• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

IJoel

Since the i7-6700k is now readily available, I started thinking about a build with a target price of $1600 or so. What really threw me off was the mobo selection. Is there any place with good comparisons on 1151 mobos? Do you guys have any suggestions?

Gritesh

Surprise! USD conversion, low supply monitor. The Z34 is also insanely expensive (last I looked, $1200?) Sadly these are large curved displays so they are just going to charge a premium. I don't think we'll see more reasonable priced (new) monitors with GSync until next year, and even then you would have to look at smaller sets. 34" is basically the same category as large TV LCDs now so they feel they can charge those prices.
Yeah the thing is that I get mad eyestrain from gaming on a 32" tv from like 2 feet away.

I was hoping to change that by going to a monitor that offers eye fatigue reducing software built in. I don't mind spending 1k but I'm not spending another 700 for gsync I don't think it's worth it to me.

Maybe I'll just go back to the Asus rog 27"

Since the i7-6700k is now readily available, I started thinking about a build with a target price of $1600 or so. What really threw me off was the mobo selection. Is there any place with good comparisons on 1151 mobos? Do you guys have any suggestions?
I would look into the gigabyte ud3 personally. Also maybe check the Asus Z170A, IIRC.

so I had a question. I currently have a 7950 card right now. Its been doing fine but I think it's time for an upgrade especially since its roars like a jet engine during games.

I was wondering if it's actually worth to upgrade and what would be an equivalent or at least reasonably priced upgrade from AMD. I've been looking at the 380s but not sure which one to get

Gonna probably upgrade on my Video Card for Fallout 4 and the other big games coming.

I have a i5-3570
8 gigs ram
and a GeForce GTX 660 Ti

was thinking of grabbing a new Asus Nvidia card in the 250-300$ range and I see several options. I also wonder if my processor would be an issue if I do upgrade. Any suggestions or opinions would be greatly appreciated as I'm not that technically savvy.

Thanks!

Gonna probably upgrade on my Video Card for Fallout 4 and the other big games coming.

I have a i5-3570
8 gigs ram
and a GeForce GTX 660 Ti

was thinking of grabbing a new Asus Nvidia card in the 250-300$ range and I see several options. I also wonder if my processor would be an issue if I do upgrade. Any suggestions or opinions would be greatly appreciated as I'm not that technically savvy.

Thanks!

Is your CPU a K model? If so overclock it.

You could pick up a GTX 970 (I'm not in the US but I assume they get close to the $300 mark there).

Is your CPU a K model? If so overclock it.

You could pick up a GTX 970 (I'm not in the US but I assume they get close to the $300 mark there).

Yeah 970s are around $300, maybe $320. Pretty much the best bang for your buck right now still for a higher-end PC in terms of Nvidia cards.

------

Anyway, anyone here have a Corsair 760T case? It's what I've been looking at. Reviewed pretty well on LinusTechTips.

Was interested in the 600T for a long time, and there's the 780T which is an update of that, but the 760T just has that beautiful full-panel window. Tough decision on white or black version, but I think I'd go with white.

i'm currently planning on building a new PC maybe towards the end of 2016/start of 2017. I think the next Intel CPU's will be out late 2016 called Kaby Lake right? I don't know if I should wait for that. Anyway CPU's aren't progressing much are they? late 2017 for 10nm I think.

So really I'll be upgrading about 4-5 months after the new Nvidia cards are out or when AMD release their 400 series. That should put me late 2016/early 2017 right? I'm planning to build an i7-K, 16GB DDR4, GTX 1080/1080 ti/R9 490X.

Anyway my question is....should I just hold onto my 290 (with an i5-4590) and ride it out or is there a card I can upgrade to in the interim that isn't crazy expensive. I was looking at a 980 ti but really don't want to go that far. I'm thinking something like a 970/390/390X.

TL;DR: keep 290 or replace it with a 970/390/390X as an interim upgrade before building a new PC in about a year/year & half time.

RGM79

so I had a question. I currently have a 7950 card right now. Its been doing fine but I think it's time for an upgrade especially since its roars like a jet engine during games.

I was wondering if it's actually worth to upgrade and what would be an equivalent or at least reasonably priced upgrade from AMD. I've been looking at the 380s but not sure which one to get
What's your budget for an upgrade?

The R9 380 is not bad but depending on how much you can spend, I'd probably recommend something stronger. The R9 380 is a rebadged and slightly improved R9 285, and the R9 285 is just only slightly better in performance compared to the HD7950. In other words the R9 380 is just a step or two better in performance compared to your current graphics card, so unless you can't afford anything better, I'd recommend looking for an R9 390 or GTX 970 as a more worthwhile performance boost.

I have a i5-3570
8 gigs ram
and a GeForce GTX 660 Ti

Thanks!

Does it have to be Asus, or is it just preferred? The preferred recommendation for you would be the Asus Strix for $312 after rebate. On the other hand, the functionally equivalent EVGA GTX 970 SSC is $305 after rebate and is clocked slightly faster (1.19GHz vs 1.11GHz) than the Asus.

i'm currently planning on building a new PC maybe towards the end of 2016/start of 2017. I think the next Intel CPU's will be out late 2016 called Kaby Lake right? I don't know if I should wait for that. Anyway CPU's aren't progressing much are they? late 2017 for 10nm I think.

So really I'll be upgrading about 4-5 months after the new Nvidia cards are out or when AMD release their 400 series. That should put me late 2016/early 2017 right?

Anyway my question is....should I just hold onto my 290 (with an i5-4590) and ride it out or is there a card I can upgrade to in the interim that isn't crazy expensive. I was looking at a 980 ti but really don't want to go that far. I'm thinking something like a 970/390/390X.

TL;DR: keep 290 or replace it with a 970/390/390X as an interim upgrade before building a new PC in about a year/year & half time.

Is the R9 290 really giving you that much trouble or lacking performance in games? The GTX 970 and R9 390 are only slightly better. The R9 390X presents a somewhat bigger performance leap from the R9 290, but it's still hard to say that it'd be worth shelling out the money for what amounts to a ~15% performance boost.
perfrel_1920.gif

How about overclocking your R9 290 instead?

So really I'll be upgrading about 4-5 months after the new Nvidia cards are out or when AMD release their 400 series. That should put me late 2016/early 2017 right? I'm planning to build an i7-K, 16GB DDR4, GTX 1080/1080 ti/R9 490X.

I would say that unless you have specific software in mind that will need it, then do not do it.

Thanks for the replies! I'll just hold onto my 290. It's a great card but I guess I'm just worrying that it won't be able to hold up much longer. I mean it's 2 years old now. Won't hurt to turn a few settings until I upgrade :) thanks.

Hrmm thanks guys! I've never overclocked anything cause back in my day that led to trouble, but I know now it's a more accepted thing to do. I will look into if I can do that on the processor and I'll look into those suggested Cards. I should add I'm in Canada so a 305$ card for US looks more like 450$ for me thanks to our stellar exchange rate.

The reason I thought I'd stick with Asus is
1) I love their old slogan so much lol "Rock Solid. Heart Touching"
2) I know it will work with my mobo (at least I assume that is true)

Awesome!
Is there anything I might do with the old Video Card other than just swap it out for the new one?

What's your budget for an upgrade?

The R9 380 is not bad but depending on how much you can spend, I'd probably recommend something stronger. The R9 380 is a rebadged and slightly improved R9 285, and the R9 285 is just only slightly better in performance compared to the HD7950. In other words the R9 380 is just a step or two better in performance compared to your current graphics card, so unless you can't afford anything better, I'd recommend looking for an R9 390 or GTX 970 as a more worthwhile performance boost.

yea a R9 390 is a bit out of my range. Dont want to spend maybe more than 250 on a card right now. I think the bigger thing is my card has fans at maximum during gaming sessions even with games that are like 3-4 years old. So I based on the reviews I read it seemed that the newer cards ran at a lower db under load but not sure if its all that big of a difference

RGM79

Hrmm thanks guys! I've never overclocked anything cause back in my day that led to trouble, but I know now it's a more accepted thing to do. I will look into if I can do that on the processor and I'll look into those suggested Cards. I should add I'm in Canada so a 305$ card for US looks more like 450$ for me thanks to our stellar exchange rate.

The reason I thought I'd stick with Asus is
1) I love their old slogan so much lol "Rock Solid. Heart Touching"
2) I know it will work with my mobo (at least I assume that is true)

Awesome!
Is there anything I might do with the old Video Card other than just swap it out for the new one?

Oh, you should have said you were in Canada or that you meant Canadian dollars in the first place. Either of those GTX 970 cards will be far too expensive for your budget. When you say $300 CAD, that includes tax, right? You'll probably be looking for either an R9 380 or GTX 960 graphics card. Specific recommendations will depend on whether your budget includes taxes, and if you want certain features like zero fan speed modes for silence.

When it comes to motherboards and graphics cards, branding makes no difference, it'll all be compatible so long as they use the same slot.

Maybe you can sell the old graphics card, or put it in another PC.

yea a R9 390 is a bit out of my range. Dont want to spend maybe more than 250 on a card right now. I think the bigger thing is my card has fans at maximum during gaming sessions even with games that are like 3-4 years old. So I based on the reviews I read it seemed that the newer cards ran at a lower db under load but not sure if its all that big of a difference

Have you tried cleaning the dust out of your PC and the graphics card cooler? It might just be sounding louder because it's running hot and has to crank up the fan to keep itself cool.

Certain graphics cards will run fairly quietly under load, but specifics will depend on how hot your PC runs and how high the graphics card fan will run to make sure the card stays cool enough.

Oh, you should have said you were in Canada or that you meant Canadian dollars in the first place. Either of those GTX 970 cards will be far too expensive for your budget. When you say $300 CAD, that includes tax, right? You'll probably be looking for either an R9 380 or GTX 960 graphics card. Specific recommendations will depend on whether your budget includes taxes, and if you want certain features like zero fan speed modes for silence.

When it comes to motherboards and graphics cards, branding makes no difference, it'll all be compatible so long as they use the same slot.

Maybe you can sell the old graphics card, or put it in another PC.

Have you tried cleaning the dust out of your PC and the graphics card cooler? It might just be sounding louder because it's running hot and has to crank up the fan to keep itself cool.

Certain graphics cards will run fairly quietly under load, but specifics will depend on how hot your PC runs and how high the graphics card fan will run to make sure the card stays cool enough.

yea I was gonna check dust levels today and see, but I think the last time I looked a couple months ago it didnt look that bad

For the new Star Wars Battlefront: I meet all the minimum requirements by a lot but I only have 6 GB of Memory and it looks like the minimum is 8. Will I even be able to launch the game?

pax217

Heatsink properly attached? Heatsink fan is spinning?

Double check all cables. If still nothing, remove everything unnecessary for boot.

Thanks for the response; all cables checked. I have the 20+4 and then 4+4 CPU into the ATX 12V.

If I remove the gfx card (750Ti), everything spins up and stays spinning but I'm still not getting anything on the monitor (DVI via the on-board video).

Any ideas?

yea i checked the dust levels and they didnt seem all that bad, used compressed air can to clean stuff so we'll see. Card is idling at around 40 C w/ fan at 30% of max based on amd ccc

RGM79

For the new Star Wars Battlefront: I meet all the minimum requirements by a lot but I only have 6 GB of Memory and it looks like the minimum is 8. Will I even be able to launch the game?

You should be able to launch it, but without any kind of testing or reviews, it'll be hard to say how well it runs.

Fractal Node 304 is 65$ on Newegg right now....

Good deal?

According to the PCPartPicker price tracker, it has gone on sale for $60 somewhat often and sometimes even a bit lower, but $65 isn't a bad price if you want to get it now.

yea i checked the dust levels and they didnt seem all that bad, used compressed air can to clean stuff so we'll see. Card is idling at around 40 C w/ fan at 30% of max based on amd ccc

Download and run GPU-Z or MSI Afterburner and keep it in the background while you play a game, let it monitor your graphics card and see how hot it gets. Perhaps it's the fan that's breaking down and/or causing noise by spinning while unbalanced

If you like, you could change the HD7950's fan speed. Catalyst control center allows you to set a specific manual speed, while MSI afterburner allows you to set a fan curve (change speed based on temperature).

Thanks for the response; all cables checked. I have the 20+4 and then 4+4 CPU into the ATX 12V.

If I remove the gfx card (750Ti), everything spins up and stays spinning but I'm still not getting anything on the monitor (DVI via the on-board video).

Any ideas?

Does your motherboard have another output, e.g. VGA or HDMI? Can you try one of those?

If it boots when you have the GPU out, then leave the GPU out for now while you test it. Also, take a careful look at your motherboard's manual, might have some tips/peculiarities you need to know.

Walpurgis

Banned
Go to your motherboard vendor's website and find your model there, then just download and install the chipset drivers they provide.

I am currently downloading the motherboard drivers but I noticed that there are a whole ton of other downloads as well. There's a whole bunch of stuff under BIOS (I guess I only need the latest one?) and a bunch of stuff under utility (which appear to be features advertised on the motherboard's page). I'm using Windows 7 64 bit if anyone wants to look.

http://www.msi.com/support/mb/H81M-E34.html#down-bios

Should I download all of these?

RGM79

I am currently downloading the motherboard drivers but I noticed that there are a whole ton of other downloads as well. There's a whole bunch of stuff under BIOS (I guess I only need the latest one?) and a bunch of stuff under utility (which appear to be features advertised on the motherboard's page). I'm using Windows 7 64 bit if anyone wants to look.

http://www.msi.com/support/mb/H81M-E34.html#down-bios

Should I download all of these?

You want everything listed under the drivers for Windows 7 64 bit. Everything under utility is optional, it's just extra features and an interface to control certain parts of the motherboard's features. Yes, you only need the latest BIOS update if you want to do the update. Generally speaking, unless you have issues, don't bother with BIOS updates. If you don't know what you're doing and something goes wrong with the BIOS update, then you have a dead motherboard that you will not be able to fix.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Can I use RAM thats able to do 1866MHz on a MoBo that caps at 1600MHz on its slots? Also while using other sticks of RAM at 1600MHz?
You can run your 1866MHz sticks at 1600Mhz with your other 1600Mhz sticks.
Your mobo should support up to like 2400Mhz, but all your RAM needs to be run at the same speed.

tl;dr set RAM to 1600Mhz

Samaritan

I've had the same rig for over five years now and I'm thinking it's time to finally build something new. I upgraded a few parts here and there over the years, but she's pretty outdated now. Intel i7-930, nVidia GTX 580, 12GB's of DDR3 RAM, 80GB Intel SSD, 1TB 7200rpm HDD. It was a pretty good rig back in the day but now I don't have a hope of playing much of what's out.

So with all that said, I'd love some purchasing advice, mainly so I don't buy more than what I need.

I'm looking to keep my build under $1500 but that doesn't mean I want to get as much for $1500 as I can. If I can build a system for my needs for $1200, then great. I'm also looking to build this within the next few weeks unless there's a compelling reason for me to wait for something.

This system is going to be for gaming and gaming alone. I might do some streaming of games and I've been wanting to dabble in Dolphin emulation, but this is a gaming rig; that's it.

I've had the same excellent 1080p Samsung monitor for the last few years and am perfectly content with it for the time being, so I don't need something that'll run games at 1440p or higher. I don't want anything dipping below 60FPS though, which at 1080p shouldn't be asking too much, but I also don't want to have to upgrade my GPU in a year's time to achieve this, so something that can push pixels at 60FPS for a few years to come.

I'll probably reuse my Power Supply (an 850W Corsair modular PSU), as well as my disc drive and probably my case. I'll probably stick my 1TB HDD in there, but I kind of don't want to hassle with a second hard drive, so I want to get a meaty SSD that I can install a handful of games on.

Any advice anyone is willing to give would be most appreciated! This would be my 5th major PC build, so it isn't my first rodeo, but I've been out of the game long enough that I want some outside help.

Raxanas

Neo Member
I've had the same rig for over five years now and I'm thinking it's time to finally build something new. I upgraded a few parts here and there over the years, but she's pretty outdated now. Intel i7-930, nVidia GTX 580, 12GB's of DDR3 RAM, 80GB Intel SSD, 1TB 7200rpm HDD. It was a pretty good rig back in the day but now I don't have a hope of playing much of what's out.

So with all that said, I'd love some purchasing advice, mainly so I don't buy more than what I need.

I'm looking to keep my build under $1500 but that doesn't mean I want to get as much for $1500 as I can. If I can build a system for my needs for $1200, then great. I'm also looking to build this within the next few weeks unless there's a compelling reason for me to wait for something.

This system is going to be for gaming and gaming alone. I might do some streaming of games and I've been wanting to dabble in Dolphin emulation, but this is a gaming rig; that's it.

I've had the same excellent 1080p Samsung monitor for the last few years and am perfectly content with it for the time being, so I don't need something that'll run games at 1440p or higher. I don't want anything dipping below 60FPS though, which at 1080p shouldn't be asking too much, but I also don't want to have to upgrade my GPU in a year's time to achieve this, so something that can push pixels at 60FPS for a few years to come.

I'll probably reuse my Power Supply (an 850W Corsair modular PSU), as well as my disc drive and probably my case. I'll probably stick my 1TB HDD in there, but I kind of don't want to hassle with a second hard drive, so I want to get a meaty SSD that I can install a handful of games on.

Any advice anyone is willing to give would be most appreciated! This would be my 5th major PC build, so it isn't my first rodeo, but I've been out of the game long enough that I want some outside help.

This is my suggestion
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vPjvJx
Though i would still keep the 930 if u have a good cooler and just buy a new GPU,SSD and 1440P monitor...
Otherwise the build is cool for stable 60fps on 1080p and if needed we can save some money...
One thing i am not sure is if the cooler fits....otherwise u cant get a coolermaster nepton 240m or something with smaller size

NewFresh

This might not be the right place to ask, but I've been having a weird issue with a few games lately. A few games (Alien Isolation, Just Cause 2, PuniTy, Sir you are being hunted) have been causing my PC to restart, while others (Metro 2033, Far Cry 4) have not.

My current build is the following:

• CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor
  • Motherboard: ASRock H97M Anniversary Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
  • Memory: *Team Elite 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
  • Storage: Samsung 845DC EVO 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
  • Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card
  • Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

Any thoughts? I've been out of the PC gaming scene since CS 1.6 so still getting my bearings.

hitgirl

Anyone have their gaming computer in office with a big HDMI cable running to the living room TV? How can you set up sending the pictures to the correct monitor / tv. When my TV is off it still is recognized as a plugged in monitor and computer wants to sometimes open up windows in that monitor..

If anyone is interested, I could use a little advice on fan placement. One of the stock fans in my case went out recently, and I decided that rather than replace one I would replace them all, and then for good measure I went ahead and ordered an extra fan because why not? The problem is, when it comes to the extra fan, where should I place it where it can do the most good?

Here's the case diagram; it's a Cooler Master 690 II. I've highlighted the current configuration for fans inside of the case: one 140mm at the front, one 140mm at the top, one 120mm at the rear, and one 120mm on the CM212 radiator installed over the CPU.

s364vZi.jpg

So, fifth fan should go where? The extra fan is another 120mm.

So, fifth fan should go where? The extra fan is another 120mm.
If you really want to add a fifth fan, I would consider one of the side panel ones or the one that is attached to the drive cage. Those locations are the ones closest to the GPU and provide the most efficient cooling.

What I would do instead if that were my rig would be:
1) remove the roof exhaust fan altogether and don't add additional fans

2) move that roof exhaust fan to the rear part of the roof so it's exhausting the hot air coming out of the 212 instead of competing with the 212 fan (I have no proof that this would lower CPU temps)

3) move the top exhaust fan to the drive cage location or to the side panel for better GPU cooling. IMO the front intake fan does jack crap for non-HDD components when such a dense structure like a drive cage is in the way.

RGM79

Why is my RAM speed so low?
mzXyxHc.png

Set up:
CPU i7-960
Video Card GTX 980
MoBo EVGA x58
RAM 14 GM (2x4GB and 3x6GB)
OS Windows 7 - 64bit
What speed should they be? You should check your RAM settings in BIOS, unless you're referring to the "530MHz" which is effectively 1066MHz due to DDR meaning "double data rate".

Your RAM setup is kind of weird, the sizes don't match and placement is not optimal. It shows 14GB, but 2x4GB and 3x6GB make 26GB. Check your manual to see what the proper placement should be, and know that 5 sticks don't quite fully work in triple channel mode.

Edit: here's the relevant part from your motherboard manual.
JjhGC4w.png

Keyouta

Built a new PC after talking about it for so long.

NZXT H440 White
Asus Z170-A
Intel i5 6600
16 GB RAM 3000Mhz (coming, using a temporary 8 2133Mhz)
Gigabyte GTX 980Ti Windforce
500GB Samsung 850 Evo
EVGA 750G2
Win 7 Pro upgraded to 10

Waiting on the ram and a 4TB mechanical drive to put in.

fKX6DGC.jpg

Parts, boxes already opened. Not shown are the thrown ones. Comp was already built.

qvfVmzW.jpg

Turned flash on to try and get a nice picture of the inside. The cabling behind the mb is clean too.

Since I'm in Canada, it was costly, around $2400. But I'm very happy, it should last a long time.

so yea msi afterburner helped. im not sure what the issue with the fan was. maybe it was the dust. hovers around 65C during load which is better with the fan at around 60-70% of max

In my experience the game uses 4-5GB. I have 16GB so it's probably going to be using more than it would if you just had 8GB. I think with 6GB you might be able to run it but it'll be close. Why don't you download the beta and give it a go?

What speed should they be? You should check your RAM settings in BIOS, unless you're referring to the "530MHz" which is effectively 1066MHz due to DDR meaning "double data rate".

Your RAM setup is kind of weird, the sizes don't match and placement is not optimal. It shows 14GB, but 2x4GB and 3x6GB make 26GB. Check your manual to see what the proper placement should be, and know that 5 sticks don't quite fully work in triple channel mode.

Edit: here's the relevant part from your motherboard manual.
JjhGC4w.png

Yup I did option for Six DIMM. 4GB in Slots 2 and 1. 2GB is slots 4,3,and 5.

RGM79

Not sure if this is the right thread to ask, but I'm at my wit's end with this. For whatever reason, my PC keeps getting bluescreens seemingly at random. I've reverted everything to default settings in BIOS so it's not due to my overclock. I've reinstalled Windows from scratch which didn't help at all, so it's probably not a software issue either. Where do I start when it comes to troubleshooting this, assuming its a hardware issue?

knitoe

Not sure if this is the right thread to ask, but I'm at my wit's end with this. For whatever reason, my PC keeps getting bluescreens seemingly at random. I've reverted everything to default settings in BIOS so it's not due to my overclock. I've reinstalled Windows from scratch which didn't help at all, so it's probably not a software issue either. Where do I start when it comes to troubleshooting this, assuming its a hardware issue?
Test your ram and OS storage drive.

Durante

You could start by running memtest86. That way you can eliminate (or identify) RAM issues as the culprit. As a second step you could underclock your CPU and see if that changes the behavior.

From the software side, you could investigate the crash minidump files generated by windows to see if it's always some specific driver causing the crash. I usually do this in the debugger, but there are simpler tools.

If i'm going to be using stuff like Maya/UE34 etc is there any tangible (sorta) benefit to getting 3000mhz ram over 2666mhz etc? the price hike is...noticeable but if it'd make the work end stuff better I'd think about it. I'd have the 5820k oc'd to 4.4ghz btw.

I think if the "speed" doesn't really get real-world benefits in a sense I'd probably rather put the money elsewhere, or just save it :p

You could start by running memtest86. That way you can eliminate (or identify) RAM issues as the culprit. As a second step you could underclock your CPU and see if that changes the behavior.

From the software side, you could investigate the crash minidump files generated by windows to see if it's always some specific driver causing the crash. I usually do this in the debugger, but there are simpler tools.

Hmm, I ran WhoCrashed and it seems to indicate problems with the Windows kernel rather than hardware or third party drivers. Before reinstalling Windows I was a bit suspicious about whether or not I had some sort of virus/trojan running the background as a bunch of weird shit started happening for no apparent reason. I did not nuke any of my storage drives, so perhaps that could be a plausible cause for this happening? Will run memtest anyway just in case.

Vanethyr

Ahoy, PC GAF!

I haven't been following hardware news for quite a few years now (I reckon the last time I built a PC was when DX10 came out), and I'm looking to get a new rig in time for Fallout 4 so I figured this would be the best place to ask for some up-to-date advice.

I've gone through some of the resources in the OP but I'm still left a bit dubious over what to go for.

I'm currently using an Alienware M17x R4 which I decided to get at the time due to moving into a house with less space and I was going to a lot of LAN parties at the time (that and someone I knew was selling it for far less than Dell's asking price), so it's also starting to show its age a bit now.

My Current Specs:

CPU: 3rd Generation Intel Core i7-3740QM (6MB Cache, up to 3.7GHz w/ Turbo Boost 2.0)
RAM: 16GB (4x4096) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz SODIMM Kit Dual Channel
GPU: 2GB GDDR5 AMD Radeon HD 7970M
HDD: Western Digital Scorpio Black 2.5" 750GB 7200RPM SATA-II 16MB Cache
SSD: Samsung 850 Evo (250 GB)

Budget:

Price Range: Up to £1000 for the computer itself, but the cheaper the better, I guess!

Main Use:

5: Gaming (including Emulation, which would probably mostly be PS2, Gamecube, and Wii)
4: Streaming (Netflix, in-home streaming with Steam/Xbox One)
3: General web usage
2: General Office usage (Word and Excel mostly)
1: Python/VB if I ever find the time to get back into it

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 as I currently switch between my TV and my laptop's built-in display, but I'd like to get some new monitors (2 minimum) with my new rig as well, so any suggestions for those are welcome too!

Specific Games/Applications:

Games: Final Fantasy XIV (primarily), Fallout 4, The Repopulation, World of Warcraft, Guild Wars 2, The Witcher 3, Metal Gear Solid V

Applications: PCSX2, Dolphin

Framerate: It's not a deal-breaker for me as I'm used to playing on console, but I'd like to hit 1080p 60FPS minimum

Looking to reuse any parts?: Apart from my keyboard (Microsoft Sidewinder X4) and my Mouse (Razer Naga 2014), not really. I'd like to start afresh with everything!

Build time: Whenever! I'm not in any particular rush as I'm sure my laptop can handle Fallout 4 for the time being

Will you be overclocking?: I'm not particularly fussed if it's going to bump the cost up significantly, but the option would be nice

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom