• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxyone

Is Nvidia going to do a refresh on Maxwell this year? Anything planned?

There will still probably be some new Maxwell cards at some point before Pascal, although I dunno if they'll be ones we want like a 960 ti to fit in at a decent price and performance under the 970. I think after the 750 (ti) GPUs came out, lower level 7xx series GPU launched kinda quietly though, and 3 months later; the 950 only came out ~2 months ago, so maybe something new will end up coming out in a month or so. Again, it probably wouldn't be a high performance part, but maybe something like the 750 rebranded as a GT 940.

Wag

I got my 3rd EVGA 980Ti from Jet.com today (for $610 shipped). It came from Newegg. I'll fool around with it later, but if all is well that's pretty good for a $40 savings.

crpav

Well terrible weekend when I started my PC build turned good. Stupid Intel CPU socket and their pins.

I don't have much free time being married, have a 3 year old son, work and other life things. I started assembling it last Saturday afternoon while son napped. All went fine, or so I thought, and stopped a few hours later as son was up from nap.

I continued it that night and got it to a ready to boot state. I hooked it up and booted it to get a Q code of 55, memory not detected. I reseated several times and same thing. Tried one at a time, clearing cmos and trying the memory ok button and still same error.
It was already midnight but I was mad so took everything out while searching for answers on my iphone. Could be over tightened cpu cooler, uneven cooler or bent pins.

Well I checked the socket and yep, bent pin. Not bad but still sucked. I worked on it a bit but was so tired I could not concentrate so went to bed about 1. I came back to it in the morning right before church and got it a bit better but texted my brother to see if he had an exacto knife and magnifying lens. He had the knife but no lens and offered to come over and help.

He stopped over while son and wife napped and worked on it. He did an excellent job and looked almost like never happened. I put the chip in VERY carefully and then put the board in. I then put the cooler in but turned it 90 degrees as before wasn't making full contact on the chip. I tightened the thumb screws just hand tight without over tightening them and then booted with minimal parts connected(no GPU, drives etc.). No 55 error! I then connected everything and booted and got to the BIOS. Had one error about cpu fan so just switched header and that went away.

I then loaded windows and that installed very fast....but to the wrong drive. I didn't realize I had connected my old 300 GB Raptor drive. Lost some old data but nothing important as it was my system drive from 2 builds ago that I kept as is in case I needed to use it. Main data is on my old SSD and other data drives.

Anyway turned out good but I have yet to actually install Windows and get it setup to use. Also have cable management which I hate.

RGM79

Well terrible weekend when I started my PC build turned good. Stupid Intel CPU socket and their pins.

I don't have much free time being married, have a 3 year old son, work and other life things. I started assembling it last Saturday afternoon while son napped. All went fine, or so I thought, and stopped a few hours later as son was up from nap.

I continued it that night and got it to a ready to boot state. I hooked it up and booted it to get a Q code of 55, memory not detected. I reseated several times and same thing. Tried one at a time, clearing cmos and trying the memory ok button and still same error.
It was already midnight but I was mad so took everything out while searching for answers on my iphone. Could be over tightened cpu cooler, uneven cooler or bent pins.

Well I checked the socket and yep, bent pin. Not bad but still sucked. I worked on it a bit but was so tired I could not concentrate so went to bed about 1. I came back to it in the morning right before church and got it a bit better but texted my brother to see if he had an exacto knife and magnifying lens. He had the knife but no lens and offered to come over and help.

He stopped over while son and wife napped and worked on it. He did an excellent job and looked almost like never happened. I put the chip in VERY carefully and then put the board in. I then put the cooler in but turned it 90 degrees as before wasn't making full contact on the chip. I tightened the thumb screws just hand tight without over tightening them and then booted with minimal parts connected(no GPU, drives etc.). No 55 error! I then connected everything and booted and got to the BIOS. Had one error about cpu fan so just switched header and that went away.

I then loaded windows and that installed very fast....but to the wrong drive. I didn't realize I had connected my old 300 GB Raptor drive. Lost some old data but nothing important as it was my system drive from 2 builds ago that I kept as is in case I needed to use it. Main data is on my old SSD and other data drives.

Anyway turned out good but I have yet to actually install Windows and get it setup to use. Also have cable management which I hate.

I feel like an idiot every time I come close to damaging those pins, but the motherboard is almost always cheaper than the processor, so replacing the motherboard is preferable.

crpav

I feel like an idiot every time I come close to damaging those pins, but the motherboard is almost always cheaper than the processor, so replacing the motherboard is preferable.

Well 2 lessons I learned are to first check the pins before doing anything and to be very careful when putting the chip in. I still have to cross fingers I don't have any other issues. Funny how getting and married killed my desire and love of technology I once had.

I just don't get to work on computers like I once did and new job does not involve much computer build and part replacement like I once did in past jobs so don't get to "practice" proper techniques or experience the new technology.

Shaneus

Just put in an offer on an R9 280X for quite cheap (~$200AU). Can only assume it'll be a decent upgrade over my 5970, if only for not having to deal with fucking Crossfire profiles (or a lack thereof) EVER again.

An1malhouse365

Neo Member
Ok so I've tried different cables on different monitors and no dice at all. PC lights up. GPU, water cooler, fans all running but I'm getting no signal at all. Tried both from the mobo and the graphics card. Anything else I should be doing?

Really hoping it's just something not plugged it properly.

Salsa

still cant find a solution to my PCIE port problem :/ (running videocard at 8x instead of 16x)

can anyone tell me how much performance im losing realistically? some reports say a ton, others say 5 percent.

on a 2gig 680 btw

MisterNoisy

So after cleaning out my 'box of PC crap', I've got another giveaway for the crowd here.

I've got a Rosewill RNX-N300X PCI 802.11B/G/N adapter that I'll happily ship to the first person in the continental US that quotes this post to claim it. NIB, never been installed. Not exactly fancy, but you can't complain about the price.

So after cleaning out my 'box of PC crap', I've got another giveaway for the crowd here.

I've got a Rosewill RNX-N300X PCI 802.11B/G/N adapter that I'll happily ship to the first person in the continental US that quotes this post to claim it. NIB, never been installed. Not exactly fancy, but you can't complain about the price.

I could ABSOLUTELY use this. My college has faster wifi than ethernet (don't ask).

Ok so I've tried different cables on different monitors and no dice at all. PC lights up. GPU, water cooler, fans all running but I'm getting no signal at all. Tried both from the mobo and the graphics card. Anything else I should be doing?

You're definitely plugging it into the GPU, right? Not the mobo?

MisterNoisy

Ok guys. Some help here is needed.
Got my pc together. Plug everything in and no signal to my monitor. Fans turn on. Led lights on water cooler and gpu are on as well.
What's the first thing I should be looking at?

I5 6600k
980ti G1 gaming
Z170 krait edition
Kraken x61

I tried Mini DisplayPort, hdmi,

What RAM are you using? My Gigabyte Z170 motherboard was super picky about RAM and wouldn't even POST or display anything with the stuff I bought originally - everything else was fine - fans spun, etc., but would run for a bit and then reset after about ten seconds. Replaced it with something off the QVL list on the Gigabyte site and everything was hunky-dory.

RS4-

Man I've got the same problem. I switched cases today, and I wasn't getting a signal from my GPU. Didn't realize the pcie cable was loose under the psu shroud. I didn't notice that until a few tries, but at least I had integrated graphics working.

So now that I plugged it in properly (GPU lights up, fans spin) I get a black screen on both GPU and integrated.

I'm trying to reset my cmos with the jumper method. Didn't work the first time. Gonna give it a few mins and try again

Pakkidis

I believe I have that exact same model on my PC and it died on me after a year.....

MisterNoisy

I believe I have that exact same model on my PC and it died on me after a year.....

That seems to be a moderately common complaint on the reviews for the card, but I put one I bought at the same time in a build three years ago and the guy I sold it to is still using it. Probably just iffy QC - not surprising, since they were pretty inexpensive.

RGM79

still cant find a solution to my PCIE port problem :/ (running videocard at 8x instead of 16x)

can anyone tell me how much performance im losing realistically? some reports say a ton, others say 5 percent.

on a 2gig 680 btw

I doubt you're losing that much performance. Where did you read that it was a lot?

If you're stumped, take some pictures of the inside of the case for us and maybe we can spot something you haven't seen.

An1malhouse365

Neo Member
What RAM are you using? My Gigabyte Z170 motherboard was super picky about RAM and wouldn't even POST or display anything with the stuff I bought originally - everything else was fine - fans spun, etc., but would run for a bit and then reset after about ten seconds. Replaced it with something off the QVL list on the Gigabyte site and everything was hunky-dory.

Im using Cosair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 MHz 8gb

RGM79

Picture from An1malhouse365. Posting here so others can hopefully spot anything wrong. Here are his specs.

@An1malhouse365: You took out the graphics card when you tried the onboard graphics, right? If a graphics card is still plugged in, there won't be a signal from the motherboard's output ports.

Those sorts of games are usually CPU-heavy, but your CPU should be more than adequate for the task. Banished sets the minimum requirement as a vague Intel dual core @ 2GHz while the recommended requirement is an Intel i5 processor. Maybe your CPU is overheating, can you run a monitoring program like HWMonitor in the background as you play the game? Or refer to this guide to set up a little info overlay in the corner of your games to see real time CPU and GPU info as you play. If it is overheating and throttling itself back, then that would explain the slowdown and you would only need a better CPU heatsink (~£23 for the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, for example).

It's up to you if you want to upgrade to a GTX 960, but I would check temperatures first as your issue doesn't appear to be GPU related. In any case, you're correct that your 500 watt PSU should do just fine, and if you look here a GTX 960 4GB can be had as low as £155 but I'm not sure if that includes shipping.

Thanks for the info I will look into this, much appreciated!

wowzors

I need some advice on a monitor. I have a pretty decent computer (2500k at 4.5 8gb ddr3, gtx 970g1 ssd and w10).

I am contemplating either a ultra wide monitor or a gsync monitor. I am not sure which one would be a better purchase. Looking at around $400 max. I know I would have to buy speakers too as I currently am using a 24inch 1080p viewsonic that kinda sucks for games.

M.Bluth

knitoe

Most people will say the WD is more reliable. Personally, I never had issues with Seagate HDDs so would go with the 5TB. In fact, I took one of the Seagate 5TB external HDD out, put it inside my case and it's running fine for a year now.

Resilient

Hey all - hope I'm not stepping on toes.

OP has been read - before I drop all my moneys on this rig, I just want to make sure I'm getting everything right...

- Intel Core i5 6600K
- ASUS Z170-AR Motherboard
- Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5in SSD
- Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2A2133C13 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 Black
- CoolerMaster G750M 750W Modular Bronze Power Supply
- CoolerMaster Hyper 212X CPU Cooler
- Phanteks Enthoo Pro Chassis Black

I'm going to buy a GPU a bit later on down the line. I already have a BD-Drive, and a 1TB HDD.

As far as I know, these are some important things to consider when building this myself.

I need a special guide for installing the CM 212 Heatsink.
I can install Windows 7 from the CD Drive (but not a USB stick) - is that right?

If this is good to go (which I think it is), and someone can approve, I'd really appreciate it! If there is anything I'm missing, please also let me know. This is my first time actually building the PC myself, so I'm just a bit cautious about it all.

fred

6700K is £325 - £400 in the UK lol. Launch price was meant to be £275 IIRC.

Where on earth are you doing your shopping..?!??!? :Oo

It tends to average around £315-320 from what I've seen. I was lucky and managed to get mine for £286 though. :eek:D

Hey people,
needed some suggestions on building a mid range pc.
i posted this another thread and was directed here...

Mid range gaming pc suggestions gaf?
i dont need to go above 1080 or max everything out.

im thinking (970+i5 4690k)
what else do i pair it with.
and is the jump to a r9 390 worth it considering the price difference?

and exactly how do you decide the motherboard?any criterias?
can someone point me to something cheap?
sticking to 8gb ram and will upgrade that if necessary.

not looking for too much quality, just something thats gives the best value for money and lasts a bit.

any help would be appreciated.

one thing wanna know is how much i should i invest in a motherboard and psu...
i wanna keep it cheap as possible.
thanks

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?

OP has been read - before I drop all my moneys on this rig, I just want to make sure I'm getting everything right...

- Intel Core i5 6600K

I'm going to buy a GPU a bit later on down the line. I already have a BD-Drive, and a 1TB HDD.

As far as I know, these are some important things to consider when building this myself.

I can install Windows 7 from the CD Drive (but not a USB stick) - is that right?

If this is good to go (which I think it is), and someone can approve, I'd really appreciate it! If there is anything I'm missing, please also let me know. This is my first time actually building the PC myself, so I'm just a bit cautious about it all.

You can install Windows from a USB stick
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/9585/how-to-setup-a-usb-flash-drive-to-install-windows-7/

750W is a bit overkill. Unless you plan on doing SLI 550W is more than enough for any single GPU. That's 20 $ you can save if you buy the Cooler Master g550m.

Otherwise it looks good.

- Intel Core i5 6600K

You don't need a special guide, just watch a video on youtube. Personally, I find the process quite easy and straight forward, the only hard part is to make sure the heatsink connects properly to the CPU, so better do it outside before putting it into the case.

Yes, but a quick googling seems to return some workarounds. Still it would be easier to do via the CD drive.

You can pick faster RAM as Skylake seems to benefit more from it. Go for 2800mhz or 3000.

Hey people,

Mid range gaming pc suggestions gaf?
i dont need to go above 1080 or max everything out.

im thinking (970+i5 4690k)
what else do i pair it with.
and is the jump to a r9 390 worth it considering the price difference?

and exactly how do you decide the motherboard?any criterias?
can someone point me to something cheap?
sticking to 8gb ram and will upgrade that if necessary.

not looking for too much quality, just something thats gives the best value for money and lasts a bit.

thanks

I do not think a 390 would be worth it considering they are pretty much on par, especially at 1080p.

For mobo, just make sure you pick a Z one so that you can overclock your K cpu. Other features depends on your needs such as built-in wifi, etc.

Do not skimp on PSU, no need to go overboard but try to choose respectable brands like XFX, Seasonic, etc.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/9585/how-to-setup-a-usb-flash-drive-to-install-windows-7/

750W is a bit overkill. Unless you plan on doing SLI 550W is more than enough for any single GPU. That's 20 $ you can save if you buy the Cooler Master g550m.

Otherwise it looks good.

Skylake removes support for windows 7 usb installation. 750w is good for future-proofing, more drives, fans, bigger GPU, etc. But yeah, a cheaper, less power PSU will do, depends on the needs.

Resilient

Otherwise it looks good.

Thanks - I don't know what I'm gonna plug into this thing in the future, so I thought it would be safe to allow for it, which is why I went for 750W. I might downgrade it to this though CoolerMaster B2 Series 700W Power Supply which is a $30 saving.

knitoe

But it's possible to install the OS on it now? I remember reading about some issues, but that was a year or more ago.

I cloned my UEFI Windows 10 SSD SATA install onto one, select it in the Bios as #1 boot and running without issues. Bios updates have probably fix most of the problems.

Maniac

Banned
Hmm, I don't have a lot of personal experience with any of the higher end power supplies, and when I do PSU recommendations, I'm going largely by reviews or sticking with PSUs known to be of good quality. At that price level and the fact that proshop.dk only offers Cooler Master, Corsair, DELTACO, EVGA, Seasonic, Super Flower, and XFX models then it's actually quite hard to go wrong. If you want to ask about any specific models, then I could help with that.

Good to hear about the Noctua cooler's price - I guess it's because the company is headquartered in the EU and it's cheaper to sell locally there as opposed to shipping stock to North America.

So anyway, what was it the general rule of thumb is? The requirements here http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm plus a hundred watt? (I've got two 1TB WD Blues, a 256GB Samsung 840 Pro as my 'misc' stuff) and ofcourse I'd love overhead to OC the GPU and CPU, or enough to power a Pascal card whenever those come around. So should I stick with a 750W one, or 850-ish?

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?
Hey people,

thanks

The 4690k is a solid processor but if you want a bit more future proof CPU I would recommend the Xeon e3-1231 v3. It is essentially an i7 (only difference is that it doesn't have an integrated graphics chip) for the price of a good i5. When games make use of hyperthreading in the future the Xeon will pull ahead of the i5's in terms of gaming performance.
Assuming you're from the US it is only a couple bucks more expensive than the 4690k but will turn out cheaper because you can't really overclock it and can save some money on the motherboard and CPU cooler.
But you can't go wrong with the 4690k

Is the 390 really more expensive tho? The Sapphire Radeon 390 is a great card and and at least in Germany is the same price as the 970. For the same price I would recommend the 390 but if there is a big difference where you are from go with the 970.

As for motherboard, just make sure it is compatible with your cpu and has all the nessecary ports. No need to spend a lot of money on a MB when you're on a budget.

PSU I would recommend the Cooler Master g550m.

So anyway, what was it the general rule of thumb is? The requirements here http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm plus a hundred watt? (I've got two 1TB WD Blues, a 256GB Samsung 840 Pro as my 'misc' stuff) and ofcourse I'd love overhead to OC the GPU and CPU, or enough to power a Pascal card whenever those come around. So should I stick with a 750W one, or 850-ish?

Those recommendations are pretty exaggerated, at least for the AMD cards. I have a r9 380 and according to the list I should have a 550W PSU. But according to all the benchmarks an entire PC with the 380 will never draw over 300W so why would I need 550? I have a 450W psu and it is perfectly fine.
Just buy whatever the recommended wattage is and you are good for oc'ing and as many drives as you can install. No need to do +100W

The 4690k is a solid processor but if you want a bit more future proof CPU I would recommend the Xeon e3-1231 v3. It is essentially an i7 (only difference is that it doesn't have an integrated graphics chip) for the price of a good i5. When games make use of hyperthreading in the future the Xeon will pull ahead of the i5's in terms of gaming performance.
Assuming you're from the US it is only a couple bucks more expensive than the 4690k but will turn out cheaper because you can't really overclock it and can save some money on the motherboard and CPU cooler.
But you can't go wrong with the 4690k

Is the 390 really more expensive tho? The Sapphire Radeon 390 is a great card and and at least in Germany is the same price as the 970. For the same price I would recommend the 390 but if there is a big difference where you are from go with the 970.

As for motherboard, just make sure it is compatible with your cpu and has all the nessecary ports. No need to spend a lot of money on a MB when you're on a budget.

PSU I would recommend the Cooler Master g550m.

yes the xeon here costs almost the same as 4690k, i just checked.
i could live without overclocking but i havent really heard of the xeon from gamers tbh.
how comparable is it at running current games to the i5?
regarding the 970 , i found a cheap deal that saves me almost 90 bucks i can put into other things.
gm550 is , acceptable within budget i guess.
thanks

i could live without overclocking but i havent really heard of the xeon from gamers tbh.
regarding the 970 , i found a cheap deal that saves me almost 90 bucks i can put into other things.
thanks

I had the 1230 V3 and it was fine - essentially a cooler 4770K at 4690 price.

The Xeon sticker is better too :p

Haribi

thanks

Yeah the Xeon rarely is mentioned in american forums but it is the go-to CPU in that price range in Germany if you don't plan on overclocking. Especially when it was 40€ cheaper a year ago than now everyone bought the Xeon.

In current games that don't use hyperthreading an overclocked 4690k is probably slightly better than the Xeon. Overclocking it means spending more money on a CPU coooler and the motherboard tho, so the Xeon will be cheaper than an oc'ed 4690k. But in games that make use of hyperthreading the Xeon pulls ahead of any i5 because of it's 8 threads.
And more and more games will use hyperthreading in the future so a Xeon will definitely be more future proof. If you don't plan on upgrading your CPU for at least another 5 years or so I would buy the Xeon.

I would definitely buy the 970 then.

I couldn't hold on any longer. Took the plunge and have the following arriving tomorrow:

i7 6700K
Asus Z170 Pro ITX
Corsair 2x4GB 2400
EVGA 980Ti SC+

Welp

hitgirl

I can't find this damn cable I need. Maybe someone can help. I have a headphine with a mic I use on my phone, I'd like to use it on my PC. I need a longer one so an extension cord, so looking for a 3.5mm extension cord that has the microphone rings too. So I can just plug it into my motherboard and be good...

Raxanas

Neo Member

Does your shop offer the EVGA Supernova 750W G2 or Corsair RM750x or Superflower Leadex Gold 750w?
If they do just buy whatever is cheaper.....If you want longer warranty get the EVGA one

ricki42

I can't find this damn cable I need. Maybe someone can help. I have a headphine with a mic I use on my phone, I'd like to use it on my PC. I need a longer one so an extension cord, so looking for a 3.5mm extension cord that has the microphone rings too. So I can just plug it into my motherboard and be good...

Like this or this?.

paskowitz

Custom loop finished:

Ndubew3.jpg

*Please excuse my Moto X.

Looks like I'm going to build my first PC in a very long time. Initially I wanted more power for video editing and 3D modeling/rendering but while I'm at it I decided to dive into (1080p) PC gaming. VR is also something I really want. Now I just need help deciding which GPU to buy. This is the rest of my config:

i7 6700K
Z170 Motherboard
16Gb DDR4 RAM

Both GTX 970 or R9 390 seem to meet my needs. I know that there isn't much of a difference when it comes to 1080p gaming. But does the 8GB GDDR5 of the 390 has any advantage in 3D modeling/rendering. What about Oculus Rift? 980 Ti isn't really in my budget anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom