• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I want Jon Brion to compose the music for the next Zelda

olimario

Banned
I'm listening to the 'Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind Soundtrack' and I've found that Job Brion is a brilliant song writer.

A lot of his musical style would fit Zelda perfectly... Even better than most of the Wind Waker music fits Zelda. I think Nintendo should consider him of Koji Kondo, a guy who hasn't impressed me lately.

Anyone familiar with his work feel the same way?

SantaC

It wont happen. Koji Kondo isn't replaceble, but I agree that he needs to kick it up a notch again.

olimario

Banned
SantaCruZer said:
It wont happen. Koji Kondo isn't replaceble, but I agree that he needs to kick it up a notch again.

He should be replacable. The Wind Waker soundtrack, apart from a couple themes, was not good.

SantaC

olimario said:
He should be replacable. The Wind Waker soundtrack, apart from a couple themes, was not good.

Nintendo had 4 composers on wind waker. They should reduce it to two.

Metroid are able to continue the good tradition of kick ass music, so should zelda.

EDIT: I am listning to Forest temple, Gerudo valley and Termina field music. Zelda OoT and Zelda MM had fucking awesome music.

There is no excuse for Zelda to not sound as lush and symphonic as recent scores like Pirates of the Caribbean or Gladiator. I've heard the Zelda theme with a full orchestra and it is incredible.

olimario

Banned
Warm Machine said:
There is no excuse for Zelda to not sound as lush and symphonic as recent scores like Pirates of the Caribbean or Gladiator. I've heard the Zelda theme with a full orchestra and it is incredible.

That excuse is the real time music changes used in Wind Waker.

Speevy

Banned
Btw olimario, why are you suddenly so critical of Nintendo?

Is it because the company is having its best year yet with the Cube, or because you're just sick of some of their little "quirks"?

olimario

Banned
Speevy said:
Btw olimario, why are you suddenly so critical of Nintendo?

Is it because the company is having its best year yet with the Cube, or because you're just sick of some of their little "quirks"?

This was caused by my love for Jon Brion and my recent dislike for the Wind Waker soundtrack.
MP2:E isn't impressing, either.

I still love the Nintendo DS and I can't wait for Wario Ware DS!
See! I'm still pro Nintendo!

olimario said:

Not good enough. Instead of completely changing the track that is being played they can mess with it's levels. Push the bass up when something big is attacking, lower the volume when you are sneaking about, etc. Just like SSX does when you are fully boosted, in the air, or are moving through powder.

Mashing

It's very simple why the used midi in TWW... media size. I'm pretty certain that the size of orchestrated music in a Zelda game is prohibited because of all the content contained in a Zelda game. Nintendo using midi so they can dynamic music is a copout excuse for the lack of media size on the disk.

Btw, does anyone know if RE4 has fully orchestrated music?

cabel

olimario said:
I'm listening to the 'Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind Soundtrack' and I've found that Job Brion is a brilliant song writer.

Make sure to pick up the "I Heart Huckabees" score CD!

Incredible score that's been stuck in my head for days, as well as a few great new songs for good measure. A must for the discerning Jon Brion fan!

And yes, I actually agree with you -- it's time that game music tries out some new and unique styles. Where are the indie game developers, the Paul Thomas Andersons, to have the guts to make it happen?

Sander

Anyone have a link to that (fan made?) Zelda song hosted by Nintendo? It had a female singer and started with ocean sounds I think, can't remember muich of it. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Memles

My "Odd Soundtrack Choices" quota for the week has already been filled, sorry.

Jarvis Cocker doing the score for Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire...and Franz Ferdinand assisting.

So, sorry, can't think about any other crazy choices this week.

ferricide

cabel said:
And yes, I actually agree with you -- it's time that game music tries out some new and unique styles. Where are the indie game developers, the Paul Thomas Andersons, to have the guts to make it happen?
exactly. we can't have the interesting soundtracks till we have the interesting games. the fucking blaring horrible hollywood blockbuster-esque shit goes with the horrible, tacky hollywood blockbuster-esque games.

Koji Kondo is still a god. I've got a feeling his input on Wind Waker was minimal. He MAY have only been credited due to the LttP remixes/motifs, infact.

They definately need to do some orchestrated stuff though. The Smash Bros soundtrack is phenomenal, and even the latin-ized Donkey Konga tunes rock. Some tunes sound okay in MIDI -- the Wind Waker Staff Credits springs to mind actually...

If they insist on using MIDI, they should use better samples, or mix down the tracks using superior equipment, playing back the waveforms on the cube.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
olimario said:
I'm willing to make that sacrifice if the real time music changes remain.
There were few real time music changes in the windwaker, most of it was track fade ins with sound effect overlays for attacks. which could have been accomplished with orchestrated music. I wouldn't mind the midi as much if there was true dynamic musical elements as I have suggested before.

The midi violins in the zelda theme during the intro hurt my ears :(

el jacko

olimario said:
Still doesn't help Nintendo's case. All they need to do to fix that is up the sample quality the MIDI uses. MIDI is only as good as the sample being used; I have MP3s originally made using MIDI that sound as good as a real orchestra, while my Quicktime MIDI output sucks horribly.

And Kondo rocks. They need to put him back in charge of the Mario & Zelda series. Sunshine and WW only had about one good new track each and the rest was filler.

SantaC

Ford Prefect said:
KOJI KONDO FOR PR3Z

Really though, I'll be perfectly happy as long as they bring back Song of Storms.

loved that song. God, Zelda OoT was such a perfect game.

btw, who did the music for paper mario 2? I love the music beneath rogueport.

Socreges

Banned
As much as I like the music in Zelda games, I won't settle for anything less than orchestral in the next Zelda.

Well, I WILL, of course, but I won't be happy about it.

It would be very appropriate for them to take that step given the game's nature.

Just listening to the Eternal Sunshine soundtrack and I have to say this guy really knows how to write a score. Apparently he did Punch-Drunk Love, Magnolia and the upcoming I Heart Huckabees scores as well? He also produced one of the finest contemporary jazz piano albums in recent years (Brad Mehldau's Largo).

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
While I agree that Jon Brian is an incredible composer, I still feel that Koji Kondo should do a full-blown Zelda still.

ge-man

Koji himself isn't the problem (which makes since considering that the most of work was done the other three composers)--it's the way they create music that's the problem. They have the hardware to more experssive music, but they are still doing things in the same way as the SNES and N64. I thought there were some great compositions in Wind Waker (boss themes particularily), but the impact was dulled by using the most basic samples and what not.

beerbelly

Banned
All this talk of Zelda and no new footage of the game from Nintendo in the last 6 months. Someone should start a petition thread or a thread making a big deal of the lack of new Zelda info. I know this forum is read by Nintendo execs too so I think it could influence them to get their act together.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
olimario said:

That really IS an excuse...

The sample quality was simply very low and it is very possible to use interactive music and retain a high quality sound.

SantaC

beerbelly said:
All this talk of Zelda and no new footage of the game from Nintendo in the last 6 months. Someone should start a petition thread or a thread making a big deal of the lack of new Zelda info. I know this forum is read by Nintendo execs too so I think it could influence them to get their act together.

Agree, but Nintendo wont break any way news before E3. I think it's been officially stated.

Top Bottom