• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I need advice from anyone who has worked at GameStop.

There is a GameStop going in near me and I'm thinking of applying, the only thing is I have a handicap called Arthrogryposis (see more here) The only thing that are effected are my hands. To be specific my left arm is bent strait down so I can't really use it, however my right arm is bent to the left, however I do have quite a bit more movement in the right hand and I can do things such as eat, pick up things, etc. So I was wondering if anyone who has worked there may have some idea to either:

1. If my handicap may decrease my chances significantly.
2. What type of work I could do.

I know being knowledgeable about games isn't enough to work at a VG place, but I am willing to do my best and I really am looking for a job; not that I need one, but just so I'll have something to do.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
There are high shelves in all stores, it sounds like your handicap would make it difficult for you to arrange/reach up to higher shelves.

Well if one arm works I'd say you're just as capable of working there as anyone. I think the only requirement that might be in jeopardy is that you need to be able to life 25-50 lbs. Not sure which. But yeah, you should be physically capable otherwise.

As far as getting in goes, have a very positive and outgoing personality. You've gotta imrpess them with your people skills. If you've been in the store a bunch of times with your eyes pointed to the floor and you mumble when they talk to you, forget it. But if you're one of those guys they know by name and you're always excited about games, you're odds are better. Just be well-groomed, don't swear, and act positively stoked about working there. And it helps a little to know your shit too. And don't display any preference tworad any one system. Keep your alliances secret. :)

That's the thing lifting anything heavy or high up is a problem. But surely someone has to do things such as keep a record of all the games/supplys that come in/out of the store, I could probably do something like that.

Nos_G

I go to an EB location where one of the clerks has deformity on his right hand making it unusable.

Your disability should not affect your chances on getting said job.

If you do get hired, they will probably just post you near the cash register, something that doesn't require much lifting.

You'll probably get hired as a game advisor. You have to operate the cash register, alphabetize the shelves, vacuum, and assist customers. The heaviest thing you'd have to lift is an X-Box.

As for high shelves, they should have a stool somewhere in the store. If not, you could probably bring one.

cvxfreak

I would personally hire you. I'm sure your handicap is not a big deal whatsoever when it comes to this line of work.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
A functioning brain is far more important to the (or any for tha matter) job.

Good luck. Your disability shouldn't affect your chances, and if it does then that sucks and the manager is a douche

With EOE, this shouldn't even be a problem for you but something tells me you won't get hired at small game shops because the duties are varying and no one specializes in any particular task. Not to mention, too many stores are run by tools. You're best bet would be to get a job at the larger stores like Best Buy or Target or somewhere else that has a "game department'. Your job would be most likely consist of just customer service and stocking of shelves, all of which are within your reach. I wish you the best of luck and hope this helps in your job hunting.

SpectreRT

go for it man, i know from experience its not hard labor or anything

the only thing u really couldent do is like, pick up shipments of xbox systems and reach the high shelves.

i think the only thing that both eb and gamestop care about is your ability to mention reservations and magazine subscriptions to everyone

Ecrofirt

This is not anyway anything negative, but just something I'm wondering.

Do you usue a regular keyboard, or are you on something special? I'd probably go crazy if I had to type one-handed on a regular keyboard.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
You should just apply and hope for the best.

Don't hold your breath unless you have some connection or good standing with the manager there.

Top Bottom