• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamblades

Ordered a little mini-itx PC. Upgrading from an Alienware Alpha and going to reuse it's SSD for now. Wanted something small and relatively quiet for my desktop.

i3-6100
MSI H110I Pro
EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
Crucial 8GB DDR4-2133
Silverstone Sugo SG13WB
Corsair CXM 450W
Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition

The PSU is really the only thing I'm not too sure about. It's semi-modular and only $36.97 though.

If you are in the US, B&H has the EVGA 1050 ti for $114.99 ($134.99 + $20 rebate). I just ordered one.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1292188-REG/evga_04g_p4_6251_kr_geforce_gtx_1050_ti.html

450W is more than enough for what you got, and Corsair sources their PSUs from Seasonic and Channel Well like many of the other brands do. so you should be fine.

Bashtee

If someone is interested in "4K" and comes across a "good deal" for the Asus PA328Q: don't do it.

Mine has been replaced 2 times and the 3rd and final replacement is about to happen this week, too.
The first and second had an error where sporadically half of the screen would show pink artifacts or tear the screen for a couple of ms. This third one has such an insane backlight bleeding, that it's turning black into orange and if the PC shuts down or goes into standby, the backlight just keeps on shining.

I'm fully expecting the next one to have some issues as well, which will also be the last time I have to pack this shit up. This garbage monitor just displayed two vertical lines on the right side out of fucking nowhere. Pure garbage and my stupid ass paid 1349€.

bluestuff

So is the CPU performance gains of Kaby Lake worth waiting + spending the premium initial pricing. Or should I just jump on the black Friday goodness and get a I6700k combo now?

kuYuri

RE: Hyper 212 EVO

I'm no expert, but if your Hyper 212 is failing or making loud/weird noises, that's just bad luck, like with any other part. I've had a Hyper 212 in my gaming build for the past 2 and a half years almost and it's been working great. The stock fan that it comes with and everything.

I mean, sure there are better coolers, but the price to performance for it is still great imo.

With that said, I purchased a Cryorig H7 since the price was more or less in line with Hyper 212.

I just bought an i56600, Asus z170p mainboard, 16 gb ram, 480 gb ssd, be quiet pure power 9 supply, a be quiet shadow rock 2 cooler and want to build it in a corsair midi tower by atx.

Im thinking about getting a radeon 480 (also has civ 6 packaged).

First i wanted to get a 6600k, but im a pc tech noob and i dont plan to overclock my cpu.

I think ill be fine for the next few years.

Mozendo

I just bought an i56600, Asus z170p mainboard, 16 gb ram, 480 gb ssd, be quiet pure power 9 supply, a be quiet shadow rock 2 cooler and want to build it in a corsair midi tower by atx.

Im thinking about getting a radeon 480 (also has civ 6 packaged).

First i wanted to get a 6600k, but im a pc tech noob and i dont plan to overclock my cpu.

I think ill be fine for the next few years.

If you're not going to overclock the stock cooler is fine and you won't need a Z170.

zoozilla

So I've got enough saved up now that I feel okay with building a new rig. This is what I've set on, it's pretty much locked in but if anyone sees anything egregious I'd gladly accept feedback.

Note I am buying pretty much everything from Amazon JP.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($214.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($43.53 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus Z170M-PLUS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory
Storage: Samsung 750 Evo 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($143.12 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB AMP! Edition Video Card ($279.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 88R MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($63.12 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Cooler Master 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($131.49 @ Amazon)
Total: $876.24
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-28 06:16 EST-0500

I'm going to be paying more like 110,000 yen (~1,000 USD), but I actually thought I might have to pay more.

ParityBit

Yeah, I don't know that I'd pay $470 for it though.

I thought I saw B&H had it for $419, but that was the gaming X model. Same card basically, just lower stock OC:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/co...REG&ap=y&c3api=1876,52934714882,&A=details&Q=

Newegg/amazon has the ROG Strix for $429 which would be my second choice in the factory OC department probably. EVGA has a bunch of options as well, since I think they've resolved the whole mosfet-gate thing, but some other may have better information there. I've mostly used MSI and XFX stuff for the past several years, and the one piece of PC hardware I've had completely die on me within it's useful life was an EVGA 670.

ETA: newegg had the gaming Z for 419 after rebate, but it's sold out:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127959

I do not mind paying a little extra if I am getting something worth it. Maybe I will pick up that 1070 even if it is a few bucks extra. I am itching to upgrade from my 680's. Heh

iamblades

So I've got enough saved up now that I feel okay with building a new rig. This is what I've set on, it's pretty much locked in but if anyone sees anything egregious I'd gladly accept feedback.

Note I am buying pretty much everything from Amazon JP.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($214.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($43.53 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus Z170M-PLUS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory
Storage: Samsung 750 Evo 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($143.12 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB AMP! Edition Video Card ($279.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 88R MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($63.12 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Cooler Master 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($131.49 @ Amazon)
Total: $876.24
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-28 06:16 EST-0500

I'm going to be paying more like 110,000 yen (~1,000 USD), but I actually thought I might have to pay more.

Switch out the 750 evo for the 850. 850 evo 500 GB is on sale for 129.99 basically everywhere(should be similarly priced in Japan), and it's a much faster drive.

I'd also switch out the case for an Nzxt s340, but that's personal preference.

What motherboard and RAM do you guys recommend to go with the i7 6700K processor? I always tend to aim for higher specs unless the money/performance ratio is so bad it doesn't make sense.

ParityBit

Do you think Amazon would price match the price on Newegg for the GeForce GTX 1070 GAMING Z 8G, even if it sold out?

I would love to get it from Newegg, especially with the rebate!

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Sounds like you need a skull canyon nuc, assuming that's actually all you want to do and you really want tiny:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G105ZbHL2l0

You could build a hell of an itx machine for the price though.

ETA: lol nm I just saw your budget. getting sleepy.

I stick with my ultra tiny theme though:

http://www.asrock.com/nettop/intel/deskmini 110 Series/#Options

Hi Friends,

I want a tiny windows PC. Uses are: Emulation box and arcade box for steam games (Specifically Spelunky and the degica shmups)

Your Current Specs: No Idea
Budget: Canada, a few hundred? (200 to 300)
Main Use: 3? See above
Monitor Resolution: 1080p
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Just Spelunky and arcade games on steam. Mushihimesama, etc. n64 emulation too.
Looking to reuse any parts?: No
When will you build?: Now Do you have a deadline? No
Will you be overclocking?: Yes, No, Maybe (This means yes!) Maybe

Willing to just buy a miniPC if it can do this but I can't find a nice option. Is the mini itx route better you think? Please help

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XLqYQV

That's what I got. Probably better off getting a raspberry pi or something though

Pi won't play my steam games. Do any of you think a mini pc will play what I need without issue? Only uses will be spelunky and shmups like dodonpachi rebirth and crimson clover.

Can a Minix 84 or azule quantum byte do that?

derder

I ordered the NZXT S340 Elite Case and am looking at AIO CPU Watercoolers. My long search has brought me to the following options:

1. EKWB EK-XLC 240mm Predator for $165
1. NZXT Kraken X52 for $150
1. NZXT Kraken X62 for $160 (Out of Stock)
1. NZXT Kraken X61 for $114
1. Corsair H100i v2 for $90

This is the only head-to-head I could find. It seems like the EKWB Predator is the highest performing and the Kraken X52 is the best looking. Am I missing any other options? What would you recommend?

iamblades

I ordered the NZXT S340 Elite Case and am looking at AIO CPU Watercoolers. My long search has brought me to the following options:

This is the only head-to-head I could find. It seems like the EKWB Predator is the highest performing and the Kraken X52 is the best looking. Am I missing any other options? What would you recommend?

The performance bump of the 280s (corsair h115i or kraken x62) is worth the extra $10 or so whether you go corsair or Nzxt.

The Nzxt you are paying a lot of extra money for the looks(since they are really the same asetek cooler underneath), but it does look way better.

Mozendo

What motherboard and RAM do you guys recommend to go with the i7 6700K processor? I always tend to aim for higher specs unless the money/performance ratio is so bad it doesn't make sense.

Go with whatever you like. Honestly once you start going into the $120+ MoBos (not counting sales and MIR) they're pretty much the same from a general consumer standpoint.

I'm a fan of ASRock Motherboards, Gigabyte and Asus also make quality MoBos.
The Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Ultra Gaming and the ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Professional Gaming i7 which is ASRock's Z170 flagship are on pretty nice discounts and my friends have had no issue with them whatsoever.

I find that most RAM brands offer a lifetime warranty, at least the ones I've trust for example.Skill, Crucial, Avexir, Corsair all do. Honestly just get whatever you can with the highest speed at your budget that matches your computers color scheme if you care about that.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
For those of you who are good at this stuff, who wants to help build me a media server for my Plex? I have the HDD already. I just need help picking out the rest of the shit. There's a bunch of sales and deals right now, so it's just a matter of navigating what's available. I obviously don't need it to run anything outside of Windows and Plex as that's all it would be for. Anyone want to help me out?

E: Here's a quick thing I did. I'm using it solely for a Plex server that I can leave on 24/7. Any issues or changes to be made to this? The HDD will actually be 2 of the ones I have picked out.

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor ($66.49 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H-A Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($45.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: ADATA XPG V1.0 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($49.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($87.89 @ OutletPC)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CSM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $320.22
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-28 11:49 EST-0500

iamblades

For those of you who are good at this stuff, who wants to help build me a media server for my Plex? I have the HDD already. I just need help picking out the rest of the shit. There's a bunch of sales and deals right now, so it's just a matter of navigating what's available. I obviously don't need it to run anything outside of Windows and Plex as that's all it would be for. Anyone want to help me out?

Lenovo think server ts140 is on sale for 199 on newegg with a dual core i3 or 299 with a quad core Xeon. I'd get the quad core if you need to do transcoding in Plex. I'd also save some money and skip the windows and run some *nix variant.

Might want to upgrade the memory in it though.

ETA: saw your edit... The Xeon in the Lenovo is over twice as fast as that dual core pentium. You probably aren't going to be able to build anything competitive. I would upgrade the memory with 8-16 GB of ecc though, especially is you use Windows.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Lenovo think server ts140 is on sale for 199 on newegg with a dual core i3 or 299 with a quad core Xeon. I'd get the quad core if you need to do transcoding in Plex. I'd also save some money and skip the windows and run some *nix variant.

Might want to upgrade the memory in it though.

So the Xeon with my bigger HDD will operate fine as a Plex server? I've never bought a prebuilt like that.

kuYuri

Would an EVGA 1050 Ti SC 4GB be good enough to run 1080p maxed out with physx?

Depends on the game and what the CPU it's combined with. An i5 or above and if it's the newer AAA game, yes it's possible assuming you aren't talking about maintaining 60fps.

derder

The performance bump of the 280s (corsair h115i or kraken x62) is worth the extra $10 or so whether you go corsair or Nzxt.

The Nzxt you are paying a lot of extra money for the looks(since they are really the same asetek cooler underneath), but it does look way better.

What are your thoughts on the EKWB Predator? It's supposed to be the best possible? The 280mm doesn't fit in the S340, however.

Mozendo

Would an EVGA 1050 Ti SC 4GB be good enough to run 1080p maxed out with physx?

As someone who has a Nvidia card PhysX in most games is terribly optimized and enabling it will be a huge performance hog. You shouldn't take PhysX into consideration at all, and if you can you should buy the RX 470, it's the better performing card.

faint.

Can anyone help me pick out an SSD for an XPS 13 (9360)? I spec'd it out with the 128 GB drive knowing that I planned on upgrading to a 960 EVO 512 GB (this thing is insanely fast) for $250 when it launches, but today's deals have me questioning myself.

Right now I can grab an 850 EVO 1TB for $250

Or I can grab an MX300 1TB for $250

I know both of these drives are significantly slower than the 960 EVO, but will I actually notice that in real world applications? I work in IT and would spin up an occasional VM from time to time (although I'm limited to 8 GB RAM since Dell doesn't sell their non-touch line with 16 GB RAM), so both speed and space have their pros and cons.

Alternatively, if someone knows of a better M.2 drive that might better bridge the gap here, please let me know! I'm hoping to make the decision today so that I don't miss out on one of the above deals if I decide to go with them.

chrislowe

So is the CPU performance gains of Kaby Lake worth waiting + spending the premium initial pricing. Or should I just jump on the black Friday goodness and get a I6700k combo now?

Yes. There was a leaked benchmark from the i3 kaby lake that showed the same quadcore performance as todays i5 6400 skylake, but way better single core performance.
So the i5 and i7 of kaby lake will probably be very fast =)

Foxyone

Is a $170 single fan RX 470 the best bang per buck GPU to buy at the moment? Alright for an i5 4440? It's probably either that or a $200 Gtx 1060 (with hopefully $30 MIR), because I feel like games I play (WoW, Skyrim, and older games) seem to prefer Nvidia.

I've been really interested in making turning my build into small form factor gaming rig. I was hoping it would be as easy as swapping the MB to an ITX model, however, apparently finding these with a 1155 socket is almost impossible.

I've currently got a i7-3770, and I'm not really sure if an upgrade would be worth it. Seeing a lot of the newer chips around the same clock speed is throwing me off. What is the advantage?

Anyone have any advice?

LilJoka

I've been really interested in making turning my build into small form factor gaming rig. I was hoping it would be as easy as swapping the MB to an ITX model, however, apparently finding these with a 1155 socket is almost impossible.

I've currently got a i7-3770, and I'm not really sure if an upgrade would be worth it. Seeing a lot of the newer chips around the same clock speed is throwing me off. What is the advantage?

Anyone have any advice?

New CPUs are faster per clock.
But only about 10-15% faster than ivy bridge depending on the scenario.
An overclocked 3770 can beat or match a 6700.

ParityBit

I went ahead and picked up the MSI GeForce GTX 1070 GAMING Z 8G.

Do I get anything free with it? (Code in the box or something?)

I hope it is a lot better than my 2x860's!

rtcn63

I know both of these drives are significantly slower than the 960 EVO, but will I actually notice that in real world applications? I work in IT and would spin up an occasional VM from time to time (although I'm limited to 8 GB RAM since Dell doesn't sell their non-touch line with 16 GB RAM), so both speed and space have their pros and cons.

From what I've read, unless you're editing 4/8K video for work or something as equally as intensive, the premium may not be worth it.

From Guru3D's 960 EVO review: http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/samsung_960_evo_m_2_1tb_nvme_ssd_review,20.html

At close to 1 and in certain conditions even 2 GB/s writes per seconds it is still four times as fast as any SATA3, while topping 3 GB/s reads here and there and thus more than quadrupling that number compared to a SATA3 SSD. Things remain relative though, your PC is working at a certain speed due to your processor and memory. So the question rises, would you ever notice any difference in-between a 950 series product or a 960 Pro or Evo? We doubt that very much. The difference over a SATA3 SSD however is certainly noticeable, but again something relative as experience as a regular SSD already does workloads in split second timings. Much like we concluded in the 960 Pro review, for the Evo it's all the same there is more to it than just performance though, this EVO model is offered at proper endurance numbers, 400 TB written is guaranteed for the tested 1TB model and combined with a 3 year warranty that should bring a smile to your face. 400 TB I mean .. if you write say 20 GB a day / 365 days a year that would be 7.3 TB per year. So that's over 50 years of lifespan, easily.

From Ars' 960 PRO review: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016...eview-the-fastest-consumer-ssd-you-can-buy/3/

But the performance of the 960 Pro just isn't felt in the vast majority of normal computing situations. Existing SSD drives already boot Windows, load games, and perform the background data movements required for all manner of other intense processing so fast that more often than not they're not the bottleneck. Combined with the high price of entry— thanks in part to 512GB being the minimum capacity—and you have a situation where the 960 Pro goes beyond being an aspirational product for normal consumers. It's like aspiring to buy an Nvidia Quadro card to play games: it just doesn't make sense.

For those that don’t have money to burn and don't explicitly need the performance these drives provide—i.e. anyone that isn’t using these drives for hugely intensive and critical workloads like 4K or 8K video editing—then it's worth thinking about cheaper alternatives. There are drives from likes of OCZ and Kingston that offer great performance for less cash, and of course there's Samsung's own upcoming Evo drive.
Further Reading
How to upgrade your MacBook storage with an OWC Aura SSD (with caveats)

While the Evo will suffer from slower sustained write speeds and feature only a three-year warranty, it still looks set to deliver much of the real-world performance of the Pro, and will be far more affordable. Were they not on the horizon, the 960 Pro would be a no-brainer recommendation for the performance conscious. As it stands, the 960 Pro is no-compromises, blazing fast SSD that, much like running four Titan X GPUs in SLI, is something for benchmarking nerds to marvel at, but isn't entirely necessary.

Megabat

Is a $170 single fan RX 470 the best bang per buck GPU to buy at the moment? Alright for an i5 4440? It's probably either that or a $200 Gtx 1060 (with hopefully $30 MIR), because I feel like games I play (WoW, Skyrim, and older games) seem to prefer Nvidia.

Might not be the absolute best, but pretty much. I would just get the 470 and avoid the hassle of rebate submission. Either card is already fast enough for those games, so you can afford to be vendor-agnostic.

Hesemonni

Banned
Dell Outlet US has some decent deals going on:

Processor: Intel Core 6th Generation i7-6700 Processor (Quad Core, up to 4.0 GHz, 8M Cache, 65W)
Windows 10 Home 64bit English
1 TB SATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
8GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2133MHz
Tray load DVD Drive (Reads and Writes to DVD/CD)
NVDIA GeForce GTX 1070 with 8GB GDDR5

$829

Here.

iamblades

What are your thoughts on the EKWB Predator? It's supposed to be the best possible? The 280mm doesn't fit in the S340, however.

The s340 elite certainly does support 280 mm rads in the front:

http://www.kitguru.net/components/cases/leo-waldock/nzxt-s340-elite-case-review/

WRT the predator, as some who just built a system with a ton of ek parts, I am certain it is the best 240 mm aio on the market, unfortunately it costs substantially more than 280 mm aio, which you can fit.

7roject28

The EK Predator won't fit the s340 Elite because of the extra io's compared to the regular s340. The io's sit lower because of the HDMI port. Then they added that metal bar under it to protect the io's.

Dumb question time:

So, I have a motherboard with 4 memory slots (dual channel) and I'm only using two of them currently (8 GB). I wanted to upgrade to 16 GB, but they don't sell the type of memory I have currently, and I've heard mixing memory is not a good idea. How far does that go?

I currently have two (2) Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz sticks in there, if I buy two Kingston Hyperx Fury 1600Mhz sticks, should I be good? I couldn't find a satisfactory answer online anywhere, really.

Also, are there any good deals on memory out there right now? lol

Megabat

Dumb question time:

So, I have a motherboard with 4 memory slots (dual channel) and I'm only using two of them currently (8 GB). I wanted to upgrade to 16 GB, but they don't sell the type of memory I have currently, and I've heard mixing memory is not a good idea. How far does that go?

I currently have two (2) Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz sticks in there, if I buy two Kingston Hyperx Fury 1600Mhz sticks, should I be good? I couldn't find a satisfactory answer online anywhere, really.

Also, are there any good deals on memory out there right now? lol

It's best not to mix memory kits. Why are you looking to upgrade? Unless you have a non-gaming reason, you should probably just leave it until you replace the CPU and motherboard.

Ludono

To those living in Germany / EU

Would there be any interest in buying parts from my old rig?

Includes

EVGA 670 FTW
Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 2400mhz (2x 4GB)
i5 2500K + Motherboard

-Deimos

I've searched for the cause of a small problem I'm having with my PC but I've come up with nothing, so maybe someone here can help.

Ever since I upgraded my GPU to a GTX 1060, my Windows 10 fast startup sometimes stops during the loading screen, hangs on a black screen for a couple of seconds and drops the video connection to my monitor. Then, the HDD light on my case stops flickering for a couple of seconds and my pc does a full restart (which takes forever on my HDD). I've tested it and it only happens during fast startups, manual restarts are fine. Since this only started happening after I upgraded my GPU, I tried re-seating it and doing a clean driver update with DDU from the earliest 10 series driver, which didn't work.

I upgraded my pc with an SSD a few days ago along with a fresh install of Windows and the latest Nvidia drivers. I also re-seated the GPU again, just to be safe. I still have my old HDD connected to store data, though, and didn't format it, but I made sure to disconnect it during the new windows install. For the first couple days I didn't notice any problems, but this morning it happened again. It's obviously not really a problem anymore since the SSD boot time is so fast, but I'd like to know what's causing this for sure.

At this point, I'm pretty sure it's the nvidia drivers especially since they've been garbage lately, but I can't be too sure and don't have my old GPU to rollback to. Has anyone encountered something like this before?

I've searched for the cause of a small problem I'm having with my PC but I've come up with nothing, so maybe someone here can help.

Ever since I upgraded my GPU to a GTX 1060, my Windows 10 fast startup sometimes stops during the loading screen, hangs on a black screen for a couple of seconds and drops the video connection to my monitor. Then, the HDD light on my case stops flickering for a couple of seconds and my pc does a full restart (which takes forever on my HDD). I've tested it and it only happens during fast startups, manual restarts are fine. Since this only started happening after I upgraded my GPU, I tried re-seating it and doing a clean driver update with DDU from the earliest 10 series driver, which didn't work.

I upgraded my pc with an SSD a few days ago along with a fresh install of Windows and the latest Nvidia drivers. I also re-seated the GPU again, just to be safe. I still have my old HDD connected to store data, though, and didn't format it, but I made sure to disconnect it during the new windows install. For the first couple days I didn't notice any problems, but this morning it happened again. It's obviously not really a problem anymore since the SSD boot time is so fast, but I'd like to know what's causing this for sure.

At this point, I'm pretty sure it's the nvidia drivers especially since they've been garbage lately, but I can't be too sure and don't have my old GPU to rollback to. Has anyone encountered something like this before?

Does it go away when you turn off fast boot?

I went ahead and picked up the MSI GeForce GTX 1070 GAMING Z 8G.

Do I get anything free with it? (Code in the box or something?)

I hope it is a lot better than my 2x860's!

Great card. Some retailers will clearly say if it come with a code but if it doesn't come with anything, check out MSI's website.

There was no retailer offer when I got my 1070 Armor OC but when I registered the card, the website had an offer for a free copy of Total War: Warhammer.

panty

Okay I'm baffled. I'll try to keep this short...

I just switched my htpc gpu to a new GTX 1050 a couple days ago. The htpc is connected to a 4K hdcp 2.2 Yamaha RX-V481 av receiver and then to a Philips 65PUS7601 4K tv.

At first the screen flickered a lot, going conpletely black and then back. I changed my settings to 4K@59hz and the flickering stopped almost completely. I'm using 8bit+RGB+Full from Nvidias control panel.

So just a few moments ago I was browsing the web, imgur and videos from youtube. Everything was working fine until I got to a normal post on imgur, a .png photo of some sorts. The screen started flickering like crazy and wouldn't stop. I went back to the previous page and it stopped completely. I went back and forth multiple posts, .jpg's .png's and gif and nothing, only that one exact post with a .png was flickering like hell. My friend and I have never seen anything like that.

What in the world could cause this?

This is the pic: http://imgur.com/gallery/427BD

Okay I'm baffled. I'll try to keep this short...

I just switched my htpc gpu to a new GTX 1050 a couple days ago. The htpc is connected to a 4K hdcp 2.2 Yamaha RX-V481 av receiver and then to a Philips 65PUS7601 4K tv.

At first the screen flickered a lot, going conpletely black and then back. I changed my settings to 4K@59hz and the flickering stopped almost completely. I'm using 8bit+RGB+Full from Nvidias control panel.

So just a few moments ago I was browsing the web, imgur and videos from youtube. Everything was working fine until I got to a normal post on imgur, a .png photo of some sorts. The screen started flickering like crazy and wouldn't stop. I went back to the previous page and it stopped completely. I went back and forth multiple posts, .jpg's .png's and gif and nothing, only that one exact post with a .png was flickering like hell. My friend and I have never seen anything like that.

What in the world could cause this?

This is the pic: http://imgur.com/gallery/427BD

Are you using chrome? If so update it. If not, try changing video card drivers.

It's best not to mix memory kits. Why are you looking to upgrade? Unless you have a non-gaming reason, you should probably just leave it until you replace the CPU and motherboard.

I do a lot of heavy duty Lightroom and Photoshop work + some home recording (music). The more memory available, the better.

So, I'm going to be stuck replacing my existing memory if I want to upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom