• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I have a question on upgrading my current build and need help from those far smarter than me. I have a i5 3570k on a ASRock Z77 Extreme4 board w/8gb ram. My graphics card is crap by todays standards and want to know can I get away with just upgrading the card or will I be bottlenecked by the processor? I am wanting to run games on high/ultra settings without it being a slideshow.

I am looking at maybe a XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5 Video Card ,Microcenter has it for $259 but any suggestion is welcome since I have been out of the PC world for a while.

480 or 1060 would be fine. Especially if you are overclocking, but it's fine even if you aren't. (But if you aren't, you should)

That's not a reference 480 for $260 is it? If so it's not a very good deal since you can get a better card for that price.

Edit: If it is this, it is good. This and this are also good.

Computer's starting to show its age after 6 years so I'm aiming to get it upgraded ASAP, especially since I'm starting to feel the motherboard is on its death legs (stuff's increasingly crashing, long loading times which weren't there months eariler, a video for work took eons longer than it should've) but I wanted some of PC Gaf's help while I suss out a combination between price and performance. Especially since ebay Australia has a 15% off sale which might lead to me getting some stuff off way cheaper than usual.

At the moment I already have a MSI brand NVidia Geforce GTA 1070 managed to get several hundred dollars off in an online sale, (my current card was a 660 GTX, so i felt an upgrade was warranted at this point).

CPU. This was the main thing I was torn on what to get. The local PC store I was planning to get most of my parts from, they said I don't want to go TOO high-end since if I'm not planning to overclock my PC (and I'm not), the upgrades start to get a bit redundant. They recommended the i7-6700k which online is 440 Australian dollars before the discount, however while the i7-6800k is two hundred bucks more, a few things I've seen online indicate even if I don't take advantage of overclocking it's significantly more powerful?

Motherboard: I'm also a bit lost here, though the store indicated anything higher than 200 bucks is really geared more towards hardcore overclockers and the like, which put stuff like the Asus X99 Sabertooth motherboard (I'll admit I'm going off Terry Crew's build here :p ) well out of my range. I'm probably going back to the store to have them help with this and the desktop case, since I'm pretty sure my graphics card alone is bigger than my old setup.

RAM: I apparently can't reuse what I have now since it's two old, however the 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum from the same build seems like it'd be easy enough to get in this sale. It's guaranteed to work on any modern motherboard, right?

SSD: I have a Samsun 250g SSD my main OS and programs run on, however for gaming and render jobs I have a backup 500gig HDD one which is borderline dead and I was looking to get another Samsung SSD. 2TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD is REALLY expensive, however is the 'pro' line worth it? If it is, would I still be fine with just the 1TB model? Or should I be looking further ahead?

Cooler: Store seems to think I wouldn't need one, but most builds I'm seeing here and elsewhere have some sort of heatsink or cooling system. Crew's is a Corsair H100i V2 CPU cooler which is probably overkill, but would the CM Hyper 212 EVO or something like that do the trick?

Blu-ray drive: Assuming there isn't much variance with what you can get for this. Assuming ASUS is recommended?

Sound card: My current PC since forever has had that annoying crackling issue with sound/music I can NEVER seem to get rid of; will a upgraded motherboard/CPU alleviate this issue, or would I want to buy something like the Asus Xonar Essence STX soundcard (if not a cheaper model)?

Power supply: Gonna let the guy at the shop help me with this one, unless there's something I should know with the sort of equipment I'm getting. They don't seem to think I'd need something too elaborate, but I'm still paranoid all this stuff is going to require a large wattage.

I'm fine with the monitor I have at the moment, but something like the ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q to finally check out something higher than 60fps and G-Sync would be cool. Unless there's cheaper but still quality models out there (I don't remotely give a shit about dumb extras like light up stuff) this I can happily pass on for now.

Any comments/recommendations about whether I should go forward with some of this stuff, if some stuff is overkill for my needs or if the store's advice is bad is gonna be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Requotin just since I only have a day left for this sale and I'm still unsure about the CPU to get. Thanks for the sound card advice btw, I'll probably go cheap for that!

Jesb

Curious. I have an amd 8350 cpu and a 7970 gpu. I know I'd need a new gpu if I want to go onto 4k, but would it basically require a new build due to my cpu?

Requotin just since I only have a day left for this sale and I'm still unsure about the CPU to get. Thanks for the sound card advice btw, I'll probably go cheap for that!

If you're afraid to overclock, don't get a "k" cpu. Unless you have a specific task in mind that demands 32GB of RAM, you'll be fine with 16GB.

gkeller16

Neo Member
480 or 1060 would be fine. Especially if you are overclocking, but it's fine even if you aren't. (But if you aren't, you should)

That's not a reference 480 for $260 is it? If so it's not a very good deal since you can get a better card for that price.

Edit: If it is this, it is good. This and this are also good.
Yes,it was the very first card you linked. Thanks for the help.

kuYuri

Curious. I have an amd 8350 cpu and a 7970 gpu. I know I'd need a new gpu if I want to go onto 4k, but would it basically require a new build due to my cpu?

Not really, you can do a viable 4K gaming build on the FX8350 as long as you're willing to make sacrifices.

If you're afraid to overclock, don't get a "k" cpu. Unless you have a specific task in mind that demands 32GB of RAM, you'll be fine with 16GB.
Yeah, I definitely don't want to overclock; I'm pretty sure I'd pretty quickly fuck my build up. Along with gaming I'll also be using this PC for rendering and video work; would 16gigs still be fine there?

Hi, I've finally decided I'm going to upgrade my processor from an AMD 955 to an Intel CPU. My budget is around £180, what's the best I can do with that budget, I going from AMD to Intel so I would need a new motherboard as well. I'm not going to be upgrading again for a while so I'd like something that'll be a substantial upgrade than what I currently have. I've briefly had a look around but I thought I'll ask here first for a recommendation and just in case someone knows of any good deals going for an Intel CPU. Thanks.

Hi, I've finally decided I'm going to upgrade my processor from an AMD 955 to an Intel CPU. My budget is around £180, what's the best I can do with that budget, I going from AMD to Intel so I would need a new motherboard as well. I'm not going to be upgrading again for a while so I'd like something that'll be a substantial upgrade than what I currently have. I've briefly had a look around but I thought I'll ask here first for a recommendation and just in case someone knows of any good deals going for an Intel CPU. Thanks.

An i5 6500 + a mid-range B150 motherboard from Gigabyte, ASUS or MSI, best bang for the buck non-OC option.

Mozendo

May I ask what kind of problems those MSI boards usually have? Just wanna be careful and avoid them if possible.

The cheaper ones have cheap plastic parts, it's not uncommon for them for have parts fall off.
My lower end MSI moba had plastic from the USB 3.0 and parts of the PCI Express casing(?) just fell off. If I still had that motherboard I would show you pictures, but I sold that with my processor and it was essentially free with it because I feel like selling the MoBo by itself was just a terrible value and would possibly give my family bad luck.

I've noticed it's a trend to say that AsRock makes cheap and crappy MoBos by people who've never used them, but regardless of their costs I've never had any issues with them. Plus the AsRock Z170 Extreme 4 is a great looking MoBo ( Most Z170 series MoBos don't look as nice as Z97 MoBos IMO) and has features of $130-$150 MoBos while only costing $120*
Edit: Oh just noticed the cost includes MIR via Newegg

DonMigs85

Sometimes the entire PCIe slot on cheaper boards can bend or fall off with a heavy graphics card, so it might need some support.

Elven_Star

The cheaper ones have cheap plastic parts, it's not uncommon for them for have parts fall off.
My lower end MSI moba had plastic from the USB 3.0 and parts of the PCI Express casing(?) just fell off. If I still had that motherboard I would show you pictures, but I sold that with my processor and it was essentially free with it because I feel like selling the MoBo by itself was just a terrible value and would possibly give my family bad luck.

I've noticed it's a trend to say that AsRock makes cheap and crappy MoBos by people who've never used them, but regardless of their costs I've never had any issues with them. Plus the AsRock Z170 Extreme 4 is a great looking MoBo ( Most Z170 series MoBos don't look as nice as Z97 MoBos IMO) and has features of $130-$150 MoBos while only costing $120*
I see. I haven't had any problems with mine so far, but I kinda wish I had gone with ASRock instead which was even a little cheaper, actually! The problem is that ASRock doesn't have a good reputation around here. Nobody recommends their boards. I have no idea why.

Sometimes the entire PCIe slot on cheaper boards can bend or fall off with a heavy graphics card, so it might need some support.
Don't you screw the card to the case? I think that's more than enough support. Isn't it?

I'm thinking of getting a gaming PC but don't want to spend more than about £600ish

Is there any recommendations of PCs could get for that amount. I will playing on my TV so i just want something that can easily play 1080p/60fps and at a high graphics setting

Any ideas

LordAlu

I'm thinking of getting a gaming PC but don't want to spend more than about £600ish

Is there any recommendations of PCs could get for that amount. I will playing on my TV so i just want something that can easily play 1080p/60fps and at a high graphics setting

Any ideas
This would be £625 (excluding Windows):

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (£174.99 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: MSI B150M MORTAR Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£70.99 @ CCL Computers)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory (£39.99 @ Ebuyer)
Storage: Samsung 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£60.97 @ CCL Computers)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 480 4GB NITRO+ 4G Video Card (£194.99 @ Ebuyer)
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 88R MicroATX Mid Tower Case (£38.99 @ Ebuyer)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£44.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Total: £625.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-20 14:34 BST+0100

If you need to keep it lower, I'd probably drop to an i3 and add a mechanical drive for extra storage, but if you can afford it this should be good for 1080p/60 no problem.

Echoes

I've been noticing for a few days that the mouse stutters when I'm doing simple things like browsing gaf. It happens frequently that it's annoying. I use a Razer Mamba mouse, and Razer has an app (Razer Synapse) that downloads drivers automatically. I removed the app and still having problems. Any tips?

Mozendo

I see. I haven't had any problems with mine so far, but I kinda wish I had gone with ASRock instead, which was even a little cheaper, actually! The problem is that ASRock doesn't have a good reputation around here. Nobody recommends their boards. I have no idea why.
I remember Durante praising his AsRock board while saying he tried a Gigabyte MoBo because people always recommend them but it just ended up dying. But yeah AsRock is one of my favorite brands. My current MoBo would have been an AsRock if I didn't snag a Asus Maximus 7 Hero for $110

Any ideas

Remove the SSD if you need to save more money.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (£174.99 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: ASRock B150M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£62.49 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (£34.83 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: A-Data Premier SP550 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£35.80 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Toshiba Product Series:DT01ACA 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£39.99 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 470 4GB HS Black Edition Video Card (£179.99 @ Ebuyer)
Case: Thermaltake Versa H25 ATX Mid Tower Case (£29.99 @ Ebuyer)
Power Supply: Enermax 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£55.00 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £613.08
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-20 15:22 BST+0100

valouris

I just ordered a system with a gigabyte z170-hd3p, but I later read some bad impressions for gigabyte boards. Do you think it is worth changing to a different or more expensive board?

I know this isn't totally on topic but anyone having issues with the latest origin update? It's the one right after they updated the UI. My client hangs and I can't login. On Windows 10 64bit.

Speaking of which, so should I go ahead and order the 1070 for a PCIe 2.0 (x16) slot that will be working with an i7 870 CPU @ 2.9 GHz and 10GB of DDR3 RAM?

Pagusas

Elden Member
Whats the best way to past a PCpartpicker list on gaf? I see everyone else has such clean looking list, everytime i try pasting it in it looks way worse.

Bloodember

Whats the best way to past a PCpartpicker list on gaf? I see everyone else has such clean looking list, everytime i try pasting it in it looks way worse.

At the top of your list by the permalink in the Markup section, click [bb], copy and paste what it shows.

kuYuri

Asrock can be pretty bad though. Their higher end boards are decent for the money, but their lower end stuff is just as horrible as the lower end mobos of other manufacturers.

I have an MSI board myself right now and it's still going strong after 2+ years. It's always YMMV with these parts.

kuYuri

When was the last time you used Asrock? Their boards now are good and many are excellent.

I haven't, but I worked at a Micro Center for awhile and Asrock boards were returned as defective very often. I avoided recommending it based on that unless customers were really on a budget.

But with that said, I changed my original post to reflect that it's always YMMV on these things.

Pagusas

Elden Member
So here is my current projection my gaming 4k HTPC Build:

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($324.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($98.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Asus Z170I PRO GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($159.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($204.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($157.30 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB FTW Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card ($679.99 @ B&H)
Case: Lian-Li PC-05SX HTPC Case ($299.99)
Power Supply: Silverstone 700W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($161.26 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit ($109.98 @ My Choice Software)
Total: $2197.48
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-20 12:49 EDT-0400

I'm open to all feedback and suggestions, but I'll quickly cut a few people off by saying the $300 Lian Li case stays! Yes I know that's a ridiculous amount of money for a case, but I don't care, I absolutely love it. In fact I'll actually be getting the white version to match my media center

lianli-pc-o5sw-3.jpg

The goal is the best HTPC possible given size constraints. I already have a 500gb 850evo that will be transplanted into this. I've consider going custom loop on the water cooling (and getting a watercooled 1080) however I dont think the money is best spent there, especially considering I'll probably change out the 1080gtx in 2 years time and wouldn't want to be hindered waiting for a new waterblock to come out

Karl2177

I just ordered a system with a gigabyte z170-hd3p, but I later read some bad impressions for gigabyte boards. Do you think it is worth changing to a different or more expensive board?
I have a mixed impression of gigabyte boards. The first one I built was a dud out of the box, so I got a replacement through Newegg. It worked fine for about 3 years before the pci slots stopped working. My friend got one and he's had no problems with it, but he's only had it for about 6 months now. I just bought one for my parents and it was a bit of a pain. It didn't come with a manual and the qr code on the slip of paper redirected to a 404. Then I made a flash drive with a Windows 7 install only to find out that gigabyte boards require a special ISO install of Windows 7 from a USB. None of the boards were your specific model, though.

kikonawa

Motherboard: Asus Z170I PRO GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($159.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($204.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB FTW Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card ($679.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Silverstone 700W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($161.26 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit ($109.98 @ My Choice Software)

I'm open to all feedback and suggestions, but I'll quickly cut a few people off by saying the $300 Lian Li case stays! Yes I know thats a ridiculous amount of money for a case, but I dont care, I absolutely love it. In fact I'll actually be getting the white version to match my media center

lianli-pc-o5sw-3.jpg

The goal is the best HTPC possible given size constraints. I already have a 500gb 850evo that will be transplanted into this. I've consider going custom loop on the water cooling (and getting a watercooled 1080) however I dont think the money is best spent their, especially considering I'll probably change out the 1080gtx in 2 years time and wouldnt want to be hindered waiting for a new waterblock to come out

Do you really need a 100$ cooler?

derFeef

I know msi makes great gaming notebooks, but are the graphic cards reliable as well?
Considering a 1070 Gaming X 8G since it's a little shorter than most of the other cards.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Do you really need a 100$ cooler?

I do overclock, probably looking to achieve 4.7 on the cpu, and this computer will be next to a Denon x4200w that puts off some serious heat that can affect the whole area.

Normally I wouldnt put a AIO in and choose for a more reliable air system, but the height is restricted to a 85mm HSF with this case. Reviews for all the itx coolers are rather bad/limited, so I dont think I'll have the sucess I'm looking for with them. Additionally I want to be running rans at a lower rpm (i'll be replacing the fans on that AIO right away likely)

LilJoka

I'm open to all feedback and suggestions, but I'll quickly cut a few people off by saying the $300 Lian Li case stays! Yes I know thats a ridiculous amount of money for a case, but I dont care, I absolutely love it. In fact I'll actually be getting the white version to match my media center

lianli-pc-o5sw-3.jpg

The goal is the best HTPC possible given size constraints. I already have a 500gb 850evo that will be transplanted into this. I've consider going custom loop on the water cooling (and getting a watercooled 1080) however I dont think the money is best spent their, especially considering I'll probably change out the 1080gtx in 2 years time and wouldnt want to be hindered waiting for a new waterblock to come out

Awesome build.
I dream to build in this case.
You can get away with a 550-600W PSU.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Awesome build.
I dream to build in this case.

Thank you. Its been my dream as well, I bought my wife a new gaming laptop last month (MSI GS63VR, she loves it and the 1060 is one suprisingly powerful gpu!). Now this month she's given me the go ahead to build out my computer. Trying to cap the cost at $2500.

The motherboard is the one area I'm truely torn on. I like the overclocking potential of the ASUS Rog: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...638&cm_re=asus_itx_rog-_-13-132-638-_-Product But the price is a bit steep and I have absolutely no need for its audio features. The Z170l Pro seems to be a bit stripped down though and I worry about its caps. Asrock, MSI and Gigabyte all have well reviewed mobos in the same price range but I've had mobo's fail with all 3 brands, but never once with Asus (have had 2 Asrocks die on me!)

As for the PSU, my worry is noise. Apparently the 700watt Silverstone and Lian Li PSU's are the quietest of the SFX bunch. The 500's are the loudest.

vector824

Thank you. Its been my dream as well, I bought my wife a new gaming laptop last month (MSI GS63VR, she loves it and the 1060 is one suprisingly powerful gpu!). Now this month she's given me the go ahead to build out my computer. Trying to cap the cost at $2500.

I'd go this route. Nothing wrong with what you did, but this is going to give you more performance per dollar. I added an M.2 SSD, 2tb HDD and changed the RAM to 3000mhz, no need for 3200mhz. Put's you right under budget.

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($315.62 @ B&H)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($119.88 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Silverstone 700W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($156.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $2436.40
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-20 13:12 EDT-0400

BigEmil

I tried helping my cousin to build his PC this was my first time so i put everything together but when i plug it in and press the power button it don't turn on?

GTX 750Ti
8GB GDDr3 RAM
CX500M Modular
ATX Power Supply
Intel i5 4950k
Motherboard - GA-Z97P-D3

Photos of the build
http://imgur.com/gallery/NLkwH

Pagusas

Elden Member
I'd go this route. Nothing wrong with what you did, but this is going to give you more performance per dollar. I added an M.2 SSD, 2tb HDD and changed the RAM to 3000mhz, no need for 3200mhz. Put's you right under budget.

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($315.62 @ B&H)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($119.88 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Silverstone 700W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($156.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $2436.40
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-20 13:12 EDT-0400

I like that, you sure about the memory? I've seen a few synthetic benchmarks showing some good gains jumping up in memory to 3200? I'd gladly save the money. I can drop the 1TB drive as I do not want any mechanical drives in the case, and I have a 8TB NAS running in our house that stores all of our media. I avoided M2 drives to give me more options with motherboards. The Asus z170l pro supports the m2 on the back of the board (kind of annoying) while the ROG does not support m2 cards.

valouris

Then I made a flash drive with a Windows 7 install only to find out that gigabyte boards require a special ISO install of Windows 7 from a USB.

Huh? This sounds really weird, is that for all Gigabyte boards? And is it only for USB installs or do they require specific ISOs for disc installation as well?

kennah

I tried helping my cousin to build his PC this was my first time so i put everything together but when i plug it in and press the power button it don't turn on?

GTX 750Ti
8GB GDDr3 RAM
CX500M Modular
ATX Power Supply
Intel i5 4950k
Motherboard - GA-Z97P-D3

Photos of the build
http://imgur.com/gallery/NLkwH
Your front panel connections at the bottom of the motherboard didn't get connected. That is where the power button connects to.

Edit. Also your ram is installed in single Chanel mode. Put them in the two light grey slots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom