• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fred

I always go for dedicated CPU Coolers myself, even when building non-gaming PCs for friends. Just paranoia I guess but I always feel more comfortable with a non-stock cooler in the case.

So guys alla the part are vere beside the GPU, cane i still build the PC and plug the GPU lager? Will i have any problem? The PSU is a CM V750 what do I do with the GPU power cable?

low-G

So, I swapped out my platinum rated 850W EVGA PSU for a gold rated 650W EVGA PSU, because I'm paranoid, and I think it's more likely the PSU "failed" in 2 weeks (and killed my CPU) rather than the CPU failed in 2 weeks, but perhaps I'll never know now.

The 650W EVGA has a buzzing (coil whine I guess), way more than the 850W did, but not terrible. Maybe I'll hit up EVGA and explain my story, and swap the 850W for another one, because I can't trust that PSU again.

Also, can I just add how annoying it is that different PSUs even from the same manufacturer have different, proprietary pinouts for the modular connectors? Had to swap all my cables, of course.

kpeezy

Banned
So guys alla the part are vere beside the GPU, cane i still build the PC and plug the GPU lager? Will i have any problem? The PSU is a CM V750 what do I do with the GPU power cable?

Yeah, build it now and put the GPU in later. Just don't use the power cables for the GPU.

ruttyboy

Providing the CPU has onboard graphics then yes. Just tape the power cable out of the way with all the other unused cables.

Tacitus_

DDR3 still worth it? I'll be getting a new CPU this fall and if I stay on DDR3 I'd save probably a hundred euros. Looking for a setup that would last for 2-3 years with my 970.

hitgirl

Just curious. Anyone here have their PC connected to a TV then another hdmi cable connected to a monitor at a desk farther away? Is there any handshake problems, like when the monitor is turned off the PC will output it to TV and when the monitor is on it will mirror automatically? I remember last time I had this setup sometimes I had to fuss with settings, but that was a long time ago.

Wag

DDR3 still worth it? I'll be getting a new CPU this fall and if I stay on DDR3 I'd save probably a hundred euros. Looking for a setup that would last for 2-3 years with my 970.

Depends on your setup. DDR4 is only a little more expensive now. I've found inexpensive DDR4 to overclock better too so it's a better deal.

RGM79

Yes, you can do that, it is safe. It depends on what parts you have, but your processor probably has integrated graphics that it can use instead of a GPU. You don't have to do anything yet with the GPU power cable. If you like, you can put it in place for when you will install the graphics card later so you can just plug it in.

So, I swapped out my platinum rated 850W EVGA PSU for a gold rated 650W EVGA PSU, because I'm paranoid, and I think it's more likely the PSU "failed" in 2 weeks (and killed my CPU) rather than the CPU failed in 2 weeks, but perhaps I'll never know now.

The 650W EVGA has a buzzing (coil whine I guess), way more than the 850W did, but not terrible. Maybe I'll hit up EVGA and explain my story, and swap the 850W for another one, because I can't trust that PSU again.

Also, can I just add how annoying it is that different PSUs even from the same manufacturer have different, proprietary pinouts for the modular connectors? Had to swap all my cables, of course.

If it was the PSU that damaged the processor, then it is possible that the motherboard is damaged as well. It is sitting in between the PSU and processor, right?

EVGA doesn't make their own power supplies, they collaborate with companies like Seasonic and Super Flower and HEC to order designs from them. Your first power supply was probably a Super Flower design and the second one was probably a Seasonic, which wouldn't share modular cable design.

What are your system specs? As long as it's not that old, it can probably last another 2 to 3 years easily.

KurtFehl

Just curious. Anyone here have their PC connected to a TV then another hdmi cable connected to a monitor at a desk farther away? Is there any handshake problems, like when the monitor is turned off the PC will output it to TV and when the monitor is on it will mirror automatically? I remember last time I had this setup sometimes I had to fuss with settings, but that was a long time ago.

You choose which monitor to output to from control panel display settings. Either or, or both at the same time.

Walpurgis

Banned
For the GTX 960 It'd be closer to medium level settings. This excellent article goes into detail about the GTX 960's ability to hit 1080p60 for the Witcher 3. The same article says that the GTX 970 can hit high-ultra level settings and nearly achieve a solid 60FPS. Hairworks turned off for both, of course.

If you're just looking for performance, then the Haswell build is perfectly fine. The processor will remain strong for the next three years, especially with some overclocking. Given how Intel seems to want to introduce a new processor and motherboard chipset family every two years or so, the Haswell build could probably hold you over until Intel comes up with socket 1151's replacement.

Skylake/Z170 offers some of the latest tech you can get at the moment, and adopts new stuff like DDR4. It's said to be more upgradeable and "futureproof" because it accepts the latest tech and Intel will develop one or two more lines of processors for it in the future. Not really a big deal if all you're after is framerate. While Haswell is still on older hardware, it's not like Skylake's new tech makes it obsolete, it's still perfectly capable of running games at 60FPS.
Thank you! Last question. I think I can squeeze in a GTX 970 with the newer Skylake build in my budget. If I do go that way, I just want to know if everything will fit together properly and if that build would be better than the older Haswell build.

fuzzyset

Does anyone use a 4k monitor for work purposes? Fry has this 4k IPS monitor on sale but there's not many reviews for it out there. It looks decent for the price. I've been looking to upgrade my work area, but I don't know if it's worth it. How does Windows handle the scaling? There was a 4k thread in OT from January, but I didn't wanna bump it.

RGM79

Thank you! Last question. I think I can squeeze in a GTX 970 with the newer Skylake build in my budget. If I do go that way, I just want to know if everything will fit together properly and if that build would be better than the older Haswell build.

Yes, it would be compatible and will work together. Both builds are pretty much the same except for the CPU, motherboard, and RAM.

low-G

If it was the PSU that damaged the processor, then it is possible that the motherboard is damaged as well. It is sitting in between the PSU and processor, right?

EVGA doesn't make their own power supplies, they collaborate with companies like Seasonic and Super Flower and HEC to order designs from them. Your first power supply was probably a Super Flower design and the second one was probably a Seasonic, which wouldn't share modular cable design.

So I did RMA my old mobo to newegg and they did accept the RMA as damaged, so maybe it was destroyed too. I'm on a new mobo & CPU now. I did run them for about 5 hours on the sketchy PSU, but maybe it just has a likelihood of dumping a capacitor load on my mobo & CPU every 50 hours or something, who knows.

Very interesting about the EVGA PSU stuff, did not know that.

Is it normal to have frame time jump around between 11ms and 20ms??

That's 50-100 fps on average. Could be, what game and pc specs? What resolution/refresh rate? If you're on a 60Hz panel try limiting your max fps to 60 (with afterburner/rivatuner), can help out.

Brohan

That's 50-100 fps on average. Could be, what game and pc specs? What resolution/refresh rate? If you're on a 60Hz panel try limiting your max fps to 60 (with afterburner/rivatuner), can help out.

Farcry 4 on an i5 2500k@4.2 and a r9 280x @1080p.

And yeah i'm on a 60hz panel but i did enable Vsync in FC4 which limits fps to screen Hz... so i was wondering if the frametime should be jumping around between 11 to 20 ms like that.

Edit: your tip of limiting framerate to 60 in rivatuner worked. Thanks alot opticalmace! :)

RGM79

My i7 6700K is in stock! I'm gonna go pick it up after work right away.

Still waiting on the damn RAM to be available.

Farcry 4 on an i5 2500k@4.2 and a r9 280x @1080p.

And yeah i'm on a 60hz panel but i did enable Vsync in FC4 which limits fps to screen Hz... so i was wondering if the frametime should be jumping around between 11 to 20 ms like that.

Edit: your tip of limiting framerate to 60 in rivatuner worked. Thanks alot opticalmace! :)

No prob, glad to hear it!

ahoyle77

Random ass question, but you guys are probably most knowledgable about this. Buulding a new house, would you run some cat 5 connections for xbox, computer, etc, to avoid using wifi?

SleazyC

Random ass question, but you guys are probably most knowledgable about this. Buulding a new house, would you run some cat 5 connections for xbox, computer, etc, to avoid using wifi?
Yes. Very much so. It'd be so useful to have CAT5 drops in every room (or the rooms that I know I would need them).

KurtFehl

Yes, if you can. WiFi is worse compared to wired. If I was in your situation I'd install some Cat5's.

fuzzyset

Absolutely. Wifi speeds are improving, but there's nothing like a wired connection. Don't skimp on the cables. If you're running long cables through ducts and stuff, you'll need something better than Cat5 if you wanna get gigabit speeds. Check http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2013/04/ask-lh-whats-the-difference-between-cat5-cat5e-and-cat6-cables/ . It would honestly spring for something like Cat7 (10Gbps or 40Gbps speeds) so you don't have to upgrade the wiring in a few years.

ahoyle77

Absolutely. Wifi speeds are improving, but there's nothing like a wired connection. Don't skimp on the cables. If you're running long cables through ducts and stuff, you'll need something better than Cat5 if you wanna get gigabit speeds. Check http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2013/04/ask-lh-whats-the-difference-between-cat5-cat5e-and-cat6-cables/ . It would honestly spring for something like Cat7 (10Gbps or 40Gbps speeds) so you don't have to upgrade the wiring in a few years.

No idea the quality of cables, but Im sure its decent as its a home audio/automation company thats the vendor. He did ask about cat6, but said nothing needs that now. I think my internet now is just 75. I got three connections, living room, game room, and sons bedroom. Thats where all gaming and most streaming would occur.

ahoyle77

Thanks for the link. That helps!

Hey, guys, Im still looking into replacing parts for my messed up PC. I recently fount out that the best processor I could get for the motherboard I already have is a core I7 4770. I know that the buyers guide in the OP recommends core I7 products, and I know the 2500k is a actually an earlier model that people joke about still being super great.However,is the 4770 just to old to run the newest games? What about games that havent came out yet? I know no one can answer that last question accurately, but what is the probably chance of it playing the games latest games in 2016-2017 without issue? I dont want to spend to 300+ on something that cant do what I want it to

RGM79

Hey, guys, Im still looking into replacing parts for my messed up PC. I recently fount out that the best processor I could get for the motherboard I already have is a core I7 4770. I know that the buyers guide in the OP recommends core I7 products, and I know the 2500k is a actually an earlier model that people joke about still being super great.However,is the 4770 just to old to run the newest games? What about games that havent came out yet? I know no one can answer that last question accurately, but what is the probably chance of it playing the games latest games in 2016-2017 without issue? I dont want to spend to 300+ on something that cant do what I want it to

What are your current system specs? What's your budget for upgrades?

It's no joke, the 2500K is still very decent and within 10~20% performance gap of the latest i5 processors. The 4770 is not that old, only two years old or so. It'll handle any game out there now and for the next 2 or 3 years. However, that specific model is discontinued and has been replaced with other models like the i7 4790, so you may want to look at that instead (unless you're buying it used or something).

Yep. Ordered the processor from Memory Express.

I don't think I'll order anything from Directcanada again unless I don't mind waiting for shipping. It's been about three and a half weeks since I ordered the RAM from there and since the initial email with tracking code, it's just been awful. Customer service isn't that great. They don't respond to my inquiries unless I poke them. I received notice that the RAM would be mailed out either yesterday or today..

I sent an email to their customer support desk about 90 minutes ago and they haven't replied. Suspiciously about an hour ago I received an(other) automated email notice from Directcanada notifying me that my package has shipped (with tracking code) but it seems more like they're hoping I will be satisfied with that and won't bother them again.

Or maybe my message happened to remind them to get off their asses and ship out that package.

Either way, I have two different tracking codes, one that hasn't been updated in three weeks and the other that doesn't work (yet?). If I don't get a reply soon, I will cancel my order with them. Even Newegg Canada isn't this slow and awful, I should have just ordered there in the first place instead of going with the lowest available price. Serves me right for thinking a company located 20 minutes from my house could not fuck up this badly and prevent me from putting together my new PC before this weekend.

What are your current system specs? What's your budget for upgrades?

It's no joke, the 2500K is still very decent and within 10~20% performance gap of the latest i5 processors. The 4770 is not that old, only two years old or so. It'll handle any game out there now and for the next 2 or 3 years. However, that specific model is discontinued and has been replaced with other models like the i7 4790, so you may want to look at that instead (unless you're buying it used or something).

My PC currently has 8 gigs of RAM. A core I5 processor (dont know the specific model). The GPU was what got wrecked, but Im eyeing the gtx 980 ti. I dont know what motherboard it is. My max budget is 1300.

RGM79

My PC currently has 8 gigs of RAM. A core I5 processor (dont know the specific model). The GPU was what got wrecked, but Im eyeing the gtx 980 ti. I dont know what motherboard it is. My max budget is 1300.

Is that USD? Is it just the tower, or does it include monitor, keyboard, etc? That much money is enough for a brand new PC with some kickass parts, like the GTX 980 Ti you're thinking of.

If you're on the PC you're talking about right now, run a program like Speccy so we can figure out what you're working with right now. Go "File" > "Save as Text file" and upload the file somewhere (mediafire? etc) so we can see.

Yep. Ordered the processor from Memory Express.

I don't think I'll order anything from Directcanada again unless I don't mind waiting for shipping. It's been about three and a half weeks since I ordered the RAM from there and since the initial email with tracking code, it's just been awful. Customer service isn't that great. They don't respond to my inquiries unless I poke them. I received notice that the RAM would be mailed out either yesterday or today..

I sent an email to their customer support desk about 90 minutes ago and they haven't replied. Suspiciously about an hour ago I received an(other) automated email notice from Directcanada notifying me that my package has shipped (with tracking code) but it seems more like they're hoping I will be satisfied with that and won't bother them again.

Or maybe my message happened to remind them to get off their asses and ship out that package.

Either way, I have two different tracking codes, one that hasn't been updated in three weeks and the other that doesn't work (yet?). If I don't get a reply soon, I will cancel my order with them. Even Newegg Canada isn't this slow and awful, I should have just ordered there in the first place instead of going with the lowest available price. Serves me right for thinking a company located 20 minutes from my house could not fuck up this badly and prevent me from putting together my new PC before this weekend.

Whatheefuuuuuuu

Memory Express! WHERE'S MY CPU!

You're not in Vancouver, I bet.

Wag

Okay, so I believe I am almost at the finish line.

Instead of getting a store to built my gaming pc, I have found this build.

Intel Core i7-5820K
ASUS X99-A, Socket 2011-3
HyperX Predator DDR4 2800MHz
2 x Samsung SSD 850 PRO 256GB raid 0
Corsair AX 1500i
Fractal Design Kelvin S36 CPU cooler
6x Noctua NF-F12 PWM in Push/Pull
NZXT H440 White
Creative Soundblaster Z
2 tb Seagate hdd
Windows 10

+ amd 6970 2gb gfx for "free"

The built is 4,5 months old. All the boxes and extras are in good condition, and there is a valid receipt (to satisfy the great late Whitney) for all the components except for
the seagate drive and the soundcard.

The whole build is going to cost me between 1900-2000 dollars.

In my country buying the parts new would have set me back around 2900-3000 dollars

In addition I am getting two 980 tis.

One used (2 months old) 980 TI GAMING 6, with box and receipt
for 675 dollars (900 dollars new)

and also a Zotac AMP extreme edition, but I am not totally sure about that one.

If you guys look at this build, and the quality of the parts, wouldnt you agree that it is a great build for the money ?

I am relatively new to pc gaming so even though, I have a good feeling about this, I am not 100% convinced yet.

What do you guys say ?

I just built my 5820k setup.

You might want to go with a MSI X99 motherboard as it gives you more options with a 5820k, like 3-way SLI (only one that does). Doesn't cost any more than the other brands. I'm happy with my X99A Plus. Nice motherboard. 5820k stable @ 4.3GHz on air right now (can probably go faster) and my DDR-2400 PC4-19200 o/c to 3200 on it if you can believe it.

I live in Vancouver. Went down to Richmond at around 5:30pm to get my 6700K.

Edit: I wonder why there's a sticker on the box of my 6700K that says "Tommy.L", that's not my name.

lol wait I think we were talking about skylake builds in this thread.

I guess maybe my preorder is down the line.

Ok, a problem with my new Skylake set that is driving me insane!

Seasonic 550 watt G series PSU
MSI Z170A Gaming M5 Motherboard
Crucial Ballistix Sport 2400 DDR4
Core i5 6600k
Evo 850 SSD

Everything works fine when the computer is running, under extreme loads. But every time I shut it down, and let it be in stand-by for over 12 hours or so, the PC won't turn on! The front power switch does absolutely nothing.

I have to manually switch off either the PSU or the surge protector (doesn't matter which), to reset the PC. It takes about 3 seconds I would say, quickly snapping the power switch on and off won't help.

Please help me guys, what the hell can cause this? Can it be the surge protector itself? My other appliances work fine on it. It's a horrible problem to have, because it takes the said 12 hours to replicate for troubleshooting. I'm just afraid what's causing this will eventually break totally.

Was looking into getting a new computer and was waiting on the Surface Pro 4, but every time I think about getting that, I can't help but feel I should be getting a gaming PC for that money.

The only thing is, every time I think about building one, I come into this thread and immediately get a headache lol. Everything is laid out pretty well, but I just don't know where to start and I'm used to getting computers where everything is made for me, so this is new to me. Makes me think should I try something like CyberPower or something or maybe I'm just being difficult. *shrugs*

Your Current Specs: None. No gaming PC.
Budget: $1000-$1250

Main Use: Gaming will be the main priority here in addition to some Photoshop/Illustrator work. Also some general usage and web searching.

Monitor Resolution: 1080p is what I want to shoot for. May go higher later on.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: GTA5, Battlefield 4, Counterstrike, LoL, and most other relatively new games on great settings.

Is 30FPS acceptable? I prefer 60FPS.

How important is PhysX / SuperSampling / CUDA to you? Willing to take advice as far as if I will need it.
Looking to reuse any parts?: Nah. Everything from scratch.
When will you build?: No deadline.
Will you be overclocking?: Sure. Maybe. lol.

OEM

PC GAF I need some helps deciding wheatear to build new rig or upgrade my old.
So about 5 years ago I build my first PC, I did not think it through and even bought overpriced dead end components. (Why dead end? I will tell you in a sec). So here are the main components.
AMD Phenom II X6
Crosshair IV Formula
GTX 465
4GB RAM
2TB HDD

Btw my GPU was busted a year ago so just to avoid cost I bought 100$ GPU at the time. Which works fine for my basic browsing and some counter strike at the moment.

Now here is a problem. I have money to build new PC, but I don’t like the idea of my old PC going to waste (no one is going to buy it I know). And nothing in my current PC will be reusable because I want to go with Intel set up this time around.

Now if I want to upgrade my old PC. What are my options? I have spent so much money on my motherboard at the time and did not realize it will not support new AMD processor. That’s what I meant by dead end component.

But is it okay if I get something like GTX 970, and upgrade my RAM to 16GB (does my MOBO even support 16GB RAM?). I should be fine? Or my CPU will bottleneck my rig heavily? I am screwed with my overprice motherboard lol

P.S

I am not intense PC gamer, I want to do programming, watch high def movies, and occasionally play games too on my PC.

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?
This will be my final build I think. I mainly play CSGO, Dota and Fifa so I don't need a better GPU. PSU, HDD and CD burner I can keep from my old pc.

1 x Intel Core i5-6500, 4x 3.20GHz, boxed (BX80662I56500)
1 x XFX Radeon R9 270X Black Edition, 2GB GDDR5, 2x DVI, HDMI, 2x Mini DisplayPort (R9-270X-CDBC)
1 x Crucial BX100 250GB, SATA (CT250BX100SSD1)
1 x Crucial Ballistix Sport DIMM Kit 8GB, DDR4-2400, CL16-16-16 (BLS2C4G4D240FSA/BLS2K4G4D240FSA)
1 x ASRock B150M Pro4S (90-MXGZX0-A0UAYZ)
1 x EKL Alpenföhn Ben Nevis (84000000119)
[/url]

What's important to me is that I don't want to upgrade anything (except the GPU) for the next 4-5 years or so. So do you think this Skylake combination can last that long and still play new games in 4 years?

Also can you recommend me a good case for around 40€?

RGM79

This will be my final build I think. I mainly play CSGO, Dota and Fifa so I don't need a better GPU. PSU, HDD and CD burner I can keep from my old pc.

1 x Intel Core i5-6500, 4x 3.20GHz, boxed (BX80662I56500)
1 x XFX Radeon R9 270X Black Edition, 2GB GDDR5, 2x DVI, HDMI, 2x Mini DisplayPort (R9-270X-CDBC)
1 x Crucial BX100 250GB, SATA (CT250BX100SSD1)
1 x Crucial Ballistix Sport DIMM Kit 8GB, DDR4-2400, CL16-16-16 (BLS2C4G4D240FSA/BLS2K4G4D240FSA)
1 x ASRock B150M Pro4S (90-MXGZX0-A0UAYZ)
1 x EKL Alpenföhn Ben Nevis (84000000119)
[/url]

What's important to me is that I don't want to upgrade anything (except the GPU) for the next 4-5 years or so. So do you think this Skylake combination can last that long and still play new games in 4 years?

Also can you recommend me a good case for around 40€?

Sorry, what's your overall budget? And what parts do you have exactly to reuse? I want to make sure the power supply is good enough, for example.

You may want to consider a Haswell-based computer which will run a bit cheaper and allow you to spend a bit more on a stronger graphics card. The R9 270X is currently ok for 1080p (I currently have one myself) but it will probably struggle after that long a time unless you don't mind lowering the graphics settings. It's a little confusing, you say you won't need a better GPU because you mainly play those three games which aren't that intensive, but then you ask if it can handle the latest games 4 years later?

If you want to stick with Skylake, then you don't need to buy the Alpenföhn cooler. The i5 6500 cannot be overclocked, so you won't really need an aftermarket cooler as the stock cooler will handle temperatures just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom