• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I Visited India So You Don't Have To ( And offended 1 billion people ) (Youtube video)

SJRB

Gold Member

Incredible video about traveling around India. What a dreadful experience.

Saw this doing the rounds on social media because apparently this upset a lot of people, but I honestly don't know why. This guy travels all over the world to non-typical locations, I don't feel like he treated India more harshly than any other of his videos (he's British and he decimated some English towns a while back, for example).

Either way it's a very entertaining video.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I bet people in India care that they have to live in conditions like that.
Then they can deal with it. I'm pretty content with flying my helicopter from skyscraper penthouse to another penthouse.

But serious, yeah, they got issues. But all these massive asian countries with populations that would stagger the West need to institute reforms to manage their populations. Doesn't mean their cultural output is bad though.

Bojji

Then they can deal with it. I'm pretty content with flying my helicopter from skyscraper penthouse to another penthouse.

But serious, yeah, they got issues. But all these massive asian countries with populations that would stagger the West need to institute reforms to manage their populations. Doesn't mean their cultural output is bad though.

Culture is amazing (at least non Muslim part) and few thousands years of history.

What's funny is that looking at some charts (mostly economic ones) and videos from tourists havens many people probably think that India looks completely different than this.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
He does make it look somewhat worse than it would typically be for a western tourist by booking the lowest class of train, cheap local rooms, street food, etc. Low class in India is not meant for tourists. Bald shows the cheap and messy side of places everywhere he goes as part of his MO, though, so he’s not singling India out.

The video is, unfortunately, a horrifying level of grossness. Hopefully India can develop and prosper in the future.

Hookshot

Gold Member
(he's British and he decimated some English towns a while back, for example).
Some of the seaside towns to the north and east of here haven't had anyone give them any money in easily 40-50 years, they were getting shabby before the cheap flights sent everyone to holiday in Europe instead. The ones in the south west have the opposite problem, they are flush with cash from the rich making use of holiday homes in the summer months so the locals just rot for 10 months of the year or leave because the house prices are a 100 years work for them to afford.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
The boss is the one who put us on to Bald and Bankrupt's videos months ago with his very own post I've been hooked ever since and have discovered other world travelers.

I've gone deep deep down the rabbit hole.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

Incredible video about traveling around India. What a dreadful experience.

Saw this doing the rounds on social media because apparently this upset a lot of people, but I honestly don't know why. This guy travels all over the world to non-typical locations, I don't feel like he treated India more harshly than any other of his videos (he's British and he decimated some English towns a while back, for example).

Either way it's a very entertaining video.

I understand why people would be offended, it's never easy hearing people rip on your country.

But all things considered, I have no idea why your average teenage rich white girl is brainwashed into thinking it is like this utopia.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
The guy looks like a local British guy at a Wetherspoons but speaks the language (not sure which one as India has so many languages)

Also subbed to this channel. Looks like it has some good videos.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

I'm ethnically Indian, born in the UK and haven't been since I was a kid. The last time I went was when I was around 11 and I remember the city's were filled with poverty, beggars, squalor etc... Amongst that there were pockets of nice areas but the disparity is big and I would agree with his assessment that it's a failed state for the most part but there are a lot of humble, smart and kind people despite that. Many Indians have little and are grateful regardless.

I'm not sure why it's controversial to say it's a failed state. Acknlowedging it is what's needed to get enough people to do something about the level of corruption and incompetency that has stopped India from having it's China moment.

LE barely cracked 70 (although has gone up a lot) and is now on the way down.
BbYXFHU.png

On the other side, my grandparents are wealthy land owners in the villages and live a good life with much larger houses which are akin to palaces compared to the small/modest sized homes most people have in Europe. Given the size of the population and country it's a mixed bag and he could do a video showing the other side or mountains, forests etc... but I doubt he'll be going back!

Last edited:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Been watching him for years. Although it's been a very hot minute since I've watched his channel. His Russian and Indian content is pretty good imo.

I saw this thumbnail prolly when it dropped. But was kinda surprised by it's title seeing he has loads of vids on India. So I ignored it for the moment.

Edit: his South America and Amazon stuff is also pretty good.

Last edited:

Tams

I've been to India a few times (lived in a poor area for three months for one of those), and Nepal many times.

I know it's not a nice thing to say, but he's right. India has some amazing places and people, but so much of it is shit - quite literally even. When there are so many other places you could go... yeah.

Nepal is quite a bit better, but Kathmandu is still disgusting. I'm not sure I'll ever go back to be quite honest.

I would absolutely not recommend a female travels alone in India, or even in a group of two or three females.

Mattyp

Gold Member
I’ve visited 40 countries, India is a shithole in both senses and I would never ever take my partner there or kids.

I have no idea how it become famous with young travelers my age some insta pics? Was brainwashing of the highest order. You want those pictures go to Sri Lanka 10x safer, cleaner etc.

Last edited:
This is the guy that went to Afghanistan or some other shithole middle eastern country. Seen that video a while back. Fucking scary place too. Dude has some balls I'll give him that.

Last edited:

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President
I enjoyed some of his trips to old Sovjet regions but got tired of his same old approach

SJRB

Gold Member
I’ve visited 40 countries, India is a shithole in both senses and I would never ever take my partner there or kids.

I have no idea how it become famous with young travelers my age some insta pics? Was brainwashing of the highest order. You want those pictures go to Sri Lanka 10x safer, cleaner etc.

I’ve been to Sri Lanka, had a great time. Nice people, good food, only a few sketchy moments but overall a good experience.

PSlayer

He does make it look somewhat worse than it would typically be for a western tourist by booking the lowest class of train, cheap local rooms, street food, etc. Low class in India is not meant for tourists. Bald shows the cheap and messy side of places everywhere he goes as part of his MO, though, so he’s not singling India out.

The video is, unfortunately, a horrifying level of grossness. Hopefully India can develop and prosper in the future.

It's important to show the reality of third world countries that travel agencies won't show because a lot of white people,specially white women, think they are Julia Roberts in "Eat,Pray,Love" and that they will go to random places and be greeted by welcoming,wise,mystical foreigners that will teach them the hadouken or something.

India is a particular important place to talk about because it makes other 3rd world places look developed in comparison. There is really no reason to go there if you're a woman.

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Bald broke into a Russian military base during the war, that is rather crazy

That must have been when he broke into a Russian space center in Kazakhstan to get a look at the Soviet space shuttle Buran and got arrested by Russian military police. That was a great video.

His video about crossing the Darien gap, the landbridge route migrants take to get from South America to North America was another harrowing adventure.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
If you are offended by proxy by someone else’s opinions on a foreign country, the chances you haven’t been there yourself are through the roof.

I’ve been to India a couple of times. If I ever felt truly privileged in my life, it was there. But seeing the filth, the poverty, the customs, the social interactions, also made me appreciate how tough those people are compared to us. As is the case whenever you go to places that are far removed from our western civilizations, really.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
If you are offended by proxy by someone else’s opinions on a foreign country, the chances you haven’t been there yourself are through the roof.

I’ve been to India a couple of times. If I ever felt truly privileged in my life, it was there. But seeing the filth, the poverty, the customs, the social interactions, also made me appreciate how tough those people are compared to us. As is the case whenever you go to places that are far removed from our western civilizations, really.
I think the majority of people who were offended are actual Indians.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
First video I’ve rewatched of his. Something about his style is really off putting.
It's not a good Bald video. In this one he's clearly miserable the entire time and constantly trash talking the locals. Plus he doesn't actually see anything of note for the entire hour.

Misadventures are his thing, but usually with fun and charismatic banter, some interesting off-beat locations, and he keeps his spirits up.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
It's not a good Bald video. In this one he's clearly miserable the entire time and constantly trash talking the locals. Plus he doesn't actually see anything of note for the entire hour.

Misadventures are his thing, but usually with fun and charismatic banter, some interesting off-beat locations, and he keeps his spirits up.
I really enjoy his videos where he's visiting village бабушка and drinking with the locals.

natjjohn

Didn’t watch the video, but recently have gotten into Amazing Race and at least in earlier seasons where I’m watching, they frequent India frequently. It didn’t look so hot for vacationing from that. I’m sure there are tourist trap spots though

Bojji

why is it worse than any other type of prostitution?

If he was going to prostitutes there is no "taking advantage", it's just their work and he was giving money for the service.

Didn’t watch the video, but recently have gotten into Amazing Race and at least in earlier seasons where I’m watching, they frequent India frequently. It didn’t look so hot for vacationing from that. I’m sure there are tourist trap spots though

India is massive, there are tons of amazing places to visit and lots of beautiful nature. But for sure overcrowded, poorly designed cities aren't the best part of this country.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I've spent tons of time in India for work. I lived and worked in Hyderabad for nearly 6 months and made many two or three week trips. Went all over the country. There's amazing history and breathtaking beauty, but there's a lot of filth. The worst food poising I ever had was from a trip to India. I had to travel home with a parasitic infection and when I got off the plane after 30 hours of travel I went straight to the hospital for nearly a week. Just because the Westin hotel has bacon doesn't mean it's safe to eat. Stick to chicken and mutton. They know how to cook that.

Top Bottom