• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If Midway really wants to redeem itself in my eyes they will....

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
... release a new version of their arcade game, The Grid, for the PC, PS2, or Xbox and make it online. Any else get a chance to play this? It's basically a very arcadey death match game that's viewed in a third person perspective instead of a first person perspective. It had a lot of goofy characters, some unique weapons, tons of secrects (DA BOMB!!!!), etc. The premise of the game is that your character has entered a twisted gameshow where the ultimate prize is "What you get!".

We had this at my college and we used to play it for hours. I think this would make a great fun little online game. At one point they were planning to port it to the Dreamcast so it could be online but then Sega went third party so it was scrapped. They didn't bring it to the PS2 or Xbox because neither of them were online at the time. It sucks. This was actually one of their better games, IMO. Easily their best arcade game since MK3.

Some screens to jog some memories. The graphics obviously don't hold up very well for a console release but they are okay for the arcades.

thegrid_screen002.jpg

thegrid_screen003.jpg

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
ManDudeChild said:
Reminds me of Smash TV.

Yes, the setting was very similar to SmashTV but instead of pitting the contestants against wave after wave of bad guys the Grid pitted the contestants against each other.

The single player was pretty intense too. In each level you are given a time limit to rack up a set number of kills. Before each level starts the announcer will tell you something like "You've got one minute to get 12 points (kills)". It gets pretty tough towards the end but the game is beatable. There are a lot of levels (36 iirc).

I also forgot to mention that the game had a password system that you could use to save your stats, unlocked characters, money, and progress in the single player mode. Each player had their own 12 digit number pad that they could use to enter their password and unlock stuff. It was really cool actually.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
If Midway really wants to redeem itself in my eyes they will....

.... release a console version of Hyperdrive, or make a new one at least.

DCX

DCX
I used to OWN in this game!!! I loved it. It was great, probably introduced death-match gaming to the masses.

DCX

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
DCX said:
I used to OWN in this game!!! I loved it. It was great, probably introduced death-match gaming to the masses.

DCX

Finally someone who knows what I'm talking about. But to be honest I don't think it was that popular which is unfortunate because it DID rock. I think the cost of the game (each player had their own cabinet and they were all linked together) made it prohibitive for many arcades.

Some other things I loved about it:

The Controls: You used a trackball to turn and a flight stick to move and shoot.
The Characters: Each character had their own special move. Most of the time these were special attacks but there was one character in particular that was my favorite... Trixie. She could turn invisible and disappear off the radar screen. She was probably the best character in the game. Once people figured that out everyone started using her.

trixi.JPG

Anyanka

I want to play it because it was made by Ed Boon and the MK team and is like the only thing they've done besides MK. Plus it has 3 MK characters in it.

Ed's site used to hint that it was coming out for Xbox but it never came to pass....

DCX

DCX
I loved the weapons, the stage events, it was fast and played great. It looked like ass :p It was pure classic Midway gameplay though, they seem to make anything fun. An update would be great..." Da Bomb " :) memories.

DCX

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
DCX said:
I loved the weapons, the stage events, it was fast and played great. It looked like ass :p It was pure classic Midway gameplay though, they seem to make anything fun. An update would be great..." Da Bomb " :) memories.

DCX

Yeah and the announcer was great. I loved how he gave you a play by play. "So and so is super-charged". "So and so got 5 in a row".

DCX

DCX
JC10001 said:
Yeah and the announcer was great. I loved how he gave you a play by play. "So and so is super-charged". "So and so got 5 in a row".
Yeah...i forget my records, but i was number 1 in alot of the stat catagories. I did " beat" the game. What sucked at the arcade though was since i did good, some guys used to gang up on me all the time...the bastards! Gotta love when the time is running down, and you need three frags...4...3...2....1..."Da Bomb" DCX wins ;) Other players OWNED...bring it losers. BTW- The canon ball was one of the best weapons.

DCX

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
DCX said:
Yeah...i forget my records, but i was number 1 in alot of the stat catagories. I did " beat" the game. What sucked at the arcade though was since i did good, some guys used to gang up on me all the time...the bastards! Gotta love when the time is running down, and you need three frags...4...3...2....1..."Da Bomb" DCX wins ;) Other players OWNED...bring it losers. BTW- The canon ball was one of the best weapons.

DCX

I agree that the cannon ball was good but the rail gun is king.

JC10001 said:
Yes, the setting was very similar to SmashTV but instead of pitting the contestants against wave after wave of bad guys the Grid pitted the contestants against each other.

The single player was pretty intense too. In each level you are given a time limit to rack up a set number of kills. Before each level starts the announcer will tell you something like "You've got one minute to get 12 points (kills)". It gets pretty tough towards the end but the game is beatable. There are a lot of levels (36 iirc).

I also forgot to mention that the game had a password system that you could use to save your stats, unlocked characters, money, and progress in the single player mode. Each player had their own 12 digit number pad that they could use to enter their password and unlock stuff. It was really cool actually.

That has Xbox Live written all over it. Of course, I doubt any title would top an updated Xbox Live version of Smash TV :)

Wasn't this a NAOMI game? I remember that it was supposed to come out for the DC, but then it got canned and we all forgot about it. :(

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
6.8 said:
Wasn't this a NAOMI game? I remember that it was supposed to come out for the DC, but then it got canned and we all forgot about it. :(

I belive it ran on the same board as MK4, either that or an updated version of that board. It definitely wasn't a Naomi game.

DCX

DCX
6.8 said:
No way was it a NOAMI game!! If it was the devs sucked ass then becuase it looked like shit! lol I don't think Midway was a NOAMI dev anyway. I wish Midway still made arcade games, Blitz, Showtime, Grid, MK in thier heyday ruled arcades and rivaled Marvel VS Capcom and the racing games.

DCX

Anyanka

It was an updated version of the board MK4 ran on. MK4 ran on Zeus, Grid was Zeus II.

So was playing as Sub-Zero, Scorpion and Noob actually cool? Did they have like special moves? Could Sub like freeze someone in the middle of a game?

DCX

DCX
Anyanka said:
It was an updated version of the board MK4 ran on. MK4 ran on Zeus, Grid was Zeus II.

So was playing as Sub-Zero, Scorpion and Noob actually cool? Did they have like special moves? Could Sub like freeze someone in the middle of a game?
Funny as i don't recall if they had specific weapons or traits...gotta look that up, i didn't use them. LOL i do remember one funny weapon, the bull horn LOL awesome weapon in a crowd.

DCX

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
DCX said:
Funny as i don't recall if they had specific weapons or traits...gotta look that up, i didn't use them. LOL i do remember one funny weapon, the bull horn LOL awesome weapon in a crowd.

DCX

Oh Shit, yeah the bull horn was awesome. I've often thought about making that weapon for UT2004.

IIRC, Scorpion's special move was a fireball that instantly killed you and Subzero's was an ice ball that froze you to death and you exploded. Noob Saibot had a suction attack that sucked in all of the players surrounding him and when they hit him they exploded (very useful). And yeah, every character had their own special move.

DCX

DCX
JC10001 said:
Oh Shit, yeah the bull horn was awesome. I've often thought about making that weapon for UT2004.

IIRC, Scorpion's special move was a fireball that instantly killed you and Subzero's was an ice ball that froze you to death and you exploded. Noob Saibot had a suction attack that sucked in all of the players surrounding him and when they hit him they exploded (very useful). And yeah, every character had their own special move.
Oh...yeah! I remember the guy i used to use jumped on people's head to kill them.

DCX

Top Bottom