• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Feel the Magic XY/XX review

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
should be posted in a bit...

It's another whirlwind affair from the screwiest minds at Sega -- it's not over before you know it, but it is over before you want it to be. But Sega was wise to bring this over from Japan -- though there is a little Japanglish to the translation (which is mostly wordless anyway, a story told through graphics, sound and gameplay), it's a game that can catch the heart of anybody who picks it up. It may not be a game that you play lots of, but it is a game that will be played lots of times on your DS by friends and family.

edit - here is the link at ign boards. don't know if it will work for non-insiders.

http://boards.ign.com/Nintendo_DS_General_Board__/b7585/72453258/?27

LowTecky

since when did a near-8 become a sucky score..
it's hardly anything to rave about, but what did you expect from a wario-ware wannabe

borghe

actually it seems to carry on a sega tradition of sorts.. make a very unique and interesting game but make it relatively short....

still looking forward to it.. most of the score was brought down by lasting appeal...

el jacko

People bought and loved Mario Kart:DD and that was the origin of 7.9...

Anyways the little review text makes it sound better than the score does. Sounds more like it was too short for its own good.

Yeah same here, I'm not at all suprised really. This game has some awesome presentation, and I'm still tempted to buy it (reviews have never really changed my opinion on anything), but the length of the game has always been into question. 30 or so minigames isn't very compelling, but for a launch title. I don't see much of a problem. Wario Ware isn't far away anyways, I think I'll just stick with that.

borghe

Luigi's Mansion was only about 6-7 hours total playtime and it was some of the most pure fun I've ever had playing a game...

it ain't the length but the quality. ;P

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
borghe said:
Luigi's Mansion was only about 6-7 hours total playtime and it was some of the most pure fun I've ever had playing a game...

IAWTP

I see very little complaints about the actual quality of the game. Just the length. Therefore, I'm buying it. :)

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
That's exactly what I expected. Fun, but way too short.

I'm not going to pick this up full price, but maybe I wille eventually if I find it cheap enough.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
It seems that people put game length over game quality, nowadays, when considering their purchases. :/

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
oh my god a portable game that isnt 80 hours wtf is wrong with this world that standard was set years ago.

Amir0x

Banned
borghe said:

God, don't make comparrisons like that. Luigi's Mansion was awful.

I have Feel the Magic XY/XX pre-ordered, so I'm not going to take it over. But still, relatively disappointing. It's not like I'm paying 50 bucks for it, though, so I don't mind a short game if I only pay 30 bucks.

Unison

If this kind of quirky game was on the PS2 & was this short & had this art style, people would be jizzing all over it, I'm sure. We're probably expecting more than we should simply because it's a launch title.

Vibri

Banned
I'm not sold on DS. But I've been putting some good time into this game and I think that despite the review, people here will really dig it. It won't last long but it's a perfect launch title - stylish, and wholly unique to the system. Definately worth a try.

Shame about Mario 64 though... shudder. Shameless butchering of an all-time classic.

Vibri

Banned
I wanted to love it. Mario 64 is probably still my favorite platformer of all time. But the controls suck, and yes I've played it for hours. The camera sucks too. I'm confident Nintendo will debut some crazy cool shit for DS down the line but this just isn't it.

Sorry I'll stop side-tracking the thread. FTM is definately one of the most original and fun games I've played in a long while, fans of UGA games will eat it up. Love the music.

Amir0x

Banned
Vibri said:
I wanted to love it. Mario 64 is probably still my favorite platformer of all time. But the controls suck, and yes I've played it for hours. The camera sucks too. I'm confident Nintendo will debut some crazy cool shit for DS down the line but this just isn't it.

Sorry I'll stop side-tracking the thread. FTM is definately one of the most original and fun games I've played in a long while, fans of UGA games will eat it up. Love the music.

I must ask... did you play it with the thumbstrap?

Amir0x

Banned
borghe said:
says one man.

You're damn right, says one man. That was just a horrible excuse for a game from Nintendo. Not only did it lack depth, but it was one of the most boring gaming experiences I had on the Gamecube to date. It devolves into simply going around a room and checking each object meticulously to find a ghost. This is not fun. It's the opposite of fun. By the end, I wanted to kill Nintendo for destroying my memory of Luigi. Thankfully, Paper Mario 2 and Luigi's Quest made me forget about it.

This is, of course, one man's opinion. My opinion, and that's what matters for me ;)

Vibri

Banned
Yes I did. Doesn't work as well as MP Hunters. Mario 64 minus the pixel-perfect thumb stick control and c-button camera system is strangely bland.

Amir0x

Banned
Vibri said:
Yes I did. Doesn't work as well as MP Hunters. Mario 64 minus the pixel-perfect thumb stick control and c-button camera system is strangely bland.

Hm. I have a really hard time believing that it's as bad as you say, but maybe it is. I'll hold out hope because I really love Super Mario 64.

borghe

Amir0x said:
You're damn right, says one man. That was just a horrible excuse for a game from Nintendo. Not only did it lack depth, but it was one of the most boring gaming experiences I had on the Gamecube to date. It devolves into simply going around a room and checking each object meticulously to find a ghost. This is not fun. It's the opposite of fun. By the end, I wanted to kill Nintendo for destroying my memory of Luigi. Thankfully, Paper Mario 2 and Luigi's Quest made me forget about it.

This is, of course, one man's opinion. My opinion, and that's what matters for me ;)
oddly enough I thought THE EXACT OPPOSITE about the game. I shit you not, EXACT opposite...

well, at least we agree on PM (though I have no idea what you mean by Luigi's Quest).

Oh well, guess not everyone is capable of seeing the genius that was Luigi's Mansion :lol :lol

Amir0x

Banned
borghe said:
oddly enough I thought THE EXACT OPPOSITE about the game. I shit you not, EXACT opposite...

well, at least we agree on PM (though I have no idea what you mean by Luigi's Quest).

Oh well, guess not everyone is capable of seeing the genius that was Luigi's Mansion :lol :lol

The genius of Luigi's Mansion flew RIGHT over my head. Or, if you prefer, was sucked right out of my head... with a vacuum! :lol

P.S. Luigi's Quest. You know, whenever you finished a part in PM2 Luigi would be sitting around telling you tales of his quest in the "Pudding Kingdom."

Vibri

Banned
Amir0x said:
Hm. I have a really hard time believing that it's as bad as you say, but maybe it is. I'll hold out hope because I really love Super Mario 64.

It's not a bad game. Multi is fun. But it's nowhere what a first party launch game should be. Just trying to temper expecations a bit. FM is the best launch game IMO.

Amir0x

Banned
borghe said:
umm.. are you referring to that as a game??? that's weird.

No, no. I just meant that the whole Luigi's Quest segment within Paper Mario 2 cured my memory of Luigi's Mansion.

Ok, and Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga also cured my memory.

Vibri said:
It's not a bad game. Multi is fun. But it's nowhere what a first party launch game should be. Just trying to temper expecations a bit. FM is the best launch game IMO.

I take it Asphalt GT was a shitty on DS as it is on Ngage? What about Spiderman DS and...uh...Rayman DS?

FoneBone

Amir0x said:
I take it Asphalt GT was a shitty on DS as it is on Ngage? What about Spiderman DS and...uh...Rayman DS?
Rayman isn't out until December, so review copies may not have been sent out yet.

Vibri, what site or magazine do you work for? Just curious.

Amir0x

Banned
FoneBone said:
Rayman isn't out until December, so review copies may not have been sent out yet.

Ah. I wasn't sure when Rayman DS was coming out because I saw it on some launch list a while ago.

Vibri

Banned
FoneBone said:

I don't work in the media.

Asphalt is pretty shitty as is Sprung.

Soul4ger

UbiSoft's dating game.

And it seems like I stand in the minority on this, but I was impressed with how well they managed to get the touchscreen to emulate an analog stick. I had zero problems jumping, aiming, anything. After adjusting to it.

And vibri, to say the camera is bad, it's improved over the N64 version. So I don't know what you think about that...

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Society said:
Looked lacking to me. Can only unbutton a silhouette's dress so many times before getting old.
Speak for yourself.

Vibri

Banned
Soul4ger said:
And vibri, to say the camera is bad, it's improved over the N64 version. So I don't know what you think about that...

The raw AI of the camera is slightly improved, but the flexibility isn't. I hate not being able to properly rotate and scale the camera on the fly during gameplay, with the c-buttons. Boss battles are a nightmare.

I love how texture pixellation is now COOL to Nintendo fans. Bilinear filtering sure was cool when yer hardware actually HAD it, eh?

borghe

Drinky Crow said:
I love how texture pixellation is now COOL to Nintendo fans. Bilinear filtering sure was cool when yer hardware actually HAD it, eh?
I love how you twist peoples words to mean things nowhere near what they were saying.

no one said it was cool.. it just isn't hardly a factor at 3" as it is at 27"+

Top Bottom