• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Posts Up More Project Cafe Hardware Power Rumors

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Shalashaska161 said:
Seems reasonable enough. The biggest problem I see with it is the RAM, as 1GB is barely anything these days. Hopefully the real number is somewhere around 2GB+.

The article mentions the total amount of RAM being 1GB, therefore implying that the amount of system RAM is something lower (likely a 50/50 split).

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
antonz said:
If the specs are accurate you could basically play something like the Witcher 2 maxed out in 1080P likely on Cafe.

Considering this is a Nintendo console we are talking about that is pretty fantastic.
Well, here's are The Witcher 2's system specifications:

Recommended Requirements:

Processor: Quad Core Intel or AMD
RAM: 3GB Win XP/ 4GB Vista/7
Graphics: GeForce 260 1GB or (HD4850 1GB)
HDD Space: 16 GB
A tri-core semi-modern PowerPC clocked over 3.2 GHz should be comparable to Intel's first ever quadcore.

The graphics card would be equivalent via this rumor.

The real question is the RAM.

If Nintendo has 2GB of unified GDDR5 RAM, I could see them getting games to look like this *if* you replaced all anti-aliasing with something like a cheap MLAA filter:
http://h-7.abload.de/img/tactical_fight_againstgnur.jpg
http://h-7.abload.de/img/temerian_soldiers_prepgu91.jpg
http://h-7.abload.de/img/geralt_fighting_the_unfntj.jpg

This is highly dependent on the RAM though as well as the assumption they are not making negative modifications to the graphics card.

antonz

shadyspace said:
Now I really wish Other M never happened. We would have gotten Metroid Cafe that much sooner.
Other M suffered the same fate that Steel Diver was dumped with. In Both cases the actual makers of the game wanted to do much more and the overseers said no no minimal is better

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
This sound like a generation leap over 360 and PS3 and against most of rumors so far.

Anyway, hope it's $299 and not something crazy.

ggnoobIGN

Banned
TekkenMaster said:
I hope Retro has something other than Donkey Kong Country Returns 2 to show at E3.

Metroid HD, Zelda HD, Starfox HD, F-Zero HD, Original IP HD....just please show something that can truly show off the power of the Wii 2.
You should be pointing this towards EAD then. They're going to be the ones who truly show off the power of the system.

antonz

Nirolak said:
Well, here's are The Witcher 2's system specifications:

A tri-core semi-modern PowerPC clocked over 3.2 GHz should be comparable to Intel's first ever quadcore.

The graphics card would be equivalent via this rumor.

The real question is the RAM.

If Nintendo has 2GB of unified GDDR5 RAM, I could see them getting games to look like this *if* you replaced all anti-aliasing with something like a cheap MLAA filter:
http://h-7.abload.de/img/tactical_fight_againstgnur.jpg
http://h-7.abload.de/img/temerian_soldiers_prepgu91.jpg
http://h-7.abload.de/img/geralt_fighting_the_unfntj.jpg

This is highly dependent on the RAM though as well as the assumption they are not making negative modifications to the graphics card.
I do agree. Ram and what modifications they do to the card will be big factors. The fact they are seemingly making a console as large as the original 360 seems to indicate to me they arent gimping features on parts though.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
apana said:
Seriously tho, are we now talking about full generation leap?
Hmm... not quite in the PS2->PS3 sense, but it's a lot better than I was expecting.

Maybe a Dreamcast sense isn't too far off, but we'd really need to know more about the RAM and the modifications to know which side of the Dreamcast fence it's on.

If they aggressively modified though and went all out on RAM, it'd be pretty close to a full generation leap.

antonz said:
If the specs are accurate you could basically play something like the Witcher 2 maxed out in 1080P likely on Cafe.

Considering this is a Nintendo console we are talking about that is pretty fantastic.
I would be pretty damn happy if every game next gen looked as good as the Witcher 2.

This is awesome news if true. Can't wait for E3 now.

The next step. Getting developers in general to actually take advantage of the power. aka mission impossible

shadyspace said:
Anybody got a run down of what price Nintendo's consoles have launched at? Having trouble finding that info.

1985: Nintendo Entertainment System - $199
1991: Super Nintendo - $199
1996: Nintendo 64 - $199
2001: Nintendo GameCube - $199
2006: Nintendo Wii - $249

timetokill said:
Sounds like $349 territory to me.

Nah. IGN could have gotten that same system for FAR less, easily. I'd say $300.

ggnoobIGN

Banned
shadyspace said:
Anybody got a run down of what price Nintendo's consoles have launched at? Having trouble finding that info.
U.S. Launch Prices
1977: Atari 2600 - $199
1982: ColecoVision - $175
1982: Atari 5200 - $269
1986: Atari 7800 - $139
1986: Sega Master System - $199
1989: TurboGrafx-16 - $199
1989: Sega Genesis - $189
1990: SNK NeoGeo - $649
1993: 3DO - $699
1993: Atari Jaguar - $249
1995: Sega Saturn - $399
1995: PlayStation - $299
1999: Sega Dreamcast - $199
2000: PlayStation 2 - $299
2001: Xbox - $299
2005: Xbox 360 - $299 / $399
2006: PlayStation 3 - $499 / $599

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i can't believe the amount of pleasure i have gotten out of those $199 systems. it makes the pricing of some other consoles which shall remain nameless seem even more insane and stupid.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
AceBandage said:
Unless they're loading the controller with it's own GPU and CPU, it's not going to be nearly as expensive as people think.
Well, the screen needs some kind of CPU control unit to run.

JABEE

Nintendo could probably get those PC parts for much cheaper considering they'd be mass producing the system.

BY2K

Membero Americo
ggnoobIGN said:
U.S. Launch Prices
1977: Atari 2600 - $199
1982: ColecoVision - $175
1982: Atari 5200 - $269
1986: Atari 7800 - $139
1986: Sega Master System - $199
1989: TurboGrafx-16 - $199
1989: Sega Genesis - $189
1990: SNK NeoGeo - $649
1993: 3DO - $699
1993: Atari Jaguar - $249
1995: Sega Saturn - $399
1995: PlayStation - $299
1999: Sega Dreamcast - $199
2000: PlayStation 2 - $299
2001: Xbox - $299
2005: Xbox 360 - $299 / $399
2006: PlayStation 3 - $499 / $599

Up until the Wii, Nintendo priced all their home consoles $199? Well damn.

The GCN was freaking magic in a purple box.
No system will ever outclass just how well built that thing was. Both performance wise and durability.

antonz

Based on IGNs parts I can build the same thing for roughly 315 dollars. Mind you Nintendo could get access to the parts for probably 1/3 cheaper than me or more. 300-349 Launch Price seems possible.

apana

AceBandage said:
The GCN was freaking magic in a purple box.
No system will ever outclass just how well built that thing was. Both performance wise and durability.

Seriously look at Metroid Prime, Wind Waker, Rogue Squadron etc.

BY2K

Membero Americo
All like the parts about the framerates:

Black Ops:

Framerate performance varied, though never dipped below 32 frames-per-second and reached as high as 56 frames-per-second.

Portal 2:

We were able to max out all of the graphics settings and maintain a constant 60 frames-per-second.

Hot Pursuit:

At the settings mentioned above, our custom system ran above 32 frames-per-second and capped out at 40 frames-per-second.

antonz said:
Based on IGNs parts I can build the same thing for roughly 315 dollars. Mind you Nintendo could get access to the parts for probably 1/3 cheaper than me or more. 300-349 Launch Price seems possible.

Given the soft launch of the 3DS, unless they have some killer software lined up, I can see it being $300.

antonz

AceBandage said:
Given the soft launch of the 3DS, unless they have some killer software lined up, I can see it being $300.
I do agree that the 300 mark seems more likely. Puts alot of pressure on the other guys too because it draws the line in the sand on Next gen system prices

low-G

Completely useless to compare a PC to console specs. The console is going to perform much much better, coded at a lower level, less overhead and such.

Krowley

Nirolak said:
If they aggressively modified though and went all out on RAM, it'd be pretty close to a full generation leap.

So in essence, this is basically the generational leap we're looking at (with comparisons, albeit not in the right res or anything, for a layman)

15yual5.jpg

to

ou6q89.jpg

to

5k2ae1.jpg

to

tactical_fight_againstgnur.jpg

Now don't get me wrong, that shit looks great right there, but diminishing returns are definitely starting to kick in if next gen is going to be in that ballpark. Nobody is going to be able to blow people's minds quite as much as this gen did on a graphics level.

Jin34

I think 2GB of GDDR5 is being overly optimistic even though it would be the best safeguard against the PS4/720. 1GB is what I've always expected.

Now as someone with a 4850... Wouldn't a 4850 with GDDR5 instead of GDDR3 basically be a 4870 for all intents and purposes? That was the biggest difference between the 2 models.

ggnoobIGN said:
You should be pointing this towards EAD then. They're going to be the ones who truly show off the power of the system.

I doubt EAD has anywhere near the HD development expertise that Retro does.

Retro is very likely more tuned in to HD programming (complex shaders, etc) than EAD is.

antonz

Jin34 said:
I think 2GB of GDDR5 is being overly optimistic even though it would be the best safeguard against the PS4/720. 1GB is what I've always expected.

Now as someone with a 4850... Wouldn't a 4850 with GDDR5 instead of GDDR3 basically be a 4870 for all intents and purposes? That was the biggest difference between the 2 models.
If they did upgrade the ram on the GPU to DDR5 it would for all intent purposes be a 4870 as you say.

Top Bottom