it'd be very nice to have an SSD. No moving parts so it won't be damaged from impacts and sudden forces and movements. Extremely low power consumption.

For recommendations, there's the Crucial BX100 250GB ($84), Samsung 850 Evo 250GB ($90). If you're looking for more storage, then there's the Hitachi Travelstar 1TB drive ($63).

As far as I know, there aren't any drives larger than 1TB in the 2.5" size that fits laptops and costs under $100.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
http://www.futuremark.com/hardware/gpu

Look at this chart gaf.

Would you say the top 25 gpus should be able to last this gen at 1080p high-ultra?

I'm surprised the card I have, the 7870, is so high up there. I'm surprised I can run more recent games with high settings and still get 60fps. The only thing that has me on the fence about upgrading is VR. My original plan was just to upgrade if my card couldn't handle it but as the launch of the Vive draws near, I'm debating on just waiting out the first wave of hardware.

For a $200 card when I bought it, it sure has had quite the life.

Ultryx

Did you try my suggestion yet, though? It didn't work?

Sorry I didn't reply sooner! Missed that portion. Yeah that's the very first thing I tried, although I had no input on the TV or PC monitor. Screens blank and there was no light on the unit when I tried to switch inputs. Perhaps I got a faulty unit? That should have worked, no?

Edit: Yep. I tried it on just my TV also and there's still no lights on the unit or anything. I think it's busted.

RGM79

Sorry I didn't reply sooner! Missed that portion. Yeah that's the very first thing I tried, although I had no input on the TV or PC monitor. Screens blank and there was no light on the unit when I tried to switch inputs. Perhaps I got a faulty unit? That should have worked, no?
That's unfortunate. You should test it normally with the single end on the TV and multiple ends from your various devices to see if it works in the other way.

Ultryx

That's unfortunate. You should test it normally with the single end on the TV and multiple ends from your various devices to see if it works in the other way.

I'll give that a try. I just used a different port and there's no lights or anything. I think I might have a defective unit.

Kwixotik

Well, when it comes to laptops it'd be very nice to have an SSD. No moving parts so it won't be damaged from impacts and sudden forces and movements. Extremely low power consumption.

For recommendations, there's the Crucial BX100 250GB ($84), Samsung 850 Evo 250GB ($90). If you're looking for more storage, then there's the Hitachi Travelstar 1TB drive ($63).

As far as I know, there aren't any drives larger than 1TB in the 2.5" size that fits laptops and costs under $100.
I sprung for the BX100 500GB for $150 because I'm financially irresponsible. I'm excited though, haha. Thanks for the suggestions.

ClearData

An SSD can make an older laptop feel like a new machine. If you can supplement your storage capacity with an external hard drive or a flash drive I would say nab a cheap SSD.

LilJoka

http://www.futuremark.com/hardware/gpu

Look at this chart gaf.

Would you say the top 25 gpus should be able to last this gen at 1080p high-ultra?

Thing is, in a few years today's ultra/high setting will be more like medium. So with that in mind, yes no problem. People forget that PC graphics get better and better, with absolutely no limit on them due to continuous hardware refreshes, but console graphics barely progress much at all in comparison.

ClearData

I'd like to ask if any of you have experience buying used computer components and if you can give me any tips. I am trying to create a system for any testing or general experimentation I'd like to do as an I.T,. student and maybe play a game or two on my off time. Since most of my money is tied up in school I'm trying to do this as cheaply as possible. I've put an ad in the Buy/Sell/Trade thread, but I wondered if there were any other places. I've looked at the classified forums on Tom's Hardware, but at the moment have not consummated a sale there.

RGM79

I just had a chat with him and he's saying he can go up to a 1100$ max but just a few things to keep in mind:

1. He wants to add a Dvd drive and wireless card to the build so thats included in that price.
2. He also wants to get Ncix to build the PC for him so he'll be price matching the components and paying 50$ for it to be built.

So any further suggestions for this budget? Thanks a lot for your help so far though.
Sorry for the late reply.

Hmm, does he not mind going right up to $1100, or would he still prefer to spend less? Yes, a DVD drive and wifi connectivity are definitely doable. I can also make a parts list so that all of the items come from NCIX.

derder

Any recommendations on Skylake motherboards?

Right now, I'm about to buy the Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151. My build is here and I went with the one posted in the OP, but wanted to make sure that it's still the recommended Mobo in that price range.
I just bought the AR variant and it has a USB issues that I'm sorting out. Also, the Ethernet port didn't work without the driver cd. Actually the most painful build in a while.

Thing is, in a few years today's ultra/high setting will be more like medium. So with that in mind, yes no problem. People forget that PC graphics get better and better, with absolutely no limit on them due to continuous hardware refreshes, but console graphics barely progress much at all in comparison.

Unless you game on a laptop. ( Yes I'm a flithy laptop gamer but I have my reasons)

Unless your one of the lucky ones to have those rare laptops with upgradelable gpus your're also technically a console.

But I have hope in the future things will be better.

Josman

Is upgrading from a 4670k to a 6600k worth it? I'm reading very variable benchmarks, not sure if I should just upgrade the GPU or both CPU and GPU

paskowitz

Is upgrading from a 4670k to a 6600k worth it? I'm reading very variable benchmarks, not sure if I should just upgrade the GPU or both CPU and GPU

Not worth it unless you want the extra PCIE lanes for an SLI + super fast SSD setup. Just upgrade the GPU.

XBP

Sorry for the late reply.

Hmm, does he not mind going right up to $1100, or would he still prefer to spend less? Yes, a DVD drive and wifi connectivity are definitely doable. I can also make a parts list so that all of the items come from NCIX.

It can. He said he saved 200$ by borrowing a book for school instead of buying it, lol. So it would be 1100 minus 50 for the PC assembly. Maybe a build with a r9 380 would be possible now?

Thanks for helping me with this.

EDIT:

I talked to him about the case he chose and he said he'd be ok with a somewhat bigger case as well, like the corsair 300r for example.

RGM79

It can. He said he saved 200$ by borrowing a book for school instead of buying it, lol. So it would be 1100 minus 50 for the PC assembly. Maybe a build with a r9 380 would be possible now?

Thanks for helping me with this.

EDIT:

I talked to him about the case he chose and he said he'd be ok with a somewhat bigger case as well, like the corsair 300r for example.

Ok, here's what I recommend. All of the parts should be available from NCIX. Click on "price breakdown by merchant" to see how much it would cost to get it all from NCIX at normal prices. However, you can use NCIX's pricematching policy to get the lower prices that other retailers offer.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($224.50 @ shopRBC)
Motherboard: ASRock B85M-DGS Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($53.75 @ Vuugo)
Memory: Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($53.30 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: Toshiba Product Series:DT01ACA 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ NCIX)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB Superclocked Video Card ($289.22 @ DirectCanada)
Case: BitFenix Prodigy M Midnight MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($69.99 @ Memory Express)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($49.98 @ NCIX)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSC0 DVD/CD Writer ($17.94 @ DirectCanada)
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-N15 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($23.99 @ NCIX)
Monitor: Acer H236HLbid 60Hz 23.0" Monitor ($169.98 @ DirectCanada)
Total: $1012.64
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-27 01:13 EDT-0400

It would also be possible to go with a different case, but to make everything fit into the budget, every other part would stay the same. If he doesn't mind going with a cheaper case like the Fractal Core 1000 ($56 at NCIX, $45 elsewhere) which would save him $25 over the cost of the Bitfenix Prodigy M.

As for the graphics card, I recommend a model with 4GB of VRAM. The R9 380 is an option, but it's not quite as good a deal as the GTX 960 right now which comes with a free redeemable code for MGSV:TPP. Both cost the same and perform about the same in most games.

Guys do I plug the hd audio cable on the jaud 1 pin? What about the USB cable? jusb? Motherboard MSI X99A SLI PLUS

Sounds right to me. if you look at the plug and the pins on the motherboard, they should match up perfectly in layout and number.

RayStorm

No, it shouldn't. While I lack the knowledge as to why exactly it is at it is, in the digital age with cables transmitting digital signals and also communicating between devices (be it copy protection or other things) it has become more of a one way street than it was in the past.

Or in other words: A splitter just splits the output signal, and a switch just switches between different input signals.

JimPanzer

I want to add a SSD to my system. I'm currently having an eye on the Samsung MZ-7TE250BW Serie 840 EVO Basic and the Crucial BX100 both with 250GB. The Crucial SSD has a lower price, but also comes with a lower cache. Is it worth paying 50€ more and going for the Samsung SSD with the bigger cache?

pislit

I am now choosing between Define Mini and Sugo S09. I really like Define Mini but it seems like it's almost mid tower and basing on specs is close to my CM N400. Am I wrong? I like the S09's dimensions but I dont like the look. I'll choose it over the Define Mini if my concerns are warranted. I'll just mod the front of the case lol.

knitoe

I want to add a SSD to my system. I'm currently having an eye on the Samsung MZ-7TE250BW Serie 840 EVO Basic and the Crucial BX100 both with 250GB. The Crucial SSD has a lower price, but also comes with a lower cache. Is it worth paying 50€ more and going for the Samsung SSD with the bigger cache?
The BX100 is fine. You are not going to really see the difference unless you do lots of writes, video editing, copy large files and so on. If you never had a SSD before, you are in for a big treat, especially if it's going to be your OS drive.

XBP

Ok, here's what I recommend. All of the parts should be available from NCIX. Click on "price breakdown by merchant" to see how much it would cost to get it all from NCIX at normal prices. However, you can use NCIX's pricematching policy to get the lower prices that other retailers offer.

Storage: Toshiba Product Series:DT01ACA 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ NCIX)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB Superclocked Video Card ($289.22 @ DirectCanada)
Case: BitFenix Prodigy M Midnight MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($69.99 @ Memory Express)
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-N15 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($23.99 @ NCIX)

It would also be possible to go with a different case, but to make everything fit into the budget, every other part would stay the same. If he doesn't mind going with a cheaper case like the Fractal Core 1000 ($56 at NCIX, $45 elsewhere) which would save him $25 over the cost of the Bitfenix Prodigy M.

As for the graphics card, I recommend a model with 4GB of VRAM. The R9 380 is an option, but it's not quite as good a deal as the GTX 960 right now which comes with a free redeemable code for MGSV:TPP. Both cost the same and perform about the same in most games.

Thanks a lot for your help. I sent him the above setup and he really likes it. I changed two things in it though

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/

I changed the case to a corsair 300r as he wants that now :)S, I know) and went with the Asus VS228H-P as its on sale for 138 dollars. He has already ordered the monitor as the sale ends on the 31st and he'll get the remaining parts on the 1st.

JimPanzer

The BX100 is fine. You are not going to really see the difference unless you do lots of writes, video editing, copy large files and so on. If you never had a SSD before, you are in for a big treat, especially if it's going to be your OS drive.

yep never had one and will this set up as my OS :) Is there a good tutorial how to do it?

ruttyboy

Is anyone willing to help me decipher this table from the manual of the Gigabyte Gaming 3? I'm possibly being stupid but the manual offers little to no explanation in how to interpret this.

Am I right in thinking the following?

If I install a PCIe x4 SSD in each of the M.2 slots then:

• In AHCI mode - I can only use 2 of the 6 SATA ports (4 & 5) for other drives
  • In RAID mode - I can only use 1 of the 6 SATA ports (4) for other drives

(Ignoring SATA Express)

inG3HvY.png

DPB

I am now choosing between Define Mini and Sugo S09. I really like Define Mini but it seems like it's almost mid tower and basing on specs is close to my CM N400. Am I wrong? I like the S09's dimensions but I dont like the look. I'll choose it over the Define Mini if my concerns are warranted. I'll just mod the front of the case lol.

Have you considered the Sugo SG10? It has the same interior as the SG09, but a less ugly front panel.

Sounds right to me. if you look at the plug and the pins on the motherboard, they should match up perfectly in layout and number.
Thanks!

Is there any sort of marker on a motherboard that will tell you what kind of CPU socket it has? I'm in the need for a new CPU but the socket type requirements are confusing me.

EDIT: Nevermind. my older Mobo doesn't, but my newer one does. Odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom