• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

impressions wanted of GTA:SA from non-fans of the series

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
when its out, obviously - but I'll forget if I don't post now.

I really wanted to like GTA III, but thought it was shit. I was enjoying it right up until I had to go on foot and gun down a bunch of loons in Chinatown. The on-foot was crap and it put me right off the game.

Later I picked up a used copy of Vice City, tempted by the era/soundtrack, and supposed improvements. It mostly left me cold (I'm just driving around here not doing much)

So I'd like to hear impressions of SA from anyone who felt the same, but is giving SA a shot anyway. I'd like to like it - it sounds fun, but so far just leaves me cold.

Exactly what did you dislike about GTA3? Alot of the onfoot stuff has been cleaned up in SA. You now free aim with any weapon, the lock on system has been adjusted.

I never played GTA3 (2 minutes doesn't count), but I preordered Vice City and I had a pretty good time with it, although I did not bother to finish the game, it still sits on my shelf unfinished, but I think I got my money's worth out of the game... I really didn't think I would buy another GTA this generation, and I wasn't hyped about SA at all at first, but when more and more details about the game started coming out, I got psyched about, and I currently can't wait to play it. Heck I had a dream about it last night :p

But then again, for some reason or another, I have a feeling that I'm gonna be somewhat disappointed with San Andreas... we'll see.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"I'm looking for NBA Live Impresions from Metroid fans."

i do not like the way that i don't have to identify the basket before i can slam dunk ("slam dunk" being an ability that i should have to earn after initially having it in some opening sequence, but lost after being struck by lighting or after contracting an alien disease or something).

Also, the final slam dunk that i score that wins the game should be ironically aided by a member of the other team which will add depth to every single victory i achieve.

After the final ceremony, i will be sexxored by losing finalist Kobe Belmont against my will, but i will be accused of having sex with a pikmin twice prior to any impending legal action.

Later I picked up a used copy of Vice City, tempted by the era/soundtrack, and supposed improvements. It mostly left me cold (I'm just driving around here not doing much)

Well yeah! That's not the point of the game to "drive around here and do nothing". There are missions to do, which opens new area, etc. It's a game, not a sandbox.

DCharlie

"It's a game, not a sandbox."

it's both. and that's the appeal of the series surely?

DCharlie said:
"It's a game, not a sandbox."

it's both. and that's the appeal of the series surely?

Yeah, but you can't say : "I don't like the game because all I do is driving around." That's what I meant.

DCharlie

""I don't like the game because all I do is driving around." That's what I meant"

oh - sure.
if some one says that, then they have the memory span of... of a... well, a memory spa... WOW look at that truck! ... looks like it's from Idaho...

.... nice and blue...

anyways, what were you saying about the price of fish?

;)

DCharlie

it's almost like the Wookie Defence....

(really looking forward to GTA:SA , just to make things a tad clearer)

Mrbob

Save your money for Halo 2.

I'll let you know between Tuesday/Thursday when I get the game. Not a huge fan of GTA3 and Vice City, but I figure I've falllen for the SA hype train and will give it a shot.

Mrbob said:
Save your money for Halo 2.

I'll let you know between Tuesday/Thursday when I get the game. Not a huge fan of GTA3 and Vice City, but I figure I've falllen for the SA hype train and will give it a shot.

OMG. Did you just say : SAVE YOUR MONEY FOR HALO 2?!?

OMG OMG. For Halo 2?! WTF. Arrrrrr'.

Littleberu said:

Beyond the obvious trolling, what's wrong with saving for Halo 2 and waiting? If the game rocks, he can run out and pick it up after "non-fan" reviews come in. If it sucks for "non-fans" then he's saved money for Halo 2 which will surely rock. :D

Littleberu said:

Hey at least he didn't recommend Fable to someone who was asking about Gradius V, yes it happened in another thread.

Red Mercury said:
Beyond the obvious trolling, what's wrong with saving for Halo 2 and waiting? If the game rocks, he can run out and pick it up after "non-fan" reviews come in. If it sucks for "non-fans" then he's saved money for Halo 2 which will surely rock. :D

... Huh. Why would Halo 2 rock and not GTA:SA? TELL ME?!

You can't play pool, basketball or video games in Halo, can you? End of discussion.

lol.. that's a weak argument. You can't shoot aliens, and throw plasma gernades, or pilot a alien tank.. SO by your logic then Halo 2 is better than GTA:SA. Honestly, I am just as excited about GTA:SA as most people... I just felt it was a bit over-reactive to think that waiting would be such a horrible idea.

Red Mercury said:
lol.. that's a weak argument. You can't shoot aliens, and throw plasma gernades, or pilot a alien tank.. SO by your logic then Halo 2 is better than GTA:SA. Honestly, I am just as excited about GTA:SA as most people... I just felt it was a bit over-reactive to think that waiting would be such a horrible idea.

No but I'm joking. I.e. : Not serious.

And how do you know you can't shoot aliens in GTA:SA?

Littleberu said:
No but I'm joking. I.e. : Not serious.

And how do you know you can't shoot aliens in GTA:SA?

lol good point.

And hey if you were joking, then no big deal... my brain is running on minimal sleep and an inventory night at work last night. Not fun. But GTA:SA soon!

Mrbob

Rockstar should do some cross licensing with MS/Bungie and let Master Chief run around in San Andreas Xbox with all his gear, including air and land vehicles.

I thought that the GTA series on PS2 are boring... okay fun for like 5 hours but the mission structure bored me. Fun but short lived. Without the hype, I won't have been remotely keen. Lack polish. Ugly graphics + sub standard animation.

segasonic

mrklaw said:
I really wanted to like GTA III, but thought it was shit. I was enjoying it right up until I had to go on foot and gun down a bunch of loons in Chinatown. The on-foot was crap and it put me right off the game.

Hehe, that's exactly where I got stuck. Crap game.

Vice City was much better though.

SolidSnakex said:
That mission is easy. You don't have to shoot them, your mission is to kill them so go ahead and run them all over.

Exactly. The fun part in GTA, is that they are so many ways to complete a mission.

Mrbob

bishoptl said:
next guy to mention Halo 2 gets punted until November 10th

:lol

:(

What else are we gonna talk about for two days? The game isn't out yet! Or are you giving open approval for pr8s to post impressions so you can get your GTA fix?? :p

Mrbob said:
:lol

:(

What else are we gonna talk about for two days? The game isn't out yet! Or are you giving open approval for pr8s to post impressions so you can get your GTA fix?? :p

OH, let me post videos from pirate version! !! OH OH! PIRATE LIFE FOR ME! :p

bloke

I didn't like any GTA games so far, but played this at my yarrr homiez place today, and it was the shit, like someone said it's like being in motherfucking NWA video. I mean any game where you hanging around with Eazy-E clone character doing shit can't be bad. City is damn huge. Vocabulary is constantly on bitch/nigga/motherfucker level, kinda funny. The only problem is framerate, pretty horrendous at places.

bloke said:
I didn't like any GTA games so far, but played this at my yarrr homiez place today, and it was the shit, like someone said it's like being in motherfucking NWA video. I mean any game where you hanging around with Eazy-E clone character doing shit can't be bad. City is damn huge. Vocabulary is constantly on bitch/nigga/motherfucker level, kinda funny. The only problem is framerate, pretty horrendous at places.

10638483571.jpg

mrklaw

MrArseFace
fucking hell. Well I guess its not the flamefest that it could have been, and for that I am thankful :)

I suppose I'm still interested simply because of the massive amount of people that loved the first two (or maybe just Vice City?), but they left me cold. It ticks all the right boxes too - all the sandbox stuff, doing what I feel like.

Maybe I'll wait. November is too crowded anyway, what with other games coming out too.

segasonic said:
You can't drive into Chinatown...

Are you talking about this one?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
TONI CIPRIANI: "TRIADS AND TRIBULATIONS"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are now ordered to kill afew Triad Warlords located around
Chinatown, you get some help as well, 2 mafia members.

Grab a reasonably fast car, and wait for the Mafia memebers to get in.
Head to the Blip that is at the little staircase going up in Chinatown.
Kill the 3 guys in the middle of the place here just by running them
over and one of them is the Warlord. Next head into deep chinatown
territory and get out of your car near the "Punk Noodles" area. Let the
Mafia guys shoot the Triads, and you just go straight for the Triad
Warlord indicated by the radar and the arrow. Eliminate him with your
weapon. Sprint it out of Chinatown before you get shot to pieces, don't
worry about the Mafia guys, they will just head off killing all the
Triads they encounter. Next, head down to Atlantic Queys and steal a
'Belly up Fish truck' and drive it into the part with the blip to the
fish factory. The gates will poen, kill the first few guys sround the
croner and in front of you and get out and kill the main warlord and you
have done the mission.