• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you lose your complete gaming library, what would you rebuy?

If you lose your complete gaming library, what would you rebuy?

• I would try to rebuild my library exactly as it was, over time.

Votes: 9 4.6%
  • I would only rebuy the games I loved the most.

Votes: 111 56.3%
  • I wouldn't rebuy anything, only new games.

Votes: 49 24.9%
  • I would quit gaming entirely.

Votes: 17 8.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 5.6%

• Total voters

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
Playstation:

Bloodborne. To be honest if my Playstation got account banned I’d not bother going back to it but yeah that’s the only game I’d buy again.

Out of my PS1-2 games I’d buy all the Harry Potter games again and Digimon World.

PC:

Cyberpunk 2077
Baldurs Gate 3
Elden Ring
Flight Simulator
Shin Megami Tensei V
Persona 3 Portable
Persona 3 Reload
Persona 4 Golden
Persona 5 Royal
Persona 5 Strikers
Resident Evil 2
Portal 2
Quidditch Champions
Hogwarts Legacy

Switch:

I don’t actually own any Switch games as they were all physical and I sold them but if Switch 2 has backwards compatibility I’ll be buying Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom digitally.

Last edited:

Garibaldi

None of it. My whole library is digital now. If I've lost it across all the platforms, I've either done something quite stupid or the companies in question have collectively fucked me.

Either way, I'm not paying another penny.

Robb

Gold Member
I’d re-buy the games I love the most, but I’d expect a lot of them to get remakes/remasters over time so I’d probably just wait until something like that appears rather than buy the original version of everything straight away.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

I'd rebuy Hunt Showdown 1896, as that's the only game I'm playing atm that needs to be bought.

Predecessor is f2p, so I'd already be set for the moment.

Other than those, I'd just buy new games going forward and build a new library.
I'd like to move forward, not backward.

Last edited:

acm2000

Once I'm done with a game I never really go back except for any big updates/dlc I might want, I've had my monies worth so I don't care anymore.

DrFigs

I just don't care about old games. I rarely go back to ps4 games to begin with. and anything before that is basically unplayable to me.

Last edited:
I would only rebuy whatever I was playing at the time. Then just move on from there like nothing happened. Aka just buy games I want to actually play at that moment.

It's nice having a big collection and all but that's money already spent in the past, and over a long period of time. There's no way I'm going to spend all that money over again.

geary

I have over 1800 games between steam and the other pc launchers, Steam being ~70% of those. If i lose the steam account, i will quit gaming or go on a subscription like gamepass.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I would still buy new games because i'm not big on replays, but with time i would rebuild a little library of classics that i don't have anymore.

geary

You should not buy the games again, because sooner or later you gonna get a remaster or a remake 😆

Last edited:

Magister

Neo Member
If I lost my PSN library I would be so furious and sell my PS5 and buy a PC. At least Steam does not ban accounts for shitty reasons.

NahaNago

I'd probably rebuy for console and just buy what I like on pc since I only really play like 2 games on pc even though I have like over 200 games thanks to humble bundle and steam sales from back in the day.

SHA

PC, cause the service is free, games are cheap, Epic free games, I could go cheap, it doesn't matter to me.

Last edited:

keefged4

Peoples have already mentioned it, but If i were to lose my steam library I'd probably end up pirating everything after that point tbh.

I end up replaying so few games that I probably wouldn't bother reacquiring most of the stuff I've lost. The only ones that I really reinstall with any regularity are Arcanum and FreeSpace 2.

Last edited:

duck_sauce

I almost never replay games except a few multiplayer games (dead by daylight etc.)
I would just start new and only rebuy the multiplayer games.

Xbox :
  • Prey 2016
  • Witcher 3
  • Dragon's Dogma
  • Rebel Galaxy
  • Deus Ex Human Revolution
  • Dustborn
  • Quantum Break
  • Cyberpunk 2077
  • Gears of War 1,2 and 3
  • Chivalry II
Playstation :
  • Metal Gear Solid 4
  • The Last of Us
  • Resistance 2 (only if multiplayer supported)
342041.jpg

StereoVsn

Man, this would suck. I would rebuy games I like and replay the most across variety of platforms.

Will start with PC I guess. And also I back up a lot of GoG games and my emulation ROM rips just in case.

Arioco

I own over 1000 physical games, some of them are old and very rare, I don't think rebuilding my collection exactly as it was would be feasible, and I wouldn't like to quit gaming either, so I guess I would buy only new games.

Alebrije

It happened to me Lost of games and consoles from Atari 2600 to N64.

Just bought again a Sega Genesis and a 3DO , about games for Genesis : Sonic, Landstalker and Carnage For 3DO: The Horde , Cyberhell, Killing Time , and The Game with Rob Zombie songs , Samuray Shadows or something similar.

Yep there were better games and Sytems but I moved to PS1 and forgott about past games.

Sleepwalker

Nothing, just the current year's sports games (eafc25, 2k25 and madden).

Whatever else i'd either buy or rent (if in a sub) when I decide I actually want to play it.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Master System
Genesis
Game Gear
CD
32X
Saturn

Super Famicom (not SNES SF library is way better) and PSX

Everything else I could live without

Minsc

Gold Member
Let your collection exist in a spreadsheet and you can't have this problem. Hell then you can list games in your collection you've never bought on platforms you don't even own, games you are interested in / like a wish list.

When it comes time to play a game, simply find a place to buy and play it. Far easier this way than trying to buy everything before you're ready to play, unless you really want to support a game you know you'll love to play later.

Quasicat

I would rebuy:
Mass Effect Legendary Edition
Fallout New Vegas
Animal Crossing New Horizons
Theatrhythm Final Fantasy Final Bar

and the tricky one being Rock Band 4. I have literally hundreds of downloaded songs that will never again be available. I play this with my kids all of the time.

Edellus

I don't think I'd rebuy any game, unless I am planning on actually replaying any of them (which I rarely do).

I've taken a sentiment towards gaming similar to going to the cinema. It is usually a nice time, great time sometimes, but when the credits roll I'm content with basking in the joy I got out of the experience and move on to the next one. Which I guess is a big part of why I don't mind going all digital. Even if someday I loose access to these games I bought, I feel I already got my money's worth.

I imagine I'd be far more upset if I lost all my trophies, tbh.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Really I would just get the games I come back to.

Diablo 2
Path of exile
World of Warcraft

Everything else isn’t necessary.

I would reacquire my favorites. For me that would be:

Bully: Scholarship Edition (Wii)
Days Gone (PC)
Dead Rising 3 (PC)
Dead or Alive 6 (PC)
Earthworm Jim (Genesis)
Forza Horizon 3 (PC)
Lies of P (PC)
Ninja Gaiden Sigma (PC)
ObsCure (PS2)
Persona 4 (PS2)
Resident Evil 3R/4 (PC)
Tekken 8 (PC)
The King of Fighters XV (PC)
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2x (Xbox)
True Crime: New York City (PC)
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed (PC)
Strangers of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin (PC)
Yakuza 5 (PC)
Virtua Fighter 5 (Xbox 360)

P.S. If the unofficial definitive version of Bloodborne (PS4) makes it to PC, it will also join the list.

Last edited:
Instead of buying every hyped game coming out, I tend to wait for sales unless it's for games I've been anticipating or very familiar with. That leads to me spending more money on the games I actually love, and that means on occasion I will buy both digital and physical copies. That makes me immune from having to re-buy everything in that specific even of losing one's entire library.

If my physical games are burnt or stolen I can simply play them digitally, and if my digital account gets hacked or banned I have my physical library.
Snoop Dogg Gangsta GIF by MOODMAN

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Only a handful of games Ive rebought in my life:

- Castelvania SOTN PS1 --> XBLA
- HOMM3 Complete Edition PC CD rom --> GOG
- Warlords 2 PC CD rom --> GOG
- Ace Combat 4 PS2 sold it --> rebought a used copy for the same price I sold it at!
- World at War 360 sold it --> rebought it for $15 new

A few I bought, but technically my bro bought it long time ago on his PC

- Ultima Underworld 1 and 2 DOS --> GOG
- Warlords 1 DOS --> GOG

Last edited:
Instead of buying every hyped game coming out, I tend to wait for sales unless it's for games I've been anticipating or very familiar with. That leads to me spending more money on the games I actually love, and that means on occasion I will buy both digital and physical copies. That makes me immune from having to re-buy everything in that specific even of losing one's entire library.

If my physical games are burnt or stolen I can simply play them digitally, and if my digital account gets hacked or banned I have my physical library.
Snoop Dogg Gangsta GIF by MOODMAN
PopQuizHotShot.jpg

House burns down after rogue AI fries all servers around the world. What do you do? What do you do?

CuNi

I'll assume innocently banned since if the ban was justified, that already means heavily exploiting the shop at the very least or other types of fraud/illegal activities and if you're willing to do those things, you don't really care how you acquire things you want anyway.
For Physical games, since I don't really have that many anymore, most likely try and hunt down the Halo games in Physical form again, as well as the Metroid-Series of games + Kingdom Hearts.
For PC, I'd only buy new games and would get the old ones I had through other channels... since I already paid for them...

Last edited:
My steam library is like a poly relationship. These games technically belong to me because they sit in my library but at the same time everyone else has them too. They belong to the streets internet.

What I'm getting at is that I don't care if I lost my entire library. Games are cheap and there's plenty of fish in the sea.

But to answer the OP's question, I would probably re-purchase Oxenfree. A game where you don't really do anything.

m14

Xbox :
  • Prey 2016
  • Witcher 3
  • Dragon's Dogma
  • Rebel Galaxy
  • Deus Ex Human Revolution
  • Dustborn
  • Quantum Break
  • Cyberpunk 2077
  • Gears of War 1,2 and 3
  • Chivalry II
Playstation :
  • Metal Gear Solid 4
  • The Last of Us
Why not Rambo: The Video Game (2014)?

Xbox :
  • Prey 2016
Playstation :
Played alot Resistance 2 coop back then. Prey is actually a 2017 game. By the way it's a masterpiece in my book although the enemies are a bit repetitive. Soundtrack is a vibe.

I would be sad but maybe I would end up rebuying Hideo Kojima's and Final Fantasy games.

Last edited:

Mortisfacio

Satisfactory
Pretty much every Blizzard game that's paid
CyberPunk (base and expansion)
Elden Ring (and expansion)
Witcher 3 (and expansions)
Bioshock 1/2/infinite and DLCs
Mass Effect: Legendary Edition
Prey 2016
Bloodborne
God of War 3
God of War 2018
Age of Empires 4
Rise of Nations
Lies of P

WoW, Satisfactory and D4 are my most played paid games of the year so those would be priority.

Ibara

Id be relieved in a weird way.
I’d rebuy a few things

Dark Souls trimogy
Bloodborne
Elden ring
Katamari damacy
A hand full of Shmups

Top Bottom