• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Immigration hardliner says Trump team preparing mulling Muslim registry

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
I'm a racist now? What racist statements have I made on this forum?

Sorry, but if you are going to defend guys like Bannon and trivialize things like this, you are supporting racism and you know what you don't have to say anything racist to do it!

Polari

Sorry, but if you are going to defend guys like Bannon and trivialize things like this, you are supporting racism and you know what you don't have to say anything racist to do it!

Pretty sure I called him despicable and disgusting, but if you want to debate this further we can PM or take it back to that thread.

Doesn't make sense

There is already a database of those who have been vetted during the immigration process. But that list is a product of the background check. What would another list be used for?

The danger of importing a violent Jihadi is that they can act as a lone wolf or be radicalised. But unless you're going to actively monitor the day-to-day lives of thousands of Muslim immigrants, such a list would be useless.

But more to the point; monitoring. I don't think there is a middle argument here when it comes to the refugee crisis. You either ban Muslim immigrants, or allow their free entry (with the vetting that can be done). Putting them on a public registry of sorts is obviously unacceptable not to mention impractical.

Enco

Doesn't make sense

There is already a database of those who have been vetted during the immigration process. But that list is a product of the background check. What would another list be used for?

The danger of importing a violent Jihadi is that they can act as a lone wolf or be radicalised. But unless you're going to actively monitor the day-to-day lives of thousands of Muslim immigrants, such a list would be useless.
Who knows any more.

How would this work though? Is it just brown people or will they ask everyone if they're Muslim? Brown doesn't always = Muslim.

Let's just hope it's not a new list because that shit will definitely be a slippery slope.

1. List of people saying they're Muslim
2. Extra online monitoring of said people
3. Flagging of any application that they make (e.g. Jobs/guns etc)
4. Victimisation and isolation

Sounds great. At least America will be safe right?????

RuGalz

Make that list visible like sex offenders... there are plenty of Trump supporters willing to do their civic duty to monitor these people... Nothing can go wrong there!

danthefan

What does this registry even look like? I already have to give my fingerprints and all my personal details to get into the US, what would change?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
What we know of the FBI's history, who is to say it doesn't already exist?

In some form, I bet it already does.

It's a 100% certainty. Just the fact that the Muslims community have lived under constant surveillance is proof enough of this.

Like I said, at the very least now the fact that people want to put Muslims in the list of some registry like we are carrying incurable genetic disease or something is a thing that is out in the open, instead of just nudge nudge wink wink we're working together with you wink wink but we're gonna put heavy surveillance up your arse wink wink.

Malfunky

"When that Muslim registration program gets started the first 8K people in line better be white people.” - Linda Sarsour

Time for us to step the fuck up, eh comrades?

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
By Mica Rosenberg and Julia Edwards Ainsley | NEW YORK/WASHINGTON
An architect of anti-immigration efforts who says he is advising President-elect Donald Trump said the new administration could push ahead rapidly on construction of a U.S.-Mexico border wall without seeking immediate congressional approval.

Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach, who helped write tough immigration laws in Arizona and elsewhere, said in an interview that Trump's policy advisers had also discussed drafting a proposal for his consideration to reinstate a registry for immigrants from Muslim countries.

Kobach, who media reports say is a key member of Trump's transition team, said he had participated in regular conference calls with about a dozen Trump immigration advisers for the past two to three months.

Trump's transition team did not respond to requests for confirmation of Kobach's role. The president-elect has not committed to following any specific recommendations from advisory groups.

Trump, who scored an upset victory last week over Democrat Hillary Clinton, made building a wall on the U.S.-Mexico border a central issue of his campaign and has pledged to step up immigration enforcement against the country’s 11 million undocumented immigrants. He has also said he supports “extreme vetting” of Muslims entering the United States as a national security measure.

Kobach told Reuters last Friday that the immigration group had discussed drafting executive orders for the president-elect's review "so that Trump and the Department of Homeland Security hit the ground running."

To implement Trump's call for "extreme vetting" of some Muslim immigrants, Kobach said the immigration policy group could recommend the reinstatement of a national registry of immigrants and visitors who enter the United States on visas from countries where extremist organizations are active.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...c72a&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

I oppose this with every fiber of my being

Again, Obama ran this very system for three years, profiling Muslims.

Why weren't you all so outraged and declaring the apocalypse then?

OH GEE I WONDER MAYBE BECAUSE OBAMA WASN'T A FUCKING RACIST WORKING WITH LITERAL NAZIS AND KLANSMEN

How hard is it to understand that your analogy is flawed?

StayDead

An architect of anti-immigration efforts who says he is advising President-elect Donald Trump said the new administration could push ahead rapidly on construction of a U.S.-Mexico border wall without seeking immediate congressional approval.

Wouldn't this be illegal and therefore lead to them being thrown out?

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
"We're thinking about keeping tabs on Muslim immigrants by forcing them to wear some symbol in public. A religious symbol in some bright color so law enforcement can recognize them right away."

"And just to show them there's no hard feelings, we'll round them all up and send them on vacation starting with a relaxing train ride and ending at a nice camp where they'll be given free room and board as well as cushy jobs!"

KRod-57

Banned
To implement Trump's call for "extreme vetting" of some Muslim immigrants, Kobach said the immigration policy group could recommend the reinstatement of a national registry of immigrants and visitors who enter the United States on visas from countries where extremist organizations are active.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...c72a&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

That doesn't sound like they're talking about Muslims exclusively, but anyone coming from countries that are considered to have high "extremist" activity.

Why do I interpret it this way?

1. They're talking about the "reinstatement" of these registries, meaning they're looking to use a prior practice. There are no prior registries based on religion, but there have been past cases based on country of origin

and 2. Visas do not include religious information, but they do include a country of origin, thus you can create additional registries for visas based on country of origin, but you cannot based on religion.

Maybe I'm wrong though, and they are actually looking to create registries based on being Muslim. In which case, that is absolutely disgusting and unconstitutional

jett

D-Member
Are there still people out there hopeful that Trump was just talking about bullshit during the campaign? Your country is about to become truly deplorable and shameful.

Polari

How hard is it to understand that your analogy is flawed?

It's not an analogy, as I said it's the bringing back the same program. The same program. It probably needs repeating once more, because comments like "Wow, is it 1935 already?" make me think people don't quite understand it - it's the same program that operated under Bush and Obama. No-one has said anything in this thread about how they expect it to be any different under a Trump administration - screaming about Nazis and klansmen doesn't mean much, what substantive differences do you expect where this program is concerned compared to how it operated under Bush and Obama? It already meant everyone entering from a list of countries that profiled Muslims pretty hard (24 out of the 25 were majority Muslim countries) were fingerprinted, photographed and interrogated upon entering the US.

The US already has a pretty strict process for immigrants and refugees coming there. I don't see what more will really add to it. This will do nothing for illegal immigration, since those don't register anyway. And it's not like the US is taking in an unmanageable amount of refugees at the moment for who you need more checks.

Waste of time and money to do some "extreme" checks or whatever.

KRod-57

Banned
The US already has a pretty strict process for immigrants and refugees coming there. I don't see what more will really add to it. This will do nothing for illegal immigration, since those don't register anyway. And it's not like the US is taking in an unmanageable amount of refugees at the moment for who you need more checks.

Waste of time and money to do some "extreme" checks or whatever.

Yep, it actually takes upward of 2 years before refugees from Syria are even allowed into the country, refugees are already being vetted. Obama pledged to take in 10,000 Syrian refugees, what critics of this pledge don't mention is we took in 100,000 Iraqi refugees before Obama ever took office. Obama's pledge is actually quite small, in my opinion it should be more, because we're actually in a better position than our European allies, all the refugees brought here are people who are already of refugee status, whereas in Europe people are arriving first and them applying for refugee status (mostly because they are arriving by land from the overcrowded refugee camps in Turkey, Lebanon, and Jordan)

In regards to the registration thing being talked about, I don't believe it is based on religion, but on country of origin. I explained why I think this is in post #76

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
It's not an analogy, as I said it's the bringing back the same program. The same program. It probably needs repeating once more, because comments like "Wow, is it 1935 already?" make me think people don't quite understand it - it's the same program that operated under Bush and Obama. No-one has said anything in this thread about how they expect it to be any different under a Trump administration - screaming about Nazis and klansmen doesn't mean much, what substantive differences do you expect where this program is concerned compared to how it operated under Bush and Obama? It already meant everyone entering from a list of countries that profiled Muslims pretty hard (24 out of the 25 were majority Muslim countries) were fingerprinted, photographed and interrogated upon entering the US.

You are fucking clueless if you don't see the difference.

RiZ III

This is what they're doing before they're even in the White House. Just imagine what is going to happen when they are given 4 years.

This is exactly why I'm looking at jobs overseas right now. My wife is a Canadian citizen so that's my first option right now. Im genuinely scared by all of this. I think Muslims who are able to leave this country should really consider the option. We are all sitting ducks here. It's only a matter of time before the FBI starts showing up at our doors questioning and detaining us. It happened after 9/11 and it's gonna be way worse now. I wouldn't put it past this administration to freeze Muslim bank accounts and put travel restrictions in the aftermath of a terror attack.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
I keep telling people that the Trump administration shouldn't be compared to Nazis, but these fuckers make it harder and harder everyday to continue to do that.

At this point they are inviting the comparisons.

They are reaching cartoon levels of evil, w...T...F

dramatis

If you're coming into the US from a country that is known to harbor terrorists like Somalia, Syria or Iraq, it would be neglectful and stupid not to do to proper screening, of which I can hope and assume we already do.
Beefing it up is not really a problem.
But I am only in favor when it comes to screening those coming in, not those already here.
You think it's that simple, but on the most recent This American Life episode, a Canadian called her immigration lawyer to ask if her status in the US would be threatened because she came from a country that was taking in Syrian refugees. Germany has taken in a million refugees, should we start screening and registering Germans who come to the US? And so on.

If you're thinking, that's preposterous, we should just screen from those terrorist nations, but why can't a terrorist go through one of those other countries before heading to the US?

dave is ok

aztek is ok
NSEERS is just a waste of money. But it also existed for ten years and no one really knew or cared - people only freak out now because it's Trump.

Piggus

This a list that I guess my fiancée will be on should it go into effect before she gets her visa. Fuck these bigoted assholes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom