• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[IGN] Xbox Game Pass Standard Tier Doesn't Include Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, Starfield, Diablo 4, and More

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
It's a fine deal on PC, although I gotta admit, it's been a few months since I last played anything via GP.

Might just unsubscribe.

Cyberpunkd

Seems like best path is pc gamepass, paying for months as needed, I.e one month for new cod "rental" etc
Star Wars Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

diffusionx

Gold Member
Where is that dude on here that claimed that Microsoft charging the same amount of money for a subscription that takes away games, and then adding those games to a higher priced tier, isn't a price increase?

NickFire

Those are some rather significant omissions IMO, especially the (now) first party stuff. I think its kind of shady for them to have retired the legacy plans after everything said when the acquisition was being reviewed. But I think they just laid the foundation to convert those legacy plans to Ultimate subs. As soon as someone upgrades to play online they won't be able to drop back down to the legacy plan, right? If so, I can't see anyone going from a legacy plan to Ultimate and then to this.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Oh please! Why would any competitor actually spend money to disrupt the launch of a niche product? It makes zero sense.

Stop looking for conspiracies and just put it down to the usual motivations; self-serving attention grabbing, insecure platform loyalists reacting to perceived threats to their platform of choice, and good old fashioned ignorance and entitlement!

Sorry, but the general level of discourse around gaming on the internet is still as atrocious as it ever was, for the most part. When people hold up outlets like DF as bastions of intelligent reportage despite years of evidence demonstrating the opposite to be true, you have to accept its fucking clownworld out there.
Engagement and clicks are definitely one of the main things. But anti-competitor funding also happens more often than you think.

Funnily enough, Microsoft has been a part of such campaigns multiple times in the past.

krJefot.jpeg

hpONRyX.jpeg

El Muerto

Gold Member
Microsoft is just throwing shit at a wall and seeing what sticks. These plans dont make any sense. Hopefully they figure it out later and simplify things before my GPU expires.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Engagement and clicks are definitely one of the main things. But anti-competitor funding also happens more often than you think.

Funnily enough, Microsoft has been a part of such campaigns multiple times in the past.

krJefot.jpeg

hpONRyX.jpeg

It happens, its absolutely happened in the past, no doubt. Its just in this particular instance I highly doubt astroturfing is justified.

There's just insufficient incentive to fund it; The Pro isn't going to shift the competitive landscape to any significant degree.

demigod

Oh please! Why would any competitor actually spend money to disrupt the launch of a niche product? It makes zero sense.

Stop looking for conspiracies and just put it down to the usual motivations; self-serving attention grabbing, insecure platform loyalists reacting to perceived threats to their platform of choice, and good old fashioned ignorance and entitlement!

Sorry, but the general level of discourse around gaming on the internet is still as atrocious as it ever was, for the most part. When people hold up outlets like DF as bastions of intelligent reportage despite years of evidence demonstrating the opposite to be true, you have to accept its fucking clownworld out there.
Do you think Florian was a conspiracy too? I would say they spent funds on these shills right before the current gen, sometime back in 2019. How far do you have it at HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 ?

Nydius

Yep! And this Gamepass Standard isn't really Gamepass. It's some other type of service.

By taking away games, “Game Pass Standard” is really just “Game Pass Core+”. The exact same benefits of Core only with a slightly larger curated list of available games plus the vague promise of adding more, newer, games on the service at a later date. Maybe.

No, it's not. It's the same stupid rental system that locks you into paying a subscription for as long as possible. You rent everything, you own nothing.
And what's wrong with that? I replay about 1% of my owned library, there's nothing wrong with a subscription to play a game I probably wouldn't have bought anyway.

And if I want to buy a game I've been playing via GP, I can with an automatic 10% discount.

I care less and less about ownership these days, can't even legally bequeath a digital library to someone when you die!

Cyberpunkd

, there's nothing wrong with a subscription to play a game I probably wouldn't have bought anyway.
PlayStation was of the opinion that subscription services with Day 1 exclusives are value destroying - where’s Xbox and Playstation now?

Xbox players don’t buy games anymore, they have been conditioned to just get them on GP. Same with social media users - the are unable to concentrate for longer period of time since they are too stimulated with content.
You don’t see how that is ultimately dangerous for gaming? What are you left with? F2P gacha where you get to bite-sized action immediately.

You don’t see how that is ultimately dangerous for gaming? What are you left with? F2P gacha where you get to bite-sized action immediately.
Games like Starfield and FH5 still charted at #1 despite launching on Game Pass, I haven't seen anything but anecdotal "evidence" from people on message boards to prove Xbox gamers don't buy games, and I don't think random C-tier drops by Square Enix validates that, either.

Ozriel

M$FT
By taking away games, “Game Pass Standard” is really just “Game Pass Core+”. The exact same benefits of Core only with a slightly larger curated list of available games plus the vague promise of adding more, newer, games on the service at a later date. Maybe.

So basically a service that’s pretty much an analogue of PS Plus Extra.

Xbox players don’t buy games anymore, they have been conditioned to just get them on GP.

“Repeat a lie often enough and people will come to believe it”

Games like Starfield and FH5 still charted at #1 despite launching on Game Pass, I haven't seen anything but anecdotal "evidence" from people on message boards to prove Xbox gamers don't buy games, and I don't think random C-tier drops by Square Enix validates that, either.
Wasn't starfield's impact( of which sales are part of) souch lower than expected that Xbox went full third party?

Also, don't know about others, but from what I recall, Xbox has pretty low market share for each multiplatform game in terms of units sold.

Nydius

Ozriel

M$FT
“Anecdotal evidence” like *checks notes* Microsoft themselves in their CMA filings?

Microsoft confirms Game Pass cannibalizes sales (GameIndustry.biz)

You should change your name to Little Ostrich to better reflect how much you have your head buried in the sand.

That certainly doesn’t make the point you think it does. Of course people who have specifically paid for a sub service for day 1 games would get the games via that service.

Your argument is that Xbox gamers won’t buy games if it isn’t on a service. And yet AAA games from EA, Ubisoft, Capcom et al that aren’t on the service continue to sell on the console. Relative to its smaller userbase, of course.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Do you think Florian was a conspiracy too? I would say they spent funds on these shills right before the current gen, sometime back in 2019. How far do you have it at HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 ?

At platform launches, absolutely. MS were astroturfing as far back as OG Xbox, and don't get me started on the way they've positioned marketers like Brad Sams as pseudo-journalists!

clarky

Gold Member
The last 2 months have been pretty shit tbh
I'm mainly subbed for the big ticket games and apart from starfield (personally of course) they have failed to deliver for a lot longer than that. Looking at it the other way they saved me a ton by not having wasted money on Forza, HB & Redfall.

I even pre ordered COD on Steam this year, fuck dealing with regular updates on the windows store. I've got around 8 months to run, its getting cancelled unless something changes drastically.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
I suspect they will put the previous Cod on there once the newest has been released.
I don't think so. They want everyone playing the current one for the MTX. Releasing the old ones would cost them too much. i wouldnt be surprised if they took MWIII off the service come BLOPS6

Topher

Gold Member
it because nobody is using it, if they had any meaningful userbase there, they'd sure fuck them over as well

Pretty much. They are not the only ones who have tried to take on Steam and failed, ironically on their own Windows platform. But I'll gladly take my MS rewards points and put them towards PC Game Pass now since that has become the best deal in Game Pass. Xbox console gamers are an afterthought at Microsoft, sad to say.

Superkewl

Time to put money for your games, gamers
Industry starting being tired of giving free stuff to attract you
I've been off gamepass for like 6 months now and it's working out fine. It has pretty much forced me to tackle my backlog and only spend when I am absolutely certain about something

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
I don't think so. They want everyone playing the current one for the MTX. Releasing the old ones would cost them too much. i wouldnt be surprised if they took MWIII off the service come BLOPS6

Not sure I agree with this...people could always choose not to buy the latest cod and choose to play an older one. If anything the barrier/friction to playing the latest Cod is even lower now.

clarky

Gold Member
Not sure I agree with this...people could always choose not to buy the latest cod and choose to play an older one. If anything the barrier/friction to playing the latest Cod is even lower now.
You'd need to buy them though. If they are all on game pass nothing stopping me and my pals playing OG MW or whatever. Or playing all the campaigns in order from the start. They don't want you doing that.

demigod

So basically a service that’s pretty much an analogue of PS Plus Extra.

“Repeat a lie often enough and people will come to believe it”
When did Sony promised day 1 games on their service? Meanwhile MS has and continues to plaster day 1 on game pass as seen below. Keep stanning for that trillion dollar company tho. They need y’all when they go 3rd party.
From the latest trailer, after tiers were adjusted:

NohDOS5.jpeg

So you get the game on any tier of GAME PASS, right?

Top Bottom