• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaterTots

Banned
I'm looking to build a PC within the next month. I'm hoping since I'm only into a few franchises I won't have to spend a arm and leg.

[Basic Desktop Questions]

Your Current Specs:N/A

Budget: $500-$600/U.S.

Main Use: Web browsing, Netflix, and gaming.

Monitor Resolution: 1080p

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Mortal Kombat X(60 fps), Street Fighter V(60 fps), Gears of War Ultimate Edition(60 fps).

When will you build?: Hopefully, within the next month.

Will you be overclocking?: No.

I'm looking to build a PC within the next month. I'm hoping since I'm only into a few franchises I won't have to spend a arm and leg.

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Mortal Kombat X(60 fps), Street Fighter V(60 fps), Gears of War Ultimate Edition(60 fps).

Check out the "good" build in the OP.

SRG01

RAM prices for DDR3 are pretty good right now. Should I buy another 16GB (bringing my system to 32GB) for my rendering station, or should I just save up for that 980TI 8)

RGM79

Questions: Do you need any peripherals like monitor, keyboard, and mouse? A copy of Windows? You don't have an old PC that you could reuse certain parts from (hard drive? case? PSU?) to help with costs?

It's not that $600 won't do the job, though. Assuming the answer to the questions above is 'no' then I think a build like this will suit you well.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($176.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus H81M-D PLUS Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($49.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Team Dark 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($35.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Toshiba Product Series:DT01ACA 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($46.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: PNY GeForce GTX 960 4GB Video Card ($187.79 @ Amazon)
Case: Cougar Spike MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($33.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($27.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $559.62
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-25 11:52 EDT-0400

Vnp7oxv.png
  • Your Current Specs:
  • Budget: $2,000-ish/flexible/USA
  • Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest: Light Gaming 2, Gaming 5, Emulation (PS2/Wii) 3, Video Editing 2, Streaming games in HD 3, 3D/Model work (just SFM for now) 2, General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback) 2.
  • Monitor Resolution: What resolution will you be playing your games at? 1440p
    Are you going to upgrade later? No.
    Are you buying a new monitor? Will eventually pick up a G-sync monitor.
  • List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward, Witcher 3, Guild Wars 2
    Is 30FPS acceptable? No. 60? Yes. 120? Yes.
    How important is PhysX / SuperSampling / CUDA to you? Not particularly important but wouldn't mind having the option to mess with it.
  • Looking to reuse any parts?: Maybe Power Supply (currently have a Corsair CMPSU-850TX 850-Watt)
  • When will you build?: Within the next 2-3 weeks
  • Do you have a deadline?: Before the end of September
  • Will you be overclocking?: Yes

Currently looking to build a new rig (coming from i5-2500K/EVGA 780) and I've come up with the following so far:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GTX 104.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VIII HERO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($228.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($154.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($172.75 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($172.75 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($678.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($678.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 w/Window (Titanium) ATX Mid Tower Case ($117.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 1000W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($177.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case Fan: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (2-Pack) 39.9 CFM 120mm Fans ($24.15 @ NCIX US)
Case Fan: Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition 67.8 CFM 140mm Fan ($20.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $2808.56
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-25 00:56 EDT-0400

As for the monitor I'm currently using it is the Dell U3415W 60Hz 34". Also haven't decided yet if I'm going to get the second 980 Ti at the same time as the first. Any input/assistance on the build is appreciated.

That's a very high end build, if you're comfortable with the price, then there's nothing to hate about the choice of parts.

My cousin wants to build a new gaming PC so I though I'd get some suggestions from here. The budget includes a monitor and blu ray drive but not windows (getting it from reddit), keyboard and mouse.

Your Current Specs: N/A
Budget: $800(Canada)
Main Use: 5. Gaming , 4 Movies and General Use
Monitor Resolution: Already picked Asus VS229
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: All games by blizzard. Crpgs, older rpgs like fallout 1,2 / NeverWinter Nights / Might and Magic etc. He'll also be playing multiplatform games on this PC like mad max, no mans sky etc. He's more of a console gamer so visual fidelity doesn't interest him but frame rate does. He wants at least stable 30fps.
Looking to reuse any parts?: No
When will you build?: By next week
Will you be overclocking?: Maybe. He wont do it but I might overclock the PC for him.

He has already decided to get an Asus VS229 for a monitor and BitFenix Prodigy for a case. That leaves around 550$ for the remaining parts. Any suggestions would be really helpful.

An Intel PC on a $550 CAD budget probably won't have the ability to overclock, unless he doesn't mind going with the Pentium G3258.. which I think is an iffy proposition. What version of the Prodigy case is he looking at, the mITX or mATX model? Does he need an OS or any other peripherals?

Either way.. the choice of case and monitor is quite expensive, this is the best I can do (assuming the mATX version of the Prodigy case):

CPU: Intel Core i3-4170 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor ($144.74 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: Asus H81M-D PLUS Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($64.95 @ Vuugo)
Memory: G.Skill Value 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($51.99 @ Canada Computers)
Storage: Toshiba Product Series:DT01ACA 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ NCIX)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card ($149.99 @ Memory Express)
Power Supply: Cooler Master 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $541.65
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-25 12:09 EDT-0400

If he's not too attached to the Bitfenix Prodigy or the Asus VX229, I highly recommend going with cheaper alternatives to leave more money for a better processor or graphics card that will last longer before needing upgrades and be capable of higher framerates and/or graphics settings. How about this?

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($224.50 @ shopRBC)
Memory: G.Skill Value 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($51.99 @ Canada Computers)
Storage: Toshiba Product Series:DT01ACA 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ NCIX)
Case: Rosewill FBM-01 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($39.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ NCIX)
Monitor: Acer G226HQLBbd 60Hz 21.5" Monitor ($129.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Total: $791.37
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-25 12:15 EDT-0400

cormack12

Gold Member
So yesterday I was having issues and I've now come up with the following - is this likely to be faulty PSU?

I'm using the EVGA 650GS. So I can turn it on and boot to USB to install Windows. The PSU is making a very high pitched whine sound. Not alarming per se, just a steady high pitched (but not overly loud) noise. It didn't sound like the fan was on but it's at the side and I couldn't see in; either way the PSU didn't feel overly hot or anything.

So Windows get to about 86% copying files then the power goes off to the entire system. The CPU and its heatsink were spinning fine. The graphics card was powered on and its fans were also spinning quietly. I couldn't get power to run back through the system after this. Will try again in a bit. It looks as though occasionally the fan will move a cm or so like it's going to start but then doesn't.

I had 2 x PCI-E going to the Radeon 380, the 8 pin CPU and 2 x MB going into the motherboard connectors. And I had the HDD going into the SATA pins. Eco mode was off.

Suggestions/thoughts/help welcome

RGM79

So yesterday I was having issues and I've now come up with the following - is this likely to be faulty PSU?

I'm using the EVGA 650GS. So I can turn it on and boot to USB to install Windows. The PSU is making a very high pitched whine sound. Not alarming per se, just a steady high pitched (but not overly loud) noise. It didn't sound like the fan was on but it's at the side and I couldn't see in; either way the PSU didn't feel overly hot or anything.

So Windows get to about 86% copying files then the power goes off to the entire system. The CPU and its heatsink were spinning fine. The graphics card was powered on and its fans were also spinning quietly. I couldn't get power to run back through the system after this. Will try again in a bit. It looks as though occasionally the fan will move a cm or so like it's going to start but then doesn't.

I had 2 x PCI-E going to the Radeon 380, the 8 pin CPU and 2 x MB going into the motherboard connectors. And I had the HDD going into the SATA pins. Eco mode was off.

You're sure the noise was from the PSU? And the fan you're talking about is the CPU fan, right?

Disconnect the AC cord from the PSU and press the power button on the case to discharge any electricity still stored in the motherboard/PSU. Let it sit for maybe 15 or 20 minutes then reconnect and try again. Maybe even try a different wall socket or AC cord.

It's hard to troubleshoot PSU issues if you don't have a spare PC or PSU to swap with. That's really the only way to tell if it is the PSU or not, unless you have equipment to check things with like a multimeter as SRG01 says.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Since a tropical storm is forming near by, should I havre to do anything to my computer? Should I take the gpu out?

There will be alot of movement

SRG01

Do you have a hand-held voltmeter? You can use that to check the voltages on each of the rails.

If not, a high-pitched sound could indicate that a capacitor was bad and thus resulting in a failed power supply. There's a chance that it could be a failed capacitor on the motherboard too, but it's probably more likely it's the PSU than motherboard.

edit: you can also disconnect the PSU, then attempt to start the PSU manually to see if it powers on in the first place: http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-power-up-an-ATX-Power-Supply-without-a-PC/

cormack12

Gold Member
I used the EVGA Pin Test Tool provided. I plug it into the power outlet and the fan spins through for about 2 seconds. I'm not sure whether it's meant to stay on or go off though? Googling for more info as the small manual isn't very clear.

Redx508

I used the EVGA Pin Test Tool provided. I plug it into the power outlet and the fan spins through for about 2 seconds. I'm not sure whether it's meant to stay on or go off though? Googling for more info as the small manual isn't very clear.

do you have the ECO Control System ON in the back of the psu

cormack12

Gold Member
No it isn't in eco mode :)

So here goes. All I have connected at the moment is:

2 x power connectors from PSU to mobo
1 x HDD, SATA to mobo, power to PSU (also tried unplugging this as well)

I turn everything off, hit the power on button. There's a little click, like the PSU is going to kick in but it never does. The fan has a tiny jerk but never gets going.

Unplugged all the extra bits on mobo (like front audio & USB), graphics card is out. Trying to use mobo VGA out to diagnose.

Going with PSU or mobo? Have a case open with EVGA but don't know how good their support is. Is it more likely to be mobo or PSU you reckon?

RGM79

Eco mode off? The PSU's fan should keep spinning.

My PC got completely trashed, and I have to order a new one. However, I have a budget, and I was wondering if you guys could tell me how good the 970 is. Can it run the most technical games ( like the Witcher 3) at a full 1080 and 60 fps with all settings maxed? Also, looking towards the future, do you think it will continue to be able to run the most intense games at that level?

GutsOfThor

So my 9 year old Windows Vista pc is slowly but surely dying and Newegg is offering this combo deal for $269. This seem like a good deal?

AMD A10-5800K Trinity 3.8GHz quad-core APU w/ Radeon HD 7660D, gigabyte a68 mobo, adata xpg 8gb memory, zotac 120gb ssd, seagate barracuda 1tb hdd, logisys cs136bk case w/ 480 W Psu.

That's a very high end build, if you're comfortable with the price, then there's nothing to hate about the choice of parts.

Yeah it's been about 4 years since I've touched anything inside my current rig and I'm feeling the need to upgrade especially now that I'm gaming at 3440x1440. Only things I haven't locked down 100% are the 980 Tis (because of Pascal next year) and the 6600K (I'd like to use Source Film Maker and a few other things).

RGM79

My PC got completely trashed, and I have to order a new one. However, I have a budget, and I was wondering if you guys could tell me how good the 970 is. Can it run the most technical games ( like the Witcher 3) at a full 1080 and 60 fps with all settings maxed? Also, looking towards the future, do you think it will continue to be able to run the most intense games at that level?
Nope. See here for how well the GTX 970 handles Witcher 3. For other games you'll have to look up benchmarks, but generally the GTX 970 isn't quite capable of maxing out the latest and greatest at 1080p60. Lower a few settings that strangle performance (like Witcher 3's hairworks or GTAV's grass and MSAA) and you'll come close to or achieve 60FPS, though.

So my 9 year old Windows Vista pc is slowly but surely dying and Newegg is offering this combo deal for $269. This seem like a good deal?

AMD A10-5800K Trinity 3.8GHz quad-core APU w/ Radeon HD 7660D, gigabyte a68 mobo, adata xpg 8gb memory, zotac 120gb ssd, seagate barracuda 1tb hdd, logisys cs136bk case w/ 480 W Psu.
How much does it cost?

Yeah it's been about 4 years since I've touched anything inside my current rig and I'm feeling the need to upgrade especially now that I'm gaming at 3440x1440. Only things I haven't locked down 100% are the 980 Tis (because of Pascal next year) and the 6600K (I'd like to use Source Film Maker and a few other things).

I would go with the 6700K, a single 980 Ti (add another later if you feel you need it), and a single SSD (maybe a 1TB if the price is similar to 2*512).

Nope. See here for how well the GTX 970 handles Witcher 3. For other games you'll have to look up benchmarks, but generally the GTX 970 isn't quite capable of maxing out the latest and greatest at 1080p60. Lower a few settings that strangle performance (like Witcher 3's hairworks or GTAV's grass and MSAA) and you'll come close to or achieve 60FPS, though.

How much does it cost?
I'm guessing that's the $269 he mentioned?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Quick, simple question... if I've got Win7 on my HDD - but switching over to SSD... I need to reinstall the OS on it right? With the disk and all that?

Kezen

Banned
My PC got completely trashed, and I have to order a new one. However, I have a budget, and I was wondering if you guys could tell me how good the 970 is. Can it run the most technical games ( like the Witcher 3) at a full 1080 and 60 fps with all settings maxed?
No and the contrary would be extremely disappointing. You will have to drop settings to reach 1080p/60fps, because many games thankfully scale beyond a 970.

Also, looking towards the future, do you think it will continue to be able to run the most intense games at that level?
No and once again this is a very good thing. I don't want games fidelity to be capped at what a 970 can handle. There is no reason to be artificially restricted by X hardware on PC, this is not a console.
Max settings always evolve, so higher grade hardware will always be necessary to run them at 60fps.

It's called progress. Other graphical presets exist for a reason.

I really want to pull the trigger, but I want it to pass Gaf approval, never built a PC before:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/nsTdQ7

Thoughts?

I have an SSD and two 2TBHDs already.

Looks good, however something to point out. Microcenter has bundles, if you can make it to the store. The CPU/Mobo in your build is $324.99 with that rebate. However they have a i7-4790K + Asrock Z97 PRO4 deal for $354.98 or a i5-4690k + the same mobo for $274.98.

Just giving ya some other options.

http://www.microcenter.com/site/brands/intel-processor-bundles.aspx

I think someone mentioned that most stores will have them in stock the 2nd week of September. Take this time to refine your build, research, etc. I know I will be doing this.

No other choice but to wait a bit then.

I'm still refining a few small details but I'm definitely getting things like my R5 out of the way.

No other choice but to wait a bit then.

I'm still refining a few small details but I'm definitely getting things like my R5 out of the way.

I'm more concerned about my nh-d15 cooler. It seems to be out of stock in most places.

Edit: Never rely on PC Part Picker. Looks to be in stock at both newegg and amazon.

Quick, simple question... if I've got Win7 on my HDD - but switching over to SSD... I need to reinstall the OS on it right? With the disk and all that?

I just used the cloning utility that came with the drive (Samsung in my case), and surprisingly had no issues. So I'd try that first. You can always wipe it and start over fresh later if you want.

RGM79

Not necessarily. You can do that if you want (to refresh your PC and start on a clean slate) but it is also possible and slightly faster to clone your existing Windows installation and stuff over to the new drive. See these two related guides for info and instructions:

http://www.howtogeek.com/199068/how-to-upgrade-your-existing-hard-drive-in-under-an-hour/
http://www.howtogeek.com/97242/how-to-migrate-windows-7-to-a-solid-state-drive/

I really want to pull the trigger, but I want it to pass Gaf approval, never built a PC before:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/nsTdQ7

Thoughts?

I have an SSD and two 2TBHDs already.
You'll probably want shorter RAM. That model of Corsair RAM is kinda tall and will possibly cause the 212 Evo's fan to not fit into the case and/or you won't be able to fit the side panel on the case. I recommend this 2x8GB kit of Kingston 1866MHz RAM for $80 instead. It's cheaper, about as fast, and shorter which makes it guaranteed to fit.

Corsair's CX line of power supplies are generally only average quality. Instead you could get this EVGA Supernova B2 750 watt semi-modular power supply ($50 after rebate) which is higher quality and wattage for an even lower price after rebate.

Nothing wrong with the MSI Gaming 4G, but the highly comparable and slightly higher factory OC'd EVGA SuperSuperClocked GTX 970 model ($315) is roughly $20 cheaper even after rebate.

TheMink

You'll probably want shorter RAM. That model of Corsair RAM is kinda tall and will possibly cause the 212 Evo's fan to not fit into the case and/or you won't be able to fit the side panel on the case. I recommend this 2x8GB kit of Kingston 1866MHz RAM for $80 instead. It's cheaper, about as fast, and shorter which makes it guaranteed to fit.

Corsair's CX line of power supplies are generally only average quality. Instead you could get this EVGA Supernova B2 750 watt semi-modular power supply ($50 after rebate) which is higher quality and wattage for an even lower price after rebate.

Nothing wrong with the MSI Gaming 4G, but the highly comparable and slightly higher factory OC'd EVGA SuperSuperClocked GTX 970 model ($315) is roughly $20 cheaper even after rebate.

This look good? I just copied in those alternates but I want to make sure I didn't make a mistake.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/8kD8gs

XBP

An
Intel PC on a $550 CAD budget probably won't have the ability to overclock, unless he doesn't mind going with the Pentium G3258.. which I think is an iffy proposition. What version of the Prodigy case is he looking at, the mITX or mATX model? Does he need an OS or any other peripherals?

Either way.. the choice of case and monitor is quite expensive, this is the best I can do (assuming the mATX version of the Prodigy case):

Power Supply: Cooler Master 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $541.65
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-25 12:09 EDT-0400

If he's not too attached to the Bitfenix Prodigy or the Asus VX229, I highly recommend going with cheaper alternatives to leave more money for a better processor or graphics card that will last longer before needing upgrades and be capable of higher framerates and/or graphics settings. How about this?

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($224.50 @ shopRBC)
Case: Rosewill FBM-01 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($39.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ NCIX)
Monitor: Acer G226HQLBbd 60Hz 21.5" Monitor ($129.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Total: $791.37
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-25 12:15 EDT-0400

It's the mitx case. I'm pretty sure I can convince him to get a different monitor but he's pretty set on that case. What if he goes with an i3 and bumps up his gpu to something like a gtx 960? Would something like this be possible?

pislit

Ok, my quest for an Mini-ITX mobo is over. Looking for the smallest micro-atx case with enough space for a regular sized video card (max 11 inch) and (optionally, not a dealbreaker) can fit a regular PSU.

For the next few months Ill be carrying this PC on a bus ride, motorcycle ride, boondocks realness weekly, so footprint and bulkiness should be minimal. Im looking at define mini but it seems like it's larger than most micro atx cases based on specs. Enlighten me GAF.

RGM79

It's the mitx case. I'm pretty sure I can convince him to get a different monitor but he's pretty set on that case. What if he goes with an i3 and bumps up his gpu to something like a gtx 960? Would something like this be possible?

Well, getting an mITX motherboard to match the mITX version of the Prodigy case will cost more money, as mITX motherboards cost quite a bit more. The mATX motherboards I recommended were only around $65, but those mITX motherboards are expensive and reviews for the three cheapest models are only so-so, averaging 3/5 stars.

Did he already buy the mITX version or can you get him to order the mATX version of the Bitfenix Prodigy instead?

I don't think it's possible to fit the GTX 960 into the budget if mITX is required. That example build I gave you with the i3 and a GTX 750 Ti already assumed he could use a cheaper mATX motherboard. Going with an mITX size motherboard will cost more and leave even less money for the processor and graphics card.

Edit: If he hasn't bought the case yet, I think I can make it work. Memory Express is selling the black version of the mATX Prodigy M for $70, which is a decent price considering the Prodigy normally goes for around $100. I'm working on a parts list and I'll post it in a few minutes. Here's the parts list, hopefully it works for you and him.

Motherboard: ASRock B85M-DGS Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($53.75 @ Vuugo)
Memory: Team Elite Plus 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB SuperSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($229.99 @ Memory Express)
Case: BitFenix Prodigy M Midnight MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($69.99 @ Memory Express)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($49.98 @ NCIX)
Monitor: LG 22M45D 60Hz 21.5" Monitor ($128.88 @ Canada Computers)
Total: $787.31
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-25 21:41 EDT-0400

It's heavy on mail in rebates, but that's just how it is. No way around that and still fit into the budget in the end.

Ok, my quest for an Mini-ITX mobo is over. Looking for the smallest micro-atx case with enough space for a regular sized video card (max 11 inch) and (optionally, not a dealbreaker) can fit a regular PSU.

For the next few months Ill be carrying this PC on a bus ride, motorcycle ride, boondocks realness weekly, so footprint and bulkiness should be minimal. Im looking at define mini but it seems like it's larger than most micro atx cases based on specs. Enlighten me GAF.

Do you have a budget in mind? There aren't many cases with carrying handles.. if you want something compact.. there's Silverstone's SG09 and SG10 (same interior, different frontal design). They're mATX tower types, but they have a squat cube-like shape because they mount the power supply in the front instead of above or below the motherboard in a typical tower case.

They retail for about $90~110 according to PCPartPicker.

pislit

Do you have a budget in mind? There aren't many cases with carrying handles.. if you want something compact.. there's Silverstone's SG09 and SG10 (same interior, different frontal design). They're mATX tower types, but they have a squat cube-like shape because they mount the power supply in the front instead of above or below the motherboard in a typical tower case.

They retail for about $90~110 according to PCPartPicker.

For reference, my current case is CM N400, and I can carry it with me on commute and got no problems (I have a big bag) with weight or dimensions. But it's too big to put on my lap during the bus rides that I have to put it on the aisle or the situation gets very dangerous during motorcycle rides since I have to let it cling on one side or put the PC over my shank. Having no handles is fine with me. I like the form factor of SG10/SG09, but are there anything else that is less speaker-looking than these two? I like minimal looks. I can go around 150 but not more.

I'd take note of SG10/SG09's dimensions make them as reference for the size. Thanks for the rec!

Ultryx

A little off topic, but I was hoping to get some help with this. I ordered an HDMI switcher that has three ports on it for HDMI devices. It came today and I have no clue how to set this thing up and there are essentially zero directions for this. I know it must be simple, but I've never used anything like this before.

I currently have a dual monitor setup running on my PC. One of the monitors connects to the HDMI port and another I have connected via a converter that changes the DVI (I think) to HDMI. I also have my TV on the other side of the room that runs on HDMI. When I want to use Steam's Big Picture Mode, I have to unplug one of my monitors and swap that HDMI cable in. I should be able to set this up so that I have my two monitors running and can just turn one off and swap it for the TV easily, no? I have no idea about how to set this up.

This is the product I have, for reference: http://www.amazon.com/Fosmon-HD1831-3-Port-Switch-Pigtail/dp/B008GVOVK0/ref=sr_1_2?s=audio-video-accessories&ie=UTF8&qid=1440559928&sr=1-2&keywords=hdmi+switcher

Does the pigtail end plug into one of the ports on my GPU... or what the hell?

RGM79

A little off topic, but I was hoping to get some help with this. I ordered an HDMI switcher that has three ports on it for HDMI devices. It came today and I have no clue how to set this thing up and there are essentially zero directions for this. I know it must be simple, but I've never used anything like this before.

I currently have a dual monitor setup running on my PC. One of the monitors connects to the HDMI port and another I have connected via a converter that changes the DVI (I think) to HDMI. I also have my TV on the other side of the room that runs on HDMI. When I want to use Steam's Big Picture Mode, I have to unplug one of my monitors and swap that HDMI cable in. I should be able to set this up so that I have my two monitors running and can just turn one off and swap it for the TV easily, no? I have no idea about how to set this up.

This is the product I have, for reference: http://www.amazon.com/Fosmon-HD1831-3-Port-Switch-Pigtail/dp/B008GVOVK0/ref=sr_1_2?s=audio-video-accessories&ie=UTF8&qid=1440559928&sr=1-2&keywords=hdmi+switcher

Does the pigtail end plug into one of the ports on my GPU... or what the hell?
Wait.. looking back at your initial posts about this.. it sounds like what you want is to have all three plugged in at the same time.. you want more outputs out of your graphics card. A switch doesn't let you do that. A switch lets you put more inputs into a display. Which graphics card do you have exactly?

I'm a bit confused. Did Liljoka and you mean that you wanted to use the switch in reverse? Plug the switch's single end into your graphics card, and then plug in one HDMI cable leading to a monitor and the second to your TV, then just press the button to change outputs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom