• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[IGN] Xbox Game Pass Standard Tier Doesn't Include Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, Starfield, Diablo 4, and More

Ozriel

M$FT
When did Sony promised day 1 games on their service? Meanwhile MS has and continues to plaster day 1 on game pass as seen below. Keep stanning for that trillion dollar company tho. They need y’all when they go 3rd party.

Shall I now be burdened with teaching you basic comprehension?

GamePass Standard is a new product offering, and in price and features, it seems a near analogue to PS Plus Extra. Day 1 AAA games were never promised on GamePass Standard.

Keep wailing about an optional product and service you don’t use. As for me, the $140 ish I paid for 3 years of GamePass Ultimate works out quite well for me…and I’ll continue to get Day 1 games there.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
It's a dumb thing having this

My guess is that in a year they will change again

Will have one with just Microsoft and indie games, then you can buy packages like you can buy Max at Prime Video - 10 or 15 more for AB, 10 for Bethesda... And a Premium Ultimate gold platinum whatever deal with everything will be also a option

namenotfound

Neo Member
What doesn't make sense to me is just how much of a better deal pc game pass is. It costs less than standard yet has day 1 releases and contains all the games mentioned in the article
Harder to sell on PC when there isn't a need for GamePass Core because GFWL Gold never took off. Plus game bundles like off Fanatical and Humble Bundle. GamePass Standard price of $15 an month over 5 years is $900. Someone that spent $180 a year on games on sale would have a big library after 5 years. A library way more specific to a person's taste than GamePass

Plus on Xbox hard to not see GamePass advertisements. PC I'd guess that most pc gamers don't open the Xbox app even once a month. My GamePass sub expired in February and I think since I've only opened the Xbox app on accident

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
It happens, its absolutely happened in the past, no doubt. Its just in this particular instance I highly doubt astroturfing is justified.

There's just insufficient incentive to fund it; The Pro isn't going to shift the competitive landscape to any significant degree.
If Xbox is indeed planning to launch a next-gen console next year for, say, $800, it is VERY MUCH worth it for them to stop people from spending their money on a PS5 Pro just a year before that. People won't buy 2 consoles in 2 years.

Saying $700 is expensive will also help them with their own expensive price tag of $800 as that will be "next-gen." "$700 for old-gen is expensive; $800 for next-gen is fine."

Ozriel

M$FT
If Xbox is indeed planning to launch a next-gen console next year for, say, $800, it is VERY MUCH worth it for them to stop people from spending their money on a PS5 Pro just a year before that. People won't buy 2 consoles in 2 years.

Saying $700 is expensive will also help them with their own expensive price tag of $800 as that will be "next-gen." "$700 for old-gen is expensive; $800 for next-gen is fine."

That would be quite the campaign from a company about to sell a $599 2TB Series X, wouldn’t it? 🤣

Always Sunny Reaction GIF

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It's a dumb thing having this

My guess is that in a year they will change again

I think they should change it asap. As it stands, there are too many tiers and the Core and Standard offer virtually the same things minus just one or two thing separating them. They should be a single console tier.

I would structure GP like this:
PC Game Pass - Console Game Pass - Ultimate Game Pass

(with Console retaining both the Core and Standard features)

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

After a decade's worth of endless fuckery, who's going to buy an ultra expensive piece of Xbox gaming hardware?

That being said I don't put it past them trying (and failing, again) as it's become abundantly clear to me over the past couple of years that MS is clueless about their gaming audience!

The simple reality is that MS dev-pipeline cannot sustain another level SKU in 2025. It isn't happening without them taking an axe to their existing line-up. What's worse is that it needs to fit into their cloud back-end somehow - a huge deal that is rarely discussed because it isn't an obvious thing from the consumer side.

I'd say 2026 at the earliest, and it will involve a shift away from x86/x64 to ARM. They need volume, and especially given the way the economic winds are blowing that means going lower price-point, not higher. Sure they might offer a modified PC with Xbox branding, maybe specced out to third-parties MSX style, but I really cannot see that being the mass-market offer.

GamePass/XCloud is what they've bet the farm on, and whatever hardware strategy they employ going forwards turns out to be, that's the "master" it needs to serve. Their current adventures in multi-platform publishing are just a holdover tactic while they get that on its feet.

Xbox is mainly a legacy content library at this point, so the long term goal is going to be just maintaining it as a monetizable product for their service offer.

Their "future" is: (1) ALL Digital, (2) Largely service based, and (3) Hardware agnostic. So how does expensive hardware fit into that? Its actually the antithesis of what they want.

They should have done one thing from the start no matter the tier: No AAA games on release
Game Pass should've gotten them after the first year and Ultimate after 3 months.

So people wouldn't have stopped buying games. I was a Game Pass fan until i realized i have no more appreciation for games and ended up not playing most of them at all and not because i didn't like the selection or the games. I even waited and bought some games after they left Game Pass. Glad my subscription ends 2025.
It devalued games for me, I just ended up dipping in and out of games instead of playing them through like I used to when I had paid and wanted to get my money's worth

Brucey

It's too late for a hail Mary strategy like the Xbox one X (announce 18 months before launch to try and affect PS4 pro sales).

Mother Microsoft's teats have run dry. Hardware is not Microsoft's core competence and doesn't generate the profit margin of their other divisions.

clarky

Gold Member

I dont follow.

Are you suggesting MS are the reason we all think the Pro is expensive? And thats to butter us up so we won't think their more expensive next box is actually that expensive?

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I dont follow.

Are you suggesting MS are the reason we all think the Pro is expensive? And thats to butter us up so we won't think their more expensive next box is actually that expensive?
I'm referring to the other Heisenberg's comment that the media is being paid a lot of money to talk negatively about the PS5 Pro.

Based on that, I'm just theorizing why they could be doing it.

Brucey

I'm referring to the other Heisenberg's comment that the media is being paid a lot of money to talk negatively about the PS5 Pro.

Based on that, I'm just theorizing why they could be doing it.
If the paid shills weren't allowed to talk about Xbox during the period where they were firing hundreds of employees, might as well redirect their efforts towards how "outrageous" the PS5 Pro pricing is. Ultimately it doesn't matter that they have a 2tb series x with disc drive for $599, I doubt they are expecting many sales of that unit except to the hardest core Xbox fanboys as the whole console experiment implodes in slow motion

Arachnid

What doesn't make sense to me is just how much of a better deal pc game pass is. It costs less than standard yet has day 1 releases and contains all the games mentioned in the article.
Because they know a solid portion of PC players won't hesitate to wait years for games to come to steam for cheap or straight up pirate. They're the fuk around and find out crowd. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Nydius

Still no actual evidence that Xbox owners don't buy games

Except the documentation by Microsoft themselves that I posted earlier that you conveniently continue to ignore. How much more evidence do you need than your Corporate Lord and Savior telling you that Game Pass eats sales for a year or more?

You’ve blown past “shill” and gone straight to “full retard”.

vxB11gB.gif

That would be quite the campaign from a company about to sell a $599 2TB Series X, wouldn’t it? 🤣

Always Sunny Reaction GIF
Yeah that's why I'm just confused on how they will go about doing this. If Heisenberg says he heard it I 100% believe it's true and that will be what MS tries to do but how will they be able to do something that provides a big enough gap in performance to call it next gen so soon and even at $800?

Last edited:
Still no actual evidence that Xbox owners don't buy games, just people whining the Game Pass exists because it's an Xbox thing and Sony can't compete with it :lollipop_baby_angel:
Look at game sales breakdowns, obviously the much smaller customer base doesn't help but even their first party games drop out of the Circana top 10 after one month and out of the top 20 completely after two months. If gamepass wasn't a thing those games would hang around much longer, maybe not in the top 10 but the top 20. The ONLY first party game they've released this gen that was in the NPD (that's what it was called at the time) top 20 for more than 2 months was FH5, it hung on for 3 months before exiting.

Ozriel

M$FT
Look at game sales breakdowns, obviously the much smaller customer base doesn't help but even their first party games drop out of the Circana top 10 after one month and out of the top 20 completely after two months. If gamepass wasn't a thing those games would hang around much longer, maybe not in the top 10 but the top 20. The ONLY first party game they've released this gen that was in the NPD (that's what it was called at the time) top 20 for more than 2 months was FH5, it hung on for 3 months before exiting.

If you were trying to prove that Xbox gamers don’t buy games, using the performance of first party games doesn’t make sense, since those are heavily impacted by GP subs.

Are gamers on Xbox not buying Assassins Creed games? FIFA/FC? COD? Resident Evil games?

If you were trying to prove that Xbox gamers don’t buy games, using the performance of first party games doesn’t make sense, since those are heavily impacted by GP subs.

Are gamers on Xbox not buying Assassins Creed games? FIFA/FC? COD? Resident Evil games?
That's the point lol they are trained to not buy them. Look at the sales breakdowns when they are given, xbox versions of games sell far fewer copies.

Ozriel

M$FT
That's the point lol they are trained to not buy them. Look at the sales breakdowns when they are given, xbox versions of games sell far fewer copies.

I see. And you’ve normalized these sales with the relative install base and (in some cases) the genre?

Because otherwise, this is meaningless data. If you’re comparing absolute sales numbers in the EU when the install base ratio is something like 10:1, you’re already screwing up your analysis.

They are putting their games on their biggest rival's console, what more evidence than that do you need?
Microsoft:
Making Money GIF by The Roku Channel

Everyone's talking about how putting games on gamepass is somehow not going to make them money and why it wont "increase the xbox userbase", cannabises sales and how their games are shit.

But suddenly when those same "shit" games are coming to the PS or another ecosystem, its suddenly a bad thing for xbox gaming in general?

Bruh, if you have an xbox or PC and buy the game (taking MS studios ofc) - MS makes money.
if you have an xbox and get Gamepass - MS makes money.

If you have a PS and you buy said game -MS makes money
If you have a switch and said game comes to it and doesn't make your switch explode: MS Makes money.

I as a consumer give 0 fucks if a trillion dollar corporation has to shell millions to get games onto its game service.
I as a consumer know full well (or should look into it and do my own research) if i want to buy a game outrght, play it on Gamepass or buy it on PS, PC, or atari.
I as a consumer only care where i can purchase/play/ own/ rent, etc said game. If the end results get me a game, why do i care about how the game got there when the end result is that i am playing the game i want.

Phil Spencer has literally said, at this stage having exclusives aint gonna move the needle on xbox sales and hardware alone. They would rather focus and prioritize making money off the games and services.

At the end of the day, MS will make money someway, and i will get to play the game with my choice on what ever console and service i want. How is this a bad thing for me?
Why do i give 2 shits if microsoft puts games onto another platform?

Have i as a consumer suddenly lost the ability to make a choice?

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Except the documentation by Microsoft themselves that I posted earlier that you conveniently continue to ignore. How much more evidence do you need than your Corporate Lord and Savior telling you that Game Pass eats sales for a year or more?

You’ve blown past “shill” and gone straight to “full retard”.

vxB11gB.gif

And it was pointed out to you that it made absolutely no sense to use the retail performance of games that are on GamePass to make this claim.

Common sense should tell you that you're supposed to be trying to show this with games that aren't on the service. But alas...

Last edited:

Ebrietas

Neo Member
I see. And you’ve normalized these sales with the relative install base and (in some cases) the genre?

Because otherwise, this is meaningless data. If you’re comparing absolute sales numbers in the EU when the install base ratio is something like 10:1, you’re already screwing up your analysis.
This can’t be a real post

Brucey

Are you saying the PS5 has outsold the Xbox series 10:1 in UK? I've heard of that mentioned in parts of continental Europe, perhaps Spain, Portugal etc, but I didn't think it that bad in UK which has always been an Xbox 360 stronghold.

Ozriel

M$FT
This can’t be a real post

The irony.

Are you saying the PS5 has outsold the Xbox series 10:1 in UK? I've heard of that mentioned in parts of continental Europe, perhaps Spain, Portugal etc, but I didn't think it that bad in UK which has always been an Xbox 360 stronghold.

I said the EU. 'EU' =/= 'UK'

Spain, Portugal, France, Netherlands, Germany etc are in the EU.

Last edited:
Still no actual evidence that Xbox owners don't buy games, just people whining the Game Pass exists because it's an Xbox thing and Sony can't compete with it :lollipop_baby_angel:

Dave Chapelle GIF by MOODMAN

Papa_Wisdom

Trained? What are you talking about?
just to state I main Xbox mainly (don’t have a ps5) just bought resi evil 4 and armoured core on disk.

Also just bought ninja Gaiden black, 2 and 3, otogi 1 & 2 panzer dragoon Orta,, borderlands upgrade so I got all the borderlands game 1,2,3 Pre sequel, tales from the borderlands, dead rising, burnout revenge

I know I’m in the minority here on gaf as a green rat who mainly mains Xbox but I’d be more than happy if their next hardware offering is basically a pic with a duel boot Xbox os front end (which I’ve said before it would be) best of both worlds in relation to me keeping my catalogue of games I’ve accrued in my Xbox library and having the prospect of getting rid my Alienware alpha r2 which I use as an emulation machine and the benefits of obtaining games not released on Xbox all in one place.

As much as I’d like a ps5 I can’t justify buying for the sake of stellar blade and Astro bot PSVR 2 would have been a tipping point for me but as of now it’s pretty much d.o.a

I don’t subscribe to gamepass and pretty much but games when their sun £25 anyway so the service doesn’t really appeal to me but I do buy games in the Xbox eco system

Last edited:

Papa_Wisdom

Microsoft:
Making Money GIF by The Roku Channel

Everyone's talking about how putting games on gamepass is somehow not going to make them money and why it wont "increase the xbox userbase", cannabises sales and how their games are shit.

But suddenly when those same "shit" games are coming to the PS or another ecosystem, its suddenly a bad thing for xbox gaming in general?

Bruh, if you have an xbox or PC and buy the game (taking MS studios ofc) - MS makes money.
if you have an xbox and get Gamepass - MS makes money.

If you have a PS and you buy said game -MS makes money
If you have a switch and said game comes to it and doesn't make your switch explode: MS Makes money.

I as a consumer give 0 fucks if a trillion dollar corporation has to shell millions to get games onto its game service.
I as a consumer know full well (or should look into it and do my own research) if i want to buy a game outrght, play it on Gamepass or buy it on PS, PC, or atari.
I as a consumer only care where i can purchase/play/ own/ rent, etc said game. If the end results get me a game, why do i care about how the game got there when the end result is that i am playing the game i want.

Phil Spencer has literally said, at this stage having exclusives aint gonna move the needle on xbox sales and hardware alone. They would rather focus and prioritize making money off the games and services.

At the end of the day, MS will make money someway, and i will get to play the game with my choice on what ever console and service i want. How is this a bad thing for me?
Why do i give 2 shits if microsoft puts games onto another platform?

Have i as a consumer suddenly lost the ability to make a choice?
I’m in the same boat as I’ve just replied to a another post, i main Xbox and have done since the og Xbox this was my reply as I still buy games and don’t subscribe to gamepass:

just to state I main Xbox mainly (don’t have a ps5) just bought resi evil 4 and armoured core on disk.

Also just bought ninja Gaiden black, 2 and 3, otogi 1 & 2 panzer dragoon Orta,, borderlands upgrade so I got all the borderlands game 1,2,3 Pre sequel, tales from the borderlands, dead rising, burnout revenge

I know I’m in the minority here on gaf as a green rat who mainly mains Xbox but I’d be more than happy if their next hardware offering is basically a pic with a duel boot Xbox os front end (which I’ve said before it would be) best of both worlds in relation to me keeping my catalogue of games I’ve accrued in my Xbox library and having the prospect of getting rid my Alienware alpha r2 which I use as an emulation machine and the benefits of obtaining games not released on Xbox all in one place.

As much as I’d like a ps5 I can’t justify buying for the sake of stellar blade and Astro bot PSVR 2 would have been a tipping point for me but as of now it’s pretty much d.o.a

I don’t subscribe to gamepass and pretty much buy games when there sub £25 anyway so the service doesn’t really appeal to me but I do buy games in the Xbox eco system

I give 0 fucks of ms port games to other platforms, I’ve always bought PlayStation at the end of the gens and picked up exclusives for cheap.

So far this gen (on both Xbox and ps have been a massive let down) I can’t justify buying a PlayStation for literally a few exclusives that have been released so far (Stellar blade and Astrobot)

If next gen Xbox is basically a pc with a duel boot option of Xbox os so
I can keep my library of games and steam (and hopefully a pc like experience so I can have you emulation) I’m all in on for that experience. Can finally get rid of my Alienware alpha.

Last edited:
Microsoft should license a few cheap movies people could stream each month with gamepass. Sort of a games service with a cheap streaming service included. Could be a very minimal expense but make the lower tier, especially, more attractive.

Top Bottom