• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Posts Up More Project Cafe Hardware Power Rumors

Kandinsky

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
Is that game any good???

I played the first one but only this one at Toys R Us for a few minutes.

It looked nice but I couldn't get used to the gameplay.
Yeah its great, 64 is better tho, imo.

Log4Girlz

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
What do you guys think will be the showpiece for this new system when it eventually is shown.

Like the killer app system seller????

Mario, Zelda or a new IP like Wii Sports or none of these.

Oh wait, there is another thread for questions like this that I won't post this at but you guys go back to talking about chocolate and tech-specs.

But I will answer anyway. It will probably be a new IP. I don't think a 3D Mario or Zelda will sell systems like they used to. I think a lot of people grew out of those games. I still haven't finished Galaxy (Doesn't mean I won't, but man do I have little motivation to continue) and Zelda TP is the only Zelda game I've stopped playing out of boredom (I will give it another shot soon, I hear it gets better later).

Now, I would hope it was a new Rogue Leader or F-Zero or something else sci-fi that shows off new shaders well. Its easy to create metallic and plastic shaders and they'll actually look good with such games.

beast786

AceBandage said:
Well, even if you don't agree with the WiiSports type games, they certainly did differentiate themselves on the system with their mainline games. Particularly Mario Galaxy.

I understand that tastes change, but if you aren't even willing to give SMG2 a playthrough, then I doubt the Cafe will offer what you want.

And that is why I will wait. I need to see where Nintendo is going to do with Wii2. If its WiiHD than no thanks.

If they will break out of there comfort zone and try something fresh and New. I will reward it by buying it.

Log4Girlz said:
or F-Zero or something else sci-fi that shows off new shaders well. Its easy to create metallic and plastic shaders and they'll actually look good with such games.

Would that sell systems though???

I am not being condescending because I really haven't kept track of what IPs sell how much(besides the obvious ones).

donny2112

herzogzwei1989 said:
I'd kill for another Rogue Squadron game, something that really shows off the hardware like Rogue Leader did for GameCube.

You just make me sad that the main Factor 5 guys are now doing Facebook games. :(

I held off on buying the Wii at launch, because I didn't want to have another "price drop 6 months in"-GameCube debacle. Cafe will probably be $300-$350. It probably won't go through Wii-type sellouts at that price, so waiting on buying it until later should be fine.

Hopefully Zelda Cafe is already in pre-production already. I don't think I'll be able to wait until 2016 or whatever. Is there anything Nintendo can do to speed the process along like parner with another company to help with the graphics?

donny2112 said:
You just make me sad that the main Factor 5 guys are now doing Facebook games. :(

A sad end, Factor 5 has met....

Truth101

Banned
herzogzwei1989 said:
Hopefully Zelda Cafe is already in pre-production already. I don't think I'll be able to wait until 2016 or whatever. Is there anything Nintendo can do to speed the process along like parner with another company to help with the graphics?

I'd seriously doubt that Zelda Cafe is very far into the pre-production stages, it is much more likely that a 3DS Zelda will be revealed or hinted at at E3 and even that is almost certainly not going to happen.

GameE

Truth101 said:
I'd seriously doubt that Zelda Cafe is very far into the pre-production stages, it is much more likely that a 3DS Zelda will be revealed or hinted at at E3 and even that is slim.

I don't think there will be any new Zelda stuff talked about until next year at the earliest. Except for the 25th anniversary stuff if they are working on a game or something for that.

Truth101

Banned
GameE said:
I don't think there will be any new Zelda stuff talked about until next year at the earliest. Except for the 25th anniversary stuff if they are working on a game or something for that.

No I completely agree, there is about a 99% chance we won't get media for a new Zelda until next year sometimes and even then it will likely be for the 3DS.

Truth101 said:
I'd seriously doubt that Zelda Cafe is very far into the pre-production stages, it is much more likely that a 3DS Zelda will be revealed or hinted at at E3 and even that is almost certainly not going to happen.

I can see them showing a tech demo or cinematic to get the audience hyped. Now that they have a system with graphics worth showing off, there's no reason not to. Even an early build of OoT was shown right at the N64's unveiling and it didn't come out until 2 years later.

Anth0ny

Truth101 said:

Well, 3DS has OOT3DS.

Even a tech demo tease ala Spaceworld 2000 for Zelda cafe would be nice.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I can see where Beast is coming from, though my problem is actually with Nintendo's other flagship series, Zelda.

Zelda is a fantastically polished game, but at this point, I find myself far more interested in ambitious yet unpolished games than ones that are highly polished yet feel familiar.

Darksiders was a highly unpolished game of very uneven quality, but I really loved it for all the things it tried, whereas with Twilight Princess I frequently got the feeling of playing a game I already had. I can barely get interested in Skyward Sword despite having long liked this series just because it seems so familiar yet again.

As a non-Nintendo example, Red Faction: Guerrilla is one of my favorite games this generation, but there are parts of that game that are straight up horrible. The sequel, Red Faction: Armageddon, looks vastly more polished, but it is now basically a corridor shooter, so I can't get myself hyped for it at all.

Nintendo showed some fantastic innovation with the Wii, but it was mostly related to their casual titles, which just don't really interest me. I hope they put more effort back into innovating in their core series this generation, even if we get less polished titles because of it. Perhaps the extra hardware power they have available will really enable this. Mario Galaxy did feel different enough to me though, so I'm willing to maintain an optimistic outlook.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with preferring more polished titles over innovation, but this is just the perspective I have toward gaming right now.

Fourth Storm said:
I can see them showing a tech demo or cinematic to get the audience hyped. Now that they have a system with graphics worth showing off, there's no reason not to. Even an early build of OoT was shown right at the N64's unveiling and it didn't come out until 2 years later.

True, I agree. I hope there's a Zelda tech-demo to show what Zelda could be like with HD resolutions and modern shader-based graphics.

TunaLover

Ok, speaking of the games, what game(s) do you think will be Café flagship title?

N64 -> Mario64
Wii -> WiiSports
SNES -> Super Mario World
NES -> Super Mario Bros
GCN -> Luigi's Mansion (?)

I think that Pikmin 3 has high chances to be Café showcase title.

apana

Dammit I want to see a cool tech demo for Zelda. Link comes in riding on a giant eagle to get to a mountain top. As the eagle descends Link does a backflip off it and onto the ground where Ganondorf is seemingly unarmed. Link runs towards him with a long sword but Ganondorf through magic produces two gigantic battle axes. He's carrying one in each hand. Awesomeness ensues and E3 crowd goes wild. Oh and Ganondorf can breathe fire.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
TunaLover said:
Ok, speaking of the games, what game(s) do you think will be Café flagship title?

N64 -> Mario64
Wii -> WiiSports
NES -> Super Mario Bros

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Mario.

beast786 said:
This will be my first Nintendo console that i wont buy at launch. Either i changed or just grew out of Mario and company.

My wii is collecting dust.

Weird. I was considering starting a thread about how, despite my still being a huge Nintendo fan who is very much hyped for Cafe, my interest in Mario platformers has waned considerably. I didn't bother to finish Galaxy and never even picked up SMG2.

watershed

Banned
Nirolak said:
I can see where Beast is coming from, though my problem is actually with Nintendo's other flagship series, Zelda.

Zelda is a fantastically polished game, but at this point, I find myself far more interested in ambitious yet unpolished games than ones that are highly polished yet feel familiar.

Darksiders was a highly unpolished game of very uneven quality, but I really loved it for all the things it tried, whereas with Twilight Princess I frequently got the feeling of playing a game I already had. I can barely get interested in Skyward Sword despite having long liked this series just because it seems so familiar yet again.

A lot of people felt that way about TP, myself included. But really OoT was a great, fresh experience. MM was by some accounts even better and weirder/fresher in story for sure. WW was a very different Zelda experience for me because the world/races/graphics all seemed new and the world in particular was very ambitious. By my judgement TP was the only Zelda of the 3d bunch to feel redundant and stale.

We don't know enough about SS yet so I won't make a judgement on it yet. But there isn't a history of zelda being too similar to past entries unless you are actually tired of the games as a whole.

Zelda just needs to go back to explaration roots and it'll be perfect again. And yeah, Darksiders was great.

Also they likely won't show a Zelda demo for Cafe as that would overshadow SS.

Kandinsky

TunaLover said:

N64 -> Mario64
Wii -> WiiSports
NES -> Super Mario Bros

New IP obviously.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
artwalknoon said:
A lot of people felt that way about TP, myself included. But really OoT was a great, fresh experience. MM was by some accounts even better and weirder/fresher in story for sure. WW was a very different Zelda experience for me because the world/races/graphics all seemed new and the world in particular was very ambitious. By my judgement TP was the only Zelda of the 3d bunch to feel redundant and stale.

We don't know enough about SS yet so I won't make a judgement on it yet. But there isn't a history of zelda being too similar to past entries unless you are actually tired of the games as a whole.
I'm technically including the handheld entries in my assessment here.

Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks weren't good for my Zelda morale. :lol

TunaLover

Nirolak said:
I'm going to go out on a limb and say Mario.
Yeah Mario seems a logic candidate, but I'm thinking more about the control and how it will be demoed, I think Pikmin 3 fulfill some criteria cause it could potentially make extensive use of the touchscreen, item and Pikmin selection would pretty smooth and intuitive too.

apana said:
Dammit I want to see a cool tech demo for Zelda. Link comes in riding on a giant eagle to get to a mountain top. As the eagle descends Link does a backflip off it and onto the ground where Ganondorf is seemingly unarmed. Link runs towards him with a long sword but Ganondorf through magic produces two gigantic battle axes. He's carrying one in each hand. Awesomeness ensues and E3 crowd goes wild. Oh and Ganondorf can breathe fire.

Would be cool.

Log4Girlz

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
Would that sell systems though???

I am not being condescending because I really haven't kept track of what IPs sell how much(besides the obvious ones).

No, that would be the new IP. The other two games were HOPES :p

apana

Problem is Pikmin 3 is not gonna generate huge headlines and buzz. Whereas Zelda tech demo will mean the crowd goes nuts and starts hooting and hollering.

Poyunch

Replace the axes with tridents plz.

apana said:
Problem is Pikmin 3 is not gonna generate huge headlines and buzz. Whereas Zelda tech demo will mean the crowd goes nuts and starts hooting and hollering.
But it would be much better for a technical showcase since Pikmin isl about the small details. Literally.

Nirolak said:

Competely agree with the latter, will never understand the former. PH was the best parts of Majora's Mask and Link's Awakening wrapped up in one oceany package.

watershed

Banned
antonz said:
I could see a Luigi game surfacing for launch.
Luigi is the wrong mascot to launch a new console. All anybody will say is "where's mario?" Maybe a new IP will lead the charge. But I would rather have a load of cute Pikmin be the big 1st party game for the cafe than Luigi, plus I think they might be able generate more consumer interest through advertising. I image an approach similar to the rabbids or Little Big Planet could work. Imagining Luigi in some print ads or commercials just doesn't seem compelling enough.

Kandinsky

shadyspace said:
Weird. I was considering starting a thread about how, despite my still being a huge Nintendo fan who is very much hyped for Cafe, my interest in Mario platformers has waned considerably. I didn't bother to finish Galaxy and never even picked up SMG2.
I kinda feel the same, both Galaxies bored me@50'ish stars :/

watershed

Banned
Nirolak said:

I know I left them out on purpose because they were poor excuses for a grand portable zelda adventure. They shoulda stuck with 2d in my mind.

Log4Girlz

Now, what 3 third party IP's would sell the Cafe to the masses?

Gears of War series
Assassin's Creed series
COD series

Maybe Witcher 2 or Crysis. Dat Graphics etc.

watershed

Banned
Log4Girlz said:

Gears of War series
Assassin's Creed series
COD series

I think a Mass Effect trilogy could sell on the cafe. I choose this game over Gears or CoD because dudebros are instinctively allergic to Nintendo while people who play Mass Effect are less dudebro more discerning, seasoned gamers who won't run away from a Nintendo console "becuz Nintendo is for kidz!"

apana

Log4Girlz said:

Gears of War series
Assassin's Creed series
COD series

Just Dance HD

Kandinsky said:

I think for me, it's a matter of context. The older I've gotten, the more I've needed a narrative (not even a particularly strong one, but a convincing one) to motivate me into caring about my actions. I had the same problem with TP, I didn't connect with the world or NPCs I was tasked with going on this journey to save from destruction so I felt like I wasn't doing much more than pressing buttons. The "sheer enjoyment" of platforming just doesn't do it for me anymore.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
shadyspace said:
Competely agree with the latter, will never understand the former. PH was the best parts of Majora's Mask and Link's Awakening wrapped up in one oceany package.
I didn't think Phantom Hourglass was bad, but it did feel like I was playing the same game again.

Playing it with Twilight Princess and Spirit Tracks combined is what lowered my overall excitement for the series.

That said, I'm definitely willing to remain open to what they show of Skyward Sword at E3.

Kandinsky said:
Yeah, I got quite far into Galaxy but I never ended up finishing it.

I think difficulty was more my issue than boredom though, since I didn't feel especially challenged and got easily distracted by something else at the time. I should go finish it up sometime though.

shadyspace said:
I think for me, it's a matter of context. The older I've gotten, the more I've needed a narrative (not even a particularly strong one, but a convincing one) to motivate me into caring about my actions. I had the same problem with TP, I didn't connect with the world or NPCs I was tasked with going on this journey to save from destruction so I felt like I wasn't doing much more than pressing buttons. The "sheer enjoyment" of platforming just doesn't do it for me anymore.
Yeah, an entertaining narrative would have helped for me as well.

Log4Girlz said:

Gears of War series
Assassin's Creed series
COD series

I'd love to see all of these on Cafe. Lets add the Elder Scrolls series too.

Penguin

Log4Girlz said:

Gears of War series
Assassin's Creed series
COD series

I don't know if it would sell the console to the masses, I mean there's little reason to buy any of those over the 360 or PS3 version.

It would help balance out the console's library though.

I think they need a high profile exclusive FPS or something with a lead time

GDGF said:
Here's to hoping for an announcement at E3!

Yeah.

Now imagine Skyrim running on Cafe at 1080p 60fps instead of 720p 30fps:

tu7LN.jpg

fP98c.jpg

MI4wr.jpg

e6Xhv.jpg

XK7dD.jpg

kGkrZ.jpg

lhVfa.jpg

jCGzN.jpg

Top Bottom