• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what's a good gpu that's under 300 canadian? My 680 just crapped out this weekend and I'm looking for a decent card that will perform similar to the 680.

The 680 was an absolute beast though and I miss it :(

Pachinko

Hey so , going forward I've been wanting to grab a 4K monitor at some point and figure I may as well get one with gsync since I grabbed a 1070 a little while ago. But it seems that there aren't many options available at the 32 inch size ?

Most just an Acer Predator that costs more than my TV did... so is there something anyone can recommend or will I just have to wait it out for a while ?

Bloodember

My friends mentioning something about "shorting out the pins to reset the cmos".

What is this and would it work?

Do we have any details on those? Actual ones and not wccftech manufactured rumors? I'm waiting but I don't even know what I'm waiting for.

Holiday deals? $avings.
Kaby? It's a minuscule upgrade, Haswell Refresh: Skylake Edition.
Zen/Summit Ridge? I want to believe, but it's been over a decade since AMD truly delivered on the CPU front.

Doesn't help that Z170 mATX options are kinda lame if you don't want to spend $200 on a motherboard. ITX + m.2 -> PCIe is also an option, but that means dealing with weird adapters and stuff.

Kaby Lake won't be out till next year. What's lame about mATX options? I use a mITX and don't need any weird adapters. Not sure what your going on about there.

Is there anything a bit dodgy that needs to be considered going from an amd to nvidia graphics card? I'm guessing it goes as follows:

Removed drivers and software for amd,
Turn off, remove amd card
Insert nvidia card,
Turn on, install nvidia drivers and software,

samar11

Try downloading the driver.

Forza Apex (from the Windows Store) is free and looks great. While not cheap, Doom is certainly the most impressive game I've played yet. It looks stunning at ultra settings. I hear the Metro games are visually impressive too. Wolfenstein can be had for cheap and it looks really good. There's a big sale over at the Humble store, you'll see a number of new titles (Rise of the Tomb Raider for $40, etc).

All good now! Thanks mate.

TGMIII

So this is just a proposed build right now but I'm looking at the following:

CPU: i7-6700K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4-3000
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
GPU: MSI GTX 1080 GAMING X
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750W 80+ Gold

The two things stopping me right now is picking a suitable case with front intake without a door and thinking about if the 1080 is a good pickup for the price this long into the current generation. I don't keep as up to date with hardware these days but as far as I was aware, we've yet to see any "big" Pascal cards and they're due anytime between Dec-Q1 2017.

Any suggestions, thoughts or recommendation of different parts?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Kaby Lake won't be out till next year. What's lame about mATX options? I use a mITX and don't need any weird adapters. Not sure what your going on about there.

None of the boards are appealing. They are all lacking in some way or another, or they cost $200+. The ATX and ITX selection seems a lot better.

And I need more PCIe slots than ITX has.

6 months of enduring Windows 10, I reverted to Windows 7 after the Anniversary Update and I have no words to describe how good it feels.. I just had to share this with PC GAF today.

Probably a GTX 1060 if you can find one below $300 canadian.

Edit** VRAM will probably be 3gb though. Maybe someone else can recommend something better from AMD

Add a bit more to get a RX 480 8GB or a GTX 1060 6GB. If not then look for a RX 480 4GB.

ty was just looking at the card and I guess it's on par with a 980? Pretty amazing. I'll most likely have to budget to get one

Computer's starting to show its age after 6 years so I'm aiming to get it upgraded ASAP, especially since I'm starting to feel the motherboard is on its death legs (stuff's increasingly crashing, long loading times which weren't there months eariler, a video for work took eons longer than it should've) but I wanted some of PC Gaf's help while I suss out a combination between price and performance. Especially since ebay Australia has a 15% off sale which might lead to me getting some stuff off way cheaper than usual.

At the moment I already have a MSI brand NVidia Geforce GTA 1070 managed to get several hundred dollars off in an online sale, (my current card was a 660 GTX, so i felt an upgrade was warranted at this point).

CPU. This was the main thing I was torn on what to get. The local PC store I was planning to get most of my parts from, they said I don't want to go TOO high-end since if I'm not planning to overclock my PC (and I'm not), the upgrades start to get a bit redundant. They recommended the i7-6700k which online is 440 Australian dollars before the discount, however while the i7-6800k is two hundred bucks more, a few things I've seen online indicate even if I don't take advantage of overclocking it's significantly more powerful?

Motherboard: I'm also a bit lost here, though the store indicated anything higher than 200 bucks is really geared more towards hardcore overclockers and the like, which put stuff like the Asus X99 Sabertooth motherboard (I'll admit I'm going off Terry Crew's build here :p ) well out of my range. I'm probably going back to the store to have them help with this and the desktop case, since I'm pretty sure my graphics card alone is bigger than my old setup.

RAM: I apparently can't reuse what I have now since it's two old, however the 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum from the same build seems like it'd be easy enough to get in this sale. It's guaranteed to work on any modern motherboard, right?

SSD: I have a Samsun 250g SSD my main OS and programs run on, however for gaming and render jobs I have a backup 500gig HDD one which is borderline dead and I was looking to get another Samsung SSD. 2TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD is REALLY expensive, however is the 'pro' line worth it? If it is, would I still be fine with just the 1TB model? Or should I be looking further ahead?

Cooler: Store seems to think I wouldn't need one, but most builds I'm seeing here and elsewhere have some sort of heatsink or cooling system. Crew's is a Corsair H100i V2 CPU cooler which is probably overkill, but would the CM Hyper 212 EVO or something like that do the trick?

Blu-ray drive: Assuming there isn't much variance with what you can get for this. Assuming ASUS is recommended?

Sound card: My current PC since forever has had that annoying crackling issue with sound/music I can NEVER seem to get rid of; will a upgraded motherboard/CPU alleviate this issue, or would I want to buy something like the Asus Xonar Essence STX soundcard (if not a cheaper model)?

Power supply: Gonna let the guy at the shop help me with this one, unless there's something I should know with the sort of equipment I'm getting. They don't seem to think I'd need something too elaborate, but I'm still paranoid all this stuff is going to require a large wattage.

I'm fine with the monitor I have at the moment, but something like the ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q to finally check out something higher than 60fps and G-Sync would be cool. Unless there's cheaper but still quality models out there (I don't remotely give a shit about dumb extras like light up stuff) this I can happily pass on for now.

Any comments/recommendations about whether I should go forward with some of this stuff, if some stuff is overkill for my needs or if the store's advice is bad is gonna be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Hey guys i need a ssd i chose the samsung ssd 750 evo 500gb.
my pc supports sata 600.
And i believe i can just click the red wire into my ssd.

There is also an extra slot for an power cable on my ssd.
but none of the plugs i have fit it.
Do i need a S-ATA molex to S-ata ?

Also am i missing something else ?
I already use an ssd on my laptop.
And i really want this update..

vector824

So this is just a proposed build right now but I'm looking at the following:

CPU: i7-6700K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4-3000
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
GPU: MSI GTX 1080 GAMING X
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750W 80+ Gold

The two things stopping me right now is picking a suitable case with front intake without a door and thinking about if the 1080 is a good pickup for the price this long into the current generation. I don't keep as up to date with hardware these days but as far as I was aware, we've yet to see any "big" Pascal cards and they're due anytime between Dec-Q1 2017.

Any suggestions, thoughts or recommendation of different parts?

For a case pick up the NZXT s340. It's inexpensive but great quality. I have the blue/black combo.

I reseated it today since I had put it in its box yesterday.

I might just try a different MOBO? A more current one..? Honestly I should've gone with the Z...one of the Z series ones..I linked it earlier but last second I decided to get the H170~

Oh dear, well that would be an option but as others have said there aren't really any boards that are more or less current in a socket-generation outside of high-end enthusiast stuff.

You're a god damn genius!! Thanks so much.

No problem I'm glad I could help :) It's really weird that nVidia cards act like this. When I switched to my GTX 1070 after owning AMD cards for 10 years I first thought it was broken because I would get no display on boot-up only to find out the 1070 defaulted to my TV and completely ignored my monitor. AMD cards on the other hand display the boot-up stage on all connected displays.

6 months of enduring Windows 10, I reverted to Windows 7 after the Anniversary Update and I have no words to describe how good it feels.. I just had to share this with PC GAF today.

That's exactly why I went with two SSDs and dual-boot Win7 and Win10. I only use Win10 when I must which will be a bit more with Forza Horizon 3 coming out but I similarly ripped my hair out with the Anniversary Update and while Win10 is faster and more "modern" some design and UI choices really grate on my nerves :/

Is there anything a bit dodgy that needs to be considered going from an amd to nvidia graphics card? I'm guessing it goes as follows:

Removed drivers and software for amd,
Turn off, remove amd card
Insert nvidia card,
Turn on, install nvidia drivers and software,

Yeah that should do the trick :)

For a case pick up the NZXT s340. It's inexpensive but great quality. I have the blue/black combo.

Whoa that looks absolutely awesome! :D What do you use for the lighting? :eek:

TGMIII

I built a PC not too long ago for a friend using that case and it was great to work with but I'm personally not a fan of cases that obscure the front in any way like the NZXT cases with the front cover or Fractal with their front doors.

Maybe I'm incorrect but I always thought that a fair amount of cooling performance was lost due to those and the room I'll have my PC in can get pretty hot at times so cooling is pretty important for me.

Iorv3th

Would there be any issue in buying an older tablet?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00V49LL90/?tag=neogaf0e-20

vs

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C5UP2TG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

This is pretty much for streaming stuff and web browsing. I feel like I don't necessarily need a brand spanking new tablet and I've never purchased/owned one so I'm not so confident lol

Can't see what that first one costs, didn't see a price. But if you are spending around 200$ go with Nvidia Shield K1.

vector824

Whoa that looks absolutely awesome! :D What do you use for the lighting? :eek:

Damn this looks fantastic.

I built a PC not too long ago for a friend using that case and it was great to work with but I'm personally not a fan of cases that obscure the front in any way like the NZXT cases with the front cover or Fractal with their front doors.

Maybe I'm incorrect but I always thought that a fair amount of cooling performance was lost due to those and the room I'll have my PC in can get pretty hot at times so cooling is pretty important for me.

Thanks guys! NZXT Hue+ controller and LED kit. Around $60 and totally worth it.

It has inch wide openings on top and bottom and can fit 2 140mm fans in front. Airflow is definitely not an issue in this case. Here's a pic showing the top (sorry a little dusty).

Magnus

Thoughts on this bad boy? Works out to about $1200 US:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=7_1203_1446_1448&item_id=093774

Form Factor Micro-ATX Mini-Tower
Processor Model Intel Core i5-6600
Processor Speed 3.30 GHz, up to 3.90 GHz
Number of Cores 4
Chipset Intel B150
Graphics NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB
Standard Memory 8 GB
Memory Type DDR4
SSD 240GB SSD
Optical Drive No ODD
Ethernet Gigabit LAN
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 64-Bit

This is a well-known computer store chain in Toronto that builds their own rigs like this one. I recognize I'd probably paying a small premium to have them build it for me (probably somewhere between $100 and 200), but otherwise, I believe it should have all the positive hallmarks of a custom rig, rather than a pre-built one from Dell, Asus, etc.

Sound card: My current PC since forever has had that annoying crackling issue with sound/music I can NEVER seem to get rid of; will a upgraded motherboard/CPU alleviate this issue, or would I want to buy something like the Asus Xonar Essence STX soundcard (if not a cheaper model)?

I too am very curious to know people's replies to this.

RootCause

First one was the old version of the 8" galaxy tablet for $175. I hadn't looked at the Nvidia tablet before but it looks pretty good. Thanks!
I was going to suggest the same thing. Much better hardware for a little bit more. I own one, and it's really a great tablet. Got myself a mini HDMI, and I use it for streaming, and even playing games.

Adding an SSD to my system finally. It's a relatively smaller drive (250gb) and is just going to house the OS, Steam, some games, and various other programs.

What is the consensus on cloning vs fresh install? Any performance difference between the two? I don't want to spend a ton of time re-downloading all of my programs and settings, but at the same time I don't want to clone over a ton of junk from my HDD.

abbyabs

Wife took my daughter to a Peppa pig party so it was cable management day. I did the best with what I could on this particular desk. Doesn't leave a lot of room to hide wires. Wish it was a little better but not too bad.

Nicely done didn't know you could buy those cable hook thingys.....

fvng

I can't get a straight answer from other forums. What PC video card is comparable to the specs of the Ps4 Pro

Bloodember

Adding an SSD to my system finally. It's a relatively smaller drive (250gb) and is just going to house the OS, Steam, some games, and various other programs.

What is the consensus on cloning vs fresh install? Any performance difference between the two? I don't want to spend a ton of time re-downloading all of my programs and settings, but at the same time I don't want to clone over a ton of junk from my HDD.

You should be fine.

jfoul

I ended up buying an i7 6700K, and ASUS Maximus VIII Gene from Microcenter yesterday. Also got 32GB DDR4 3200 from Newegg. I ain't got time to wait for Black Friday, or the i7 7700k in January.

I didn't need it all, but my wife could use my i7 4770K, Gigabyte MB, 16GB Ram as an upgrade. Purchase justified.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I too am very curious to know people's replies to this.

In is physically similar to a 480 but will probably not match a 470 due to the reduced clocks. PS4 Pro/470/480 are about 4.2/5/5.8 TF respectively, unless it ended up being clocked faster than rumors indictated.

Looks like Kaby lake is about to hit, first reports of it getting listed on some online retailers.

i7700k looks to be 4.2ghz, still a quad core, price looks to be in the mid $300s again.

I figured I'll hold off my part order till its out and either grab it if it shows marked improvements over the 6700k, or grab a reduced priced 6700k during the stock sale.

http://*********.com/intel-core-i7-7700k-kaby-lake-listed-online/

Aren't they supposed to hit late this year, or next year? I dont trust wccf at all.

The Chef

Sup PC Gaf. Im slowly in the process of building out a machine based off the info in the OP. (insanely helpful btw!)

Quick question regarding a monitor. Looking at the suggested monitors in the OP as well as eading on the other thread the benefit of the 144hz I've noticed that it seems the majority of the recommendations are 1080p displays. Is this all good? I havent been in the PC game in YEARS but I just figured everyone would be wanting super high-resolution displays. Is this not the case?

jfoul

In is physically similar to a 480 but will probably not match a 470 due to the reduced clocks. PS4 Pro/470/480 are about 4.2/5/5.8 TF respectively, unless it ended up being clocked faster than rumors indictated.

Aren't they supposed to hit late this year, or next year? I dont trust wccf at all.

CES 2017 (January)

Bloodember

Kaby Lake won't be out till early next year, the mobile processors should be out late this year though. This was announced in August when Intel announced the chips.

Protein

Banned
Hello GAF,

What is the best way to Bluetooth audio to my desktop?

Would a Bluetooth USB dongle be my best bet? If so, which one do you recommend? Some of the reviews on Amazon are awful for these devices.

I just need something to easily stream podcasts to my desktop computer.

This is usually a driver issue. One that can be a real pain to solve. It can also be related to CPU power settings. The best tool for troubleshooting I know of is a program called LatencyMon.

Get what you can direct from the motherboard manufacturer, but you may need to find out what audio chip is in there and get newer drivers from somewhere else. It's possible that there is no good option out there.

It can also be a motherboard issue where the audio circuit is picking up noise from something else. If this is the case the issue will usually show up in user reviews for the board, as other people should have it as well.

Yes, a sound card or USB DAC, whatever, will fix it if the problem is due to an audio chip/driver issue and not being caused by something else in the system. A cheap one is fine unless you are an audiophile and want the extra features of the expensive ones.

Hello GAF,

What is the best way to Bluetooth audio to my desktop?

Would a Bluetooth USB dongle be my best bet? If so, which one do you recommend? Some of the reviews on Amazon are awful for these devices.

I just need something to easily stream podcasts to my desktop computer.

Dongle is your best bet. I have one of the little Asus ones and it's fine. Windows doesn't play all that nice with bluetooth in general, so expect to have some issues (this is also, I believe, the source of the bad reviews).

Could someone please tell me if my current CPU is good enough for upgrading to a GTX 1070?
s5PCbvS.png

It is a relatively old CPU, but it is an i7. I want to upgrade from an ATI 5750 and was hoping I only need to replace the GPU.

ACE 1991

Could someone please tell me if my current CPU is good enough for upgrading to a GTX 1070?
s5PCbvS.png

It is a relatively old CPU, but it is an i7. I want to upgrade from an ATI 5750 and was hoping I only need to replace the GPU.

What games are you playing/want to play? A 1070 will be a MASSIVE upgrade over your 5750, regardless of how old your CPU is. The CPU is still fine for the vast majority of games.

kuYuri

Sup PC Gaf. Im slowly in the process of building out a machine based off the info in the OP. (insanely helpful btw!)

Quick question regarding a monitor. Looking at the suggested monitors in the OP as well as eading on the other thread the benefit of the 144hz I've noticed that it seems the majority of the recommendations are 1080p displays. Is this all good? I havent been in the PC game in YEARS but I just figured everyone would be wanting super high-resolution displays. Is this not the case?

I had my first gaming PC built in 2009 for 1080p gaming and it was good for awhile, upgrading that PC in 2011 then again in 2014. Once I decided to say screw it and went big on a 1440p/144hz monitor in 2015 along with the GPU upgrade for that, I can't imagine myself ever going back to 1080p. The jump in resolution was so noticeable. I'm sure I would have the same eye popping moment once I upgrade to 4K, but I don't want to lose my frames for 4K just yet.

The Chef

I had my first gaming PC built in 2009 for 1080p gaming and it was good for awhile, upgrading that PC in 2011 then again in 2014. Once I decided to say screw it and went big on a 1440p/144hz monitor in 2015 along with the GPU upgrade for that, I can't imagine myself ever going back to 1080p. The jump in resolution was so noticeable. I'm sure I would have the same eye popping moment once I upgrade to 4K, but I don't want to lose my frames for 4K just yet.

Yeah I find it so interesting that a lot of recommendations are 1080p. I mean for a PC monitor that just seems so low these days. Especially using it for work as well.

Mystic654

FSO6v44l.jpg

yYjCgcTl.jpg

d2bGhKsl.jpg

Nice and empty before I fill the case up with watercooling parts. I might have went a little overboard at Case-Labs Store. I wanted to get TX case. No store had them in stock and CaseLabs stopped taking Orders. I went with SM8(Which I already Had) and two pedestals(Which will act as heat chambers).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom