• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Immigration hardliner says Trump team preparing mulling Muslim registry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beefy

By Mica Rosenberg and Julia Edwards Ainsley | NEW YORK/WASHINGTON
An architect of anti-immigration efforts who says he is advising President-elect Donald Trump said the new administration could push ahead rapidly on construction of a U.S.-Mexico border wall without seeking immediate congressional approval.

Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach, who helped write tough immigration laws in Arizona and elsewhere, said in an interview that Trump's policy advisers had also discussed drafting a proposal for his consideration to reinstate a registry for immigrants from Muslim countries.

Kobach, who media reports say is a key member of Trump's transition team, said he had participated in regular conference calls with about a dozen Trump immigration advisers for the past two to three months.

Trump's transition team did not respond to requests for confirmation of Kobach's role. The president-elect has not committed to following any specific recommendations from advisory groups.

Trump, who scored an upset victory last week over Democrat Hillary Clinton, made building a wall on the U.S.-Mexico border a central issue of his campaign and has pledged to step up immigration enforcement against the country’s 11 million undocumented immigrants. He has also said he supports “extreme vetting” of Muslims entering the United States as a national security measure.

Kobach told Reuters last Friday that the immigration group had discussed drafting executive orders for the president-elect's review "so that Trump and the Department of Homeland Security hit the ground running."

To implement Trump's call for "extreme vetting" of some Muslim immigrants, Kobach said the immigration policy group could recommend the reinstatement of a national registry of immigrants and visitors who enter the United States on visas from countries where extremist organizations are active.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...c72a&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

Ra\/en

Maybe after that he will make them wear badges on their clothing, perhaps a star or moon? This is cartoon level ... seriously. Wtf

Toxi

Banned
"We're thinking about keeping tabs on Muslim immigrants by forcing them to wear some symbol in public. A religious symbol in some bright color so law enforcement can recognize them right away."

RuGalz

who will be building the wall? someone he does contacts with right? I'm sure they are tremendous people.

Volimar

Don't they do that anyway? Pretty sure if you come into the US from Syria you're going to be flagged up.

It's the same rhetoric as with the refugees. Republicans would have you believe we just let in whoever as if there's no process to go through.

Sinfamy

If you're coming into the US from a country that is known to harbor terrorists like Somalia, Syria or Iraq, it would be neglectful and stupid not to do to proper screening, of which I can hope and assume we already do.
Beefing it up is not really a problem.
But I am only in favor when it comes to screening those coming in, not those already here.

He's ready to start funneling money into his own and his buddies' construction companies. You know they're chomping at the bit to get that sweet sweet contracting money.

And yet, America chose him. The US deserves everything that's coming in the next 4 years.

If you're coming into the US from a country that is known to harbor terrorists like Somalia, Syria or Iraq, it would be neglectful and stupid not to do to proper screening.
But I am only in favor when it comes to screening those coming in, not those already here.

They already screen them.

Mortemis

Banned
"He just said that to get elected", "this is America, we'll be fine", "just give him a chance", "who cares if he has white supremacists in his cabinet, he's not racist"

I wonder how long people who say this shit will keep it up. After muslims are thrown in camps? Or is that gonna be okay and normalized by then.

Everyone saying this shit needs to shut the fuck up.

"He just said that to get elected", "this is America, we'll be fine", "just give him a chance", "who cares if he has white supremacists in his cabinet, he's not racist"

I wonder how long people who say this shit will keep it up. After muslims are thrown in camps? Or is that gonna be okay and normalized by then.

Everyone saying this shit needs to shut the fuck up.

Everything's going to be okay.

Yazzees

Between this and him filling the white house with people chomping at the bit to go to war with Iran, I'm really wondering if I'll find myself in an internment camp in another couple years despite being born and raised here by US citizens.

But I should just get over it. Sympathize with the economic anxiety people of no longer making $25/hr with no degree and how electing a blithering fatcat makes them feel better about it. And never ever call someone the r-word. Besides, Muslim isn't a race; the right-wing just treats it like one :) :) :)

Polari

This is some 1984 nightmare, god, why did we let it get this far?!

Again this is bringing back a system that only ended in 2011. Pretty bad, but not without precedent. Obama kept it running for three years.

To implement Trump's call for "extreme vetting" of some Muslim immigrants, Kobach said the immigration policy group could recommend the reinstatement of a national registry of immigrants and visitors who enter the United States on visas from countries where extremist organizations are active.

Kobach helped design the program, known as the National Security Entry-Exit Registration System, while serving in Republican President George W. Bush's Department of Justice after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks on the United States by al Qaeda militants.

Under NSEERS, people from countries deemed "higher risk" were required to undergo interrogations and fingerprinting on entering the United States. Some non-citizen male U.S. residents over the age of 16 from countries with active militant threats were required to register in person at government offices and periodically check in.

NSEERS was abandoned in 2011 after it was deemed redundant by the Department of Homeland Security and criticized by civil rights groups for unfairly targeting immigrants from Muslim- majority nations.

http://www.businessinsider.com/trump-border-wall-muslim-registry-2016-11?IR=T

SeanTSC

They won't REALLY do all this "racist" stuff guys, that was just talk! Honest!

Christ. I refuse to let this orange turd and his cabal of white supremacy be normalized.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
So basically...

-Anyone Brown
-Any Middle Easterner
-Anyone with an Arabic name
-Any Muslims

Lot of people there.

Yazzees

They won't REALLY do all this "racist" stuff guys, that was just talk! Honest!

Christ. I refuse to let this orange turd and his cabal of white supremacy be normalized.

It's too late. He appointed the literal head of Breitbart and media's just treating it with the softest gloves possible. Hurrrrr, he's a """"controversial"""" pick but ~who knows if he's really racist~?~?~.

Fuck that. Imagine the apoplectic shrieks from the right if Obama had appointed someone like Louis Farrakhan. But nothing like that is happening over this.

Regardless of whether he "connected with you" or "spoke to you", I maintain voting for him is a monstrously short sighted choice if that's your main intention.

Polari

So basically...

-Anyone Brown
-Any Middle Easterner
-Anyone with an Arabic name
-Any Muslims

Lot of people there.

Again, Obama ran this very system for three years, profiling Muslims.

Why weren't you all so outraged and declaring the apocalypse then?

subrock

For all the parallels that were drawn between Obama and Hitler, when actual fascism trots into the room the Right seems awfully complacent.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
See you on the other-side.

other-side means the chain link fences of internment camps we get thrown in.

The Gall. Interesting. Outrageous. Fuming. Annoyed. Disjointed. Not Surprised.

A few of my reactions to your post.

Toxi

Banned

Probably because Kris Kobach, a man whose most famous contribution to American politics was making a law so that Arizona law enforcement could stop anyone who looks remotely foreign, wasn't involved.

Polari

Probably because Kris Kobach, a man whose most famous contribution to American politics was making a law so that Arizona law enforcement could stop anyone who looks remotely foreign, wasn't involved.

The link I posted said he helped design the original program? Not supporting the program, just pointing out it's hardly without precedent in recent history.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
The link I posted said he helped design the original program? Not supporting the program, just pointing out it's hardly without precedent in recent history.

Get out of here with this bullshit.

Yeah your right it isn't unprecedented. Internment for the Japanese, slavery for the Blacks, deportation for the Hispanics, and ____________ for the Middle Easterners.

Fill in the blank.

Edit:

If you don't see the difference of Trump's administration versus Obama's administration doing this. Well then I have a horse, a cart, and some gold bricks to sell you because you are goddamn blind.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Well we are always considered non-humans anyways in the US so might as well just make it official.

At least now it is out of the open instead of just nudge nudge wink wink.

Amalthea

Banned
So he will simply try to do all this shit without any congressial approval, right? I mean it doesn't seem like the orange plague cares...

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Boy this is a false equivalence if I've ever seen one.

Look at his post history, it isn't surprising.

I don't know anything about Bannon, besides the fact he runs Breitbart which appears to be a site with some pretty questionable headlines. I'm not really sure what qualifies him as a "white nationalist" - that's a pretty big call. "Someone who knows history" lol, seriously? Based on what - are they a respected academic? There are plenty of reputable sources in the world beyond libellous conjecture.

Polari is on the fucking Bannon defense force, so not surprised he finds no issue with this.

My question is Polari, have you come out yet or are you still hiding your racism in the closet?

Sorry if that is libelous conjecture, or a pretty big call.

Polari

Look at his post history, it isn't surprising.

Polari is on the fucking Bannon defense force, so not surprised he finds no issue with this.

My question is Polari, have you come out yet or are you still hiding your racism in the closet?

Sorry if that is libelous conjecture, or a pretty big call.

I'm a racist now? What racist statements have I made on this forum?

Why don't you debate the facts rather than calling me a racist based on absolutely nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom