• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DataGhost

BTW Joco, a bit off-topic from that discussion, but let me know how it goes with the PG248Q if that is the one you bought.

The last monitor actually turned out to have a problem. It's not dead pixels but it's different brightness on the top and bottom half if I'm describing it right.

I might just keep exchanging till I get a good one since the ROG SWIFT should futureproof my first rig a bit.

Thanks, but taxes along with shipping costs kills the deal for me.

does that really have a major benefit on skylake? My roommate delidded his 4790k recently and was pretty happy with the results, so at least one of us has experience doing it.

I doubt I'll go for it myself, at least not right away.

10-20 degree Celsius drop at a given voltage. If you want to take advantage of that AIO cooler, just do it. Using the chip as is you'll get the same cooling results as with a much cheaper air cooler. Since Ivy Bridge the thermal material under the heatsink has been a thermal bottleneck.

I'm looking to get a new internal HDD mainly for storing music and movies with the possibility of doing game capture. I see that only WD Blues (and some Blacks) are recommended. Is WD still a significantly better brand than Seagate? It's much easier to find Seagate deals than WD.

Also looks like all WD Blues at higher capacities (above 1TB) are 5400rpm only. Is that to be expected at these higher capacities? I was thinking of a 3TB or 4TB drive.

panty

Anyone have any idea why my Nvidia Control Panel shows 1080p as my native res? I have my htpc plugged in to a native 4K tv, the Philips 65PUS7601?

nvdd8dlxv.png

Also when I'm viewing this: http://i.rtings.com/images/Chroma-444.png with 100% default zoom, I get this effect (4:2:2):

Enough said I'm returning this tv tomorrow. What a huge disappointment overall.

Are you using chrome? If so update it. If not, try changing video card drivers.

I have. Deleted everything and installed the newest (yesterday) drivers.

kuYuri

I'm looking to get a new internal HDD mainly for storing music and movies with the possibility of doing game capture. I see that only WD Blues (and some Blacks) are recommended. Is WD still a significantly better brand than Seagate? It's much easier to find Seagate deals than WD.

Also looks like all WD Blues at higher capacities (above 1TB) are 5400rpm only. Is that to be expected at these higher capacities? I was thinking of a 3TB or 4TB drive.

Seagates still have a bad reputation from years before, but I've had Seagates a number of years thus far and hasn't failed yet. I had two 500GBs for five years (2009-2014) with no issues and some higher capacity 2+TB ones for two years and no problems thus far with those either. But that's just me.

Best practice is to never rely on one drive for all your storage needs in case it fails and have at least two or three drives for backup and cloud storage to reinforce that.

If you want 2+TB 7200 RPM hard drives from WD, you have to go with WD Blacks over the other colors (Blue, Green, Red, Purple). Those are the only ones that are 7200 RPM. However, those are more expensive in comparison, but have a significantly longer warranty to compensate.

Joco

BTW Joco, a bit off-topic from that discussion, but let me know how it goes with the PG248Q if that is the one you bought.

The last monitor actually turned out to have a problem. It's not dead pixels but it's different brightness on the top and bottom half if I'm describing it right.

I might just keep exchanging till I get a good one since the ROG SWIFT should futureproof my first rig a bit.

Thanks, but taxes along with shipping costs kills the deal for me.

Yeah I'll definitely post an update once I get it. I chose the Best Buy in store pickup option so hopefully if I have problems I can just exchange it right away if they have more in stock. Crossing fingers that won't be necessary.

WhiteWolf

You want it to take air from the front of the case and shoot it rearward. There should be a fan at the back of the case taking interior air (behind the CPU cooler) and spitting it out the back.

There are different configs but I think this is a pretty standard one. You don't want the CPU cooler's airflow to be hitting the GPU (or drawing from there).
Ok thanks. Since I need to reorient it, do I need to reapply my arctic silver? It's been about 3-4 months since I put it together and want to make sure. If I need to reapply it, do I wipe away the old arctic silver with some rubbing alcohol or something to make sure there is no gunk before I reapply it?

Mozendo

Look into Toshiba hard drives, they're Hitachi/HGST drives just rebranded greatly priced.
You can get a Toshiba P300 3TB for $70 on newegg

What is the preferred controller for playing games on the PC? I have a 360 controller, but is there better now?

Dualshock 4 but some people prefer the XBox One controller.

Ok thanks. Since I need to reorient it, do I need to reapply my arctic silver? It's been about 3-4 months since I put it together and want to make sure. If I need to reapply it, do I wipe away the old arctic silver with some rubbing alcohol or something to make sure there is no gunk before I reapply it?

I would clean it off (like you said) and reapply it. Do you want to post a pic of the inside of your case? Might help a little just to see/confirm things.

Anyone have any idea why my Nvidia Control Panel shows 1080p as my native res? I have my htpc plugged in to a native 4K tv, the Philips 65PUS7601?

nvdd8dlxv.png

Also when I'm viewing this: http://i.rtings.com/images/Chroma-444.png with 100% default zoom, I get this effect (4:2:2):

Enough said I'm returning this tv tomorrow. What a huge disappointment overall.

I have. Deleted everything and installed the newest (yesterday) drivers.

Question: What HDMI cable are you using?

Its a bit of a long shot I realise, but it could be the cable's not capable enough for 4K.

Another thing I've seen mentions disabling 'overscan', whatever that is.

How is the MSI 1060 Armor OC 6GB? I can't find many reviews. I'd prefer an EVGA 1060, but the heat issues make the whole line too risky to mess with.

WhiteWolf

I would clean it off (like you said) and reapply it. Do you want to post a pic of the inside of your case? Might help a little just to see/confirm things.
EDIT: picture isn't working right now and I can't upload it correctly on my phone.

I have it so that the fan is pointed towards the top of the case (I got confused when mounting it). I need to rotate it 90 degrees clockwise so the fan faces the front of the case right?

Thanks for all the help so far!

EDIT: picture isn't working right now and I can't upload it correctly on my phone.

I have it so that the fan is pointed towards the top of the case (I got confused when mounting it). I need to rotate it 90 degrees clockwise so the fan faces the front of the case right?

Thanks for all the help so far!
Yup, that sounds right. What cooler is it by the way?

JBuccCP

I ordered this GTX 1070 for $379 but they only charged me $320 for it. Did I miss a promo or something?

edit: Nevermind, I guess they split it into 2 charges. 320 for the card and another 60 for the Watch Dogs

can anyone recommend me a PC from NCIXUS for general computer usage around $600 or so

I put together a list and then forgot that you said NCIXUS. Here's a starting point though, maybe someone else can help customize it for NCIXUS or you can work on it.

There are probably some better/cheaper choices for motherboard/case, which I'm sure someone else can help with.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($191.91 @ Jet)
Motherboard: MSI H110M Gaming Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($62.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($47.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX300 525GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($115.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case ($66.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($44.89 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($84.58 @ OutletPC)
Total: $615.32
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-29 18:48 EST-0500

By the way, building a PC is really not too hard. A lot of people do it here in the thread (and there are tutorials in the OP). Something to consider.

edit: you should probably get a smaller case anyway, as the motherboard is micro atx. Anyway, I'll leave that for someone else. :p

ParityBit

So I just received my SSD drive from NewEgg .... I assumed it would come wit mounting hardware. Is there a kit I can order from Amazon to mount it?

I am going to open my machine and check to make sure I do not have something built int, but I do not remember. It has been so long ....

rtcn63

So I just received my SSD drive from NewEgg .... I assumed it would come wit mounting hardware. Is there a kit I can order from Amazon to mount it?

I am going to open my machine and check to make sure I do not have something built int, but I do not remember. It has been so long ....

Just stick it in a drive cage slot. Or the case floor. I don't recall that regular vibration affects SSDs since there are no moving parts.

kuYuri

What case do you have?

I finally found out what was causing my PC from not booting. It was one of the PSU case fan wires being faulty. Changed the connectors and now everything turns on.

Now and new problem, there is a solid red light next to my DDR4. If I'm reading the manual right, only 16gb DDR4 Kingston Hyper Fury X are only compatible with Asus A170-A MOBO instead of the 2133MHZ 8gb DDR4? Can I buy another 8gb of ram to fix this problem?

Edit: My part number is HX421C14FBK2/8

iamblades

I finally found out what was causing my PC from not booting. It was one of the PSU case fan wires being faulty. Changed the connectors and now everything turns on.

Now and new problem, there is a solid red light next to my DDR4. If I'm reading the manual right, only 16gb DDR4 Kingston Hyper Fury X are only compatible with Asus A170-A MOBO instead of the 2133MHZ 8gb DDR4? Can I buy another 8gb of ram to fix this problem?

Which slot do you have the dimm in?

You have to populate slot A2 first. Odd that so many motherboard manufacturers use slot 2 as the primary slot, but whatever.

you probably want to get another stick anyway for dual channel, but there is no reason 2 sticks should work when one doesn't, assuming you are using the correct slot.

desmax

gaf, help.

I installed a new motherboard, but when I turn the pc on it stays on for a minute, then it shuts down, and then it boots up again. Also I'm not hearing any sound from the bios.

The first time I've turned it on, smoke came out from the frontal usb, so I am pretty worried.

All the led's turn on, and the cpu fan works too

iamblades

gaf, help.

I installed a new motherboard, but when I turn the pc on it stays on for a minute, then it shuts down, and then it boots up again. Also I'm not hearing any sound from the bios.

The first time I've turned it on, smoke came out from the frontal usb, so I am pretty worried.

All the led's turn on, and the cpu fan works too

Yeah, magic smoke sounds bad. Though the front USB seems an odd place to notice smoke. Open it up, inspect the motherboard for damage, unplug the front panel USB header and try again. Maybe you got lucky and just shorted out your front usb connector and didn't kill the motherboard.

desmax

Yeah, magic smoke sounds bad. Though the front USB seems an odd place to notice smoke. Open it up, inspect the motherboard for damage, unplug the front panel USB header and try again. Maybe you got lucky and just shorted out your front usb connector and didn't kill the motherboard.

I do notice some "white stains" on the m_bios and b_bios chips.

I'm gonna try to put the older pieces back on for now

Which slot do you have the dimm in?

You have to populate slot A2 first. Odd that so many motherboard manufacturers use slot 2 as the primary slot, but whatever.

you probably want to get another stick anyway for dual channel, but there is no reason 2 sticks should work when one doesn't, assuming you are using the correct slot.

Both sticks are on A2 and B2. It shows the 8gb Modules being compatible with the Motherboard on Kingston's site.

Edit: Ok I'm seeing a lot of post regarding the Asus Z170-A having bad DIMM slots. I fixed it by moving a stick from A2 to B1 and now both rams are being recognized.

ParityBit

Just stick it in a drive cage slot. Or the case floor. I don't recall that regular vibration affects SSDs since there are no moving parts.

What case do you have?

I have a https://www.nzxt.com/products/phantom-white

I actually just ripped it open and the drive fits in sideways. I had to track down a few cables, but it all hooked up! I did not partition the drive since I want to do a full install, but I wanted to make sure it worked. Windows says it is working fine (Yay!)

I am waiting for my new 1070 card and I will do it all then.

Man ..... so many dust bunnies. 7 fans (plus 2 more for the HC100) makes for a lot of dust! I will have to clean the whole thing when I rip out the crappy 680's

kuYuri

I have a https://www.nzxt.com/products/phantom-white

I actually just ripped it open and the drive fits in sideways. I had to track down a few cables, but it all hooked up! I did not partition the drive since I want to do a full install, but I wanted to make sure it worked. Windows says it is working fine (Yay!)

I am waiting for my new 1070 card and I will do it all then.

Man ..... so many dust bunnies. 7 fans (plus 2 more for the HC100) makes for a lot of dust! I will have to clean the whole thing when I rip out the crappy 680's

The hard drive mounting brackets in that Phantom case accepts SSDs. Do you see those 4 small holes on the bottom of the brackets? You can screw in the SSD with the appropriate screws in there.

Def Jukie

Looking to maybe upgrade my graphics card since a lot of newer games benefit from having more VRAM. Looking at going from a GTX 970 2GB to a 1070 8GB. Trying to get opinions on if I need to replace anything else that could create a bottleneck. I'd like to just buy a new card if possible and maybe another 8 GB of RAM if that is necessary. Any help is appreciated. Current specs are:

GTX 970 2GB
i5-3570K @ 3.4 stock
Gigabyte TZ77XE3 Motherboard
8 GB RAM DDR3
Crucial MX200 500 GB SSD
Corsair 650W Power Supply

BraXzy

I've just picked up a Dell XPS 8910 and got it all plugged in. I've realised though, that in its curret state, it has no optical port... My Astro A40's go through a mixamp which I connect via an optical cable.

What do I need to do to connect it and still get the SPDIF connection or whatever it's called?

This is the manual, ports shown on page 14: http://downloads.dell.com/manuals/a...op/xps-8910-desktop_reference guide_en-us.pdf

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another question regarding this PC. It came with a 460W PSU which seems pretty low to me. I'm guessing there's little, if no room for OC'ing the GPU (GTX 1080) or CPU (i7 6700K)?

ISee

Looking to maybe upgrade my graphics card since a lot of newer games benefit from having more VRAM. Looking at going from a GTX 970 2GB to a 1070 8GB. Trying to get opinions on if I need to replace anything else that could create a bottleneck. I'd like to just buy a new card if possible and maybe another 8 GB of RAM if that is necessary. Any help is appreciated. Current specs are:

GTX 970 2GB
i5-3570K @ 3.4 stock
Gigabyte TZ77XE3 Motherboard
8 GB RAM DDR3
Crucial MX200 500 GB SSD
Corsair 650W Power Supply

There are no 970s with 2gb. They all are 3.5+0.5. Are you talking about a 960?

A 1070 is about 50% faster then a 970. So that's a reasonable upgrade, if you ask me. But to be absolutely honest here, you will run into CPU bottlenecks with your current CPU. I switched from an overclocked 3570k to a skylake cpu this March and the difference was huge (gpu was a 980). It felt like a gpu upgrade especially in open world games like witcher 3, GTA 5 and JC3 (about +20-30fps). Newer games are also extremely cpu demanding like bf1 or watch dogs 2, my 6700k seems to have a lot to do there.

Long story short: you'll need a new cpu too. But it's not a good time to buy one now with zen and kabylake releasing in a couple of months. So don't invest in another 8gb of old ddr3 ram which you can't use in a new build. Get a 1070 now and reuse it once new amd and intel cpus come out in 2017. Also overclock your current i5. You paid the premium for a k model, use it.

ParityBit

..... Also overclock your current i5. You paid the premium for a k model, use it.

On this note, I have thought about overclocking my chip. I have a i7-3770K @ 3.5 and a H100. I just never actually tried. I suppose my CPU is still more than adequate? I also have 16GB of G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900)

You think it is worth trying to OC? I have never done it before.

LilJoka

On this note, I have thought about overclocking my chip. I have a i7-3770K @ 3.5 and a H100. I just never actually tried. I suppose my CPU is still more than adequate? I also have 16GB of G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900)

You think it is worth trying to OC? I have never done it before.

Very easy to OC this chip. Start at 1.2v vcore and crank the multiplier up. 40x multiplier will give 4Ghz.

Ganondolf

No ITX boards...

I have a back order on the ASUS Z170i. I'm thinking I should cancel it if new boards are being released in January.

But like you say the site does not have info on ITX boards but the Z170i seems hard to come by stock wise which makes me think that a replacement is on the way.

At this point do you guys think I should hold off and get the new board in January as the earliest I can complete my build (get all the parts) is late December (probably xmas week)?

Garuda1One

Am i reading this correctly ? is my GTX 1080 runing at PCIe x4, not x16 ?
Im using Maximus VII hero, and have set that slot to Gen 3..

26e.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom