• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried helping my cousin to build his PC this was my first time so i put everything together but when i plug it in and press the power button it don't turn on?

GTX 750Ti
8GB GDDr3 RAM
CX500M Modular
ATX Power Supply
Intel i5 4950k
Motherboard - GA-Z97P-D3

Photos of the build
http://imgur.com/gallery/NLkwH

Make sure all your jumpers are correct and you have the molex and cpu connectors inserted properly. Also, you should boot the first time without a graphics card as that just makes diagnosis more complicated if there's a problem.

vector824

I like that, you sure about the memory? I've seen a few synthetic benchmarks showing some good gains jumping up in memory to 3200? I'd gladly save the money. I can drop the 1TB drive as I do not want any mechanical drives in the case, and I have a 8TB NAS running in our house that stores all of our media. I avoided M2 drives to give me more options with motherboards. The Asus z170l pro supports the m2 on the back of the board (kind of annoying) while the ROG does not support m2 cards.

Ah ok. Yeah me and a guy on here looked at quite a few benchmarks only showing 1-2fps over 3000 and even 2400 memory. I could find them but it'll take me awhile.

Yeah then drop the spinny one. I would definitely recommend the M.2 over the SATA SSD though. It's a marked improvement in hard drive performance. You plug it in once and forget it, so it doesn't really matter where it goes. You're looking at a 150% increase in speeds over an 850 evo...

Source

LilJoka

I like that, you sure about the memory? I've seen a few synthetic benchmarks showing some good gains jumping up in memory to 3200? I'd gladly save the money. I can drop the 1TB drive as I do not want any mechanical drives in the case, and I have a 8TB NAS running in our house that stores all of our media. I avoided M2 drives to give me more options with motherboards. The Asus z170l pro supports the m2 on the back of the board (kind of annoying) while the ROG does not support m2 cards.

The TridentZ (I have the kit) should do 3000Mhz CL14, that will be faster than most 3200Mhz kits that are CL15/16.
M2 will make the build cleaner, so I would consider it.

liezryou

Hey guys, i'm starting to buy parts for my build. The build itself is a long ways off, but i just wanted to ask what case sales should i be on the lookout for.

Ideally i want a case that is mostly steel and has magnetic filters for it's fans. Should also come with at least 1 intake and 1 exhaust fan and have relatively easy cable management. My absolute budget for the case is <75$, but with sales/rebates i'd ideally like to hit <50$.

So far i have found two cases i'm already watching:
Phanteks P400
Fractal Define S

vector824

Hey guys, i'm starting to buy parts for my build. The build itself is a long ways off, but i just wanted to ask what case sales should i be on the lookout for.

Ideally i want a case that is mostly steel and has magnetic filters for it's fans. Should also come with at least 1 intake and 1 exhaust fan and have relatively easy cable management. My absolute budget for the case is <75$, but with sales/rebates i'd ideally like to hit <50$.

Phanteks P400
Fractal Define S

NZXT S340 all day!

Pagusas

Elden Member
Ah ok. Yeah me and a guy on here looked at quite a few benchmarks only showing 1-2fps over 3000 and even 2400 memory. I could find them but it'll take me awhile.

Yeah then drop the spinny one. I would definitely recommend the M.2 over the SATA SSD though. It's a marked improvement in hard drive performance. You plug it in once and forget it, so it doesn't really matter where it goes. You're looking at a 300% increase in speeds over an 850 pro...

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015...t-pcie-m-2-nvme-ssd-is-an-absolute-monster/2/

The TridentZ (I have the kit) should do 3000Mhz CL14, that will be faster than most 3200Mhz kits that are CL15/16.
M2 will make the build cleaner, so I would consider it.

True enough, you two have convinced me (though all the hard drives are mounted behind the motherboard brackets on the otherside of the case, so there isnt much to gain from no having them except one less SATA cable. Still, that speed increase is worht it.

vector824

True enough, you two have convinced me (though all the hard drives are mounted behind the motherboard brackets on the otherside of the case, so there isnt much to gain from no having them except one less SATA cable. Still, that speed increase is worht it.

I edit my post to compare to the EVO. And yes, totally worth it. I have an M.2 and it's a screamer, especially if you're doing any large file transfers for video editing.

My Gigabyte mobo mounts the M.2 on the front of the board. GA-Z170X-UD5 TH

LilJoka

SATA and SATA power ;)
Speed increase imo isn't worth it. Normal SSDs are already so fast, that going to an M2 is just a bit faster.
Depends on what operations youll do, if just gaming and boot time, not a real reason to spend more imo.
But I would spend more for less cables - that's just me though.

Cimarron

That's a 1440p monitor, not 4k. What's your current system like? You may want to go 1440p instead of 4k, as the latter is pretty hard to drive.

i-7 4960 @3.6ghz
16gb ram
sli gtx 980

I am thinking about going all in and buy a Titan X Pascal to go along with a new 4k monitor.

e90Mark

Huh? This sounds really weird, is that for all Gigabyte boards? And is it only for USB installs or do they require specific ISOs for disc installation as well?

Not that I know, I've done 2 skylake builds with Gigabyte boards using the official ISO from MS and using Rufus to make the bootable USB.

CazTGG

So the GPD WIN has got me interested in building my own portable PC/modifying a mini PC to be able to play through my ever-growing Steam backlog in 720p at a reasonable framerate (30 minimum, 60 would be ideal, most demanding game would be Valkyria Chronicles). One that I was looking at was the InFocus Kangaroo due to its relatively cheap price and internal battery, though i'm willing to go up to $350 for the mini PC alone (i.e. the touch screen, controls although I have salvageable parts from a Vita which I could for the controller parts, speakers, adapter, better RAM, etc.).

EDIT: I also found this miniPC for around the same price but with a better CPU. No battery though so that would need to be added.

abbyabs

Phanteks P400
Fractal Define S

Phanteks Enthoo Pro M

Pagusas

Elden Member
Awesome build.
I dream to build in this case.
You can get away with a 550-600W PSU.

This is the room this setup will be going in:

IMG_2151.jpg

The white should go good against the stand, grey wall and the light effects already going on.

LilJoka

This is the room this setup will be going in:

IMG_2151.jpg

The white should go good against the stand, grey wall and the light effects already going on.

Very nice, will be great to see the final build.

I would look at delidding that CPU too. Will make everything cooler and quieter. I doubt you'll hit over 4.5Ghz otherwise.

Looking at selling my Asus VN247H-P triple monitor setup with Stand. Since I am not working at home anymore looking to go to just one nice monitor. Trying to decide between Asus ROG PG279Q and 8Q or going 4k Gsync ROG monitor. Currently have a 970 that will be upgraded shortly. I know 4k isn't really ready for mass use for gaming, I wouldn't mind buying one but I don't really want to run 1440p on a 4k monitor.

I am up for suggestions even on other brands. My biggest up in the air thoughts are the following.

16:9 vs 21:9
1440p vs 4k
Gsync vs No Gsync

I am kinda leaning towards a nice 1440p 144hz monitor but I am open to other suggestions.

Hey guys, I'm going to be building my PC in about a month now, if not mid November, but I'm going to be buying one to three pieces at a time (yes I'm that excited that I want to order my parts asap as I get the money together). I wanted to ask if the GIGABYTE brand is reliable for their GPUs, and how good is their customer service is? I saw that the Gigabyte Radeon Rx 480 G1 Gaming 8GB is in stock on Amazon, and one guy says his didn't work right out the box. This made me nervous since I won't be able to check to see if it works til I get the rest of the parts. Do they make good and reliable cards? Also what's a good gaming monitor for $200-$250?

If it matters my specs will be:
i5-6500 3.2 GHz
8GB of RAM (will add more each month)
Gigabyte RX480 8GB
520W 80+ Bronze

BosSin

Yeah was thinking of doing this, will report back tomorrow. It's really late now

Ok, update time (click here for a recap: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=217419977&postcount=10129)

So, when I got home I tried unplugging my front audio port from the motherboard and used my PC for 10 mins. Everything seemed fine. I plugged the front audio port in, and at first everything was working normally (this was surprising). However, after half an hour, it turned to shit again and my PC kept detecting non-existent audio devices being plugged in and removed from the front ports.

Now, as a last ditch effort I tried to uninstall my realtek drivers. But the problem still persists (it's just slightly less visible) because when I click volume control I can intermittently see "Headphones" as an option.

I will re-install the realtek drivers and use my pc with the front audio port disconnected for a while. If the problem is totally gone after hours of use, it seems like I am left with no option but to contact the manufacturer of the case.

It's going to suck having to disassemble and reconstruct my entire PC, just to deal with this audio issue. If I didn't spend a lot of money on this build I wouldn't be so obsessive over something this minor. But everything should just work (and I pray to all gods of every religion that I don't end up re-assembling my entire PC just to find out it was the mobo that is causing headache).

I did such a good job with wire management as well...

LilJoka

Ok, update time (click here for a recap: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=217419977&postcount=10129)

So, when I got home I tried unplugging my front audio port from the motherboard and used my PC for 10 mins. Everything seemed fine. I plugged the front audio port in, and at first everything was working normally (this was surprising). However, after half an hour, it turned to shit again and my PC kept detecting non-existent audio devices being plugged in and removed from the front ports.

Now, as a last ditch effort I tried to uninstall my realtek drivers. But the problem still persists (it's just slightly less visible) because when I click volume control I can intermittently see "Headphones" as an option.

I will re-install the realtek drivers and use my pc with the front audio port disconnected for a while. If the problem is totally gone after hours of use, it seems like I am left with no option but to contact the manufacturer of the case.

It's going to suck having to disassemble and reconstruct my entire PC, just to deal with this audio issue. If I didn't spend a lot of money on this build I wouldn't be so obsessive over something this minor. But everything should just work (and I pray to all gods of every religion that I don't end up re-assembling my entire PC just to find out it was the mobo that is causing headache).

I did such a good job with wire management as well...

If the front panel can be disassembled from the case, the manufacturer will just send the board. That will save you from a complete strip down and build.

I never use the realtek drivers, they are buggy as hell - I do use HDMI audio, so I also have no need for them, but on other builds I don't install them either way.

Its either the board or the case, getting a new front panel assembly will be the quickest way to test.

Pagusas

Elden Member
If the front panel can be disassembled from the case, the manufacturer will just send the board. That will save you from a complete strip down and build.

I never use the realtek drivers, they are buggy as hell - I do use HDMI audio, so I also have no need for them, but on other builds I don't install them either way.

Its either the board or the case, getting a new front panel assembly will be the quickest way to test.

Agreed, I think every modern issue I've ever had with my builds has been because of realtek drivers. At one point I completed disabled all onboard audio and just shoved an old Xfi into the system, worked well until HDMI became a good stable audio solution via GPUs.

BosSin

I thought it might be the realtek drivers so I uninstalled, but had the same problems without them.

I might be able to detach the front audio port from the case. It will probably require maneuvering the cable attached to it as well though, it seemed like the board is quite attached to it's cable.

I'll give that a look, and get in touch with the case manufacturer ASAP. That way it will give me time to talk to Gigabyte if everything is still fucked.

I thought it might be the realtek drivers so I uninstalled, but had the same problems without them.

I might be able to detach the front audio port from the case. It will probably require maneuvering the cable attached to it as well though, it seemed like the board is quite attached to it's cable.

I'll give that a look, and get in touch with the case manufacturer ASAP. That way it will give me time to talk to Gigabyte if everything is still fucked.

It sounds like I have very similar problem to you. I never figured out what caused them, and it comes at goes. Sometimes it will be gone for weeks, and then I'll turn on my PC and the sound will be completely broken and crackly. I then restart my computer, sometimes 3 or 4 times, and it goes away. No idea how to fix it.

joecanada

It sounds like I have very similar problem to you. I never figured out what caused them, and it comes at goes. Sometimes it will be gone for weeks, and then I'll turn on my PC and the sound will be completely broken and crackly. I then restart my computer, sometimes 3 or 4 times, and it goes away. No idea how to fix it.

I also have the problem where it randomly detects something plugged and unplugged from realtek drivers.... But I just completely switched PCs so I can't imagine it's hardware ? I was sure it was the drivers

Bloodember

Have totally removed the front audio port from my case, here's a picture of the fucker:

Guess it's time to write an email to Phanteks
Phanteks should just replace that part. I had the front panel of a case broke in shipping and they replaced the panel without issue.

I wouldn't bother investing in more RAM for Sandy Bridge. It's still holding out for now, but it doesn't have the years left in it that it used to. If you do get more RAM, don't spend much. Getting a cheap used set to compliment your current RAM wouldn't be a terrible idea, but keep in mind that could impact your OC. More sticks or higher RAM speed is more intensive on the memory controller.
Thanks, I guess I'll hold off on adding more RAM until my new mobo/CPU/DDR4 build next year or so.

Jesus i have no clue what 1070 to get. Is there a "best" version or is it all just very slight differences in fans and stuff? Currently leaning towards a EVGA.

Celcius

°Temp. member
So frustrated.
Today I bought an Asus PG27AQ monitor ($900) and had really been looking forward to it. 4K, IPS, G-sync, etc... and when I first turned it on and did some simple web browsing it looked amazing. Then I decide to load up a game and while it's loading the screen goes black... While the screen is black I see the back light bleed. :(
I've returned it to the store and may now be on my current 1080p 23" monitor for a long time methinks. This is actually the 2nd asus 4k monitor I've returned this year due to back light bleed. I know I'm not crazy, as at work we have tons of Dell P2715Q (4k & IPS, but no gsync) monitors and none of them have noticeable backlight bleed even on dark backgrounds and even my current ancient Asus monitor doesn't. Since 27"+ monitor boxes are so big and heavy (the box handle snapped when I first tried to pick it up lol), I don't feel like going through the hassle of trying the panel lottery again (at least for now). Is so much backlight bleed consider acceptable on gaming monitors these days? Ugh.

Bloodember

Hey guys! Quick question:

So I'm planning to build a PC within the next year. I have a 7 year old system which I did not build myself. A friend did everything for me. This time around I wanna do everything myself, so I'm trying to pick all the parts I can use from the old system.

Does this PSU have a bright future? Or should I just get a new one?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139002&FM=1
If that's the PSU that's been in your system for 7 years, replace it when you build a new system.

I'm looking to add virtual 5.1 (or 7.1) headphone surround to one of my PCs (i7-3770k and GTX 1060). HRTFs. This PC is run through a receiver and plasma via HDMI, but that doesn't give me surround (nor do I care, as this room doesn't have surround speakers nor the room for them). Is there a software only solution for this (aka virtual sound card that does Dolby Headphone or something similar)? For OpenAL? For EAX?

Or is the best route to add a sound card?

I have a 2007 X-Fi Titanium that I found in a dusty old box of parts in my closet (this one). Should I just use that? Would W10 drivers even work with it? Edit: It appears so.

I haven't used a sound card in like six years and I'm not up to speed on that scene at all, but I really want some headphone surround for hopefully, most games that can output surround.

fast_taker

I can see that most tower suggestions are midi towers but full towers provide better air flow etc. What is your suggestion guys? Thanks

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I can see that most tower suggestions are midi towers but full towers provide better air flow etc. What is your suggestion guys? Thanks

Full towers don't have an inherent airflow benefit. If anything they are more likely to end up with hotspots with poor airflow due to their size. Airflow depends on the design of the case and the fan layout, it's entirely possible for a mITX or mATX case to have just as good or better airflow than a larger mid tower or full tower.

LordAlu

Jesus i have no clue what 1070 to get. Is there a "best" version or is it all just very slight differences in fans and stuff? Currently leaning towards a EVGA.
In all honesty, there is no true "best" version. Almost all of them are practically identical in noise, temperature, power usage and speed. Pick the one you like the look of most or has the features or warranty you like at a price point that suits you.

Just avoid the Founder's Edition really.

Hi guys. I'm planing to update my GPU from GTX 770 4gb to GTX 1070 8gb. Is it worth updating if i have i5-3570K CPU? Should i change whole rig or GPU will be enough to update? I'm currently playing on 1080p screen, but also planing to buy 4K monitor next year.

After delidding, everything goes back to normal when installing the CPU cooler? Just drop the CPU into the motherboard, add some paste and put the cooler on top?

Steps in order:
1. Pop off IHS.
2. Remove old TIM and adhesive.
3. Apply liquid metal to die.
4. Put cpu in socket.
5. Place IHS on cpu, use socket clamp to hold in place.

Then install the cooler like normal. The whole thing takes half an hour.

Bloodember

Hi guys. I'm planing to update my GPU from GTX 770 4gb to GTX 1070 8gb. Is it worth updating if i have i5-3570K CPU? Should i change whole rig or GPU will be enough to update? I'm currently playing on 1080p screen, but also planing to buy 4K monitor next year.

You should be fine for awhile yet. You should overclock that CPU though.

CazTGG

Okay, since I didn't get a response, i'll try asking a more specific question:

I'm interested in building a handheld/slightly-thicker-than-a-tablet-size PC for playing games in 720/1080 on the go (rough build: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/2VCpBP) and was wondering about powering such a device with a rechargeable battery. Would this be possible and if so, what battery could be used (I found this one for about $25 but I don't know if it would be powerful enough to run such a device for 2-3 hours plus the screen)? As a follow-up, would it be possible to solder button inputs to the motherboard? Budget is $1,000 but i'm willing to spend a bit more efficient components.

Hayabusi

My current setup:

HTPC (living room): i3-2100t, 4gb RAM
Desktop (Office): i5-2500k, 8gb RAM, Geforce 960 4gb

My plan is to shift my gaming to the living room and thus I already moved the 960 into the HTPC.
But obviously the CPU is way to weak for a good 1080p experience.

I had the idea to upgrade the HTPC rig to Skylake for around 500€, incl. CPU, RAM, board and case. Would keep everything else.

But then I thought about it and now I am considering to buy an used i5 3570k for 100€ or so, upgrade the RAM to 16gb und perhaps buy an 1060 later and it would also sum up to 500€. (would still buy the new case)

What do you guys think?
The HTPC would be used mainly as Kodi machine + gaming, so I want it near silent for the Kodi time.
Will the lower consumption of skylake make a real difference there?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom