• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[IGN] Xbox Game Pass Standard Tier Doesn't Include Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, Starfield, Diablo 4, and More

odhiex

Xbox Game Pass Standard, the new basic tier of Microsoft's subscription service which costs $14.99 a month, doesn't include major games such as Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, Starfield, Diablo 4, and much more.

Microsoft announced the revised Game Pass tiers in July and as of September 12 the changes went into place. Xbox Game Pass Ultimate has risen from $16.99 to $19.99 a month and still includes all the typical benefits, but the Xbox Game Pass Standard tier is quite different from its predecessor.

It replaces Game Pass for Console (though those already subscribed don't have to upgrade) and includes significantly less benefits. Subscribers no longer gain access to day one titles or access to EA Play, Xbox Cloud Gaming, perks, Quests, and discounts on games in the Game Pass library. Microsoft said players would also be denied access to "specific entries to the Game Pass Ultimate library," and that list has now been revealed to be fairly extensive.
A total of 41 games are now available only through Game Pass Ultimate for new subscribers, including the aforementioned Modern Warfare 3, Starfield, and Diablo 4 but also Forza Motorsport, MLB: The Show 24, Octopath Traveler 2, Payday 3, Age of Mythology: Retold, and more. The full list is available below, courtesy of ResetEra user vixolus who collated the list.
Players subcscribing to Game Pass Standard therefore have access to 370 games instead of 508, according to the Xbox website. The remaining 96 titles belong to the EA Play library, which is not included in Xbox Game Pass Standard. Players looking to access this additional library of heavy hitters will need to pay $19.99 a month for Ultimate instead of $14.99 a month for Standard.

More in the link: https://www.ign.com/articles/xbox-g...-modern-warfare-3-starfield-diablo-4-and-more

This seems like a push for a higher-tier Game Pass Ultimate, eventually.

Last edited:

Bridges

What doesn't make sense to me is just how much of a better deal pc game pass is. It costs less than standard yet has day 1 releases and contains all the games mentioned in the article.
Microsoft thinks that everyone who owns Xbox who might become a Game Pass subscriber has already subscribed because new users in the ecosystem have more less plateaued, they're not seeing growth there so instead they need to extract more money out of people by raising prices and enticing users to Ultimate.

PC Game Pass on the other hand, has a lot more potential for growth in their eyes. There is a large percentage of PC users who don't subscribe to Game Pass so they still are incentivized to make it as attractive of a deal as possible.

They're giving their userbase the short end of stick because they already have their money. If GP adoption was much higher on PC than it was on Xbox we'd be seeing the opposite.

odhiex

What doesn't make sense to me is just how much of a better deal pc game pass is. It costs less than standard yet has day 1 releases and contains all the games mentioned in the article.
Maybe Microsoft still saw that the number of PC Gamepass subscribers is growing, so it needs a bigger push.

Meanwhile, Console Gamepass has (presumably) reached its potential subscribers. This is just a speculation, we don't know the actual numbers since Microsoft doesn't publically share those.

Last edited:

Ashamam

Migration strategy. Shift console users to PC, simple as that. You can bet the next Xbox will just run the PC version of games, there will be no console version. They'll probably just mandate a 'console' preset for settings that defaults if you are running on a so called 'Xbox'.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The Xbox standard.
clever girl GIF

Cakeboxer

They should have done one thing from the start no matter the tier: No AAA games on release
Game Pass should've gotten them after the first year and Ultimate after 3 months.

So people wouldn't have stopped buying games. I was a Game Pass fan until i realized i have no more appreciation for games and ended up not playing most of them at all and not because i didn't like the selection or the games. I even waited and bought some games after they left Game Pass. Glad my subscription ends 2025.

as long as you think of it as $20 to play a new release you're interested in for a month, game pass's still acceptable, imo. of course, the problem then is waiting for a new release you're interested in...

Sintoid

Time to put money for your games, gamers
Industry starting being tired of giving free stuff to attract you

Last edited:
Yeah for sure, currently I'm only using PC Game Pass. But they gotta fix the app and the downloads it's absolutely crazy how it is.

Life Diff

Microsoft often overlooks PC gaming performance though. Digital Foundary spoke about the Forza issues and speaking from my own experience, Doom Eternal on gamepass crashed multiple times due to DLSS but my steam version seems to have none of these issues 🤷

peish

Gamepass PC is our last hope. I will uninstall their rewards app once MS stop giving us "free" gamepass.

Techincally it is not free, i have to tap-in daily on their reward apps! I deserves those free gamepass games.....

Gamepass rip 2017 - 202?

SHA

Microsoft thinks that everyone who owns Xbox who might become a Game Pass subscriber has already subscribed because new users in the ecosystem have more less plateaued, they're not seeing growth there so instead they need to extract more money out of people by raising prices and enticing users to Ultimate.

PC Game Pass on the other hand, has a lot more potential for growth in their eyes. There is a large percentage of PC users who don't subscribe to Game Pass so they still are incentivized to make it as attractive of a deal as possible.

They're giving their userbase the short end of stick because they already have their money. If GP adoption was much higher on PC than it was on Xbox we'd be seeing the opposite.
Could they convince that huge number in the pc community? I highly doubt they could,

Last edited:
The chickens have finally come home to roost, while this will be viewed as sucky for some, this is probably needed to keep GamePass healthy (dollar wise).

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™

I agree with your assessment, but with one caveat.

I think when Microsoft launches their next "xbox" which will be a PC, they'll unify around pricing.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
No outrage from the bought media and shills.
Most of the media outrage is usually sponsored. The campaign against the "expensive" PS5 Pro also seems to be funded. HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 also said that money is being poured out for an anti-PS5-Pro campaign.

And if companies like Sony isn't sponsoring these campaigns against Game Pass, the media shills have no reason to write about these.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Most of the media outrage is usually sponsored. The campaign against the "expensive" PS5 Pro also seems to be funded. HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 also said that money is being poured out for an anti-PS5-Pro campaign.

Oh please! Why would any competitor actually spend money to disrupt the launch of a niche product? It makes zero sense.

Stop looking for conspiracies and just put it down to the usual motivations; self-serving attention grabbing, insecure platform loyalists reacting to perceived threats to their platform of choice, and good old fashioned ignorance and entitlement!

Sorry, but the general level of discourse around gaming on the internet is still as atrocious as it ever was, for the most part. When people hold up outlets like DF as bastions of intelligent reportage despite years of evidence demonstrating the opposite to be true, you have to accept its fucking clownworld out there.

Top Bottom