• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's the free version of HD Tune, it does some basic checking. I'm not sure how useful it can be if you have problems reading from the hard drive, though. You may not even be able to run the tests.

If you want recommendations for reliable hard drive storage, around here we tend to go toward Western Digital, Hitachi, HGST, and Toshiba. They are generally decent brands to buy. Seagate can also be good, depending on the model. I don't think there are universal/globally applicable statistics for hard drive failure rate, and hard drive failure is not dependent on just the brand but also factors like how the hard drives are being used and how they are stored.

I'm gonna try this programs myself. Windows 10 keeps on giving me a pop up every now and again saying one of my hard drives is failing but any checks I run against that hard drive say it's fine

valouris

[Basic Desktop Questions]
Vnp7oxv.png
  • Your Current Specs: Nada, looking to build from scratch, sans GPU
  • Budget: Price Range + Country: ~800 Euros, Greece
  • Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest: Light Gaming (5), Gaming (5), Emulation (PS2/Wii) (3), Video Editing (2), Streaming games in HD (0), 3D/Model work (0), General Usage (5).
  • Monitor Resolution: 1680x1050 monitor, but 1080p TV, not at the same time
  • List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Is 30FPS acceptable? 60? 120? How important is PhysX / SuperSampling / CUDA to you?
  • Looking to reuse any parts?: I will use a 2Gb 7870 initially, and upgrade it down the line, and a 120Gb Samsung 840 Pro for the OS
  • When will you build?: Dunno, no deadlines
  • Will you be overclocking?: Maybe

So, looking to build a new desktop from scratch, without a GPU (will use a 7870 2Gb from an older desktop). I am looking for a really good CPU+M/B combo that will hopefully last 4-5 years. I am mainly looking for advice on PSU and M/B, that I don't know much about. I am looking at new gen intels, with 16GB DDR4.

I came up with this, for 790 euros, what do you think?

bto.png

valouris

Sorry if dumb question but my friend got a new PC with these parts:

i5-6400 2.7GHz
AMD R9 380 4GB
Gigabyte Socket 1151 GA-B150M
8 GB of RAM
Carbide Series SPEC-01 Tower
Also an SSD

Will he need extra cooling or is he alright?He mainly plays games like Witcher 3 etc.

It's always better to have a non-stock cooler. However, if he's not looking to overclock, stock cooler usually suffices. What I usually do is buy the system with stock cooling, and down the line, if I want to overclock or if I am not happy with the temperatures, install a new cooler.

Also, a roomy case, good air supply/control, and good dust cleaning go a long way to keeping temps down.

bbd23

hey guys I got my ssd and hdd up and running

boot times are crazy fast but windows seems to be very slow when I get into it...however when im able to get into the bios and exit out of it everything is fine on windows side...

what could be the problem here?

hey guys I got my ssd and hdd up and running

boot times are crazy fast but windows seems to be very slow when I get into it...however when im able to get into the bios and exit out of it everything is fine on windows side...

what could be the problem here?

Is it slow to show the login screen, or slow to get to the desktop, or slow to finish loading on the desktop?

it gets to the log in fast
typing in my password seems slow and when I get to the desktop its slow

OK, just to make sure we're on the right track before continuing:

What CPU?

What memory (RAM)?

What model SSD?

What motherboard?

By "login is slow", do you mean the part after you type in your password and Windows starts loading the rest of your user data and stuff, or the part while you type in your password?

By "desktop is slow", do you mean the desktop is unresponsive for extended periods of time after the desktop wallpaper shows up?

Is this a reinstallation, or imaged from an existing HDD install?

Does the HDD activity LED light/flicker while you experience slowdown?

I have a bunch of best buy gift cards to use, trying to decide between these two 4k monitors:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-28-4k-uhd-monitor-black/7662137.p?id=1219285526706&skuId=7662137

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-27...lack/2438098.p?id=1219630512068&skuId=2438098

It's going to be a second screen with my current rig which right now has a GTX 760 and 1080p 21.5" IPS monitor. It will mostly be for watching 4k video because my gpu is probably too weak for 4k gaming (but eventually I will upgrade my gpu). Which monitor would you go with? Thanks in advance.

Ac30

Is it normal for GPUs to start requiring more juice as they age? My 2+ year old 290 Tri-X OC is starting to artifact at stock volts, but after upping the voltage a bit it's back to normal and temps are still under 80.

thenexus6

Has anyone here shopped with Ebuyer before? I made an order for my components yesterday and there is a order status colour next to each item but the site doesn't tell you what each colour means.

Does anyone know?

bbd23

OK, just to make sure we're on the right track before continuing:

What CPU?

What memory (RAM)?

What model SSD?

What motherboard?

By "login is slow", do you mean the part after you type in your password and Windows starts loading the rest of your user data and stuff, or the part while you type in your password?

By "desktop is slow", do you mean the desktop is unresponsive for extended periods of time after the desktop wallpaper shows up?

Is this a reinstallation, or imaged from an existing HDD install?

Does the HDD activity LED light/flicker while you experience slowdown?

i5-3570k
g skill 8GB RAM
SAMSUNG EVO 850
asrock z77 pro 3

it happens while I type my password
desktop slow meaning things seem to hang for a while, click things on the start menu takes a while to register

clean install of windows 10 on the ssd

no flickering

Unstable

Hey everyone. I posted this in the Dark Souls PC thread;

"Here's a question, how hard is it to achieve 1080p 60? My GF is a huge souls fan, and with me being a PC gamer, I couldn't consciously let her play @ 30fps. Currently she has a FX-6300 & 750 Ti. Now I'm fairly certain a 750 Ti is not hitting 60.

Any suggestions on what to upgrade to?"

I'd also add that the reason I'm trying to upgrade is Dark Souls 3. As much as I'd love to wait for Pascal or Polaris to drop, I can't. My budget is flexible and I'm willing to buy used. I'm thinking ~$150. Currently, I've received two offers. A R9 290 @ $175 and R9 a 280x @ $120. But what do you guys think?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I'm gonna try this programs myself. Windows 10 keeps on giving me a pop up every now and again saying one of my hard drives is failing but any checks I run against that hard drive say it's fine

i5-3570k
g skill 8GB RAM
SAMSUNG EVO 850
asrock z77 pro 3

it happens while I type my password
desktop slow meaning things seem to hang for a while, click things on the start menu takes a while to register

clean install of windows 10 on the ssd

no flickering
Hmm. Is everything installed under Device Manager?
Unplug everything but Keyboard and swap the port to a USB 2.0 if you have it when you boot the computer.
Sounds like could be a device short.
Hey everyone. I posted this in the Dark Souls PC thread;

"Here's a question, how hard is it to achieve 1080p 60? My GF is a huge souls fan, and with me being a PC gamer, I couldn't consciously let her play @ 30fps. Currently she has a FX-6300 & 750 Ti. Now I'm fairly certain a 750 Ti is not hitting 60.

Any suggestions on what to upgrade to?"

I'd also add that the reason I'm trying to upgrade is Dark Souls 3. As much as I'd love to wait for Pascal or Polaris to drop, I can't. My budget is flexible and I'm willing to buy used. I'm thinking ~$150. Currently, I've received two offers. A R9 290 @ $175 and R9 a 280x @ $120. But what do you guys think?
Used 290 for sure.

Swig_

I'm looking for speaker suggestions. I have a 5.1 Creative system that is close to 10 years old. It still works and sounds great, but the center channel has some really annoying static. It's not the speaker, as I swapped it out and is still a problem.

I'm not sure if I should get something like a Logitech system or go for something like studio monitors. I don't know much about these things. I would like surround sound, but it's not necessary.

This would be mostly for gaming, some TV/YouTube movies and occasionally, music.

LilJoka

I'm looking for speaker suggestions. I have a 5.1 Creative system that is close to 10 years old. It still works and sounds great, but the center channel has some really annoying static. It's not the speaker, as I swapped it out and is still a problem.

I'm not sure if I should get something like a Logitech system or go for something like studio monitors. I don't know much about these things. I would like surround sound, but it's not necessary.

This would be mostly for gaming, some TV/YouTube movies and occasionally, music.

My advice is always: get some hi-fi quality 2nd hand bookshelf speakers and a 2nd hand stereo amp.

Thraktor

[Basic Desktop Questions]
Vnp7oxv.png
  • Your Current Specs: Nada, looking to build from scratch, sans GPU
  • Budget: Price Range + Country: ~800 Euros, Greece
  • Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest: Light Gaming (5), Gaming (5), Emulation (PS2/Wii) (3), Video Editing (2), Streaming games in HD (0), 3D/Model work (0), General Usage (5).
  • Monitor Resolution: 1680x1050 monitor, but 1080p TV, not at the same time
  • List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Is 30FPS acceptable? 60? 120? How important is PhysX / SuperSampling / CUDA to you?
  • Looking to reuse any parts?: I will use a 2Gb 7870 initially, and upgrade it down the line, and a 120Gb Samsung 840 Pro for the OS
  • When will you build?: Dunno, no deadlines
  • Will you be overclocking?: Maybe

So, looking to build a new desktop from scratch, without a GPU (will use a 7870 2Gb from an older desktop). I am looking for a really good CPU+M/B combo that will hopefully last 4-5 years. I am mainly looking for advice on PSU and M/B, that I don't know much about. I am looking at new gen intels, with 16GB DDR4.

I came up with this, for 790 euros, what do you think?

bto.png

You'll need a Z170 motherboard if you want to overclock that CPU (which should help it last as long as you want it to). A cooler like the CM 212 EVO would be a big help for overclocking as well, as it'll allow you to reach higher clock speeds, and will be a lot quieter than the stock cooler as well.

LilJoka

I don't know anything about this kind of setup. Do I need a subwoofer? I love deep bass. Can I do surround with this?

You can't do surround unless you get a 5.1 system or even 5 bookshelfs, sub isn't necessary if you get good speakers. Depends on budget. If budget allows, you get speakers and a sub.
If you go 2nd hand all round you'll be looking at ~800£+ for 5.1 with a HDMI AVR (AV receiver). A good AVR can cost £500 on its own, depending on the features you may like.

Movie bass (10-40hz) needs a sub.

Would you have a budget in mind?

Can someone explain overclocking to me as if I were an idiot? I've had it explained before but still didn't really understand.

Would you like the concept explained or a guide? For the latter state your full pc specs.

Swig_

You can't do surround unless you get a 5.1 system or even 5 bookshelfs, sub isn't necessary if you get good speakers. Depends on budget. If budget allows, you get speakers and a sub.
If you go 2nd hand all round you'll be looking at ~800£+ for 5.1 with a HDMI AVR (AV receiver). A good AVR can cost £500 on its own, depending on the features you may like.

Movie bass (10-40hz) needs a sub.

Would you have a budget in mind?

I'm not sure. I'm open, but I'm not an audiophile who needs the absolute best. I'm also looking at buying an ultrawide soon, which will probably be $800+, so I want to stay reasonable. If the sound is similar to what I have now, maybe slightly better, I'd be happy.

I've seen studio monitors for $150ish for two speakers. I'm not sure what the difference is. Powered, maybe?

LilJoka

I'm not sure. I'm open, but I'm not an audiophile who needs the absolute best. I'm also looking at buying an ultrawide soon, which will probably be $800+, so I want to stay reasonable. If the sound is similar to what I have now, maybe slightly better, I'd be happy.

I've seen studio monitors for $150ish for two speakers. I'm not sure what the difference is. Powered, maybe?

I think for a decent stereo setup with an amp you might be looking at 3-400$.

Possibly powered yes, I've not bought powered speakers so I'm not an expert there.

The concept.

It's just increasing clock speeds such that the CPU or GPU is running faster than the stock specification yielding more performance. For the CPU we do that via the BIOS and for the GPU we use software like MSI Afterburner.
The CPU clock is simply generated by a 100mhz reference clock called the base clock (bclk) multiplied by a multiplier which we can set. So bclk x multiplier = cpu clock speed; 100mhz x 40 = 4000Mhz or 4Ghz.

cHinzo

Would an i7 6700 be fine for the next couple of years? I can get a tray for €225 (without warranty though, I don't know how often a CPU malfunctions, but it seems like a great deal) or should I go for an i5 6500 boxed with warranty for €215?

Ac30

At what price would you consider the 280x? As the seller is willing to do $100 for it. Considering this is a temporary upgrade until big Polaris/Pascal releases.

Is it aftermarket cooled? To me that seems like a heck of a deal for a stopgap, if you're certain you'll upgrade for Polaris/Pascal.

Considering building a gaming PC sometime soon, never built one before, starting from scratch, just wondering if there is any glaring issues with my part list below:

Also my main goal is to be able to play AAA games on high settings at 60 fps (on my 1080p tv). So games like Just Cause 3 and Dark Souls 3.

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/FnX4RB
Price breakdown by merchant: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/FnX4RB/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor ($155.25 @ shopRBC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($139.88 @ Canada Computers)
Memory: Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($45.00 @ shopRBC)
Storage: Sandisk Solid State Drive 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($59.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.98 @ DirectCanada)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card ($434.99 @ NCIX)
Case: Antec One ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.98 @ NCIX)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.98 @ NCIX)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($124.00 @ shopRBC)
Keyboard: Logitech K360 Wireless Mini Keyboard ($29.97 @ Amazon Canada)
Total: $1184.02

valouris

You'll need a Z170 motherboard if you want to overclock that CPU (which should help it last as long as you want it to). A cooler like the CM 212 EVO would be a big help for overclocking as well, as it'll allow you to reach higher clock speeds, and will be a lot quieter than the stock cooler as well.

Thanks for the reply. I figured as much for the H170 vs Z170 and already decided to go for the latter, it's only 20 euros more, and it supports much higher RAM clocks, I think. I won't go for the cooler yet, maybe down the line when I upgrade the GPU and try overclocking the CPU. Any comments on the PSU? Will it suffice (for future GPU upgrade as well)? Could I go for something cheaper? What about the case? Any cheaper recommendations?

Studio monitors are fine for gaming (for everything for that matter) and I strongly prefer them to hi fi ones of the same price. I use two Yamaha HS80s with a RME400 audio card for gaming too and I've been happy for years.

If you are only going to do gaming with them, you'd just need a Steinberg UR22 audio card (149$) and a couple powered monitors, anything from Yamaha, KRK, Mackie or even Behringer.

Unstable

Managed to snag the 290 for $150.

Team red stays winning.

I'm also considering getting the 280x. I was planing on using the 750 ti for a HTPC build, but that price is very attractive.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Managed to snag the 290 for $150.

Team red stays winning.

I'm also considering getting the 280x. I was planing on using the 750 ti for a HTPC build, but that price is very attractive.
I'd stick with the 750Ti from a power/heat perspective

Unstable

I'd stick with the 750Ti from a power/heat perspective

That's a good call. Although, maybe HTPC is a tad bit of a misnomer, I have a Corsair Air 240 that I was planning on using. So airflow would be good. You're right about the power consumption. Decisions... Decisions...

woodland

Does your graphics card have 2GB of VRAM by any chance? Cause it all makes sense then, it's a 32 bit Windows which means 4 GB usable minus the Vram (which is accounted in the 4 if I recall correctly)

It's the 970 SSC ACX 2.0+, which has 4gb of VAM I believe - plus, like I said its Windows 10 64-bit version ;\ Really confused why the HDD/RAM usage is so high/not being recognized.

SugarDave

Okay, so I finally decided to overclock my GPU and I'm almost sure I know what I'm doing. I seem to have hit a bit of a snag though, I have the core clock offset at +120MHz putting the card at 1512MHz but after increasing it and running the Heaven benchmark again, the boost clock still caps right there. I have the power limit set to 112, could this be some kind of safeguard built into the GPU?

I'm using the Gigabyte G1 GTX 970 with the latest drivers installed and MSI Afterburner to OC.

EDIT: Just realised there was a separate thread for overclocking in the OP, sorry.

Ac30

Is it normal for GPUs to start requiring more juice as they age? My 2+ year old 290 Tri-X OC is starting to artifact at stock volts, but after upping the voltage a bit it's back to normal and temps are still under 80.

Sorry to bump this, but I'd like to ensure that my card isn't about to die :/ Warranty just expired...

Oxn

Cra crap crap

So ive been planning on migrating my computer from atx to mini itx, and i just found a problem.

Mini itx boards only have 2 fan connectors. I was planning on using an AIO water cooler with my new build. So 1 intake fan, and 1 fan on the water cooler and that takes up the 2 slots. I never accounted for the pump connector. What can i do? Is there a workaround? I do not have enough fan connectors.

RayStorm

Thanks for the reply. I figured as much for the H170 vs Z170 and already decided to go for the latter, it's only 20 euros more, and it supports much higher RAM clocks, I think. I won't go for the cooler yet, maybe down the line when I upgrade the GPU and try overclocking the CPU.

As far as I'm aware unlocked Skylake CPUs such as the i5-6600K come without a boxed cooler. So you most certainly want to buy a separate CPU cooler.

Mini itx boards only have 2 fan connectors. I was planning on using an AIO water cooler with my new build. So 1 intake fan, and 1 fan on the water cooler and that takes up the 2 slots. I never accounted for the pump connector. What can i do? Is there a workaround? I do not have enough fan connectors.

There are Y-cables that allow you to connect multiple fans to one outlet. Or adapter cables to connect them to molex power connectors from the PSU. There's also a chance that any cooling solution with multiple fans included also comes with a Y-cable to connect both to the same connector.

kuYuri

Considering building a gaming PC sometime soon, never built one before, starting from scratch, just wondering if there is any glaring issues with my part list below:

Also my main goal is to be able to play AAA games on high settings at 60 fps (on my 1080p tv). So games like Just Cause 3 and Dark Souls 3.

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/FnX4RB
Price breakdown by merchant: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/FnX4RB/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor ($155.25 @ shopRBC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($139.88 @ Canada Computers)
Memory: Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($45.00 @ shopRBC)
Storage: Sandisk Solid State Drive 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($59.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.98 @ DirectCanada)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card ($434.99 @ NCIX)
Case: Antec One ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.98 @ NCIX)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.98 @ NCIX)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($124.00 @ shopRBC)
Keyboard: Logitech K360 Wireless Mini Keyboard ($29.97 @ Amazon Canada)
Total: $1184.02

The parts are fine, consider spending extra for an i5 CPU for better gaming experience (slightly higher framerates, less overall stutter, etc).

What kind of build can get rocket league 60/1080?

I am thinking of doing a 5350 system to try a passive setup but I was thinking rocket league might be a fun target for a htpc. 5350+750ti?

Fm2+ integrated maybe able to do RL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom