• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think the N64 is Nintendo's worst machine and era

lmao no it doesn't. I love my WiiU but the n64 had much better games. Not even up for debate really.

Well, that depends on what type of games you were into. If you even remotely like fighting games or RPG's which were both quite popular back in that era, the N64 was absolutely horrible.

Interfectum

I agree OP. N64 is basically what turned my young fanboy love away from Nintendo. N64 basically had Goldeneye inside the system for 95% of it's life.

Aters

Yes.

No Fire Emblem, no Pokemon, no Metroid, which means no 1st party game I care about. 3rd party? N64 didn't even have a single notable 3rd party game.

What? De blob and Boom Blox are great games.
They're alright. They're not arguments for why the Wii should be over any other system. Nobody looks at the Wii and thinks "Oh, the console that brought us De Blob". I owned both of these games because the Wii had no games and I didn't have a 360 yet when they came out, but I couldn't tell you anything about them even though I beat them both. Largely forgettable.

Yes.

No Fire Emblem, no Pokemon, no Metroid, which means no 1st party game I care about. 3rd party? N64 didn't even have a single notable 3rd party game.
It had the best console Pokémon games by faarrr dude

Randomizer

Lol come on, I really like the Wii U and it had some fantastic games but it's not even close. Worst of the era is debatable but I'd rank it higher than the Saturn personally. Whilst it's library is relatively small it is full of absolute classics.

Jubenhimer

They're alright. They're not arguments for why the Wii should be over any other system. Nobody looks at the Wii and thinks "Oh, the console that brought us De Blob". I owned both of these games because the Wii had no games and I didn't have a 360 yet when they came out, but I couldn't tell you anything about them even though I beat them both. Largely forgettable.
Maybe not, but they're still good games that deserve a look. If you want a better showcase for a reason to own a Wii outside of casual gaming, No More Heroes or Metroid Prime 3 would be better examples.

Doctre81

Well, that depends on what type of games you were into. If you even remotely like fighting games or RPG's which were both quite popular back in that era, the N64 was absolutely horrible.

I was and will also be into fighters so i see what you are saying but the n64 was still my system of choice.

Zimmy64

That is true and a good point but I don't see any metric that the vast majority will say that the wii u had a better lineup than the N64. It's simply not true plus with how revolutionary the games for the n64 were at the time really says something.

I won't disagree with that. I'll admit my tastes can be peculiar. At the same time we don't have clear criteria for what constitutes "Best" and "Worst" era. If most revolutionary = Best than I'd agree with the vast majority. However I think if the criteria is best overall library taking both quality and quantity into account I think you could get a plurality to agree that the N64 was Nintendo's worst machine.

Maybe not, but they're still good games that deserve a look. If you want a better showcase for a reason to own a Wii outside of casual gaming, No More Heroes or Metroid Prime 3 would be better examples.
I want to say that neither of those games is worth spending money on today unless you can get them for like $10 and have no backlog. And I mean even they're better than most of the stuff on your list. Like Elebits which was poorly received despite being a launch title (at least launch window).

I'd say Wii is worth having for Galaxies, Rhythm Heaven, Donkey Kong, Prime 3, Xenoblade, Punch Out, and Zack and Wiki. Outside of that? GameCube versions of games ported to the Wii are generally better, like TP Pikmin and Prime. That's basically it as far as the greats go.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
yup

what does anyone look fondly from that console other than mario galaxy and wii sports?

I think some people really have thick nostalgia glasses on when it comes to the Wii. Either that or they're young and the Wii was their first or second console.

If you look at Metacritic, outside of the Wii U, objectively Wii is the worst mainline Nintendo console ever.

Subjectively, it had garbage controls, garbage eye bleeding graphics in an HD era, and, outside of the Galaxies and Mario Kart, some of the worst Nintendo output ever, including some of the worst games of Nintendo franchises. Not to mention garbage tier Nintendo games like Wii Music.

Lothar

Banned
If anyone, anywhere is allowed to put Mario Kart 64 and/or Conker on a good games list in 2016, then they can have whatever they like on a Wii list.

If someone doesn't think Conker is a great game, they shouldn't be allowed to give their opinion on games.

Badmouthing Mario Kart 64 can be excused if they didn't have friends during the N64 era, but only in that case.

Yes.

The Wii U has had no Fire Emblem and no Metroid, and less notable 3rd party games than the N64.

And uh... The fuck? No Pokémon? Stadium 1 and 2? Snap? Pokémon Puzzle League? Hell, even Hey You, Pikachu!. Whatchu smoking bro? N64 was the best Nintendo home console by a huge margin when it comes to Pokémon games. Wii U just has Pokken and the garbage that was Rumble U.

Jubenhimer

I want to say that neither of those games is worth spending money on today unless you can get them for like $10 and have no backlog. And I mean even they're better than most of the stuff on your list. Like Elebits which was poorly received despite being a launch title (at least launch window).

I'd say Wii is worth having for Galaxies, Rhythm Heaven, Donkey Kong, Prime 3, Xenoblade, Punch Out, and Zack and Wiki. Outside of that? GameCube versions of games ported to the Wii are generally better, like TP Pikmin and Prime. That's basically it as far as the greats go.
Last I checked, Elebits has roughly a 74 on metacritic. Hardly call that poorly received. Regardless of your opinion though, the games I listed are generally considered worth looking at or owning.

Last I checked, Elebits has roughly a 74 on metacritic. Hardly call that poorly received. Regardless of your opinion though, the games I listed are generally considered worth looking at or owning.
No, that's super poorly received, especially for a launch title game with very low expectations. Elebits is pretty representative of how mediocre the Wii era was, that's the only reason I ever think about it.

breakfuss

I mean, idk how you can even begin to form that opinion when we have Mario 64, OoT, Goldeneye, Smash Brothers, Banjo Kazooie... theses games defined fucking genres. Haptic feedback? Analog control. Things we take for granted in the console space. Give me a break OP. Sure, graphics from this gen have aged terribly but still. You must be 12 or something.

Nothing to be sorry about OP, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

That doesn't exempt this terrible ass opinion from ridicule.

Jubenhimer

I think some people really have thick nostalgia glasses on when it comes to the Wii. Either that or they're young and the Wii was their first or second console.

If you look at Metacritic, outside of the Wii U, objectively Wii is the worst mainline Nintendo console ever.

Subjectively, it had garbage controls, garbage eye bleeding graphics in an HD era, and, outside of the Galaxies and Mario Kart, some of the worst Nintendo output ever, including some of the worst games of Nintendo franchises. Not to mention garbage tier Nintendo games like Wii Music.
The Wii had a lot of underrated and over-looked gems under it's belt, and far from the worst output of a Nintendo console. Ever tried Xenoblade or Rhythm Heaven. And The controls were fine when games used them properly, as they say, don't blame the tool blame the person using it. I'd agree on lack of HD though, but only because HD grew much quicker than anticipated.

The Wii had a lot of underrated and over-looked gems under it's belt, and far from the worst output of a Nintendo console. Ever tried Xenoblade or Rhythm Heaven. And The controls were fine when games used them properly, as they say, don't blame the tool blame the person using it. I'd agree on lack of HD though, but only because HD grew much quicker than anticipated.
Xenoblade and Rhythm Heaven are in the very short (not a lot) list of Wii games that people remember well. This is like saying "Ever heard of Mario Galaxy? Metroid Prime 3? Donkey Kong Country Returns anyone?"

Hatty

I find it hard to go back and play N64 games. I'd much rather play Wind Waker, Mario Galaxy 2, Thousand Year Door, or many other classic Nintendo games released before and after the N64. It's certainly the system that has aged the worst, even it's competitor the PS1 aged more gracefully.

Jubenhimer

No, that's super poorly received, especially for a launch title game with very low expectations. Elebits is pretty representative of how mediocre the Wii era was, that's the only reason I ever think about it.
That's not super poorly received. Super poorly received would be a 51 or 40, basically Sonic 06' levels of reception. 74 is not a bad score, and it's a shame that people think only games with a high 80 or 90+ on metacritic is worth buying.

I don't mind the graphics, but the library was indeed pretty shitty overall, especially compared to it's main competitor the Playstation and it is really hideous with a goofy controller. We still got some all time classics out of it, but that wasn't enough to make it a great system overall. One of Nintendo's worst is a fair thing to say.

Synth

If someone doesn't think Conker is a great game, they shouldn't be allowed to give their opinion on games.

Badmouthing Mario Kart 64 can be excused if they didn't have friends during the N64 era, but only in that case.

Nah, those are games that wear the year they were created on their sleeve. MK64 whilst being a pretty awful racer can kinda get a pass just for being so horrifically flawed that it can end up being hilarious. Conker on the other hand is just plain dire as a game, and not just a collection of jokes.

In regards to what Titanoboa says about games not being worth spending money on today... I'd actually argue that this is very much the case with even much of the Nintendo 64's more prominent titles. Stuff like Mario 64 is still great, but some of the others whilst they were pretty amazing at the time, have aged terribly. Playing GoldenEye multiplayer today is awful, and not something I'd subject anyone without a massive amount of nostalgia to (and even then I'd advise them not to ruin their nostalgia). Jet Force Gemini is a worse game than pretty much any random TPS lining the shelves today. Killer Instinct Gold wasn't even good back then relative to 2D fighters on Saturn and PlayStation, let alone today.

Xilo

I couldn't disagree more. A few examples of why the N64 is one of Nintendo's best consoles: Mario 64 is the best 3D mario game. WWF No Mercy is the best Wrestling game still to this day. Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask are two of the best Zelda games. The Banjo Kazooie games are 2 of the best platformers. Goldeneye and perfect dark are absolute classic console shooters and are still a ton of fun with a group of friends. Mario Kart 64 is one of the best Mario kart games. The list goes on and on. N64 was amazing.

Hatty

Hot take:

The Virtual Boy has more good first-party games than the Gamecube.

Fuck the Gamecube. That's the real worst machine Nintendo's ever put out.

It can't be the worst when it had games of the generation Metroid Prime, Pikmin 2, and Paper Mario: TTYD on it. Not to mention Wind Waker which is arguably better than Ocarina of Time

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Yeah, I pretty much agree. Nintendo's worst system by far.

Ric Flair

Banned
If you don't have any friends to play with it maybe wasn't a great console; however WWF No Mercy, WCW/NWO Revenge, Madden 96, Mario 64, Road Rash 64, Mario Party, that one tank game, Pokémon Snap, Pokémon Stadium, Wave Race 64, Pilot Wings 64, Duke Nuremberg 64, fucking the best version of Doom in Doom 64, Resident Evil 2, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark...All these games begin to differ. It was a great fucking system.

Well I personally loved the N64. Yeah, it may have lacked RPGs but I didn't know what an RPG was at the time (unless Zelda counts).

Mario 64 blew my mind though. I'm not sure I've ever gotten so much entertainment out of a single player game since. It was in a league of its own at the time in my opinion.

And you didn't even mention Goldeneye or Mario Kart 64. They were both fucking gems and combined made the system worth a purchase. No telling how much time I wasted with friends on these titles.

That's not super poorly received. Super poorly received would be a 51 or 40, basically Sonic 06' levels of reception. 74 is not a bad score, and it's a shame that people think only games with a high 80 or 90+ on metacritic is worth buying.
So you're saying it's not as bad as Sonic 06, and therefore deserves a place on the list of best Wii games. I mean sure, but that's not exactly a compliment to the Wii.

Hot take:

Metroid Prime alone is better than every single virtual boy game, and there's two of them.

The Wii was tiny, compact, had excellent controllers, Gamecube support, three Mario platformers, two Zelda games, two Metroid games, two Kirby games, Donkey Kong Country Returns, the better Mario Kart, the better Smash Bros, one of the best RPGs ever, and the ability to play a backlog of Nintendo games including the best of the N64's library and yet people are saying the N64 is better?

Honestly yeah.the Wii was pretty great imo; it was clearly the product of a very confident, comfortable, competent, and focused Nintendo.
I'd personally take it over the N64 any day, and that's keeping in mind that I've got a healthy amount of nostalgic fondness for that console.

As far as generation defining games, the Wii and Wii U had absolutely nothing...

How was that rock you were living under?

I don't agree. The Rare output alone is absolutely nuts when you consider what they created in such a short span of a few years. So many tremendous first party games with a quality (yet thin) layer of third party support. It was an amazing time to be a gamer back then with Nintendo.

It's got an extremely top heavy lineup. It's top 5-8 games are like 5-8 of my favorite games of all time, but there is just a huge drop off there. I held off as a Nintendo fanboy but after the delays and droughts I eventually had to get a PSone. I can't imagine someone being N64-only during those years. It was like a basketball team with 2-3 all time greats in their lineup but no depth.

Wehrwolf

Hot take:

F-Zero GX is enough for me to rank the Gamecube over the Virtual Boy. I still play it occasionally. Others like its Smash Brothers game a lot too (but I've never gotten into that series). While Mario Sunshine is weak compared to other Mario games, I'd still rank it above most of what's on the Virtual Boy. Wave Race also well.

But yeah, I sold my Gamecube ages ago, and just kept a few games to play on the Wii since its compatible.

Desperado

Mario 64
OoT
Majora's Mask
MK64
StarFox 64
Diddy Kong Racing
Goldeneye
Perfect Dark
Mario Party 2+3
Mario Tennis
Super Smash Bros.

I didn't need a 50+ game library... the amount of sheer fun I had playing these games (mostly with friends) is just absurd.

hughesta

Banned
As far as generation defining games, the Wii and Wii U had absolutely nothing, and the Gamecube had RE4, which was ported to the PS2 with extra content less than a year later.
what

the Galaxy games were absolutely generation defining. Gamecube had Wind Waker. Wii U may not have anything 'generation defining' but it has games like Bayo 2, Splatoon, and 3D World, which are all incredible.

Wii U doesn't have any shooters (besides Splatoon). What are you talking about?

N64 has Turok 1-3, Rage Wars, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, and ports of Doom, Duke Nukem, and Quake as FPS for examples. It also has some solid TPS and rail shooters, too.

You really have poor understanding of the N64's library going by your posts. I don't have a problem if you don't want to explore the library, but don't spew false information.

Couple things... Doom 64 is NOT a port but an original game.

Also, Wii U has more shooters than Splatoon.

Call of Duty Black Ops 2
Call of Duty Ghosts
Devils Third
Splinter Cell
Couple Hunting Games

Jubenhimer

So you're saying it's not as bad as Sonic 06, and therefore deserves a place on the list of best Wii games. I mean sure, but that's not exactly a compliment to the Wii.
The list I posted wasn't a list of the best Wii games, but simply a list of good games period. Elebits got a decent score, therefore, it's generally considered a decent game.

Lothars

The only reason why people prefer the N64 over the Wii is because of nostalgia.
Nope The Wii just isn't as memorable even with your list over the N64. The Wii isn't a bad system and has some great experiences but in a one on one comparision with the 64 loses pretty handily.

Top Bottom