• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If Sony hadn't screwed up SOCOM could that have been their Call of Duty?

StueyDuck

I remember that SOCOM was pretty hot back in the day until that last one dropped on PS3. It was horrible. Now they are around here praying that MS doesn't buy Activision/Blizzard and steal COD. From my understanding the last SOCOM was not made the the developer who made the previous 2 right? I think if done right it could have been bigger for them or were they too focused on the single player experience to understand what they had?
Well they didn't really screw it up...

Someone attacked their psn network.

Even MAG was great, it was just a victim of its time.

They can easily bring the IP back. But it's a shame they closed down the studio

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Yeah, that's an oversimplification of the series. One is grounded, the other is high action they play dramatically different from each other. And speaking of "zombies", it's just TLOU.

But your earlier argument was SOCOM 2 and 3 were that radically different given they're both from the same series yet Uncharted/TLOU isn't?

Uncharted 3 - Releases Nov 2011
The Last of Us - Releases June 2013
Uncharted 4 - Releases May 2016

It looks like Naughty Dog didn't take a sharp turn from Uncharted. They spun up a 2nd team to work on TLoU. That's different than the swerve Zipper took with SOCOM 3.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Take a look at the revive project, you don't see too many players but they're there all you need is one good room.

Episode 8 Nbc GIF by America's Got Talent

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
If it was as popular as it was on PS2 it would been up there, but alas

For anyone on PC, the original Insurgency has a new third person mod with longer TTK that attempts to emulate SOCOM gameplay. I haven't tried it yet but it's pretty cool.

What's it called? I've played a few tps insurg mods but it never felt quite right.

I think the reality is S2 magic can never be recaptured. It wasn't great because of the mechanics. It was great because of the clan matches, the communities. Man it was a good time.

Antwix

I literally am dying for a tactical 3rd person shooter. I miss SOCOM more than any other series. I’m sick and tired of the fps, twitch ttk, keep respawning nonsense over and over.

The industry needs a new SOCOM.
Socom would be the only game that would make me buy a PS5. I must've put thousands of hours into that series. But I don't think I'd be as into it cuz the people I played with made it what it was.

Now that I think about it, are organized clans/clan matches even a thing in any game nowadays? Counterstrike and R6 are like the only games to kinda still have something like that still. And those seem only for people who wanna be "pro gamers". Everything nowadays is just boring matchmaking.

Last edited:
Now that I think about it, are organized clans/clan matches even a thing in any game nowadays? Counterstrike and R6 are like the only games to kinda still have something like that still. And those seem only for people who wanna be "pro gamers". Everything nowadays is just boring matchmaking.

Matchmaking pretty much killed all that. CS still has faceit tournaments you can enter with a 5 man and there are leagues but it's very competitive. In pretty much every normal shooter now its a thing of the past which is a shame.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I was never high on Socom. I preferred Killzone. And back in the day, I preferred the Tom Clancy games for my online gaming. Feels like ages ago. Now I only play Fortnite online. How times have changed. Maybe I’ll give CoD a shot again this fall, since it won’t cost anything extra out of my pocket.

Socom would be the only game that would make me buy a PS5. I must've put thousands of hours into that series. But I don't think I'd be as into it cuz the people I played with made it what it was.

This is a big question I would have. Is there a lobby system like old school SOCOM or would it be matchmaking hidden SBMM type doodoo?

Also how would MTX be handled, would they be cosmetic only or would there be P2W aspects like Last of Us.

Antwix

This is a big question I would have. Is there a lobby system like old school SOCOM or would it be matchmaking hidden SBMM type doodoo?

Also how would MTX be handled, would they be cosmetic only or would there be P2W aspects like Last of Us.
If a new SOCOM came out it would 100% be exclusive matchmaking. Whoever the dev is and sony would try to replicate CoD just like they tried with SOCOM 4. I imagine there would be absolutely nothing original in it. Just a straight dupe of CoD in 3rd person. P2W in a competitive shooter would be a death sentence.

I was never high on Socom. I preferred Killzone. And back in the day, I preferred the Tom Clancy games for my online gaming. Feels like ages ago. Now I only play Fortnite online. How times have changed. Maybe I’ll give CoD a shot again this fall, since it won’t cost anything extra out of my pocket.
Ha, I vaguely remember when Killzone 2 came out and everyone playing socom 2 at the time was like "f this, i'm switching to killzone". They were all back in like a month.

StueyDuck

Yeah Warhawk was great. Starhawk not so much.
Starhawk had promise, it's a shame they shat the SP bed because it would of made for a better campaign then MP.

Warhawk was vastly superior though, one of the few games I genuinely think of often and miss. Warhawk, timesplitters and motorstorm mostly

What's it called? I've played a few tps insurg mods but it never felt quite right.

I think the reality is S2 magic can never be recaptured. It wasn't great because of the mechanics. It was great because of the clan matches, the communities. Man it was a good time.
It's called the revolution mod I believe. I definitely want to try it at some point.

I wasn't really into war games when S2 was popular. I was a full blown sports games kid. But by the time Confrontation came around on PS3 I played that a decent amount.

The way to beat COD would be to have actual armies in there with the proper weapons, uniforms etc and name the countries. Shitloads of people would love. to play US v China or US v Russia (on both sides, let’s face it). Would be ballsy for anyone to try it though.

bumpkin

If SOCOM existed before COD did, I’d basically consider COD the NBA Jam version of SOCOM; faster, more bombastic, and really dumbed down.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
VR is in position to host a SOCOM, Firewall had it's moment with Socom and everyone looked to socom for the bundled headset not saying I want a VR Socom. Socom 4 was a desperate attempt to keep ps move alive and went against COD.

images

2825606372_0d871ee08c.jpg

2284036_sa.jpg

april6e

Nope. Call of Duty 4 blew up because it spit in the face of all the generic Medal of Honor and BF2 clones and made something completely fresh, modern, more arcadey and appealing to casual gamers. Anybody could hop on and be getting killstreaks and enjoying themselves unlike all the other shooters in the genre at the time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom