• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elitist1945

I got new RAM. I got a new motherboard. My PC still doesn't work. I'm honestly out of what could be wrong. Any ideas guys? I have an unusable PC at the moment.

Ok, I feel really stupid right now. I figured it out... but I don't even want to say what it was... Is there a program to erase the past couple of hours from the internet?

Sigh...

So, I was having an issue where my PC was only recognizing 16 GB's of the 32 GB's that I had installed... Well the problem was that when I bought my RAM I thought that I had purchased 2x16 GB's of RAM, so 32 GB's total... What happened was that they marketed it sneakily as 16 GB's RAM 2x. So I thought that it was 2x16 GB sticks of RAM when it was actually only 2x8... I figured it out when I removed one stick at a time to see if any where faulty and saw that it was only reading 8 GB's after I booted it back up... In my defense this was my first time buying all the parts for and building a PC...

Sigh...

So, I was having an issue where my PC was only recognizing 16 GB's of the 32 GB's that I had installed... Well the problem was that when I bought my RAM I thought that I had purchased 2x16 GB's of RAM, so 32 GB's total... What happened was that they marketed it sneakily as 16 GB's RAM 2x. So I thought that it was 2x16 GB sticks of RAM when it was actually only 2x8... I figured it out when I removed one stick at a time to see if any where faulty and saw that it was only reading 8 GB's after I booted it back up... In my defense this was my first time buying all the parts for and building a PC...

Not a bad situation to be in, 16GB is plenty and you most likely didn't pay for 32GB worth. You can upgrade 8x2 later in the future but it won't be for awhile anyways.

OneUh8

Well according to my manual my RAM isn't supported even though the speed is so that's perhaps more silly than your problem.

I was about to reply that this might be your issue, but I then saw this. Yeah that sucks. can you return the ram? I usually go with g skill in my builds. they just seem to work on everything.

Elitist1945

I was about to reply that this might be your issue, but I then saw this. Yeah that sucks. can you return the ram? I usually go with g skill in my builds. they just seem to work on everything.

I should be able to return, can't see why not - it's only a week old. And yeah I say lots of G Skill on the manual list so ill pick one of those up.

OneUh8

Separate to my precious question - how small can you get a mini itx motherboard build? If I upgrade my prodigy, I'd have a 'spare' 3570k with 16GB ram. Probably wouldn't get much for selling it so I could repurpose it as a compact media server/HTPC. Would want it to run quiet and be very small. Wouldn't need a discrete GPU.

This is one option https://pcpartpicker.com/part/silverstone-case-sstrvz02bw

You would need a SFX or SFXL power supply

Or this comes with a PSU, and seems to be pretty nice.

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/fractal-design-case-fdmcanode202aaus

I should be able to return, can't see why not - it's only a week old. And yeah I say lots of G Skill on the manual list so ill pick one of those up.

What ram are you trying to install? Just wanna make sure because you do have to change RAM profile in BIOS to XMP in some cases so that it uses proper timings and all.

buhbuh

Neo Member
Hey Guys,

I'm running the following spec:

Intel Core i5 2500K @ 3.30GHz
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3
ASUS P8P67 DELUXE
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 (EVGA)
Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB

Should I upgrade my processor, mobo and ram to the following:
Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory

and wait for a while for the next gen video cards or get the Pascal gen Video cards and wait for the Kaby Lake processors that are due later this year?

Hey Guys,

and wait for a while for the next gen video cards or get the Pascal gen Video cards and wait for the Kaby Lake processors that are due later this year?

OC your i5 to 4.3-4.5Ghz. Other than that, CPU+MOBO+RAM upgrade is not going to be significant, it is a waste of money for maximum 25% CPU speed gain. So my recommendation is to push your current system and upgrade to a new GPU when Nvidia/AMD launch them.

TheJerit

Hey Guys,

Intel Core i5 2500K @ 3.30GHz
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3
ASUS P8P67 DELUXE
Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB

Should I upgrade my processor, mobo and ram to the following:
Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory

jake-gyllenhaal-no.gif

OC if you want, but def wait at this point. Take a good look at AMD's too. I'm over the moon with my MSI 390.... Under $300, can't beat it and it'll handle my Vive without issue whenever it arrives (pleeeeaaasssee by next Mon or so )...

Edit: It'll get ya by till next year, no prob...

Sigh...

Damn that sucks. I wouldn't feel bad

I'm likely going to wait on Pascal/Polaris but I'm looking at the current prices of different tiers of cards. Why on earth does EVGA have so many different versions of the 980ti? And since they are all around the same price point, which one is considered their top tier?

kuYuri

I'm likely going to wait on Pascal/Polaris but I'm looking at the current prices of different tiers of cards. Why on earth does EVGA have so many different versions of the 980ti? And since they are all around the same price point, which one is considered their top tier?

Their real top tier is supposed to be the Kingpin, which comes in different OC settings. The higher the OC setting that you order, the more expensive as you can imagine.

http://www.evga.com/articles/00944/EVGA-GeForce-GTX-980-Ti-KINGPIN/

buhbuh

Neo Member
jake-gyllenhaal-no.gif

OC if you want, but def wait at this point. Take a good look at AMD's too. I'm over the moon with my MSI 390.... Under $300, can't beat it and it'll handle my Vive without issue whenever it arrives (pleeeeaaasssee by next Mon or so )...

Edit: It'll get ya by till next year, no prob...

Im gonna looking into OC'ing the processor. Should i stick with my current video card or go pascal?

What are some good custom pre-buy sites like CyberPowerPC and iBuyPower (yes, I know they are the same company)? The last two times building a PC, one blew up and the other has always had power issues (and is now dying - no, like dying in the sense that I need a new PC sooner than later).

ethomaz

Banned
Sigh...

Not fell bad because I had the same issue trying to figure my RAM purchase here in Brazil.

How they market the RAM is silly and ambiguous.

Not your fault.

Is there anyway to stop both my monitors from falling asleep when I switch from Display Port to HDMI to play PS4 games on my monitor? It only happens sometimes but when it does happen it's annoying as shit because I have to restart my computer just for the monitors to wake up.

Monitor 1 is hooked up via Display Port. I'm also running a HDMI cable from it to my PS4.

Monitor 2 is hooked up via DVI.

When I want to play my PS4 and I switch the input on Monitor 1 from Display Port to HDMI sometimes Monitor 2 goes to a sleep like state, Monitor 1 with its input set to Display Port is also in that sleep like state but It's fine in HDMI.

Does anyone know how I can stop this from happening?

LilJoka

I'm overclocking my 6700k. With a fixed voltage it's fine, but offset is being problematic.

I need to run a negative offset, but to get the load vcore where I want it, it makes the vcore really low on idle, to the point of instability or not booting at all. Any suggestions?

Board is a Gigabyte Z170X-UD3.

You need to use adaptive vcore. It keeps the stock multiplier vcore the same as normal then only ramps up vcore for the extra overclock multipliers. On the asus I set adaptive vcore offset to he fixed vcore I needed and the offset to +0.01v.

You need to use adaptive vcore. It keeps the stock multiplier vcore the same as normal then only ramps up vcore for the extra overclock multipliers. On the asus I set adaptive vcore offset to he fixed vcore I needed and the offset to +0.01v.
No adaptive on the gigabyte board as far as I know. My solution was to disable the really deep c states. Drops as low as 0.7V right now on idle, which seems fine. Maybe I'll try testing adding individual states.

Still a bit annoyed that I can't get my 3000MT/s ram to run at 3000, but oh well. :p

Not a bad situation to be in, 16GB is plenty and you most likely didn't pay for 32GB worth. You can upgrade 8x2 later in the future but it won't be for awhile anyways.

Damn that sucks. I wouldn't feel bad

Not fell bad because I had the same issue trying to figure my RAM purchase here in Brazil.

How they market the RAM is silly and ambiguous.

Not your fault.

I just feel dumb after posting my specs all over GAF in PC performance threads and such. Good to know now though.

IndustryX

Hey guys, just about to dip my toes into PC gaming.. So far this is what I have.. Thinking about adding a 144HZ Monitor. At some point.

My primary uses for the PC will be multitasking, use as a streaming platform for my PS4, gaming (CS:GO, Stardew Valley, Civ V, Cities Skylines, The Witcher 3, Newer RPG's, maybe VR?)

Would love some input on my build.

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/88HrJx
Price breakdown by merchant: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/88HrJx/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($299.98 @ DirectCanada)

CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i GT 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($89.98 @ NCIX)

Motherboard: MSI Z170A GAMING M5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($229.98 @ NCIX)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($115.98 @ Newegg Canada)

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.98 @ DirectCanada)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.35 @ Vuugo)

Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card ($417.25 @ Vuugo)

Case: NZXT S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($94.50 @ Vuugo)

Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ NCIX)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($122.98 @ DirectCanada)

Monitor: BenQ GL2460HM 60Hz 24.0" Monitor ($189.99 @ NCIX)

Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($162.99 @ Amazon Canada)

Mouse: Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex Wired Optical Mouse ($72.05 @ DirectCanada)

Total: $2005.65

LilJoka

No adaptive on the gigabyte board as far as I know. My solution was to disable the really deep c states. Drops as low as 0.7V right now on idle, which seems fine. Maybe I'll try testing adding individual states.

Still a bit annoyed that I can't get my 3000MT/s ram to run at 3000, but oh well. :p

Try lower LLC too, which will mean more offset vcore needed.

Vuze

Hey guys, just about to dip my toes into PC gaming.. So far this is what I have.. Thinking about adding a 144HZ Monitor. At some point.

My primary uses for the PC will be multitasking, use as a streaming platform for my PS4, gaming (CS:GO, Stardew Valley, Civ V, Cities Skylines, The Witcher 3, Newer RPG's, maybe VR?)

otal: $2005.65
Looks fine to me but I think the Power Supply is slightly overkill for the setup. Perhaps get one with lower capacity but better efficiency?

Arex

maybe you can consider getting the black&red s340, as your build is very much black & red lol
https://store.nzxt.com/products/s340-black-red

jonaa

Neo Member
Hi,

I managed to buy a desktop (screen, keyboard. mouse and everything) from a friend's defunct business for $150 which felt like quite the steal. I haven't had a desktop in probably 10 years and don't really know how far I can get with this setup.

It has the following specs:
Core i5 4400 @ 3.1Ghz
24GB DDR3 1600
GTX 770 2 GB
2TB HD @ 7200

I was thinking I might pop in an SSD into the machine since that has always speeded things up considerably in my laptops. Any other upgrades that are worth it a the moment? I was thinking I would wait for the new GPUs but perhaps I'll need to upgrade the CPU at the same time?

I'll be gaming in 1080p for now.

IndustryX

Looks fine to me but I think the Power Supply is slightly overkill for the setup. Perhaps get one with lower capacity but better efficiency?

I actually am buying this setup used from a guy off Kijiji (Canadian Craigslist) who built the computer about a week ago and realized he won't use the PC so I'm buying everything from him for $1000. No choice in the case color or PSU. The only thing not included is a GPU and I've chosen the Asus GTX 970

Vuze

That Fractal Design 202 looks nice, but if I go integrated GPU only, it makes me wish it was half the size, even though its already small :)
Same. I use it for my Hackintosh with iGPU and the wasted space is kinda annoying :p
Cable management is kinda tight on the other hand, so it was nice to have a chamber to dump them all in haha.

Hi,

I managed to buy a desktop (screen, keyboard. mouse and everything) from a friend's defunct business for $150 which felt like quite the steal. I haven't had a desktop in probably 10 years and don't really know how far I can get with this setup.

Core i5 4400 @ 3.1Ghz
24GB DDR3 1600
GTX 770 2 GB
2TB HD @ 7200

I was thinking I might pop in an SSD into the machine since that has always speeded things up considerably in my laptops. Any other upgrades that are worth it a the moment? I was thinking I would wait for the new GPUs but perhaps I'll need to upgrade the CPU at the same time?

Throw an SSD in, watch the computer fly. It really is like that. A 240 GB SSD will do wonders without breaking the bank (just $60 for a good one).

Do you know the exact motherboard, video card, and power supply model?

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($299.98 @ DirectCanada)

CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i GT 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($89.98 @ NCIX)

Motherboard: MSI Z170A GAMING M5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($229.98 @ NCIX)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($115.98 @ Newegg Canada)

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.98 @ DirectCanada)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.35 @ Vuugo)

Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card ($417.25 @ Vuugo)

Case: NZXT S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($94.50 @ Vuugo)

Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ NCIX)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($122.98 @ DirectCanada)

Monitor: BenQ GL2460HM 60Hz 24.0" Monitor ($189.99 @ NCIX)

Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($162.99 @ Amazon Canada)

Mouse: Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex Wired Optical Mouse ($72.05 @ DirectCanada)

CPU Cooler: Get the Noctua D15.

GPU: Pascal is soon? But you should be able to find a much better deal if you want a 970 now. I'd buy the other components now, and wait a few months for the new GPU to ship. If it turns out to be a big disappointment, then 970 prices will still go down. However, I highly recommend the msi twin frozor 305 dollars currently with rebate ( https://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-video-card-gtx970gaming4g ) It's an amazing card. The fans are insane. Super Silent. So cool, and 110 dollars cheaper than your Asus version.

RAM; Get the low clearance DDR4 from Kingston; https://pcpartpicker.com/part/kingston-memory-hx421c14fbk216

MOBO; How about a Asus Z170? Gonna save you some money at 160 Dollars. Seem really solid; ( https://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-motherboard-z170a )

CASE; I'd go with a Fractal Define R5 as I love their minimalistic cases, good noise dampening and cooling. At 110 dollars it is more expensive than your option but I think its worth it; https://pcpartpicker.com/part/fractal-design-case-fdcadefr5bk < It has a removeable ODD cage which I love. Fuck optical drives in the dick!

If you have money left over, I'd replace the fans with high quality fans with silent dampeners like these; https://pcpartpicker.com/part/noctua-case-fan-nfa15pwm < You could fit a whole bunch in a case like Define R5. I'd go 2 front, 2 top, 1 exhaust, one side. you can fit more in there though if you want, but not sure if that would benefit airflow. and at 20 dollars a pop, good high quality silent fans are expensive. quickly ads up. I love Noctua though! Was glad to find out the hype was not unjustified:))

PSU; Go a bit lower like with a 650 Watt PSU and save some money; https://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-power-supply-cp9020091na

Storage; I did the same as you do. 256 for main C Drive, and a 1TB Mechanical for main stuff. I regret that choice now. Your workflow is so much better off if you get the mechanical spinning drive out of your PC.
For main storage, get a m.2 SSD. Remember there are different kinds of m.2. And for your main drive, get a 500GB Evo. Get a NAS down the road, rely on the cloud. Don't pollute your system with slow shitty mechanical drives. they bog down everything; https://pcpartpicker.com/parts/internal-hard-drive/#m=32&t=0

If all you have is SSD grade stuff then nothing can slow it down. But even if your main C drive is on an SSD, the fact is that your mechanical 7200 rpm drive has to wake up. The downside? It's not fun or practical to put lots of editing material or consumeable content on a SSD. Like with a HardDrive you dont want to fill it up. It performs better and faster if its not totally full.
I don't know much about m2 SSD other than they are supposed to be beyond the sata limitations of the regular sata SSDs. It confuses me that there is several kinds of m.2 and I dont know why they have this weird naming confusing. Make sure your m2 type fits your motherboard.
Ideally, if money was no issue I'd imagined you would have wanted a 500 GB M.2 SSD, and a 512 x2 in raid Samsung Evo. And then have a NAS or a an external Western Digital hard drive.
Milage may vary, but it annoys me that my harddrive is slowing down my computer. SSD age makes people very impatient. :3

Monitor; I'd hold off on that BenQ and save up for a better monitor. I highly recommend investing in a 21:9 34-inch. They are expensive, but they are a total game changer. 144 Mhz I honestly cannot really tell a difference in games. After 70 mhz, I just don't notice it anymore. It just doesn't add anything for 98% of all gamers. A good IPS panel, with good colors, viewing angles, contrast and a format takes up your entire peripheral vision. That is the most dramatic experience you can have when gaming. From a productivity stand point, they are also amazing.
Even if this is out of your budget, I wouldn't recommend buying a 200 dollar monitor. I mean, it's not terrible, but it's a shame to pair this great hardware with such a mediocre display.

If I were you, I'd save money elsewhere, like with the keyboard and the mouse. I'd go for something miniscule and affordable like a Cooler Master Rapad-i TKL Keyboard for 70 dollars. A good price for a mechanical without a lot of garbage accessories attached to it. Small footprint, good build quality, no invasive logo, looks good in every set up, and a lot more expensive than the Corsair. Almost 100 dollars less expensive; https://pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-keyboard-sgk4040gkcl1us < If Multi color is the thing, then you could go with one of the chroma Razers which also can be found for around 70-80 dollars. Razer is not as high quality Corsair, but Corsair ain't exactly Filco either.

So to recap;

These are just my thoughts. I don't know your specific needs, but I know that long term streaming and VR is gonna lead anyone to want a cool system. I think it is good to be anal about temperatures and go a bit crazy. Noctua D15 is fucking amazing. It really is a showstopper without any of the poopy leftovers.
It's a big cooler but it fits in cases like the Define R5 (not sure if it fits in the nzxt one). You can mount a fan on either side, but you really need to install the low clearance (not tall ram) first. The d15 is actually smaller than the d14 I hear which sounds outragous. Wonderful cooler. Makes you happy about aircooling:))

I also think you should really wait with buying a graphic card until pascal. It seems to be really close now. The 970 is wonderful. It's the best card I have owned since a 8800 GT. The value for money is incredible. And it runs so cool and is so power efficent. That is what is so amazing about it. But they say Pascal even better. And frankly, while Nvidia and Intel often exaggerate the performance gains, their claims on power consumption and heat dispensing are more accurate.
And if you do choose to go with a monitor that is 3440 x 1440 < You have to see the genius of it. 3440x1440 only has a 20% performance penalty over 1440p. What does this mean?
Well- You know how they say you need really really powerful hardware to drive 4k games at max settings? Not true of 3440x. You get a lot of bang for more pixels and it looks sharp as hell. 4K is still way sharper of course, but it also cost a lot more. its possible that pascal is just stupid powerful, but you'd probably still need the new equivalent of a 980 ti, and so, we're talking about a different ball game. 970 today is an amazing card because it is a wonderful value. You just get a lot of amazing power for a good price. by contrast the 980 ti is wayyyy better but it is less of a good bargain, and to be frank, I think for most people its all about getting a build that gets them the most for their money.

21:9 monitor is amazing. Do yourself a favor and optimize your build to allow for this. Linus has some videos about how big a deal they are. Some of the models he has looked at are;
LGUM95; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnrxNfxRK_4
LGUC97; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcaktV1iiGk
Acer Predator; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_GXkjPAkDw

Compared to 3D and 4k... I wasn't sold on those technologies but I am totally sold on 21:9 monitors. Every part of your vision, even the corner of your eyes and enveloped and it goes along way in making the games more immersive. It feels natural because you're not watching the corners of your screen. Tricks the brain into being more real. They still aren't cheap, but fuck me crabtastic if they aren't incredible. The top dog Asus one with G-Sync is stupid expensive. prices on these will go down over the next 24 months. The thing about good monitors is that they can last a very long time. Its not often you need to upgrade it, if you get a good one.
Storage without mechanical drives is the future. Its not common, but I think its the way to go if your building a computer in 2016. I think having a fast nas or fast external drive is a better investment of your computers speed and long term health. Cloud storage helps to. With google drive, dropbox, icloud and so on, there is no shortage of just how much stuff you can save these days. a slow harddrive paired with a fast SATA based SSD is like putting wooden wheels on a ferrari. the engine can go from 1 to 100 in six seconds, but the wheels...

Asus motherboards are really solid, and their 5-way optimization is a stupid easy way to auto overclock your CPU. anyone can do it. even your mother. it tests, benches and does everything for you. Asus mobos also comes with pre-defind headers for the usb, lights, power, led which is a small but nice thing for time builders that make it easy. Asus are also just solid as hell when it comes to mobos. Not saying, msi isn't, but yeah. Mobo troubleshooting is not fun. :p

is the cpu enough? For VR? It's hard to say but perhaps I would get the 6700k if I were you, but its not going to be a big deal.

OneUh8

That Fractal Design 202 looks nice, but if I go integrated GPU only, it makes me wish it was half the size, even though its already small :)

Yeah I mean the case is pretty dang small, but it does give you an option to put in a full size gpu if you ever want down the road.

Megabat

Hi,

Core i5 4400 @ 3.1Ghz
24GB DDR3 1600
GTX 770 2 GB
2TB HD @ 7200

That's some real luck there! An SSD is a good idea; I can't imagine ever needing more than 250GB in tandem with a large mechanical drive.

I wouldn't worry about the CPU right now. It's fast enough as-is. If you do want to upgrade, I'd recommend a Xeon E3-1241 for ~$250. I'm assuming the motherboard has a B- or H- chipset. If it's a Z97, you could get a 4690K for ~$200. And hey, even with a high-end CPU upgrade, it's still hundreds of dollars cheaper than from-scratch.

Personally, I would let that GPU ride for another year or so. It's pretty much all you'll ever need for 1080p, and I'd consider it pretty good at 1440p.

Yeah, so, good as-is, but a solid SSD and a Xeon would be good investments.

LilJoka

Same. I use it for my Hackintosh with iGPU and the wasted space is kinda annoying :p
Cable management is kinda tight on the other hand, so it was nice to have a chamber to dump them all in haha.

If you only use iGPU then get a "Thin mini ITX" board and case.

Hey guys,

I might be looking to replace the HDD on my PC as I had issues booting it yesterday afternoon, and woke up this morning to the sound of what I think was the drive skipping.

My current drive is a Toshiba DT01ACA200, for those wondering, that's about 2 1/2 to 3 years old. Should I be looking at a straight up replacement or is there a better 2TB model out there?

Megabat

Hey guys,

I might be looking to replace the HDD on my PC as I had issues booting it yesterday afternoon, and woke up this morning to the sound of what I think was the drive skipping.

My current drive is a Toshiba DT01ACA200, for those wondering, that's about 2 1/2 to 3 years old. Should I be looking at a straight up replacement or is there a better 2TB model out there?

Toshiba drives are generally pretty reliable, so you could just look at a straight replacement. An HGST drive will be pretty comparable in that respect, if not better. Western Digital red drives are good, too, and are quieter (and in many cases, perform better even at 5400RPM). You could also look into an SSD.

Sykotik

I have an issue where playing a game on one monitor, and watching videos on the other, tanks the performance of the game.

For example, if I'm playing Dark Souls 3, it's usually 58-59.9 fps, but if I start to play a twitch vid on the second monitor, it drops to 40-49fps and becomes a stuttery mess.

2600k@4ghz, 980ti hybrid. Usage on both while playing game/vid is ~50%.

Anyone else have this problem, or maybe even a solution? Shit is frustrating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom