• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If Capcom made another Marvel vs Capcom, what do you want to see?

Mesoian

Another thing UMvC3 lost a bit from MvC2 was just the pure chaos of the game, it was modernized but like characters having supers where supporting characters came out like BB Hood's super or Sabretooth's super, that shit was bonkers. Bring more of the bonkers, I play fighting games for fun and I understand balance but the moment a Marvel game becomes balanced it's not really much fun. As long as every character is viable in someway, the game will be cool.

I don't understand how you can say that as none of the Marvel games were ever balanced.

Coda

I don't understand how you can say that as none of the Marvel games were ever balanced.

They were balanced to a degree but any pro player will tell you that there is only like 10 viable characters in a game like MvC2 and you're basically committing suicide if you choose other characters against a pro player who picks top tier characters. So yes MvC games are historically unbalanced, and that's a bad thing but it's also what makes the game in general so exciting and over the top.

Blues1990

I would actually want a Capcom VS. fighter, if I had the choice.

We are long overdue for a fighting game that contained a cast of the most well-known (and obscure) characters in Capcom's library of I.P.'s, & it will be grand for some of the more under-appreciated Capcom series to be given much needed exposure.

Bass.EXE VS. Bilstein? Asura VS. Ginzu the Ninja? Mai-Ling VS. Juri?! I can dig it.

Mesoian

They were balanced to a degree but any pro player will tell you that there is only like 10 viable characters in a game like MvC2 and you're basically committing suicide if you choose other characters against a pro player who picks top tier characters. So yes MvC games are historically unbalanced, and that's a bad thing but it's also what makes the game in general so exciting and over the top.

Ain't nothing exciting fighting nothing but Virgil/Zero/Doom.

Just as there ain't nothing exciting fighting nothing but Storm/Sent/Strider.

Watching a best to 15 of top players lobbying the strongest teams against another is fun to watch, but it's seriously boring to play against. And besides, people using non-traditional teams like PRrog's vanilla Tron/Dante/Wolverine is way more exciting to watch than yet another Pheonix battery team.

While other companies at least try to make it so all their characters can compete on the world's stage, Capcom, with marvel especially, don't seem to care, which leads to a lot of dumb bullshit that's more offputting to most players than it is inviting to the hardcore. Honestly, most of the changes made from Vanilla MvsC3 to Ultimate are just dumb, making top tier characters even better and leaving the other 40 characters in the dust.

And Tangentially, for putting out the most popular fighting game in north america, Capcom seems to take very little pride in Marvel on a whole.

I would like to see continued support in the form of patches and updates. Not going to stress about character selection since Capcom has shown they can choose and create an awesome roster from people I didn't even know I wanted.

Pretty much.

But also BoF Ryu, Nina, and Rei.

El Sloth

Banned
I want Capcom to tell Marvel to fuck off and make a 3v3 team based game with assists and the like with just Capcom characters that they have full and total control over. And no X-Factor. And no TACs.

Actually, how about forget the vs game and just make another Darkstalkers instead. Go get Ishiwatari and his team drunk and make them spill the details on how they got Xrd to look the way it does. Then do it for Darkstalkers.

Xfactor isn't really bad. People just hate it because the numbers on XF is bad. Without XF, marvel would be super boring to watch because you have almost zero chance of coming back.

inb4 somebody links justin vs yipes

Mesoian

I want Capcom to tell Marvel to fuck off and make a 3v3 team based game with assists and the like with just Capcom characters that they have full and total control over. And no X-Factor. And no TACs.

We'll still have TAC's, but I'd imagine this is exactly what we're going to get. I don't think Marvel has any long term ideas of what they want to do when it comes to video games. Disney in general is pretty shy when it comes to all of that stuff.

Actually, how about forget the vs game and just make another Darkstalkers instead. Go get Ishiwatari and his team drunk and make them spill the details on how they got Xrd to look the way it does. Then do it for Darkstalkers.

That would involve a risk. Capcom seems happier hiding under the bed.

Anyone looking for a Darkstalkers fix should just pick up Xrd when it comes out.

Coda

Xfactor isn't really bad. People just hate it because the numbers on XF is bad. Without XF, marvel would be super boring to watch because you have almost zero chance of coming back.

Yeah I wouldn't want X-Factor for any other game but it works in UMvC3. I also second the Darkstalkers sentiment, or at least give us a new and exciting fighting game that we weren't ever expecting.

Mesoian

Xfactor is for casual players. Considering half the cast has 1 touch kill combos, at high level play, xfactor is basically just a way to speed things along. Honestly, with some characters, why bother with xfactor when a 1.4m combo is easier to do with xfactor turned off?

That being said, I don't think xfactor should be removed, just toned down. What it does to certain characters like lvl3 Wesker or lvl3 Virgil is just badong.

As for what they should do visually with these games?

Make them look like this, and call it a day.

If you have to put Panty Raid on the backburner for your fighting games, fine. But this seems to be the solution to making extremely detailed models that look like pure artwork that doesn't fight with people's perception of what is or isn't 2D.

Alfredo

A full-on story mode like MK9's. I want elaborate fully voiced cutscenes and everything. I really just wanna see these characters interact with each other in meaningful ways outside of an intro CG and pre/post-fight banter.

Xfactor is for casual players. Considering half the cast has 1 touch kill combos, at high level play, xfactor is basically just a way to speed things along. Honestly, with some characters, why bother with xfactor when a 1.4m combo is easier to do with xfactor turned off?

That being said, I don't think xfactor should be removed, just toned down. What it does to certain characters like lvl3 Wesker or lvl3 Virgil is just badong.

As for what they should do visually with these games?

Make them look like this, and call it a day.

If you have to put Panty Raid on the backburner for your fighting games, fine. But this seems to be the solution to making extremely detailed models that look like pure artwork that doesn't fight with people's perception of what is or isn't 2D.

XF3 wesker? LOL Its not the damage that makes XF so good (but it helps), its the speed. XF3 vergil rapid slash is safe and I think its + in devil trigger.

XF speed and damage should be toned down but XF is needed to prevent getting happy bday and just going to the next match. Most character would not be able to fight a good point character + assist without an assist. I mostly like XF as a guard cancel/OMC type mechanic.

Mesoian

XF3 wesker? LOL Its not the damage that makes XF so good (but it helps), its the speed. XF3 vergil rapid slash is safe and I think its + in devil trigger.

XF3 Wesker without glasses. And you're right, it's the speed that makes it deadly, but it's no more dangerous than certain assists with overhead options. The mixup game in Marvel is so crazy that you don't really need xfactor to get that initial touch, it just makes it a more interesting guessing game. So don't get rid of it, just down it down. Honestly in a game like marvel, a damage boost is pretty meaningless considering.

XF speed and damage should be toned down but XF is needed to prevent getting happy bday and just going to the next match. Most character would not be able to fight a good point character + assist without an assist. I mostly like XF as a guard cancel/OMC type mechanic.

If we were going to get rid of Xfactor, I'd rather have it be replaced by a burst system. You still get to have all of the fun cancel options while not putting a dramatic emphesis on using it to save your bacon at the last minute, like some silly god option.

BoFIV_Fou-LuArtwork_2.png

BoFIII_Rei_Artwork.png

vg260

- Unlockables. Character art, themes, costumes, stages. NO DLC.
People want tons of costumes for comic characters, and costumes are an easy way to print money. They'd never pass up a DLC opportunity like this.

Issues with Marvel and it's licenses has soured me on the franchise. I say just make it a full Capcom roster.

Also this. The Marvel license makes it a one and done game, and this format needs balancing over long periods of time.

Marvel's both a blessing and a curse, and to me it ended up more of the latter. A lot of people came away frustrated overall.

MYE

New art style. The high-contrast, super saturated look of modern american comics doesn't look too hot overall IMO.

Tatsunoko VS Capcom had a much prettier look

Anbec7

I would actually like more a Capcom All stars with the Marvel type of gameplay.

I think that would be easier to approve due to Marvel licensing process and all that.

Jaeger

Hmmm, something I've contemplated for years.

- Totally mimic Guilty Gear Xrd's visuals. Those 3D models but damn they look like a hand drawn anime are incredible. This goes without saying, no reused assets from previous games. Ditching 2D sprites altogether fixes, that.

- Bring HER BACK, Capcom.
Ruby1.gif

Improve the UMVC3 engine. Go back to a proper 4-5 button, setup 2 Punches, 2 Kicks (some may disagree with me on this).

- Character choices; Power Stone Rep(s). At least 2.

I'll post a complete wishlist of characers, soon.

Years and years of getting used to that classic 3P/3K button layout for multiple characters in multiple series (SF, Vampire, and like I mentioned the Marvel series itself up to and including MvC1) led me to think about movesets, projectile speed, range, counters, etc, intuitively in that scheme. Just the same way that I intuitively think of KoF in that 2P/2K ABCD NeoGeo scheme or Tekken in that 2P/2K "left/right limb" scheme. You just get used to it after several games.

You're right though, there is no compelling argument other than "personal preference." Isn't that what this whole thread is about? :)

Neoxon

[QUOTE="D";101549558]Phoenix Wright is okay in his games, but for me I didn't care much for how Capcom made him in UMvC3. I understand he's a lawyer and non-fighter, but I just personally don't like him enough to be included in my list. I WILL say I forgot to add Frank West though[/QUOTE]
But he's one of Capcom's main characters right now, & one who's actually relevant at the moment. I say Wright deserves to stay.

You also have a severe lack of cosmic Marvel characters like Nova (Richard Rider), Rocket Raccoon, Star-Lord, etc. Those 3 especially deserve to be in the game.

Besides, Marvel focuses on characters who are relevant in their numerous forms of media, their movies especially.

They should add these to the existing roster

Sf
Uriel
Makoto
C. Viper
Gil

Megaman
Robotic wiky
A proper megaman not move oriented, but power switching oriented featuring 10 power with a unifiedd batter that is drained each type the power is used, and you have to combo to switch style/power

Darkstalkers
Delitti
Jedah
Donovan
Pyro
Bb hood
Rapitori

Breath of fire
Nina
Ryu
Bosch or rei

General
Firebrand

Marvel
Ultron
Nate gray
Psylocke
Loki
Omega red
Black panther
Ghost (dan)
Ghost(blaze)
Colossus
Iceman
Silver surfer
Carnage
Goblin (not hobgoblin)

And balance..
Well if they commit with a patch every two months they can keep the game balanced, although people are bound to find some better assist setup for guaranteed combo, but that's what having a tag-in system entails...

I want better netcode, spectator mode for lobbies, less emphasis on assists and maybe even make it a 2 on 2 game, like the older vs games were.
I actually wouldnt mind if it was ONLY a Marvel roster too. Capcom had some great characters in the MvC3 roster but I really dont like seeing the "kiddy" ones (Zero and Tron). They are just not my cup of tea.
On the Marvel side, I'd really want to see...

emma_newxmen.png

Emma Frost... in the above outfit :)
Sabretooth. My favorite Marvel villain.
Omega Red. Love his design and he was by faaaaaar the most fun character in MSHvsSF.
Venom. Again, I love his design, but everyone says he's impossible to put into 3D :/
Cable. Hyper Viper Beam.
Psylocke. Looks good. Moves fast.

This would be about the only way we'd see a new game with Mega Man in it... and that's not even a guarantee. At least Zero would be there.

A PC release would be pretty great, honestly. I'd say maybe giant characters but it may not be a wise decision to mess with that TvC idea.

As for some characters I'd like to see:
Felyne (Monster Hunter)
Tessa/Mai-Ling (Warzard)
Gotcha Force rep
Any Power Stone character
Fiona/Hewie (Haunting Ground)
Gene (God Hand)

Any member of the Runaways
Armor (X-Men)
Danger (X-Men)
Any Guardians of the Galaxy rep
Loki (Thor)

Evilisk

Honestly I'd be good with just character additions and fixing up the dumb health bars (seriously they're really really confusing)

-Gene, or Asura, or both

-Jedah or Baby Bonnie Hood (I'm leaning more to Jedah though since charge characters didn't seem to be so great in MVC3 unfortunately)

-Tessa to be added, Arthur and Dr. Strange to return for the sequel so I can rock TEAM MAGIC (Dr. Strange/Arthur/Tessa)

The Marvel side is probably going to be dictated by Marvel's marketing team again (if UMVC3's additions have shown) but I do think that at least 1 Spiderman villain, and maybe more heroes that aren't just white Caucasian males in costume would be a good way to start (Mrs. Marvel, Black Panther, Vision, just anything really)

Actually I think I'd be happy if they'd just made a Capcom vs. Capcom game. At least that game can get updated without worrying about licensing issues.

Oh and PC release. Just because I want to see all the modding would come out of it.

As much as I love the Marvel aspect of it, the game's longevity in regards to patching and updates would probably be more securely assured if it were a Capcom Vs. Capcom fighter, so I'd be fine with that. On the roster side of things, just give me some Breath of Fire (Rei, Fou-Lu or Nina would do) or Power Stone (Rouge would be great. Wang Tang would be the closest thing to getting Goku in a Capcom fighter, too) representation and I'd be satisfied.

One thing I do like about the Marvel side of (U)MvC3's roster is that there was a good balance of newcomers and veterans. The further from MvC2's clusterfuck of a roster, the better.

Blades64

Banned
Of all the Street Fighter characters I would like to see in MvC, the one I want the most is Juri by farrrrr. Her style was perfect for MvC3.

Oh, and I actually liked the 3D models on a 2D plane.

And a PC release.

Dr. Buni

3D modeled characters exactly like in Marvel vs Capcom 3 (fuck 2D sprites)

A great soundtrack, but this time not dubstep-ish, please? I liked the Marvel vs Capcom 3 soundtrack, but I don't want more "dubstep".

As far as the roster is concerned, just bring SonSon, Ruby Heart and Amingo back. Mega Man X deserves to be playable too. Also Juri and Hakan!

Edit: I'd be okay with a "Capcom vs Capcom" game instead. Don't give a rat ass about Marvel. lol

Evilisk

The deal must've happened just before Marvel got bought by Disney because they bought them around August '09 and a month prior MvC2 came out on XBLA/PSN and sold extremely well so they must've just missed the purchase with the deal.

Source for buy-out date.

After looking up into it myself (while I was waiting for your reply) I don't think that seems to be the case. MVC2 is definitely part of a deal made before the Disney buyout but this article makes it seem like MVC3 may not have been part of it.

Not releasing a new version 9 months later....
Yeah. I just want a complete game with no locked-on-disc characters that has appropriate online capacities in place before I decide to buy a CE that gets negated into worthlessness in less than 5 months before the announcement of a superior (read: Full Game) edition. So yeah. I probably won't be getting it.

Top Bottom