• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Feel the Magic XY/XX review

Vibri

Banned
I agree with much of the meat of that review, but minus the score.

Here's the closing paragraph:

"The original Super Mario 64 was a blast, and this version is no exception. While the control frustrations and somewhat regular camera problems do hamper the fun factor to a point, the huge adventure mode, many additions, and fantastic mini-games help to make up for it. If you don’t find a way to have fun with this game in some form or another, you may want to have your head checked."

If frustrating control and a poor camera are things you can overlook in A MARIO GAME, then great. Buy it.

As for the rest of us, don't be fooled by the apologetic tone of this review. At the least, try it for yourself before buying.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
From the review:

The stage where you two fall in love by holding hands -- a stage where you are an active participant, as you touch her swinging hand on the touchscreen as you two walk through a park, then brush attacking bees away while being mindful not to swat your heartthrob in the process -- rivals games such as Ico in making the player honestly fall in love with someone who is only digital pixels on a screen

Sounds fantastic!

Vibri

Banned
There are a few levels like that - no time limit, no real objective even. Just pure experience. Works really well.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Soul4ger said:
And it seems like I stand in the minority on this, but I was impressed with how well they managed to get the touchscreen to emulate an analog stick. I had zero problems jumping, aiming, anything. After adjusting to it.

But I don't want to be impressed by how well they emulate something using something else, I want to be impressed by how the game plays and controls. If the touchscreen isn't suited to the game, it isn't suited. Simple as that.

An analog stick + touchscreen would have given more flexibility. I can't help thinking this is just an excuse by Nintendo, especially seeing as the original Metroid demo had a very different control method.

using the touchscreen as an analog replacement runs the risk of wearing it out/breaking it. The touchscreen is ideal as a 'touch' screen, for selecting things, or slicing like in wario. But constant pressure and movement in a small area - I don't know if it'd take much of that abuse. Certainly there isn't any precedent set.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
no one said it was cool.. it just isn't hardly a factor at 3" as it is at 27"+
Definitely true, but from the direct feed videos at IGN (which are approx 3" on my monitor anyways) it was obvious at places. It also looked like the 3D in Super Mario was a bit 'shaky', and I don't remember that on N64. I actually thought that was more of an annoyance than lack of texture filtering, at least from those videos.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Marconelly said:
Definitely true, but from the direct feed videos at IGN (which are approx 3" on my monitor anyways) it was obvious at places. It also looked like the 3D in Super Mario was a bit 'shaky', and I don't remember that on N64. I actually thought that was more of an annoyance than lack of texture filtering, at least from those videos.
also understand that those videos are:

a) heavily compressed
b) on a crt display and not an LCD

It would be wise to reserve judgement until actual seeing it in action on a DS. From the time I spent with the game (a bit) I didn't notice any serious texture problems well, shimmering on seams on some doors and stuff, but that isn't filtering, that's just plain old resolution and probably even something to do with that this is an unfinished demo and not the full game.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
a) heavily compressed
b) on a crt display and not an LCD
Yes, I know, but neither of those would produce the shakiness problem I'm talking about. I've seen the same thing, although even worse, throughout Asphalt GT videos, btw. Feel the Magic looks pretty fine though, that's one DS game I'll have to try ASAP.

Top Bottom