• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[IGN] Metroid Prime 2 (new demo) Impressions

king zell

But hey, we're not complaining. In fact, we wouldn't have it any other way. Metroid Prime is arguably the greatest experience on the GameCube. It delivered an atmospheric first-person adventure the likes of which we haven't seen since its release. What we will complain about though, was the lack of new information regarding new visors and upgrades. The screw attack, although witnessed through videos, was still absent from the demo. Still, there's not too much to gripe about. After all, November 16 is creeping up quickly.

http://cube.ign.com/articles/555/555236p1.html

metroid-prime-2-echoes-20041007084950920-000.jpg

:)

And it seems that the multiplayer mode is fun as well:

"In one new map, Shooting Gallery, we found an assortment of tight corridors and open areas that made for intense deathmatching. The most interesting (and satisfying) feature of this level was a turret that we could climb inside in order to deliver massive bursts of hot plasma to our foes. These explosive shots were truly devastating, as we managed to rack up a bunch of kills from our perch before we were taken down. Sadly, being inside the turret seemed to make us more vulnerable than usual, as foes who slipped past our withering barrage were able to remove us with little trouble. On this map we found the dark cannon (which is featured prominently in the single-player game), allowing us an occasional break from the standard charge cannon-missile combo."

http://www.gamespot.com/gamecube/action/metroidprime2tentativetitle/preview_6110027.html

I got a question about the light/dark worlds.

I think I remember reading or hearing somewhere that the two worlds were identical (just diferent in their light/dark appearance). Is that true?

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
siamesedreamer said:

I think I remember reading or hearing somewhere that the two worlds were identical (just diferent in their light/dark appearance). Is that true?

Mostly similar yes, in the MP2 demo that NOA sent when you check the map you can toggle between light and dark world and some locations have the exact same layout, while some no longer exist and some are added, but without looking at the map i would never have known, they look so different.

Kon Tiki

Banned
siamesedreamer said:

Well it is one world, split into two parallel dimensions. :p

olimario

Banned
After a few blasts from your power beam, the door opens to reveal a small cavern with kelp-like plants on the floor, walls and ceiling. Making your way past the cavern and through a network of corridors, you'll stumble upon a rather macabre finding: federation troops dangling lifeless from the ceiling of a command center.

More bodies litter the ground. To the right a trooper has died still clutching some kind of switch. A nearby door releases two locks when you activate the switch using your visor. Making your way deeper into the complex, you discover more bodies. And then more bodies. You find dead troopers strewn about every room and corridor you cross.

And then something unexpected happens. Just as Samus makes her way to another door, one of the troopers is infused with dark matter and rises from the ground. Within moments, Samus is surrounded by undead federation troops. Time to put that power beam to good use.

Just like zombies in any other game (or film,) the undead troops go down easy. But you'll never fight just one. Seeing as you moved through room after room of dead troops, you'll need to blast your way through to your landing site a little later in the game. Each trooper fires energy shots, but you can dodge most quite easily, especially by locking on to the closest one and side-stepping out of the way.

ZOMBIES!!!

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
siamesedreamer said:

I imagined it like LOZ:LttP.

THe look will be changed, but the basic layout will be the same, with some new nooks and crannys that allow you to reach previously unreachable sections of the alternate world.

We will have to wait and see ultimately.

Top Bottom