• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ikaruga (PC) |OT| Even though the resolution is high, I never give in.

Knurek

I ripped the Dreamcast version to my PC myself ages ago. Unpacked, the game data comes out to 35.2 MB plus an extra 11.2 MB for the bonus content (wallpapers) on the CD data track.

PC version wouldn't be much larger if they didn't need 160MB for streamed music tracks.
Dreamcast/Naomi versions are sequenced (MIDI+Samples) and total to, uhh, 0.5MB for all tracks.

El Phenicks

Neo Member
This game is just so hard ... even in free play training there are moments where I can't really see a way to survive the incredible barrages of crap they throw at me. That and this game is unplayable without glasses. It's a shame I can't play this on my office's rotating monitor :(

I ripped the Dreamcast version to my PC myself ages ago. Unpacked, the game data comes out to 35.2 MB plus an extra 11.2 MB for the bonus content (wallpapers) on the CD data track.

I remember hearing Radiant Silvergun is like 8MB as well. The music employed programed instrumentation rather than pre-recorded audio, so that keeps the filesize small.

epmode

I remember hearing Radiant Silvergun is like 8MB as well. The music employed programed instrumentation rather than pre-recorded audio, so that keeps the filesize small.

Radiant Silvergun has an anime intro and voice acting so there's no chance it's 8MB. Maybe if you ripped out the arcade mode.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Saturn RSG is:
9.36 MB for game data
124 MB for FMV (Cinepak)
92.2 MB for music (redbook CD audio)
13.9 MB for bonus PC art
10.7 MB for the STV folder (presumably just the arcade version files)

Shaneus

I believe that was one of the Saturn's strongest points. Had some fantastic sound processor in it (I believe a Yamaha) but because of the CD format, lazy devs were just redbooking it the whole way. From memory, Nights utilised it, but I didn't think RSG did because when I downloaded it over dialup (I shit you not) it was closer to 90-100MB, majority of which was MP3s. I didn't notice any composed/"live" audio in it at all.

Knurek

I believe that was one of the Saturn's strongest points. Had some fantastic sound processor in it (I believe a Yamaha) but because of the CD format, lazy devs were just redbooking it the whole way. From memory, Nights utilised it, but I didn't think RSG did because when I downloaded it over dialup (I shit you not) it was closer to 90-100MB, majority of which was MP3s. I didn't notice any composed/"live" audio in it at all.

Sure enough, RSG uses sequenced music

Playable with this Winamp/Foobar plugin pack

How would I go about this? I can only go as low as 1.

capturejwst5.png

Seconding this question, same issue.

tsab

I'm a little disappointed that you cannot launch it if steam is in offline mode. Surely a bug and not DRM right?

RIGHT?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'm a little disappointed that you cannot launch it if steam is in offline mode. Surely a bug and not DRM right?

RIGHT?

Possibly. Someone should hassle JP/Platinum's PR dude to talk to Treasure about that since they had a similar "bug" with Rising.

I didn't even think about Steam GAF friends. Add me on Steam - SkyTurnsRed (I should come up as Portmanteau if you search by Sky). PM me or quote me and I'll add you after work. I want people to chase after, score wise.

Deques

I didn't even think about Steam GAF friends. Add me on Steam - SkyTurnsRed (I should come up as Portmanteau if you search by Sky). PM me or quote me and I'll add you after work. I want people to chase after, score wise.

Added you. If you beat my high score I will delete you :p

Sixfortyfive

Pft, I just played a quick and rusty run through stage 1 then quit. Give me some time to finish updating my B/S/T inventory and you'll (not?) regret when I get back on the grind.

The XBLA achievements motivated me to finally A-rank the whole game for once. Will the Steam achievements push me to S++? We'll see...

ksan

Wonder why there isn't a conquest/practice mode in this version.
Cause I have a really hard time with the mini-boss/boss part of chapter 3 and I've pretty much fully practiced my chaining pattern for now =(

Sixfortyfive

The Gamecube version is the only one with the extra training mode that breaks every stage down into smaller parts.

While that was good when it came to just learning enemy patterns, it had limited utility for score practice because you couldn't adjust the level of meter that you started with.

McNum

Ooh, progress. I can almost make it through level 1 without needing a continue. Almost. Got beaten by the boss. I'm figuring the way to get good at the game is simply to learn the enemy patterns. If you need to react, you're too slow.

Also, I rebound the controller. B is bomb. It has to be. Too much Star Fox muscle memory messing my up. Meaning, of course, L and R trigger is roll, in this case Polarity Shift.

Switching between TE-Stick+Xpadder and normal X360 controller, the Xpadder solution does seem to introduce additional input lag for me. I don't really want to play this with a controller, but this sucks...
Hmm, I'm comparing an emulated 360 pad (DS3 via motioninjoy) vs my PS3 stick via joy2key and I can't tell if I'm getting input lag from joy2key or if it's the extra motion of the stick that makes the game feel laggy / unresponsive. I'm leaning towards the problem being the stick motion though...

Game is still hot though!

Tain

Hmm, I'm comparing an emulated 360 pad (DS3 via motioninjoy) vs my PS3 stick via joy2key and I can't tell if I'm getting input lag from joy2key or if it's the extra motion of the stick that makes the game feel laggy / unresponsive. I'm leaning towards the problem being the stick motion though...

Game is still hot though!

joy2key only polls controllers at 30fps, I think, unless you put it in "2x processing mode" or something like that. It adds a tiny bit of delay regardless.

mdsfx

Oh the memories. Already A-ranking stage 1 again. Still need to get S rank

Edit: Gah, analog support? Not sure if that helps or hurts. Seems to make negotiating tight spaces or perfect vertical/horizontal movements much harder. Sticking with the dpad or arcade stick...

joy2key only polls controllers at 30fps, I think, unless you put it in "2x processing mode" or something like that. It adds a tiny bit of delay regardless.
Ah thanks!

I'll mess around with the processing speed stuff to see if it feels better. Otherwise I'll just stick with motioninjoy. :(

NIN90

Alright getting slowly better at this. Can do perfect runs on the first 2 sections of Chapter 1 pretty reliably now (not dropping the chain, destroying all ships and the whole shebang).
I'm now at 1.1mil for this chapter.

Here's my profile if you guys want to add me: http://steamcommunity.com/id/NIN5/

Shaneus

Yeah, I'd have thought you guys would pick up on the fact that if you use a plugin to remap controller buttons, it'd introduce lag. Maybe see if there's a hardware adapter that'd better suit your needs, or if you already have a stick, something like this :)

Nzyme32

Can't believe how terrible I've gotten over the years.

On another note, anyone know how to extract the artwork from the game, or am I going to have to time my screenshots so that "press start" disappears?

Also the trading cards should have more of Yasushi Suzuki's artwork!

mannerbot

Can't believe how terrible I've gotten over the years.

On another note, anyone know how to extract the artwork from the game, or am I going to have to time my screenshots so that "press start" disappears?

Also the trading cards should have more of Yasushi Suzuki's artwork!

This post just reminded me that now might be a good time to try to sell my sealed copy of The Art of Yasushi Suzuki.

Sixfortyfive

Following up on this, anyone?
I doubt it makes that much of a difference as long as you pick the lowest setting. 0 might mean "default" instead of "0" anyway.

This post just reminded me that now might be a good time to try to sell my sealed copy of The Art of Yasushi Suzuki.
I wonder if buying 2 of those a long time ago is going to pay off... Need to double-check Amazon prices.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So just PS3 sticks don't work?

Why would they? They don't have official PC drivers. Unless you use the 360 Wrapper like the DS3's, which is hit-and-miss with PS3 peripherals.

If you're wanting PC support, you need to go X-box or bust for 100% sure-thing in regards to sticks/controllers.

catabarez

Why would they? They don't have official PC drivers. Unless you use the 360 Wrapper like the DS3's, which is hit-and-miss with PS3 peripherals.

If you're wanting PC support, you need to go X-box or bust for 100% sure-thing in regards to sticks/controllers.

What? Every game I have tried with my stick worked. It is a PS3/PC controller, it acts as a Dinput controller when plugged into the PC.

Edit: What I should have said was that dinput is not supported.

mdsfx

Ugh, I have stage 1 down pretty well with a 74 chain all the way through. Level 2 gets pretty hairy and i drop chains here and there. Level 3? Pure pain.

XHoFGAc.png

Top Bottom