• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In An Apparent First, Police Used A Robot To Kill

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkKyo

you are incorrect. I am not defending anything, but I am unsurprised that this is what some look for or draw out.

If the decision was your call, how would you choose to kill him and why would it be less morally reprehensible(to you) than blowing the guy up? We're all still trying to figure out what your issue with this is.

akira28

If the decision was your call, how would you choose to kill him and why would it be less morally reprehensible than blowing the guy up? We're all still trying to figure out what your issue with this is.

So is the pathway ahead chucking a bomb at this guy because I'm afraid he has more bombs and he might start using them later rather than sooner for some reason? because...

i guess my whole issue is the execution of it all.

Definitely not okay with giving police free reign to use lethal force with drones. This needs to be heavily scrutinized. I have no issue to killing the suspect here but it shouldn't be the police's job to come up with new and interesting ways to kill people.

DarkKyo

So is the pathway ahead chucking a bomb at this guy because I'm afraid he has more bombs and he might start using them later rather than sooner for some reason? because...

i guess my whole issue is the execution of it all.

Uhh.. no.. the pathway to this decision is that he is a psychopath who just ambushed and murdered multiple people in cold blood and is prepared and able to take out as many people who try to stop him as he possibly can.

The good thing about modern robots is that they aren't sentient or conscious yet, so having a single robot finish the guy makes a fuck ton more sense than sending actual sentient/conscious beings to die when they don't have to. Is this resolved for you yet?

Future

Definitely not okay with giving police free reign to use lethal force with drones. This needs to be heavily scrutinized. I have no issue to killing the suspect here but it shouldn't be the police's job to come up with new and interesting ways to kill people.

They thought outside the box and ended someone's life that was a threat to officers and the general public, while threatening to detonate bombs that could have harmed more people if true. Scrutinizing the method of eliminating the threat seems absurd in his case, since the method chosen didn't put anyone else at risk and worked quickly and efficiently

They decided it was the best option after 4 hours of negotiation, while the suspect was firing at them the entire time. He was heavily armed and armored and threatened to explode bombs remotely.

I feel that the context of the situation is makes it a viable method without resulting in more cops being killed.

Of course, this shouldn't be an solution the police take lightly or use regularly.

akira28

we could perhaps even do away with the entire corrupt justice system and just send a killbot. We have a psychopathic killer armed and holed up in this parking garage, no exits, what should we do? Send in a bomb with tank treads and call it an evening, justice is served.

So how would you have done it, akira28?

I would have gotten a bunch of water tankers and flooded the entire garage with water and then waited 12 hours and then go collect him after he's exhausted from doing the dog paddle in body armor. since you wanted to know.

Fat4all

Banned
we could perhaps even do away with the entire corrupt justice system and just send a killbot. We have a psychopathic killer armed and holed up in this parking garage, no exits, what should we do? Send in a bomb with tank treads and call it an evening, justice is served.

So you do think they made the choice to kill him lightly.

Fuck off with this nonsense.

Dishwalla

Banned
I'm just curious if the killbot really managed to come up on him without him noticing, it would have to have been steathy quiet.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Yeah, I'll go with the "I'm okay with it in this instance, but I fear for the precedent it establishes" camp on this one.

Police Bombchus are definitely going to lead to some ugly consequences when accidents happen.

pigeon

Banned
The delivery mechanism is the only thing that should raise an eyebrow.

That's actually the most defensible part, to my mind.

If you're okay with killing this guy from a safe vantage point, as a sniper might have in a different situation, then I don't really see why you should care that a remote-controlled robot did it instead. That's safer for the officers, after all.

Frankly, I think drones would have a lot of advantages over human police officers. They can't claim to fear for their lives and if they disable their camera they literally crash. They would remove a lot of the behaviors that police use to justify and conceal unnecessary violence.

Gravidee

Reminds me of that episode of TCW when Cad Bane placed a bomb inside his droid and basically sent him to die unknowingly by entering a room full of Jedi.

He later survived of course. Somehow.

They decided it was the best option after 4 hours of negotiation, while the suspect was firing at them the entire time. He was heavily armed and armored and threatened to explode bombs remotely.

I feel that the context of the situation is makes it a viable method without resulting in more cops being killed.

Of course, this shouldn't be an solution the police take lightly or use regularly.

Sure it may have the "best" option in this particular case but this shouldn't be in the standard playbook of law enforcement. There needs to be proper oversight to justify using this method. Maybe a warrant to authorize this kind of force or something. My point is using lethal force by drone isn't something I'd trust the police to deploy.

akira28

So you do think they made the choice to kill him lightly.

Fuck off with this nonsense.

were you waiting behind the door with that club all this time? you could have knocked, I would have let you in. also no, your pull still is just a pull.

I think they were stressed and desperate and also fatigued and in pain, but I also think they made the wrong decision and took a bad course of action in killing the sniper with a remote controlled bomb.

The Lamp

My friend doing a PhD in sociology gave her two cents that she's reluctant to be okay with this because it is a form of militarization by the police. I kind of have to agree that it sets an interesting ethical question.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I would have gotten a bunch of water tankers and flooded the entire garage with water and then waited 12 hours and then go collect him after he's exhausted from doing the dog paddle in body armor. since you wanted to know.

It'd be easier to discern what your actual point is if you didn't reply with sarcasm and snark each time someone replied to you. As it stands, I've no clue why you have an issue with how things went down aside from you just not approving of it.

akira28

It'd be easier to discern what your actual point is if you didn't reply with sarcasm and snark each time someone replied to you. As it stands, I've no clue why you have an issue with how things went down aside from you just not approving of it.

how would you have done it Einchy? "I would have gotten an actual remote control car from walmart. 2 of them on sale, and then some duct tape and grenades. fuck that guy, boom!"

DarkKyo

we could perhaps even do away with the entire corrupt justice system and just send a killbot. We have a psychopathic killer armed and holed up in this parking garage, no exits, what should we do? Send in a bomb with tank treads and call it an evening, justice is served..

You've got to be fucking kidding me. Nobody is suggesting kill bots become the new justice system. This was a situation that was going to end in the criminals death no matter what. How many police lives is it worth it to get this guy into the court system? 6? 10? 20? You're letting your hatred of the police affect your intelligence and your rationality, you know better than this.

Fat4all

Banned
I think they were stressed and desperate and also fatigued and in pain, but I also think they made the wrong decision and took a bad course of action in killing the sniper with a remote controlled bomb.

Not everyone can be taken in alive. That's the short and long of it. Even accounting for the possibility that the sniper could of committed suicide before they could reach him, there was still a high risk factor to both the police and the civilians on the scene in the time before then.

They don't take these decisions for granted, and I don't think them being fatigued caused them to just say "fuck it, send in the bomb". They have other people deciding these things besides the people on site and in person.

You've got to be fucking kidding me. Nobody is suggesting kill bots become the new justice system. This was a situation that was going to end in the criminals death no matter what. How many police lives is it worth it to get this guy into the court system? 6? 10? 20? You're letting your hatred of the police affect your intelligence and your rationality, you know better than this.

If he came out with his hands up, he should receive due process right?

pigeon

Banned
IMO, it's the only thing about the endgame that is extremely abnormal.

Sure. Like I suggested, if you're okay with snipers but not with this, I think you should think about why. They don't strike me as meaningfully distinct in this situation.

Lead

Banned
Might aswell use airstrikes, I mean dead is dead right?
The militarization of the American police is sickening to me.

Personally I would've sent Judge Dredd in

Sure. Like I suggested, if you're okay with snipers but not with this, I think you should think about why. They don't strike me as meaningfully distinct in this situation.

I'm of the same thought process, I think. I didn't follow the situation overnight so I don't want to delve too far in, though.

daman824

I have no problem with something like this. The issue comes with the spying aspect for me. If someone HAS to die, and there is a way to take ONLY them out using a robot, then yeah go for it.

jchap

I'd be okay even if they sent these in

bronco_zpsvcinzzp8.gif

GamerSoul

I mean after hours of negotiations the guy didn't give himself up and kept making threats...there was no reason to risk even more lives at that point.

akira28

Not everyone can be taken in alive. That's the short and long of it. Even accounting for the possibility that the sniper could of committed suicide before they could reach him, there was still a high risk factor to both the police and the civilians on the scene in the time before then.

They don't take these decisions for granted, and I don't think them being fatigued caused them to just say "fuck it, send in the bomb". They have other people deciding these things besides the people on site and in person.

the barrier broken the precedent set the hypothetical next time it'll be much easier to justify unless people take some hard stances. do we execute criminals with ease once we have the ability if it means zero loss of innocent life and then how do you say no to that?

DarkKyo

the barrier broken the precedent set the hypothetical next time it'll be much easier to justify unless people take some hard stances. do we execute criminals with ease once we have the ability if it means zero loss of innocent life and then how do you say no to that?

You act like this is the first time we've had to kill a dangerous psychopath who would have kept killing until he ran out of ammo... this actually isn't a new concept at all. The safer it can be done though, the better. This precedent is about method, not concept.

akira28

people fall down slopes every day.

and people are still pushing this invincible killer that will kill until killed narrative which is very convenient for justifying this thing that already happened. If it were a different world under different circumstances I wouldn't care. But in this world, it makes me pause and comment.

Fat4all

Banned

The precedent has been there for many years with swat snipers. If the decision is made that someone needs to be killed to prevent a larger amount of deaths then it will likely happen, explosion or not. Lots of these large standoffs end with the perpetrator either committing suicide by their own hand or suicide by police as well, those people can't be taken in alive.

Aurongel

Perhaps we should all shelve the paranoia of law enforcement drones attacking us all for speeding violations until it actually becomes a reality. Because right now the only instance of this being used was for the most completely justifiable reason possible.

Drones being used in place of human SWAT members during a tense standoff with a violent and trained killing machine sounds like a fucking great idea to me. Using them during lesser crimes? Not so defensible.

Media

I think they did what they had to do, like I said. No one would be questioning this move if a sniper had taken him down. They weren't able to snipe him, or otherwise neutralize him, so they came up with a way to do it without further loss of life.

akira28

Perhaps we should all shelve the paranoia of law enforcement drones attacking us all for speeding violations until it actually becomes a reality. Because right now the only instance of this being used was for the most completely justifiable reason possible.

Drones being used in place of human SWAT members during a tense standoff with a violent and trained killing machine sounds like a fucking great idea to me. Using them during lesser crimes? Not so defensible.

he wasn't a killing machine though. he was killed by the killing machine. anyway interesting discussion. we made it to page 3

Your slope is made of straw.

yours is made of bricks. and its located in an area with high property taxes. and you ignored proper zoning laws.

Lead

Banned
I think they did what they had to do, like I said. No one would be questioning this move if a sniper had taken him down. They weren't able to snipe him, or otherwise neutralize him, so they came up with a way to do it without further loss of life.
Yeah, next time something like this happens, and it's convenient to do so, they might as well just call in an airstrike or something, I mean no reason to risk human lives and dead is dead.

Sayter

Might aswell use airstrikes, I mean dead is dead right?
The militarization of the American police is sickening to me.

You're the one who's defended the second amendment, right? If so then I find this hypocritical coming from you.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I don't like the precedent that it might set.
I also don't want the police militarizing the police even more.

Media

Yeah, next time something like this happens, and it's convenient to do so, they might as well just call in an airstrike or something, I mean no reason to risk human lives and dead is dead.

I don't think that is what anyone is saying here. They made use of the tools they had at their disposal after five hours of failed negotiations and continued shooting from the suspect. If they had rushed him, he would have gotten his wish of taking out more cops while they took him down. If they waited, he could have slipped away, rushed them in an attempt to kill more of them before his death, or detonated the bombs he claimed to have everywhere.

They didn't want anyone else to die in this guys crusade. They made a choice, and it wasn't a light one.

If you seriously think that cops will now be using airstrikes against bank robbers, I don't know what to tell other than that I strongly disagree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom