• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which is a nicer monitor upgrade to aim for, assuming I have the rig for it? G Sync or 144Hz?

I play all sorts of genres. I have not found any place around me that demos either of them. A monitor with both is probably too expensive.

Which is a nicer monitor upgrade to aim for, assuming I have the rig for it? G Sync or 144Hz?

I play all sorts of genres. I have not found any place around me that demos either of them. A monitor with both is probably too expensive.
How much are you willing to spend?

Amazon has a deal on Dell S2417DG (24", 1440p, 165Hz, G-Sync), for $360: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IOO4SGK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I'd personally go with 144Hz if I had to choose, because G-Sync at 60Hz doesn't do much for me. 60Hz is simply too low, even 120 is a bit on the lower end.

Raw64life

Amazon has a deal atm: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IOO4SGK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I'd personally prefer 144Hz, because G-Sync at 60Hz doesn't do much for me. 60Hz is simply too low, even 120 is a bit on the low end.

I will probably never buy a (primary) monitor without 144Hz+.

That monitor actually goes up to 165hz. It's a fantastic deal. Only real negative is no IPS. Just bought it the other day at $409 and had to talk to Amazon customer support just now to get them to refund me the difference.

Bread

Banned
36KaTqc.png
Here's my build (totals are after mail in rebates)

how did I do?

Reposting from the Gaming Laptop thread because I felt it fits both:

So I've been debating to myself whether a gaming laptop or PC would be better for the next 2 and a half years of university. I've got an overall budget of around £2,000 and I'd like some advice :)

My number 1 choice right now for a laptop is the MSI GT62VR Dominator Pro with the i7 6700HQ and 1070, 16gb of RAM and 1070 which I can get for around £1,900. A PC with the exact same specs outside of the CPU (6700k instead of HQ) would net me around £1,500; however, I would have to buy a new laptop beside that as I will need to replace my dying Thinkpad X220 soon (i.e. before June) so that choice would be about £1,800-£2,000 overall.

As for usage, I'll be using the laptop every day with most of that usage being basic internet browsing, word, etc. On the weekends I'll be using either the PC or Laptop for heavy gaming, and during the Summer, Winter and Easter holidays (overall about 5 months) I'll be using it much more. For travelling, the laptop would be carried around to lectures/the library every weekday and whenever I go home for the weekend; the computer would stay in my Uni room and then taken back for those three major holidays.

I'm not worried about specs considering the 1070 at 1080p/60 is overkill even now, and with G-Sync on both my current monitor (144hz) and the laptop's monitor the performance impact is definitely lessened.

So GAF, what do you think? Would the laptop be able to handle that kind of usage for at least 3 years?

i think laptop hardware like that would hold up fine, but i'd be more worried about your spine after carrying a gaming laptop around for three years. those things are meant to stay on desks and public transport.

maybe get a new desktop along with a cheap chromebook or something for lectures?

Scythe Fuma is the best CPU cooler you can get under $50
If you want cheaper options

Artic Cooling i32
BeQuiet! Pure Rock
Cryorig H7
Raijintek Aidos
Raijintek Themis

Do not get the Hyper 212 EVO, it's just a popular CPU cooler that performs on par with $20 and if you want to spend that much might as well get a Cryorig m9i. Even with MIR skip loud and cheap $3 fan garbage cooler

This should work on your P400S

So the Hyper 212 EVO is noisy? I am leaning on that Scythe Fuma. Honestly I don't really know much when it comes to CPU coolers and I have no idea what is reliable/ noisy. So I did choose the EVO because it was just really popular. Thanks for the tips.

Joco

That monitor actually goes up to 165hz. It's a fantastic deal. Only real negative is no IPS. Just bought it the other day at $409 and had to talk to Amazon customer support just now to get them to refund me the difference.

Some reviews talk of pixel inversion. Any idea if that's a problem with the monitor?

Are you using the cables that came with the new PSU? Never reuse cables from another PSU. Also make sure everything is grounded correctly. Try turning it by shorting the pins and not use the power button. Have you tried booting without RAM?

Well after nearly 6 hours of troubleshooting and driving back and forth to the computer store twice, it is finally fixed.
We gave the IT guy the new board and both 6600Ks. He went to the back, tested them both and both worked! He said all he did was clear the CMOS, and then updated the BIOS. We noticed he put a stick of RAM in slot A1 when the manual said to put it in slot A2. We also noticed a strip of LED lights that were not previously lit before. We then asked to check our old board to see if it was dead and he came back with news that it would not boot.

We went home, put in our RAM in different slots than before and noticed the new led strips lit. We shorted the power switch pins and boom, it fired. So I guess misplacing the RAM would cause the computer to not even boot/initiate power to any components at all? Sounds fishy but whatever, it works!

Bloodember

Well after nearly 6 hours of troubleshooting and driving back and forth to the computer store twice, it is finally fixed.
We gave the IT guy the new board and both 6600Ks. He went to the back, tested them both and both worked! He said all he did was clear the CMOS, and then updated the BIOS. We noticed he put a stick of RAM in slot A1 when the manual said to put it in slot A2. We also noticed a strip of LED lights that were not previously lit before. We then asked to check our old board to see if it was dead and he came back with news that it would not boot.

We went home, put in our RAM in different slots than before and noticed the new led strips lit. We shorted the power switch pins and boom, it fired. So I guess misplacing the RAM would cause the computer to not even boot/initiate power to any components at all? Sounds fishy but whatever, it works!

Good to hear.

For those PC game in their living rooms, what do you use for your kb/m in games? Not controller, but actual keyboard and mouse. Is there a good lap board? Something of the kind?

Anustart

Going to be building a pc soon for my son and want to take advantage of any sales if there will be tomorrow, or even now.

Just going to slap my old 760 in it, then wanting to grab an i3 and case, psu, ram, hd, m+km.

Trying to stay below 400. Anyone have recommendations on a good case that might be on sale?

Bloodember

For those PC game in their living rooms, what do you use for your kb/m in games? Not controller, but actual keyboard and mouse. Is there a good lap board? Something of the kind?

The Razer Turret is a good lap board and you also have the Corsair Lapdog, which requires a keyboard. Those are the only two I know of, but I'm sure there are more.

iamblades

So the Hyper 212 EVO is noisy? I am leaning on that Scythe Fuma. Honestly I don't really know much when it comes to CPU coolers and I have no idea what is reliable/ noisy. So I did choose the EVO because it was just really popular. Thanks for the tips.

The 212 EVO is the performance per dollar king(considering you can regularly find them for $20 or so), but they aren't exactly focused on low noise. They aren't the loudest things you could use given their performance, but you do get what you pay for.

Noctua makes the best air coolers money can buy if you are sensitive to noise. The Noctua NH-D14/D15 has been the best air cooler on the market for 7 years now, and even their single stack and low profile designs outperform most small AIO watercoolers. You are going to pay more for it, of course, but IMO it's worth it for their mounting system alone.

If I couldn't afford a noctua I'd go with something from silentiumpc or be quiet!, probably the fortis 3 if I lived in europe:

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/SilentiumPC/Fortis_3_HE1425/6.html

Mozendo

TThe 212 EVO is the performance per dollar king, but they aren't exactly focused on low noise. They aren't the loudest things you could use given their performance, but you do get what you pay for.
It's not a good buy in any category, it's outperformed by coolers in the $20 like the Cryorig M9i. Then there's the garbage quality fan it comes with that won't last a year. It's a terrible value all around in today's CPU cooler market.

iamblades

It's not a good buy in any category, it's outperformed by coolers in the $20 like the Cryorig M9i. Then there's the garbage quality fan it comes with that won't last a year. It's a terrible value all around in today's CPU cooler market.

never seen that cooler before, didn't know cryorig made anything in that price range, but yeah that would be a better option.

I've never really felt like saving 15-20 bucks on the part that is cooling your 200-300+ cpu is all that wise of a decision anyway.

Just assembled my pc. First time builder.
Getting on first boot up...
"reboot and select proper boot device
Or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key"

It didn't load to BIOS, is that bad? Or can I begin installing my OS?

Just assembled my pc. First time builder.
Getting on first boot up...
"reboot and select proper boot device
Or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key"

It didn't load to BIOS, is that bad? Or can I begin installing my OS?
Install your OS. The PC is saying it has nothing to boot from (i.e. OS).

I've never really felt like saving 15-20 bucks on the part that is cooling your 200-300+ cpu is all that wise of a decision anyway.

I agree with that statement, but when building a PC for someone who wants very specific specs, but at the same time doesn't really know much about building a computer or prices, it is very hard to work within that budget that they give you. But I am explaining to this person that there will be a few extra costs. If this were my PC, I wouldn't cheap out on the CPU cooler if I had an i7 6700k in it.

But the information here has been good so far, and I will avoid the 212 EVO.

iamblades

Is there a certain 1070 to get? There are like 1000 different models/types/makes.

http://thepcenthusiast.com/geforce-gtx-1070-compared-asus-evga-zotac-msi-gigabyte/

Here's a good comparison overall. If you are planning on doing serious overclocking, look for one with 2 power connectors, but I don't know how much that even matters on a 1070. It can't hurt though.

The MSI gaming Z looks like a reasonable value for a factory OC right now at 419 from B&H. Palit and Gainward and Galax are unavailable in the US, but I hear good things. I'd avoid all the reference models, ahem, sorry 'founder's edition' (gag) unless you have a specific application where you need a blower style card(ie small case with poor airflow). You can maybe save a few bucks and get a non OC'd model with the same cooler as the factory OC also, and do it yourself, or not even bother if you are just doing 1080p.

I agree with that statement, but when building a PC for someone who wants very specific specs, but at the same time doesn't really know much about building a computer or prices, it is very hard to work within that budget that they give you. But I am explaining to this person that there will be a few extra costs. If this were my PC, I wouldn't cheap out on the CPU cooler if I had an i7 6700k in it.

But the information here has been good so far, and I will avoid the 212 EVO.

Understood.

Raw64life

Some reviews talk of pixel inversion. Any idea if that's a problem with the monitor?

It varies from monitor to monitor. Some will have it to varying degrees.

If you're looking for the best monitor money can buy, it's not that. It's gonna have some problems here and there. But if you want a good g-sync monitor with 144hz at 1440p, it's the best deal you're going to see for a while.

As for me personally, I've had a HannsG 16x10 monitor for the last 9 years that's performed admirably but is now slowly dying. I expect to be blown away by going from what I'm looking at now to the Dell from everything I've seen/heard. Hopefully I get to find out tomorrow.

ParityBit

http://thepcenthusiast.com/geforce-gtx-1070-compared-asus-evga-zotac-msi-gigabyte/

Here's a good comparison overall. If you are planning on doing serious overclocking, look for one with 2 power connectors, but I don't know how much that even matters on a 1070. It can't hurt though.

The MSI gaming Z looks like a reasonable value for a factory OC right now at 419 from B&H. Palit and Gainward and Galax are unavailable in the US, but I hear good things. I'd avoid all the reference models, ahem, sorry 'founder's edition' (gag) unless you have a specific application where you need a blower style card(ie small case with poor airflow). You can maybe save a few bucks and get a non OC'd model with the same cooler as the factory OC also, and do it yourself, or not even bother if you are just doing 1080p.

So this one? I wonder if it will come with the free games?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01L9VBLP6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

iamblades

So this one? I wonder if it will come with the free games?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01L9VBLP6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Yeah, I don't know that I'd pay $470 for it though.

I thought I saw B&H had it for $419, but that was the gaming X model. Same card basically, just lower stock OC:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/co...REG&ap=y&c3api=1876,52934714882,&A=details&Q=

Newegg/amazon has the ROG Strix for $429 which would be my second choice in the factory OC department probably. EVGA has a bunch of options as well, since I think they've resolved the whole mosfet-gate thing, but some other may have better information there. I've mostly used MSI and XFX stuff for the past several years, and the one piece of PC hardware I've had completely die on me within it's useful life was an EVGA 670.

ETA: newegg had the gaming Z for 419 after rebate, but it's sold out:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127959

rtcn63

Newegg/amazon has the ROG Strix for $429 which would be my second choice in the factory OC department probably. EVGA has a bunch of options as well, since I think they've resolved the whole mosfet-gate thing, but some other may have better information there.

From what I've read, there's no real way to know which specific cards might be defective. (As in bad capacitors or whatever) I'd personally stay away from all EVGA 1070/1080s. If you get a bad card, even the new bios and thermal pads won't be of use since it's not related to overheating. The MSI Gaming models aren't that much more expensive and are about as fast and quiet. Hoping my 1060 SC survives its run.

Amazon has a deal atm: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IOO4SGK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I'd personally prefer 144Hz, because G-Sync at 60Hz doesn't do much for me. 60Hz is simply too low, even 120 is a bit on the low end.

I will probably never buy a (primary) monitor without 144Hz+.

Dell.com has a better deal http://www.dell.com/en-us/member/shop/dell-24-gaming-monitor-s2417dg/apd/210-aizs/monitors-flat-panel-widescreen/

$341.99 + 12% cashback using ebates = $300.95

additional 5 % cashback with Dell advantage program and that's on top whatever your credit card company provides.

now that i highlighted that deal for fucks sake someone tell me if this is a better monitor for gaming? i dont have AMD but the selling point is 4K.

LG - 27" IPS LED 4K UHD FreeSync Monitor
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-27-ips-led-4k-uhd-freesync-monitor/4922001.p?skuId=4922001

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Hi Friends,

I want a tiny windows PC. Uses are: Emulation box and arcade box for steam games (Specifically Spelunky and the degica shmups)

Your Current Specs: No Idea
Budget: Canada, a few hundred? (200 to 300)
Main Use: 3? See above
Monitor Resolution: 1080p
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Just Spelunky and arcade games on steam. Mushihimesama, etc. n64 emulation too.
Looking to reuse any parts?: No
When will you build?: Now Do you have a deadline? No
Will you be overclocking?: Yes, No, Maybe (This means yes!) Maybe

Willing to just buy a miniPC if it can do this but I can't find a nice option. Is the mini itx route better you think? Please help

iamblades

Hi Friends,

I want a tiny windows PC. Uses are: Emulation box and arcade box for steam games (Specifically Spelunky and the degica shmups)

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Just Spelunky and arcade games on steam. Mushihimesama, etc. n64 emulation too.

Willing to just buy a miniPC if it can do this but I can't find a nice option. Is the mini itx route better you think? Please help

Sounds like you need a skull canyon nuc, assuming that's actually all you want to do and you really want tiny:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G105ZbHL2l0

You could build a hell of an itx machine for the price though.

ETA: lol nm I just saw your budget. getting sleepy.

I stick with my ultra tiny theme though:

http://www.asrock.com/nettop/intel/deskmini 110 Series/#Options

Probably going to sound like an idiot here :p

PC is assembled, OS is installed, but I'm having some problems updating my motherboard. I opted not to buy an optical drive, so using the included disc is not an option.

Its a Gigabyte H110M-A
The disc is "Intel 100 series Utilities"

Not exactly sure what I have to install, I know wifi isn't working though.

iamblades

Probably going to sound like an idiot here :p

PC is assembled, OS is installed, but I'm having some problems updating my motherboard. I opted not to buy an optical drive, so using the included disc is not an option.

Its a Gigabyte H110M-A
The disc is "Intel 100 series Utilities"

Not exactly sure what I have to install, I know wifi isn't working though.

that board doesn't have wifi unless I'm missing something.

Chuck the disc, and install these:

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5589#dl

haha thanks, welp all the reviews appear to be good, expect those that have mention the monitor failing. But it could be a bad orders since they all appear to be around similar time frames..soo..

Amazon accepts returns until Jan so give it a try and some credit cards provide an additional year of warranty coverage.

i myself have come down to 3 options

both are the same models - TN panels at 1440P with G-Sysnc - 1MS response - 165Hz

1. Dell S2417DG - $341.99

2. Dell S2716DG - $474.99

3. LG 27UD68 IPS LED 4K - AMD FreeSync - 5MS response - 60Hz

is there any advantages between going 24 vs 27 inch at 1440p?

i own the newest nvidia card so the third option doesn't really suit me but 4K is tempting.

which should i choose? the sales are ending soon so i really need some help here.

Bloodember

Amazon accepts returns until Jan so give it a try and some credit cards provide an additional year of warranty coverage.

i myself have come down to 3 options

both are the same models - TN panels at 1440P with G-Sysnc - 1MS response - 165Hz

1. Dell S2417DG - $341.99

2. Dell S2716DG - $474.99

3. LG 27UD68 IPS LED 4K - AMD FreeSync - 5MS response - 60Hz

is there any advantages between going 24 vs 27 inch at 1440p?

i own the newest nvidia card so the third option doesn't really suit me but 4K is tempting.

which should i choose? the sales are ending soon so i really need some help here.
If you have a Nvidia card then get one of the Dell's. As for size, that's up to you. Personally I'd never go with anything smaller than 27".

Hi Friends,

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XLqYQV

That's what I got. Probably better off getting a raspberry pi or something though

everybodyman

Neo Member
Hi gaf, im looking to upgrade my pre-built PC with a zotac gtx 1050 ti mini. My pc dosent have a 6-pin connector so i want to know if the zotac 1050 ti requires a 6-pin or if i can just plug it in the graphics card slot. My current gpu is a gt 620.

desmax

Hi gaf, im looking to upgrade my pre-built PC with a zotac gtx 1050 ti mini. My pc dosent have a 6-pin connector so i want to know if the zotac 1050 ti requires a 6-pin or if i can just plug it in the graphics card slot. My current gpu is a gt 620.

The 1050 doesn't have it

tim.mbp

Ordered a little mini-itx PC. Upgrading from an Alienware Alpha and going to reuse it's SSD for now. Wanted something small and relatively quiet for my desktop.

i3-6100
MSI H110I Pro
EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
Crucial 8GB DDR4-2133
Silverstone Sugo SG13WB
Corsair CXM 450W
Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition

The PSU is really the only thing I'm not too sure about. It's semi-modular and only $36.97 though.

If you are in the US, B&H has the EVGA 1050 ti for $114.99 ($134.99 + $20 rebate). I just ordered one.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1292188-REG/evga_04g_p4_6251_kr_geforce_gtx_1050_ti.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom